Author Topic: Is this wrong?  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Pavilions

Is this wrong?
« on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 17:54:41 »
I have two mechanical keyboard's that I keep switching between them, Cherry MX Brown and Gateron Brown. The issue is that every day I change one of them with the other and use it for the whole day, and I can't even decide because they are similar, or maybe I feel they are similar, because sometimes I type faster on the Cherry MX Browns, and sometimes the opposite? and I think my typing speeds are getting affected, and I started to make a lot of typing mistakes. is it because of the continuous change? Should I force my self to stick with one keyboard and keep using it and not change often?[

Offline killyou

Re: Is this wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 18:11:52 »
I recommend doing what I did. Compare which switch is less scratchy and decide which weight you like more. Then stick to it and install another type of switches on the other board, linears or clicky. I alternate between Zeals and MX Blues and I'm happy although I will be swapping MX Blues for something better in the future.

Offline Pavilions

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 09:32:47 »
I recommend doing what I did. Compare which switch is less scratchy and decide which weight you like more. Then stick to it and install another type of switches on the other board, linears or clicky. I alternate between Zeals and MX Blues and I'm happy although I will be swapping MX Blues for something better in the future.

The issue is that both of them are great to type on, no issues at all but I'm used to the Cherry MX Brown even though I prefer the Gateron feels, but I think because I'm used to the Cherry MX Browns this is why I feel sometimes that I lean to the Cherry. :rolleyes:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 09:46:04 »
I don't see the problem ...

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 09:49:03 »
After a short adjustment period to get used to the springs your speed should be about the same all else being equal.  I think more information would be helpful here.

What are the mistakes - missing letters, catching the key next door or something else?  Are both boards using the same height keycaps?  Is one board more angled than the other?

It may help to use one board for a couple of weeks to lock in exactly how to best use it then swapping to the other for a couple of weeks and after that you should be able to swap more easily, but it's your head so you know best on this side of things :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fr8train

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 10:30:56 »
Don't overthink it. There's nothing inherently better about either one. Your typing speed and error rate are likely unaffected by either one. It's just that slight changes require adjustment. My advice is to pick one and roll with it.

Offline Pavilions

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 10:39:27 »
After a short adjustment period to get used to the springs your speed should be about the same all else being equal.  I think more information would be helpful here.

What are the mistakes - missing letters, catching the key next door or something else?  Are both boards using the same height keycaps?  Is one board more angled than the other?

It may help to use one board for a couple of weeks to lock in exactly how to best use it then swapping to the other for a couple of weeks and after that you should be able to swap more easily, but it's your head so you know best on this side of things :)

The cherry mx brown has a DSA keycaps, the Gateron Brown has a cherry profile keycaps and also the keyboard is a little bit high profile unlike the other one, Yes I keep mixing letters and making mistakes.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 10:52:38 »
So pretty much everything changes - that's the most confusing it can be when it comes to building muscle memory.  If you have the Cherry caps on the less sloped board you might be able to make them feel more similar by swapping the caps but it still won't be the same.

As above I would try sticking with one board for a while to get used to it - you might come to love it or, as you're the type of person who has bought two boards, you might appreciate the change more when it's actually a change rather than never having been fully used to the first board.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline titanium

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 11:15:16 »
I don't think your typing speed is affected by the boards themselves. Your posture, mental state, and fatigue of your fingers/arms are probably 99% of the reason for variance in typing speeds.

Also the fact that you are alternating keycap profiles is probably affecting you as well. Your fingers ease into that profile and they get comfortable with it and to switch profiles kind of makes them have to "relearn" the comfort.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 15:57:51 »
I enjoy swapping boards regularly, though I've finally settled on what I like best. Gaterons are nice, but inconsistent. Older,worn in,lubed mx Brown's are superior, but that's my personal opinion.  I sometimes swap boards several times in a day or use the same one for weeks.  I have yet to put the positive aspects of various boards into a single board, so switching is enjoyable to me, though there's a short adjustment period.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 16:38:26 »
Even if you get the same switch type but on 2 different keyboards, they can feel different due to the case, the plate, batch of switches, keycaps, etc.  My Lightsaver with MX Clears didn't feel the same as my significant other's Ducky Shine II with MX Clears: even the switches themselves varied in smoothness and typing feel.

