Author Topic: [GB] Viktus Styrka By Viktus Design - Completed, Extras soonTM  (Read 33869 times)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
[GB] Viktus Styrka By Viktus Design - Completed, Extras soonTM
« on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 15:01:21 »
Viktus Styrka
By
Viktus Design

259789-0

Specifications:

• Top Mount
• 65% + Left Macros
• 8 degree board angle
• QMK and VIA support
• MX and PCB mount stabs
• 19.7mm front edge height
• ARM STM32F072CBT6 mcu
• Universal daughterboard (type-c)
• ESD protection on the daughterboard and PCB
• ~3Kg for the boards with case and plate. Brass being heavier than SS by a little bit.
• Designed in collaboration with OneCreativeMind, who came up with a beautiful idea that lead to where we are today.

Viktus Styrka Info:

Color options:
    • Wine with E-Black brass rear accent, weight and plate
    • Blue with sandblasted brass rear accent, weight and plate
    • Night sky with sandblasted stainless steel rear accent, weight and plate

Pricing:
    • Blue w/Brass: $710
    • Wine w/E-Black Brass: $725
    • Night Sky w/Stainless Steel: $740
    • Extra PCBs and extra plates as well as carbon fiber and black pom plates will be available.

Quantity:
    • MOQ of 80, with a limit of 300.

Timeline:

• Group buy opens January 25th at Noon CST and closes on March 7th at 11:59pm CST
• My goal is to have these in customers hands in Q3 2021, but subject to change.

Where to buy:

• The GB will go live on www.Viktus.Design at the above time, you can click the banner or navigate to the live gb page from the menu.
• I am accepting US and international orders and all will ship from me here in Texas.
Note: International orders might have issues with shipping calculations so there is a chance I will have to close international orders if there is a major issue. Being my first GB via my website there will be some growing pains in this area.

Layout Support:

259809-1

• ISO enter and left shift are supported on the PCB but not the included plate, I will make the plate files available later on after the buy to allow you to get custom ones made. Sorry for the inconvenience but ISO + ANSI cutouts are a no go.

• As well plate and case foam files will be available on my github on the day the GB launches if you would like to get some cut.

Who is Viktus Design?

As you can tell from my username I am BlindAssassin111 and Viktus Design from here on out is the name I will be using for sales. After a few years working on personal projects without a brand and making keyboards and keysets with TheKey.Company I have decided to go on my own to pursue my own vision for my boards.

If you aren't familiar with my work offhand, I have worked on quite a few things including Nexus Alps Sliders, TKC M0llY, TKC CandyBar, TKC1800, OSA, Crown, SP-111, GodSpeed75, Bacca60/Squid60, TKC Switch Opener, GMK Night Runner, GMK Nightshade, GMK Skyline, and more.

Viktus Design is inspired by Scandinavian automakers and the desire to create functional art. All of the board names are in Swedish and are chosen from quality traits, Styrka meaning strength. All boards are named with a leading Viktus as a call back to the name, and automakers as I mentioned, so the official name for this board is Viktus Styrka, but can be shortened to Styrka.

The board designs are not simple, as I didn't confine myself to features that were the easiest and cheapest to make. At the same time they aren't too busy and I hope that a lot of you will enjoy the designs to come.

Prototype Pictures:

259792-2

259795-3

More
259798-4

259800-5

259802-6

259804-7

259806-8

Full album:
https://imgur.com/a/xGxgAwL

Note: The prototypes were of an older version of the case and therefore assembled slightly different from the production version. This change will not affect aesthetics or sound in a noticeable way.

Build:

If you would like to watch a stream of one being built go to the following video uploaded by Mechs On Deck and enjoy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wixUX13mqTs

Also to hear a quick typing test on my prototype with holy red pandas and a brass plate please go here.

voca.ro/1klPkZUQCZHC

Special Thanks:

• OneCreativeMind for coming up with the beautiful design initially and being there along the way to help make this come to reality. Without him this venture wouldn't be possible, so if you see him around please remember to thank him for being an awesome person and friend.

• jrfhoutx for the pain in the ass firmware work that is ARM in QMK along with feedback.

• MetallicCharles for early renders and support with the board for this whole time.

