Author Topic: [IC] Keychron Q3 - TKL  (Read 33447 times)

Offline cheswick

• https://cheswick.dev/
    • cheswick.dev
[IC] Keychron Q3 - TKL
« on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 07:06:40 »
Q3
by Keychron
Website 
Discord
  • Full aluminium body
  • Gasket mount
  • TKL layout
  • Out of the box QMK & VIA support
  • Gateron screw-in stabs
  • 5Pin ANSI/ISO hotswap PCB [southfacing]
  • Preinstalled Force case mod/Top break mod [silicon between top and bottom case]
  • South facing LEDs
  • Physical switch to switch between layers *Explanation down belown
  • Barebones: 149$
  • Fully assembled: 169$

Our concept was to make a true gasket-mounted full aluminium keyboard that would provide excellent flexibility for typing. And it can be customized and adjusted exactly the way you want it to be. So we made it fully support QMK and VIA, making it easy for everyone to program every keystroke. For this we upgraded the chip to a STM and we changed the ribbon cable to a normal cable so its not that easy to break it for people new to this.

*You don't have to use this switch, you can also switch through the layers purely by using VIA, it's just something on top where u can switch between 2 set layers.
As an example:
Switch state 1: VIA layer 1
Switch state 2: VIA layer 3

Options

Board options
  • Fully assembled version including Gateron Pro switches and PBT keycaps OSA profile [OEM height and SA look][atm ANSI only!]: 169$
  • Barebone: 149USD

Case colors
  • Carbon Black
  • Space Gray
  • Navy Blue

Plate options
  • Steel [default]
  • FR4
  • PC
  • Brass

Size
  • Width: 137mm
  • Lenght: 365.17mm
  • Front Height: 23.77mm
  • Back Height: 32.64mm
  • Feet Height: 2.7mm
  • Angle: 5.26 degree
  • Weight: 1.96 Kilogramm

Informations
We are working on the first prototypes; this will be an unlimited run of the board, and real-life photos of the boards will be available later.
The estimated launch for this board is expected to be Q1 2022

Edit:
- WKL, rotary knob(F13), tsangan bottom row are things we are working on and may come in a separate run. To keep the price as low as it is, we need to make the board as simple as possible and appeal to as many customers as possible.

- Bluetooth isnt there, because BT and VIA arent working together, Keychron devs are on it but aslong VIA dont work with BT we will hold on wired only.

For release we now have 2 versions:
TKL:

TKL with Knob:
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 December 2021, 05:41:54 by cheswick »

Offline Poesjuh

[IC] Keychron Q3 - TKL
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 07:13:07 »
First

And as a question: would be nice to see the internals as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline swifthunting

Re: [IC] Keychron Q3 - TKL
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 07:13:52 »
Keychron has been on a roll with these Q series boards. Really great value for money, and a great entry point for those who are new to the hobby. Not a TKL person myself (the Q2 is more my speed) but really love the design language of all these Q boards, and the overall direction Keychron has been going in.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 07:15:10 »
First
And as a question: would be nice to see the internals as well.

Internal pictures will be added later
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 November 2021, 07:17:33 by cheswick »

Offline tordj88

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 08:14:09 »
Please ensure there is enough clearance in the top housing for the keycaps. With the q1, there is a chance that the keycaps will touch the top housing if the gaskets are not placed properly.

Another idea is to make sure that the gasket is easy to attach correctly. Owlab's gasket sock is a good example.

Offline LJ_Dude

• Listen to my crappy music on Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 08:55:30 »
Dude, this looks great. Definitely going to get it to replace my gmmk tkl once I have the money.

I just have one question: do QMK and/or VIA work on Linux, specifically Ubuntu 20.04?

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 09:24:26 »
Dude, this looks great. Definitely going to get it to replace my gmmk tkl once I have the money.

I just have one question: do QMK and/or VIA work on Linux, specifically Ubuntu 20.04?
qmk doesn't run on the computer, it works independently of the OS.
via does support linux

Offline chyll2

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 09:27:15 »
Is WKL option part of the plan?

Offline nightrai

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 09:47:26 »
Is there a rotary knob option?

Offline GetRickRolld

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 10:10:12 »
finally, a budget TKL that is gasket mounted

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 10:35:02 »
WKL, rotary knob(F13), tsangan bottom row is stuff we try to put into a limited run on the Q3 but we have to check on this later on

Offline HugoChowsky

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 11:39:06 »
Please consider tsangan bottom row. Thanks.