I don't see why you need to decide, unless you must return one of the keyboards or you just want to use one.  If you need to decide, just use the keyboard you like more overall--you will adjust to either one.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Pavilions

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 17:11:32 »
I enjoy swapping boards regularly, though I've finally settled on what I like best. Gaterons are nice, but inconsistent. Older,worn in,lubed mx Brown's are superior, but that's my personal opinion.  I sometimes swap boards several times in a day or use the same one for weeks.  I have yet to put the positive aspects of various boards into a single board, so switching is enjoyable to me, though there's a short adjustment period.

I love cherry brown but I like gateron brown's more, also I have heard good things about zealios switches, but I don't understand which one will suit me? I like it to be same as browns or a little bit heavier but not much. Also, how does it feel to type on them?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 18:34:06 »

I love cherry brown but I like gateron brown's more, also I have heard good things about zealios switches, but I don't understand which one will suit me? I like it to be same as browns or a little bit heavier but not much. Also, how does it feel to type on them?

I would just for choose for one keyboard you really like. I mean having two keyboards with similar switches is just not needed. And about Zealios they are a clone of Cherry mx clear. It has a smooth travel bigger bump it just feels great as stock. It's heavier then Browns at the lowest you can go for is 62g. So it depends if you can adjust to heavier weight or not.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 19:18:40 »
This is wrong Kyle..  What you're doing is wrong.. !!

Offline Pavilions

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 07:37:20 »

I would just for choose for one keyboard you really like. I mean having two keyboards with similar switches is just not needed. And about Zealios they are a clone of Cherry mx clear. It has a smooth travel bigger bump it just feels great as stock. It's heavier then Browns at the lowest you can go for is 62g. So it depends if you can adjust to heavier weight or not.

Yes, I want a heavier switch than browns but not heavy as the cherry MX clears, but I don't understand the weight or these zealios switches, some people are telling me to get the 67g, they told me that it's a less heavy than the cherry MX clears? is this true? becuase what I want is a tactile switch that is a little bit heavier than browns and less heavy than clears that what I'm seeking for.

Offline juntheboon

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 11:39:50 »
Follow your heart, use whatever feels good at that moment in time.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 15:45:40 »

Yes, I want a heavier switch than browns but not heavy as the cherry MX clears, but I don't understand the weight or these zealios switches, some people are telling me to get the 67g, they told me that it's a less heavy than the cherry MX clears? is this true? becuase what I want is a tactile switch that is a little bit heavier than browns and less heavy than clears that what I'm seeking for.

I only have one Cherry MX Clear in a switch tester, but I have a board with 67g Zealios. The Zealios definitely feel lighter and slightly less tactile. They are also much smoother. Personally, I'd probably prefer the increased tactility over the smoothness.

I switch keyboards when my fingers get tired or feel tedium/restlessness. I even keep a really quiet rubber dome board at work in case all the clickiness and tactility start bugging me. For me, it's hard to find something that will feel good all the time.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Pavilions

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 15:56:40 »

I only have one Cherry MX Clear in a switch tester, but I have a board with 67g Zealios. The Zealios definitely feel lighter and slightly less tactile. They are also much smoother. Personally, I'd probably prefer the increased tactility over the smoothness.

I switch keyboards when my fingers get tired or feel tedium/restlessness. I even keep a really quiet rubber dome board at work in case all the clickiness and tactility start bugging me. For me, it's hard to find something that will feel good all the time.

I agree it's hard to find the perfect switch, I myself having trouble to find the best switch that can suit me for a long time, I keep changing and switching between them, my next try will be on Zealios because I have heard a lot of positive feedback about them. I hope it will work for me when I decide which weight should I go for.