• HamKenobi for the amazing pictures of the prototypes that grace this post.

More
259808-9

He put a picture of his cat in the board pictures by accident and it is too cute to not share so enjoy.  ;D

FAQ:

Are you going to make it hotswap? No.

Can I buy a version without left macros to make it cheaper? No.

Can you remove the penrail? No.

Can you add knob support? No.

Can you add a top left badge blocker? No.

Can you release the files so I can 3D print it? No.

Can you make the text on the mods blue? Uhh...I think you have the wrong form.

Why is it so expensive? The design of the board requires fairly thick stock to machine with and unfortunately material pricing and shipping have skyrocketed due to covid therefore causing every step to be more than initially anticipated. I wish I wasn't forced to sell at the above pricing but I have no choice without scrapping the project entirely (further explained down below but material pricing and shipping costs aren't projected to drop back to pre-covid until late 2021 at the earliest).

Below is a cross section view to explain just how thick everything is, the top piece alone is taller, wider and almost as deep as a jane sized TKL in full, to put this image into perspective. The rear accent might look thin in this but it actually has features that stick out into the top case to the mating face between the bottom and top.

261887-10

Updates:

To follow the project you can keep up with this thread, my website www.Viktus.Design or via the Viktus Design discord server where I will be most active and where all raffles will be held (in a separate server for verification purposes)

Discord invite: https://discord.com/invite/4w6aUKb

- March 9th: Payment sent for manufacturing to start
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 June 2022, 18:51:20 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline zekth

Re: [GB] Viktus Styrka By Viktus Design - Launches Jan 25th @ Noon CST
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 12:03:05 »
RIP images

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 13:08:34 »
Looks good! GLWGB!

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 13:22:28 »
Nice pen rack. GLWGB.

Offline knam316

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 13:47:26 »
Looks amazing!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 14:40:43 »
Get down girl go head get down

If you ain't no punk holla we want prenup! We want prenup! Yeahhhhhhhh

It' a bit expensive but it look good  :)
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline SleepyOrange

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 15:21:05 »
Finally another 65% either left macros!

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 10:00:29 »
https://clips.twitch.tv/KathishSuperPeafowlHumbleLife

I have a question but this man can't say it better.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 11:33:19 »

I answered the cost in the OP.

Offline nikolai

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 13:19:22 »
unfortunately material pricing and shipping have skyrocketed due to covid therefore causing every step to be more than initially anticipated. I wish I wasn't forced to sell at the above pricing but I have no choice without scrapping the project entirely.
nobody is forcing you to run this now though.
hi

Offline Havattack

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 22:57:14 »

"Are you going to tell me it's 25% better then a TGR!?" i didn't think about it like that... The Styrka is like 200% better then that thing, now I'm definitely going to get one!
That guy in the video is a great sales man for the Styrka!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 23:03:41 »
unfortunately material pricing and shipping have skyrocketed due to covid therefore causing every step to be more than initially anticipated. I wish I wasn't forced to sell at the above pricing but I have no choice without scrapping the project entirely.
Did you really not see this response coming?: Nobody is forcing you to buy this right now though.

Just to be clear, I am not at all happy about the price either, and might end up not getting it becasue of it. But i have never understood people getting upset over the price of none necessities, when there isn't like a monopoly and are a large multitude of other options available, that are just as easy to get.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 03:54:38 »

God damn, this kind of overreaction is exactly why I avoid twitch/youtube "streamers". His "toyota" argument is extremely flawed.

The keyboard is expensive. Too expensive for me, in fact, but that doesn't mean it's overpriced. It's unique, and I'm sure it's impossible to get this board made elsewhere to the same standard and at the same quantities for much less.

GLWGB. I'm sure people will change their minds once the board is delivered!

Offline tngpq

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 04:21:45 »

God damn, this kind of overreaction is exactly why I avoid twitch/youtube "streamers". His "toyota" argument is extremely flawed.

The keyboard is expensive. Too expensive for me, in fact, but that doesn't mean it's overpriced. It's unique, and I'm sure it's impossible to get this board made elsewhere to the same standard and at the same quantities for much less.

Yup, prime example of a garbage streamer full with negativity.

