Author Topic: QTronix Libra 90 Trackball  (Read 4754 times)

Offline bigpook

QTronix Libra 90 Trackball
« on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 20:40:11 »
Anyone familiar with this particular trackball?

link
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 20:43:57 »
Well, here is a pretty scathing review on Amazon.

link

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 21:01:13 »
It's got a somewhat ergo-erotic shape that looks like it might actually be more comfortable to use than the brick-of-a-base some other trackballs call home.

Eek. Review of death, that's too bad.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 21:04:28 »
right, I like the shape of it if only because I think it would be comfortable to use. I
like that the middle button is below the ball instead of above it too.

But the reviewer throws it under the bus...

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 21:20:33 »
Quote from: bigpook;89976
right, I like the shape of it if only because I think it would be comfortable to use. I
like that the middle button is below the ball instead of above it too.

But the reviewer throws it under the bus...

Well, the price is right. Not much to lose; could be mod'ble.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 21:24:26 »
Quote from: majestouch;89985
Well, the price is right. Not much to lose; could be mod'ble.

I thought that too. If it turns out to be a dog I wouldn't be out much. Its odd that there was only 1 review on Amazon, definitely not a good sign but the guys at trackballworld.com are selling them. I would think if they were that bad they would have a high return rate, and they would then stop selling them.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 22:14:19 »
I was born with a thumb trackball in my hand, so these ambidextrous balls usually don't appeal to me, but let us know if you try it out.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 May 2009, 17:12:12 »
iOne/Qtronix is the maker of those Scorpious keyboards that die on everyone, right? Seems like the company has a bit of a QC problem. I also don't like the way that trackball doesnt have any scrolling thingy.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 May 2009, 17:33:37 »
I was able to get one on ebay, supposedly NIB for under 20 shipped. I will post some pics when I get it.
On anther note, the ebay seller that I got the CH mouse from just emailed me and told me that they can't find it !? Maybe it just walked off or something.
I am hoping for a refund on that one.

Offline pmyshkin

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 02:06:39 »
This thing looks almost identical to a no-name trackball I owned like 10 years ago. That thing had a serial connector though, so the circuits are probably different. I remember the big problem with the one I owned was that when the ball got dirty, it tended to want to "jump" off its rollers as you spun it, and would get stuck against the casing ring (and make an annoying sound). So I ended up having to wash the ball and rollers every few weeks. I think the buttons also got unresponsive after a while.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 20:15:17 »
The one I am getting off of ebay has a serial connector also. I don't have very high expectations but for the price I paid I can't go wrong. I like the look of it, but I also liked the look of the CST and that messed up my elbow. We'll see how this works out.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 20:37:52 »
He refunded me via paypal and said he would let me know if it turned back up.

He made an effort and offered me a kensington expert and some other trackball I never heard of.
 I got the impression this is all just stuff to them. He had a good rating also so I am thinking maybe one of the "co-workers" looked it up and saw the high price tag and snagged it for himself. Like price means quality or something.

I have my eye out for one, but I don't want to pay what trackball world is asking for it. I can build a small computer for that kind of money.

From the pictures I have seen of it, it looks like it might work for me. I am realizing that I like it when the ball is sitting up high on the chassis. The CST was somewhat lower down. But the position of the wrist is an important consideration too.
My kensington expert, orbit and the logitech marble mouse have the ball up high. It makes it easier for me to use.