Offline sayers

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 11:48:32 »
IMO F13 is a great idea, either you have an extra key for use/place for artisan or unusual spot for a knob which shouldn't be that bad. The tsangan bottom layout might be tricky because with other options there would be a lot of variations of PCBs and trying to do this with alternative keys in north facing is kinda ugly but maybe thats just me

Offline stidal

• milo#3939
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 13:42:13 »
pre-installed 'force break' mod is pretty sick. glad to see that community feedback/solutions are being implemented in a more elegant way to solve these boards' issues
transition tkl // aksara ce // bully // valhalla // voyager // rs60 // adiuvare // ciel60 // jules // prime e // ut47.2 // sequence // bumper // q1 // gaff60

Offline synchromatik

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 14:04:25 »
WKL/Wireless options plox

Offline alexfry

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 14:51:39 »
I’d really love to see it in a plain silver/clear anno finish.

Will the PCB be cross compatible with the C1 TKL?

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 16:06:04 »
WKL or at least tsangan optional row pls

Offline Akele

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 16:16:40 »
Please ensure there is enough clearance in the top housing for the keycaps. With the q1, there is a chance that the keycaps will touch the top housing if the gaskets are not placed properly.

Yes, if you could make this board so it's compatible with non-ISO keycaps like MT3, DSA, etc, that'd be great. The interference issues with MT3 keycaps on the Q1 are rather annoying.

Offline ropetight

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 16:29:11 »

Yes, if you could make this board so it's compatible with non-ISO keycaps like MT3, DSA, etc, that'd be great. The interference issues with MT3 keycaps on the Q1 are rather annoying.

This. Also interested.
GMMK Pro Keebwerk Bushi MT3 /dev/tty
Leopold FC 980M
Filco Majestouch 2 Convertible

Offline yuityr

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 16:47:52 »
Would be interested in a wireless option for this.

Offline breckstar

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 17:19:32 »
In for a cheap TKL.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 17:35:09 »
Wireless and VIA dont work together, keychron is on it to implement BT into VIA.
For the corners keychron is working on it. Unluckly MT3 fitted on the review units but saw afterwards when we got feedback from customers, that it could happen per unit, that mt3 dont fit sometimes. We worked on it so smth like this wont happen again.

Offline quantumlocke

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 18:48:38 »
Are you taking feedback? Because the spacing on the F-row is terrible. I’m interested in a Q series TKL in theory, but this weird F-row spacing is a dealbreaker for me. You could probably fit an F13 or a knob I there. If you don’t want to, that’s fine, but at least evenly distribute the F keys across the available space.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 18:49:41 »
Are you taking feedback? Because the spacing on the F-row is terrible. I’m interested in a Q series TKL in theory, but this weird F-row spacing is a dealbreaker for me. You could probably fit an F13 or a knob I there. If you don’t want to, that’s fine, but at least evenly distribute the F keys across the available space.
Yes I am, we are already thinking about making it a F13 layout where a badge/rotary knob/artisan could fit

Offline potato_panda-

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 22:28:36 »
Wireless and VIA dont work together, keychron is on it to implement BT into VIA.
For the corners keychron is working on it. Unluckly MT3 fitted on the review units but saw afterwards when we got feedback from customers, that it could happen per unit, that mt3 dont fit sometimes. We worked on it so smth like this wont happen again.

When you say you've worked on it so it wont happen again, does that mean future batches of the Q1 wont have this issue? Been looking at getting one but I'm worried about the MT3 issue.

Offline Twin_5thDrop

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 22:47:47 »
i like this alot plz make it

Offline poutine

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 23:15:31 »
Would be interested in a wireless option for this.

would love to see the possibility for bluetooth connection like with the other keychron boards

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 02:39:06 »

That is literally a traditional TKL F-row!more TKLs have this spacing than F13. I like the way it looks, so I vote to keep the F-row layout the way it is !!
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline Akele

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 04:21:31 »

Thanks for the response. Really glad to hear that Keychron will ensure future keyboard are compatible with MT3 keycaps.

Offline Sandersoni

• andidas.com
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 13:11:58 »
Nice.
Looking for a white case colour. Also curious for a transparent case option.
Wireless/Bluetooth option would be nice.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 November 2021, 13:13:50 by Sandersoni »

Offline lw88

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 01:35:22 »
I hope that the case bottom is thicker to reduce reverb and that the side gaskets are gone for a bit of extra softness.

If you do that you'll be absolutely leagues ahead of glorious.