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 11:05:20 »
Did you really not see this response coming?: Nobody is forcing you to buy this right now though.

Just to be clear, I am not at all happy about the price either, and might end up not getting it becasue of it. But i have never understood people getting upset over the price of none necessities, when there isn't like a monopoly and are a large multitude of other options available, that are just as easy to get.

People get upset over pricing like this because there is an inordinate amount of cash grabbing happening in this hobby right now.  The more unavailable high end boards are, the more people will sell similarly priced items, regardless of whether it is good quality or not.  I understand the argument that you 'vote with your wallet' but that is done on an individual level.  As a whole, everything in this hobby is becoming more expensive even though the quality is not necessarily keeping up.  This increasing price to quality ratio is getting worse and worse every ic and this dynamic definitely hurts the hobby.

So if someone looks at this ic and can 'unjustify the price' I think that's totally fair game.  People should be totally free to ***** and moan if they think its an unfair price and the gb runner has the same freedom to defend themselves.

I know the gb runner explained the pricing, but tbh I just don't buy it.  This design doesn't seem particularly complex, it doesn't have a ton of premium materials and there are no new and/or novel features that the gb runner 'took a chance on'... so again, why is it so expensive?  Has a typing test even been posted?

For those of you interested in this at this price level I'm genuinely curious why.  Is it the design?  Is it the reputation of the gb maker?  What makes this particular keyboard worth over $700 to you?

Offline Havattack

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 15:18:16 »

People get upset over pricing like this because there is an inordinate amount of cash grabbing happening in this hobby right now.  The more unavailable high end boards are, the more people will sell similarly priced items, regardless of whether it is good quality or not.  I understand the argument that you 'vote with your wallet' but that is done on an individual level.  As a whole, everything in this hobby is becoming more expensive even though the quality is not necessarily keeping up.  This increasing price to quality ratio is getting worse and worse every ic and this dynamic definitely hurts the hobby.

So if someone looks at this ic and can 'unjustify the price' I think that's totally fair game.  People should be totally free to ***** and moan if they think its an unfair price and the gb runner has the same freedom to defend themselves.

I know the gb runner explained the pricing, but tbh I just don't buy it.  This design doesn't seem particularly complex, it doesn't have a ton of premium materials and there are no new and/or novel features that the gb runner 'took a chance on'... so again, why is it so expensive?  Has a typing test even been posted?

For those of you interested in this at this price level I'm genuinely curious why.  Is it the design?  Is it the reputation of the gb maker?  What makes this particular keyboard worth over $700 to you?
You make a good point.
If I do end up purchasing it, what makes it "worth it" to me, is simply that I like the design a lot (like A LOT, that build stream just made the keyboard seem so... solid and well done.), don't feel like waiting for a cheaper alternative to come along, can afford to spend that money, and don't mind possibly be overcharged by 30%~ (I'm not claiming that the GB runner is in fact over charging that much, or at all, just saying IF they were)
So i guess to try and answer your question more succinctly: Yeah, it's pretty much that i just like the design enough to warrant spending that much. I don't really care about anyone's reputation, personally.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 17:37:42 »

Yup, prime example of a garbage streamer full with negativity.

You know this man is more then just a streamer. This streamer also designs his own keyboards and does GB's. He has the kind of idea what price something should cost based on how complex it looks to CNC and coat. There is a reason he is overreacting also at 80 units still 700+ means one. he has a big ass margin on the boards two. How the boards get CNC'd is not optimized. three. Super expensive factory and i hope its in Switzerland if its that expensive lol.

There have been super high quality boards at 450 dollars or even lower believe it or not back in the day. It changed and people are charging more then ever before because they discovered that some people still pay for it even if it is overpriced.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 00:55:17 »
Look, none of you actually have one of these, so none of you have seen more than a quick glimpse on a build stream of how this is designed and put together. First, I've worked with BA previously on multiple projects, and I can tell you, he's the last designer in this community to be over pricing things just to make a quick buck. I know how long he's been working on this board, I know how much time and effort he's put into it. Second, he's a mechanical engineer by trade, he's designed and made quite a few boards at this point, and made plenty of other things before that, pretty sure that if anyone does, he knows how to optimize a design for cnc.

