Author Topic: NES Gamepad Mouse  (Read 4162 times)

Offline itlnstln

NES Gamepad Mouse
« on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 10:13:39 »

Offline FKSSR

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 10:19:40 »
Totally sweet.  I think the d-pad on the side could work if it was in the right position, directly where the thumb would rest
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline itlnstln

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 10:20:49 »
Quote from: FKSSR;88306
Totally sweet. I think the d-pad on the side could work if it was in the right position, directly where the thumb would rest

That would be my only complaint as well.  The D-pad seems to sit too far back on the side of the mouse.

Offline o2dazone

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 10:21:25 »
I grew up in the NES era. I played ExciteBike religiously, "saving" the tracks I made by leaving the NES on over night. I played Fire and Ice, made my own levels, and even used my dad's manual Canon to save my work so I could replicate it for later use. You bet your ass I played Narc, and Marble Madness and SMB 3 (hold duck on the white box near the end of the first level) and Contra. I was a h....I am a huge nerd. I haven't forgotten about any of those times. Hell...I can even remember walking home from school, to see that my parents forgot to pick me up because they were in a heated Dr. Mario match.

And for some reason, I can't embrace this whole NES retro junk that gets spewed all over the market. A cool nintendo shirt, alright fine. NES Controller belt buckle...eh...maybe. NES Mouse? This all leads to the "I'm a nerd let me prove it to you" which is honestly just retarded. The whole "geek is chic" thing drives me up the wall.

Understandably the link you posted doesn't really fall into this category, as art really has no definition or whatever they call it. I just wanted to rant.

edit: sorry, haven't taken my morning meds
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2009, 10:33:47 by o2dazone »

Offline Alpha Omicron

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 11:18:18 »
I would buy that. As it stands, software exists to let you use pretty much any joystick/gamepad as a mouse, but it's mostly just a novelty.
I type on a DASK3ULT using the Colemak keyboard layout.[/SIZE]

Offline D-EJ915

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 11:42:04 »
Needs a middle finger button but looks pretty cool

Offline Alpha Omicron

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 12:26:36 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;88324
Needs a middle finger button but looks pretty cool
That would ruin the NES aesthetic. At that point, you might as well make an entirely different mouse (with more of the ergonomic and functional features of recent mice).
I type on a DASK3ULT using the Colemak keyboard layout.[/SIZE]

Offline FKSSR

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 13:16:49 »
I agree that a middle button would ruin the aesthetic.

I think the d-pad could be used like a scroll wheel plus a back and forward.  That would be perfect for me.

Offline IBI

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 13:49:35 »
Quote from: Alpha Omicron;88331
That would ruin the NES aesthetic. At that point, you might as well make an entirely different mouse (with more of the ergonomic and functional features of recent mice).

You know, the megadrive controller had three buttons.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline itlnstln

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 13:55:24 »
Quote from: IBI;88344
You know, the megadrive controller had three buttons.

Yeah, they could be the turbo buttons on the NES Max and Advantage.  IMO, you would still lose some of the nostalgia factor, though.  Now if you had a Powerglove mouse, well, that would be playing with power.

Offline FKSSR

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 15:20:40 »
Personally, I was a bigger Sega fan, so I'd like to see a Master System mouse :D

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 16:28:09 »
The color and styling of the nes mouse would make it pair nicely with an M.

Offline FKSSR

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 16:29:21 »
Yeah, especially if you put a red Esc key and some black arrow keys....

Offline D-EJ915

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 21:23:14 »
Quote from: Alpha Omicron;88331

a mouse with only 2 buttons is worthless though
Quote from: FKSSR;88360
Personally, I was a bigger Sega fan, so I'd like to see a Master System mouse :D

I'll take a version based on the genesis controller with the extra buttons. link
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2009, 21:25:42 by D-EJ915 »

Offline Eclairz

NES Gamepad Mouse
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 May 2009, 08:30:02 »
How about this

leave "a" and "b" buttons in their place
beside them (not in between) put the d-pad
and on the side of the mouse put the start and select buttons for backward and forward

The Mouse would be larger at the end but if razer can do a mouse like that why can't nintendo? Also the d-pad could be used for 4 way scrolling.

The mouse would of course be entirely unergonomic unless they made the "a" and "b" buttons larger. and rounded it more but then you would lose the style of nintendo of yesteryear
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad