Author Topic: [GB] Apple IIGS keyboards [assort.variety] group buy - SHIPPED!  (Read 8763 times)

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
Up for grabs are a few Apple IIGS keyboards, 2 versions:

part number: 658-4081 w/ ORANGE ALPS key switches & dyesubed keycaps - 18 units

model A9M0330 w/ SMK MONTEREY WHITE & doubleshot keycaps - 8 units

Otherwise known as the Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard. Wiki page here for more details: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Apple_Desktop_Bus_Keyboard

This is for *USED* *AS-IS* keyboards
Odds are on the buyer's side though as these are pretty robust boards. I've personally bought 7 various Apple ALPS mechs sold "as-is" from varying locations and conditions and they've all worked perfectly even the one that had its case compromised by USPS.

I ended up buying one of these off ebay via the great finds subforum and picked it up locally where I discovered that the seller had a lot more of these boards for sale. Through discussion with the seller, they are willing to sell the rest of the boards in bulk at a discounted price that's less than what I paid for my single board.

The one I got, and the boards from this group buy will be along the lines of this condition with no missing caps:
Switches were not scratchy.

There's been some interest already expressed. Any other takers?

There are definitely not enough cables for every keyboard, probably only a handful! ASSUME you will not receive an ADB cable. Said ADB cable can be substituted with any S-video cable however.
You will need a griffin iMate to use the keyboard with a modern computer.

Currently, there are:
ALL GONE! Thanks you guys!

Changes: $17 per board
$13.52 - USPS priority (1 - 3 days) for 1 board
$15.80 - USPS priority (1 - 3 days) for 2 boards (maybe 3*)
+Group buy fee: $3 for 1 board, $5 for 2 boards (to cover the unforeseen considering I am selling these at cost!)
+PAYPAL FEES (buyer pays!)
CONUS only. Transshippers ok.

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l51aOkxIvlRdGYxHTw5-cpxLc1Tb1la66UiRGZf-dWA/edit?usp=sharing

PLEASE NOTE: I am doing this completely for the team; I do not gain from any of this.
To keep costs lowest can be, with savings passed onto group buy participants, I will be safely packing the boards with newspaper.

Post updated 5/20/2015 10:14PM PST - SHIPPED!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2015, 00:14:51 by Vanilla »

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
Re: [GB] Orange Alps Apple IIGS keyboard 658-4081 mini-group buy
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 15:38:02 »
Original interest check thread here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71541

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
Re: [GB] Orange Alps Apple IIGS keyboard 658-4081 mini-group buy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 15:38:08 »
RESERVED

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
UPDATE: there are only boards with SMK monterey white switches & doubleshot keycaps left!

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
It looks like everybody who has expressed interest and got into the group buy for *orange ALPS* boards have confirmed.
Paypal invoices will be sent out shortly.

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
Update: all invoices to those that made it in and responded with a paypalable email address have been sent!

Like the saying goes, the faster everybody posts payment, the quicker the boards will arrive!  ;D

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
The vast majority of funds have been collected!
Great job you guys!

I will be picking up the boards either today or on monday.

Officially, all orange ALPS boards have been spoken and paid for.

There are still a handful of SMK monterey white boards left for those who want in on the last minute.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
anticipation intensifies

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Bull1919

What is the price for the white SKM board? Sorry I didn't pick up on it.

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
What is the price for the white SKM board? Sorry I didn't pick up on it.

The board is $17 alone but with shipping and fees and whatnot it'll come to $34.83 out the door.

Please be aware you would need a ADB to usb adapter to use this with a modern MAC or PC. And most likely a ADB OR s-video cable.

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
Last call for the SMK white boards!

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
I can't believe it.

Somebody saw this groupbuy and stole some of the keyboards from our hands. They offered more money for 10 of them and I can't believe the supplier let that go while we had an agreement.

Since there clearly aren't enough to go around I will be refunding people their costs and swallowing the paypal fee myself (thank lord for the groupbuy fee).

As a result of that person's actions, there are 8 orange ALPS boards left.