Anyway, lets start with the cost of materials. Now, I haven't actually seen the quote BA got for this, but just going off of quotes I have gotten recently, and the fact that I own one of the prototypes, I'm going to make some educated guesses. Hopefully he doesn't get mad at me for breaking this down like this lol

because of the size (approx 5.25-5.5" width, 15" length, 1.75-2" thickness, and you need two of them), you're looking at $300-350 worth of aluminum. just the aluminum. that's cost. without any markups. that doesn't include machine time, that doesn't include ano, that doesn't include brass or stainless parts, that doesn't include plating.

So factor in machine time, which for this will be more than normal, because you're removing a large amount of material from both halves and have multiple setups for multiple pieces (the top needs 3 setups, the bottom needs 2, 2 for the weight, and 2 for the back accent), you're looking at about $200 for machine time for all the pieces. and don't forget, we haven't priced the material for the weight or the back accent yet...

So, lets get to those. the weight is about 4"x6"x1" and the back accent is about .4"x1.5"x15". I'm going to say the brass weight is probably about $60 and the brass back is probably about $80. and I'll guess the stainless is probably about $70 and $100, respectively, for those same parts.

So, for the brass versions lets say you're at about $300 for the aluminum, $130 in brass, and $200 in machine time and finishing. That's $630 to the front door. For the stainless version $680 to the front door.

Why "to the front door"? because we haven't even factored in cost of shipping yet. anyone here shipped 650 lbs of aluminum, brass, and stainless from China any time recently? yeah didn't think so. you're looking at probably about $3k. split that up across 80 units, and you're talking another $35-40 per board. so we'll go low on that one and say $35.

now you're at $665 and $715, respectively. and that hasn't even included the PCB or plate, or shipping to the customer.

So, not including the plate or PCB, he's making $50 on a blue and brass version, and $25 on a night sky and stainless version. Throw in the PCB and plate and he's barely making anything on these boards. yep. totally sounds like he's taking advantage and gouging people...
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2021, 01:00:00 by jrfhoutx »

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 01:13:19 »
Look, none of you actually have one of these, so none of you have seen more than a quick glimpse on a build stream of how this is designed and put together. First, I've worked with BA previously on multiple projects, and I can tell you, he's the last designer in this community to be over pricing things just to make a quick buck. I know how long he's been working on this board, I know how much time and effort he's put into it. Second, he's a mechanical engineer by trade, he's designed and made quite a few boards at this point, and made plenty of other things before that, pretty sure that if anyone does, he knows how to optimize a design for cnc.

Anyway, lets start with the cost of materials. Now, I haven't actually seen the quote BA got for this, but just going off of quotes I have gotten recently, and the fact that I own one of the prototypes, I'm going to make some educated guesses. Hopefully he doesn't get mad at me for breaking this down like this lol

because of the size (approx 5.25-5.5" width, 15" length, 1.75-2" thickness, and you need two of them), you're looking at $300-350 worth of aluminum. just the aluminum. that's cost. without any markups. that doesn't include machine time, that doesn't include ano, that doesn't include brass or stainless parts, that doesn't include plating.

So factor in machine time, which for this will be more than normal, because you're removing a large amount of material from both halves and have multiple setups for multiple pieces (the top needs 3 setups, the bottom needs 2, 2 for the weight, and 2 for the back accent), you're looking at about $200 for machine time for all the pieces. and don't forget, we haven't priced the material for the weight or the back accent yet...

So, lets get to those. the weight is about 4"x6"x1" and the back accent is about .4"x1.5"x15". I'm going to say the brass weight is probably about $60 and the brass back is probably about $80. and I'll guess the stainless is probably about $70 and $100, respectively, for those same parts.

So, for the brass versions lets say you're at about $300 for the aluminum, $130 in brass, and $200 in machine time and finishing. That's $630 to the front door. For the stainless version $680 to the front door.

Why "to the front door"? because we haven't even factored in cost of shipping yet. anyone here shipped 650 lbs of aluminum, brass, and stainless from China any time recently? yeah didn't think so. you're looking at probably about $3k. split that up across 80 units, and you're talking another $35-40 per board. so we'll go low on that one and say $35.

now you're at $665 and $715, respectively. and that hasn't even included the PCB or plate, or shipping to the customer.