Offline SRTChrisS1

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 01:44:51 »
I'm surprised that the target price of this will be the same as the Q1 despite weighing more.

Offline bansheetango

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 09:10:28 »
No backlight? Didn't see it mentioned anywhere. It was nice to have on the Q1.

Offline moh18one

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 13:02:18 »

It is (south facing) according to their website.

Offline unni

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 13:31:06 »
from where do u get the 4 types of plate info ? nothing mentioned in neither in their website nor in facebook group

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 06:35:41 »
I hope that the case bottom is thicker to reduce reverb and that the side gaskets are gone for a bit of extra softness.

If you do that you'll be absolutely leagues ahead of glorious.
If you dont want to use teh side gaskets, just dont install them :D But yes bottom case is thicker

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 06:37:28 »
Will have normal backlight like all other boards too, will add southfacing LEDs to the post

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 06:38:45 »
from where do u get the 4 types of plate info ? nothing mentioned in neither in their website nor in facebook group

Cause im the guy behind the boards who had the idea etc? Im working together with keychron to make this happen. Im not employeed or paid, just doing this in my freetime to give new people in the hobby a better budget entry compared to the entry options I had when I joined.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 07:19:59 »

Cause im the guy behind the boards who had the idea etc? Im working together with keychron to make this happen. Im not employeed or paid, just doing this in my freetime to give new people in the hobby a better budget entry compared to the entry options I had when I joined.
Thanks a lot for the contribution, also do you have anyplans for a 65s layout with 2 macro columns on the right side for keychron? Like this:

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 07:30:19 »

Thanks a lot for the contribution, also do you have anyplans for a 65s layout with 2 macro columns on the right side for keychron? Like this:

Ur welcome. Special layouts like this will maybe be a thing later on. First we wanna cover all normal layouts and will start with alice stuff afterwards and southpaw etc

Offline autobot

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 12:06:16 »
Interested, but will wait for a WKL/stepped caps lock layout, and some more unique finishes like olive/cyan/e-yellow

Is stepped caps lock possible with hot swap? Never seen it, never understood why. If it is possible, it’d be quite a differentiator.

Offline Reebes

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 12:25:20 »
Reading that BT isn’t comparable with VIA, but the ikki68 lists via compatibility for the Bluetooth variant. Is that a mislabeling on their part?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 14:41:23 »
Reading that BT isn’t comparable with VIA, but the ikki68 lists via compatibility for the Bluetooth variant. Is that a mislabeling on their part?

Its tricky, as far as I know (dont own an Ikki68) this can only be done atleast atm by using the ikki in wired mode when configuring it in via and after that in Bluetooth mode it will use the safed setting from the wired setup.
Hope you got what I tried to say

Offline Reebes

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 14:47:30 »

Its tricky, as far as I know (dont own an Ikki68) this can only be done atleast atm by using the ikki in wired mode when configuring it in via and after that in Bluetooth mode it will use the safed setting from the wired setup.
Hope you got what I tried to say
Interesting. That actually doesn’t seem like a very significant compromise to me. If I understand correctly, the only thing the ikki68 CAN’T do is configure using VIA over Bluetooth? Seeing as how needing VIA would be pretty rare after the first time, this doesn’t appear to be a big deal at all.

If the same design can be applied to this board, I’ll be picking up a BT version for sure!

Offline growler

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 14:49:12 »
The plot thickens....

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Don't just stare at it ...

Offline piit79

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 04:01:15 »
Interested, but will wait for a WKL/stepped caps lock layout, and some more unique finishes like olive/cyan/e-yellow

Is stepped caps lock possible with hot swap? Never seen it, never understood why. If it is possible, it’d be quite a differentiator.

AFAIK stepped caps-lock should be possible with hotswap sockets - the socket for one two option would have to be rotated 180 degrees (ie., the switch would be in the "north-facing" orientation as opposed to the usual "south-facing" one). Cherry switches are known to have some issues with the north-facing at least in one of the rows, not sure if it's relevant for R3 (where Caps Lock is).

Offline Necrolegion

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 04:19:04 »
Any chance for a Tsangan layout with stepped Caps Lock?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 04:51:55 »
TKL:

TKL with Knob:

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 06:02:20 »
TKL:
Show Image

TKL with Knob:
Show Image

Same price for both versions?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 14:45:45 »
Same price for both versions?

Edit: NO should be 149$ Barebones, 169$ fully assembled for knobleses and +10$ for knob
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 December 2021, 09:27:21 by cheswick »