Participants will be receiving PM's and full refunds soon in the case you did not make it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Somebody saw this groupbuy and stole some of the keyboards from our hands. They offered more money for 10 of them and I can't believe the supplier let that go while we had an agreement.

Bad on the seller for accepting their offer while having an agreement with you.

Did they tell you who this douchebag is who snagged the 10 boards?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
I can't believe it.

Since there clearly aren't enough to go around I will be refunding people their costs and swallowing the paypal fee myself (thank lord for the groupbuy fee).

As a result of that person's actions, there are 8 orange ALPS boards left.

Participants will be receiving PM's and full refunds soon in the case you did not make it.
You mean you didn't tell the supplier that you would be ordering them all :( And there aren't any paypal fees as PP refunds them with the invoice refund

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable

They would not say and I'm not a person to make a scene.

You mean you didn't tell the supplier that you would be ordering them all :( And there aren't any paypal fees as PP refunds them with the invoice refund

I clearly told that to them. They did not let me know until I went there money in hand.
I believe I lose $.30 to paypal on each refunded invoice.

THIS only affects people getting orange boards. People getting white SMK boards are fine.
Whoever bought them from under us explicitly wanted the orange ALPS. This would be a more opportune time to use that word I misused earlier: GREED.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore

I clearly told that to them. They did not let me know until I went there money in hand.

THIS only affects people getting orange boards. People getting white SMK boards are fine.
Whoever bought them from under us explicitly wanted the orange ALPS. This would be a more opportune time to use that word I misused earlier: GREED.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. Well, **** that person, and yep, properly using that word this time.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.

I guess we will know when we start seeing some builds from people who didn't order from this buy. Not that you can't get them elsewhere, but it makes you suspect.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
As for the orange ALPS participants I am going to randomly use a random number chooser to raffle off who gets the boards or not.
If your number (on farthest left column the spreadsheet) is chosen you will receive your order of boards as usual.
If your number is not chosen, you will be refunded your full paypal amount promptly.

It is very unfortunate this happened and I am sorry for any inconvenience or dashed expectations.
I believe this is the only fair way go forward.

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
Some good news! The supplier felt bad and managed to dig up 6 more orange ALPS boards somewhere!

The bad news, there is still not enough to go around to everybody who was interested and the above still has to stand.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
I will give up my board

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
I will give up my board

You made it in ;)
I already refunded those that didn't make it in.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
I will give up my board

You made it in ;)
I already refunded those that didn't make it in.
Oh okay, thanks!

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
Re: [GB] Apple IIGS keyboards [assort.variety] group buy - shipping
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 18:16:09 »
Here they are guys!

In all their fruity glory

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 22:50:02 »
Got my tracking info email. Thanks for all your work on this!

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 00:12:10 »
Ranks filed and ready for their new homes

Offline unoab

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 17:09:53 »
Ranks filed and ready for their new homes

Thanks Vanilla for all the work to get these out!  Mine just came in the mail today and they feel great, I feel they are more tactile than the clears I have in my phantom.  Also, when other people start receiving them I would be curious if anyone else notices that some of the boards seem to have a clicky amber alps on the left shift.  Only one board I got has that, and oddly it is on the higher serial number board I got, so it must have been a later production change. edit: took it apart and the soldering job is not the same on that switch so it must have been a repair done on it at some later time.

time now to start some cleaning and see how I want to mod them (if even).
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 May 2015, 17:40:49 by unoab »

Offline wakko

Re: [GB] Apple IIGS keyboards [assort.variety] group buy - SHIPPED!
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 17:34:28 »
Received mine. Thanks. Some cleaning is in order. Maybe of switches also.
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 09:12:56 »
Mine both arrived safely over the weekend. I just got into the office and opened the package this morning. I never realized how compact these things were.

At least one of these is going to be torn apart to harvest the switches, but the other I may clean up and convert with a Teensy. We'll see. Thanks for your work, Vanilla!

My boards:
More

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 01:33:06 »
Here's a good deal for an ADB compatible cable for those who haven't bothered to get one yet:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72722.0
Pretty hard to beat $.99/each to your door.
Props to Blaise for finding.