So, not including the plate or PCB, he's making $50 on a blue and brass version, and $25 on a night sky and stainless version. Throw in the PCB and plate and he's barely making anything on these boards. yep. totally sounds like he's taking advantage and gouging people...

Removed by poster. GLWGB
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2021, 16:46:03 by Jhambone9160 »

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 13:01:20 »
Got to $300-$350 for aluminum and laughed out loud. A 15" x 5.5" x 2" piece of bar stock 6061 aluminum is $55 on midwest steel supply. Not to mention i seriously doubt each half would have to start out anywhere near 2" thick. You need to source your misinformation.

source my misinformation, lol. you can doubt the size needed all you want, I have the board sitting right in front of me to take measurements from, or did you miss that part?

Here's the thing, you have to use a larger size stock than the thing you're machining from it. those dimensions I listed were for the board itself with a little overage just so that I could get a rough estimate (more accurately the board is 5.2x14.35x1.6) so to be safe, add .25" per side (0.5" total) to get the stock size you're machining from; and since you're using stock sizes, you may have to go a bit larger than that. that puts you at 5.5x15.5x2.1. so, yes, the size is accurate (and really damn close considering originally I mostly eyeballed it with a ruler rather than break out the calipers like I did for the more accurate measurements).

So sure, lets assume my price for the aluminum is wrong (which it very well could be, but I based it off of recent quotes I've seen and received). Anyway, using the site that you used, plate before shipping would be $116 for both halves (actual plate alu, not extruded bar stock, which needs to be machined to be useable), before shipping from the supplier to the manu. Both halves of a single case weigh 33.9lbs, shipping right now is expensive so at say $5/kg that is $76.85 bringing the total to $193 (rounded up the 15 cents) for just the top and bottom halve stock (according to the specific supplier you googled).

But if you had finished reading you would notice that the pricing estimates didn't even include plate, pcb, daughterboard, bumpons, screws and packaging so even with that change, it gets eaten up again with the other missing things.

So, now that we found another $100, lets go back to those other things...
The plate is going to be about another $30-35 per unit total. The PCB is going to be another $25-30 per unit, assembled and shipped. probably about $8 for the daughterboard and jst cable, $5-7 in screws (depending on the quality, since the screws manus use are usually trash), we'll eat the cost of bumpons, and maybe $15 for packaging. So that's another $88. wow, hey, would you look at that, that's almost that $100 we just found.

So congrats all you helped prove was that my initial estimate for the aluminum was off but that my overall estimate for the cost of the board was pretty damn close to correct, and you still showed that it's not overpriced because he's throwing a huge margin on top of cost, and that he still isn't making much per unit.

good job, now sit back down.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 14:17:09 »
Update:

Just under 5 days until the GB!!! Hope y'all are getting excited.

And to those having a fun time thread crapping please see your way out, I don't know what y'all have against me but nothing I will ever say will make you happy so please just learn to be civil and not be rude just because you feel like it.

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 03:29:48 »
Got to $300-$350 for aluminum and laughed out loud. A 15" x 5.5" x 2" piece of bar stock 6061 aluminum is $55 on midwest steel supply. Not to mention i seriously doubt each half would have to start out anywhere near 2" thick. You need to source your misinformation.

source my misinformation, lol. you can doubt the size needed all you want, I have the board sitting right in front of me to take measurements from, or did you miss that part?

Here's the thing, you have to use a larger size stock than the thing you're machining from it. those dimensions I listed were for the board itself with a little overage just so that I could get a rough estimate (more accurately the board is 5.2x14.35x1.6) so to be safe, add .25" per side (0.5" total) to get the stock size you're machining from; and since you're using stock sizes, you may have to go a bit larger than that. that puts you at 5.5x15.5x2.1. so, yes, the size is accurate (and really damn close considering originally I mostly eyeballed it with a ruler rather than break out the calipers like I did for the more accurate measurements).

