Author Topic: Any love for MouseKeys?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Any love for MouseKeys?
« on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 05:36:39 »
Any fans of MouseKeys here, the keyboard-based mouse emulation? Seemingly having quite a history in X and being a standard "accessibility feature" in Windows, it should be present on a wide range of systems.

It's not like I'd want to use it exclusively, but it comes in handy is some situations.
Suppose you have a keyboard on your knees because there is no proper space for it on desk for some reason but the mouse still is up there, then MouseKeys will spare you from having to reach up. (That I guess also is why they sell compact boards with integrated pointing devices.)
I also feel that numpad 5 is more easily and precisely operated than e.g. the left mouse button, so sometimes I like to use this to click.
Finally, some practice with this might even make me grok the trackpoint... (If you're not used to these, you'll have a mighty hard time getting the mouse pointer where you want. I know I did.)
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline pmyshkin

Any love for MouseKeys?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 13:46:50 »
I think the problem with mousekeys is that there's no way to vary pointer speed easily. That means either you're going to always overshoot or always take forever to get the pointer to where you want it.

Plus I see no point in using them for any text editing task, the only case in which you'd have to reach between mouse and keyboard frequently enough for it to be annoying. The arrow/hjkl/fbnp keys + appropriate jumping modifiers (word, sentence, etc.) would probably get the cursor to where you want faster and more accurately.

And if you want to use it for window arrangement in X, just get a decent tiling window manager instead. Most of them let you do everything efficiently by keyboard.

Quote from: keyb_gr;90389
Finally, some practice with this might even make me grok the trackpoint... (If you're not used to these, you'll have a mighty hard time getting the mouse pointer where you want. I know I did.)

I always found the trackpoint easy to use and acceptably accurate. In fact, I've played first person shooters with them with decent results.

Offline o2dazone

Any love for MouseKeys?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 14:31:58 »
Citation needed

edit: Oh 'that you've seen'...well that's a little bit different.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2009, 14:34:00 by o2dazone »

Offline o2dazone

Any love for MouseKeys?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 15:18:05 »
That's pretty interesting. From the fields I come from, it's considered "noobish" to have both hands on a keyboard and nothing on the mouse. Names like "keyboard turner" crop up quickly lol...I'll have to youtube some videos or something. Sounds....interesting, if anything.