Author Topic: Jut got a new Unicom QT Ultra-Classic  (Read 2152 times)

Offline BucklingSpring

Jut got a new Unicom QT Ultra-Classic
« on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 14:56:59 »
I have original IBM rubber dome Ms and I was wondering how an old RD feels compare to a new one.

So I ordered a spanking new Unicomp Quiet Touch Ultra Classic.

The difference in feel between a 20 year old RD M and this new Unicomp is next to none. I say the Unicomp QT is the closest cheap thing to buy to get a sens of what a 55g Topre would feel like without trying one. The sound is a bit different though. The Unicomp QT is a bit louder.

This is my first Unicomp in years. The fit and finish of my old ones are better than the new unit I just got.

The new one is more plasticky, the edges are sharper and above all, there is some sort of plastic distortion on the spacebar that we can see and feel.
13508-0

I'm going to send a note to Unicomp Customer Service and see if I can get a replacement Spacebar.
I'll round the sharp edges with a soft sand paper. No biggie.

This message was written with the QT and this is honestly one of the most rewarding typing experience for the price :-)
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:33:50 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: Jut got a new Unicom QT Ultra-Classic
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:07:03 »
They're really helpful with keys that are not really up to standard.  I had one key that would not secure into place when I received my my ultra classic and they mailed me out a replacement that very day, I hope you get a replacement!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:21:28 »
That can happen from plastic shrinkage as it cools.  You see it from time to time on Model M's as well, but it does seem to happen more with Unicomp keys.  They should take care of you.
Russ

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:30:09 »
They're really helpful with keys that are not really up to standard.  I had one key that would not secure into place when I received my my ultra classic and they mailed me out a replacement that very day, I hope you get a replacement!

I'm not worry at all. I'm a long time Unicomp customer and they never failed to impress with their customer support. Once I even messed with one of IBM M and they sent me a couple of small replacement parts for free. I mean the keyboard didn't even originate from them. These guys are great to deal with.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:41:27 »
Holly cow!!!

Date: 2013-02-15 15:19:56   Customer requesting replacement spacebar
Date: 2013-02-15 15:33:33   Affirmative response from Customer service

Resolution in less than 15mins  :eek:
=============================Customer Request========================
Date: 2013-02-15 15:19:56
Name: Bucklingspring

I just received a QT Ultra Classic (black case/grey keys) and there
is a plastic distortion on the spacebar that I can see and feel.

Do you think it would be possible to send me a replacement spacebar?

Bucklingspring
PS: Say hi to Chuck Cropper if he is still around.
=============================AFFIRMATIVE RESPONSE========================
Date: 2013-02-15 15:33:33
Name: Customer Service

We'll mail you a new spacebar on Monday. Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,

Customer Service
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:46:00 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Warduke

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:55:43 »
Yeah Unicomp has really good customer service.
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 16:03:17 »
Can you post some audio of what it sounds like?

I'll see what I can do.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 23:04:40 »
lol sweet good to know they have good customer service.  I'm buying a Unicomp Ultra Classic later this year  :D

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 00:28:58 »
Do you know if the keys are ABS or PBT?  I know they are not Model M compatible but do they feel the same?

The keys are PBT and are based on the M mold. The difference is that the center section where the spring slots in is filled in for the rubber dome version of the keycaps.
And yes, I just checked my rubber dome OTB parts donor.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 03:52:02 »
How does it compare to one of the good KeyTronic RDs? That is another one that I've heard compared to Topre.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 04:08:44 »
How does it compare to one of the good KeyTronic RDs? That is another one that I've heard compared to Topre.

Frankly, Keytronic's top end is better than the Unicomp. The Unicomp rubber dome while far from being current HP levels of failure, is it's own distinct brand of failure. The actuation is extremely jarring, and the only reason you don't 'bottom out' is because the very thick domes stop the travel beforehand. You know those pill sheets where you press the pill through the foil? They're THAT kinda shape, for want of a better way to describe it. They're pop domes, like Trouble (from MB!)
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 11:35:29 »
I just try the stack of dimes (Canadian 2000+ = 1.75g)

1984 IBM M 71G aka Quiet Touch -> 36 dimes -> 63g
2013 Unicomp QT Ultra-Quiet       -> 32 dimes -> 56g

~11% stiffer after 29 years!!!! - But I don't know if they both use the same dome material.

I used the E key on both. Got lazy to try multiple keys for weight consistency test.
Boards I own, click ->
More