So sure, lets assume my price for the aluminum is wrong (which it very well could be, but I based it off of recent quotes I've seen and received). Anyway, using the site that you used, plate before shipping would be $116 for both halves (actual plate alu, not extruded bar stock, which needs to be machined to be useable), before shipping from the supplier to the manu. Both halves of a single case weigh 33.9lbs, shipping right now is expensive so at say $5/kg that is $76.85 bringing the total to $193 (rounded up the 15 cents) for just the top and bottom halve stock (according to the specific supplier you googled).

But if you had finished reading you would notice that the pricing estimates didn't even include plate, pcb, daughterboard, bumpons, screws and packaging so even with that change, it gets eaten up again with the other missing things.

So, now that we found another $100, lets go back to those other things...
The plate is going to be about another $30-35 per unit total. The PCB is going to be another $25-30 per unit, assembled and shipped. probably about $8 for the daughterboard and jst cable, $5-7 in screws (depending on the quality, since the screws manus use are usually trash), we'll eat the cost of bumpons, and maybe $15 for packaging. So that's another $88. wow, hey, would you look at that, that's almost that $100 we just found.

So congrats all you helped prove was that my initial estimate for the aluminum was off but that my overall estimate for the cost of the board was pretty damn close to correct, and you still showed that it's not overpriced because he's throwing a huge margin on top of cost, and that he still isn't making much per unit.

good job, now sit back down.

Glad you have actual numbers and quotes to back up the price estimate.  Given the gb runners experience and reputation, its highly likely he's not "out to scam everyone" and I think this keyboard is probably priced appropriately to quoted costs.

What I don't understand is why similarly designed keyboards cost so much less.  For example the Zenith (comparable in size and weight) went for $450 (alu plate) which is considerably less.  The question is why?  Is the engraving in the weight that much more?  The Viktus IS bigger... is it the cost of the original alu block?  Is it quantity of units produced/sold?  Is shipping and production during current covid conditions worse (more expensive) that prior covid conditions?  Is it a combination of all of these things?

Look, I'm simply a consumer and I clearly don't know the ins and outs of keyboard making.  I'm not here to crap on anyone's passions.  But playing devils advocate for a spiraling-out-of-control hobby isn't a bad thing IMO.  At the current GB price, this keyboard is clearly one of the most expensive out there which means it should be the best... best looking, sounding, and feeling and it should be made with a large quantity of premium materials.  It should be almost flawless (with wiggle room for subjectivity of course).
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2021, 06:38:55 by mr_fro2000 »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 13:19:50 »
Glad you have actual numbers and quotes to back up the price estimate.  Given the gb runners experience and reputation, its highly likely he's not "out to scam everyone" and I think this keyboard is probably priced appropriately to quoted costs.

What I don't understand is why similarly designed keyboards cost so much less.  For example the Zenith (comparable in size and weight) went for $450 (alu plate) which is considerably less.  The question is why?  Is the engraving in the weight that much more?  The Viktus IS bigger... is it the cost of the original alu block?  Is it quantity of units produced/sold?  Is shipping and production during current covid conditions worse (more expensive) that prior covid conditions?  Is it a combination of all of these things?

Look, I'm simply a consumer and I clearly don't know the ins and outs of keyboard making.  I'm not here to crap on anyone's passions.  But playing devils advocate for a spiraling-out-of-control hobby isn't a bad thing IMO.  At the current GB price, this keyboard is clearly one of the most expensive out there which means it should be the best... best looking, sounding, and feeling and it should be made with a large quantity of premium materials.  It should be almost flawless (with wiggle room for subjectivity of course).

Similar layout boards will have massively different costs depending on board design. The zenith has smaller case halves from the start and fewer pieces and given it was Rama they probably had a much higher expected sales figure allowing for even lower pricing.

For example just their top piece would need one less setup for machining and is thin enough to use less material to start with. As well they split the board in a way that both sides are pretty thin, which my design couldn't do without entirely changing the look.

So if you were to just include the back accent on the styrka and then take into account the likely higher order quantity they priced at, they are easily in the $600's. And this is before you consider manufacturing and shipping are super inflated due to covid. This is due to chinese manus being told by the government to produce medical equipment instead of what they normally do for months causing a massive backlog for everyone else (causing the alu price to tank in march to may) and then once they were able to go back to doing their normal production everyone needed machine time and material but given covid it was still very hard to get it done without having issues with people getting sick and you know...dying. Shipping also became super expensive because of travel restrictions and being able to get spots on boats/planes/trucks.

Aluminum prices are just starting to trend downwards but the demand is still high because of the backlog created by the above so machining time is a premium. The timing of rama getting a quote was when aluminum pricing was still rising but lower than it was pre-covid (about 15% less than current pricing just during the gb period alone, if they quoted during say may it would be 25% less) to put that into perspective that would make them nearly the same cost after considering the extra part, stock size needed and quantity quoted at.

This is the first board I have ever done that cost more than $450 during GB, over 2300 boards sold below that but I do a single board over that and boom people hate me for being a greedy person when in reality I make less than 10% because I am trying to make it more assessible despite the rising costs. So being called greedy and a liar when I am actually giving up margin to reduce price really pisses me off (not saying you, but the others above you and on reddit). And I am still less than keycults pricing or aftermarket on any high end board because of how crazy this hobby has become. I even redesigned the entire case to try and make it cheaper to machine compared to the protos...that is a lot of work for those wondering.

If anyone doesn't believe me fine you are allowed that opinion but you are not allowed to have your own "facts" to change reality because at that point you are just a conspiracy theorist ranting on GBs for no actual reason. I even debated about showing quotes but that wouldn't change anyone's mind, I would be told I edited it or created it just to lie.

So on that note...

GB STARTS MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2021, 13:38:24 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 20:46:56 »
Thank you for the detail... everything you say makes sense and there seems to be good justification for the price.  Good luck w/ the GB!!!

Offline WilySouser

• I would RTFM, but I can't find the FM
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 21:52:50 »

"Are you going to charge me $200,000 for a Toyota Corolla"
If you're in Singapore, yes.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 20:11:54 »
GB starts tomorrow in ~16 hours. Hope to see y'alls support to make this project a reality!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 23:12:13 »
GB starts tomorrow in ~16 hours. Hope to see y'alls support to make this project a reality!

You are an awesome dude, and a  great designer (except for not putting sub-legends on your keycaps.. but hey, no ones perfect  ;) ) and i can not wait to get this!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 11:09:13 »
Update:

GB will be live in just under 1 hour!!!

Just so you know the website supports credit card only for now, I decided not to support paypal given they don't return fees if someone were to cancel their order.

International shipping may be a bit wonky so if you see an issue let me know and I can try and fix it for you.

And with that, Hopefully those of y'all that want one can get one without feeling rushed.

Link:
https://www.viktus.design/group-buys

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 11:56:13 »
I even debated about showing quotes but that wouldn't change anyone's mind, I would be told I edited it or created it just to lie.

Yeah... I don't know about this one. It'd work for me, and many others I'm sure, to see a breakdown of the costs. Just cause one or two people would cry conspiracy doesn't mean everyone would. Seems like a weak reason not to show them if people doubt pricing, but shrug.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 14:16:51 »
I even debated about showing quotes but that wouldn't change anyone's mind, I would be told I edited it or created it just to lie.

Yeah... I don't know about this one. It'd work for me, and many others I'm sure, to see a breakdown of the costs. Just cause one or two people would cry conspiracy doesn't mean everyone would. Seems like a weak reason not to show them if people doubt pricing, but shrug.

I thought the argument before was "lol just don't be poor / if you don't like the price don't buy it" now there's a demand to have runners show cost and numbers?

Offline DotMatrix

• Charue Design
    • Charue Design
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 14:54:58 »
I know that rising prices in materials, manufacturing, and shipping are being mentioned, but to throw it out there, I just finished production on a GB that started during COVID and ended during COVID that was unaffected by high aluminum prices, high manufacturing costs, and high shipping. Freight shipping from China to the US for my GB is about $8 per keyboard (in bulk). My board had 5 pieces (although 2 were fairly small) and I was able to get it manufactured quickly and at a reasonable cost to me and the GB participants.

Is it possible that on the boards that were made by BA earlier were cheaper because a vendor handled it? Now that BA is handling the production and fulfillment alone I think it's possible that the manus and suppliers that are planned to be used are overcharging and that a more proper manu can be found.

I reached out to some of my contacts/friends and no one is citing any manus being backlogged by the Chinese government enlisting them to make medical equipment, possibly it's just a select few manus that includes the one used for the Viktus Stryka.

I don't think costs/numbers need to be shown though, I just feel from my experience with fully handling my own GB that somewhere along the path from supplier -> manufacturer -> fulfillment someone is taking a larger cut than normal.

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 16:13:20 »
I know that rising prices in materials, manufacturing, and shipping are being mentioned, but to throw it out there, I just finished production on a GB that started during COVID and ended during COVID that was unaffected by high aluminum prices, high manufacturing costs, and high shipping. Freight shipping from China to the US for my GB is about $8 per keyboard (in bulk). My board had 5 pieces (although 2 were fairly small) and I was able to get it manufactured quickly and at a reasonable cost to me and the GB participants.

Is it possible that on the boards that were made by BA earlier were cheaper because a vendor handled it? Now that BA is handling the production and fulfillment alone I think it's possible that the manus and suppliers that are planned to be used are overcharging and that a more proper manu can be found.

I reached out to some of my contacts/friends and no one is citing any manus being backlogged by the Chinese government enlisting them to make medical equipment, possibly it's just a select few manus that includes the one used for the Viktus Stryka.

I don't think costs/numbers need to be shown though, I just feel from my experience with fully handling my own GB that somewhere along the path from supplier -> manufacturer -> fulfillment someone is taking a larger cut than normal.

I think the multitude of reasons for the high cost has been well covered. And I think that the reasons for differences in prices between “similar” boards has also been well covered.

I will say that I have worked on several small private buys with BA, one of which started at the beginning of COVID, and used the same manu as the Styrka. The pricing was not this high, and was more in line with what one would expect. However, it was a far more traditional design much like a lot of the boards this is being price compared to. It was a standard split case design with the mid seam, requiring much thinner blocks of aluminum.

The Styrka is about the same size as that board, both in length and height. But unlike that board, which could use two smaller pieces, the Styrka requires two pieces almost as large as a TKL. Not the halves of a TKL, the whole thing. Two pieces the size of a Jane... is that crazy? Yeah kinda. But that’s what the design calls for.

I know people keep saying that he should just show the quote or whatever. But I don't remember seeing y’all ask for quotes when the No.1 jumped $100-150 in price from Rev1 to Rev2, or when Kepler dropped at $850 or the FC65 at $800, or the No.2/65 at $800, or the Andromeda at $750. Where were you guys then? Why now and not then?

Offline DotMatrix

• Charue Design
    • Charue Design
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 16:43:23 »
I know people keep saying that he should just show the quote or whatever. But I don't remember seeing y’all ask for quotes when the No.1 jumped $100-150 in price from Rev1 to Rev2, or when Kepler dropped at $850 or the FC65 at $800, or the No.2/65 at $800, or the Andromeda at $750. Where were you guys then? Why now and not then?

Not asking for quotes, but I think you're turning a blind eye to the many that were vocal about the high prices on those boards as well. Those definitely received lots of criticism and comments about high pricing. I think you're also doing comparisons that don't work too well. New KeyCult ones are made in house, state-side vs out-sourcing. Both options have benefits and drawbacks, but raising prices while still out-sourcing don't really go hand-in-hand. Furthermore, 300 units here at $700 is different than the Andromeda, with low unit count (not to mention ai03 with one of the best track records for keyboard design). If you want to bring up the FC65 that's individually made and forged I still think it's pricy but at least it has justification beyond "manufacturing and materials costs are higher" while many GBs are able to launch at good prices.

You're right the Viktus Styrka has large pieces but I still believe somewhere along the line someone is overcharging. It might not be BA but the manu or the supplier, but if it's really a 10% profit and the costs to manu really is $630, then the design wasn't really made to be cost efficient and the manu is screwing over the prices.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 17:02:58 »

I thought the argument before was "lol just don't be poor / if you don't like the price don't buy it" now there's a demand to have runners show cost and numbers?
I mean to be fair, he brought it up. It would silence a lot of the complaints, if it's justified. Def not something that has to be done, but going "yeah I could show you, but you'd never believe me, so I'm not showing you" seems even worse.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 January 2021, 17:07:45 by Zeelobby »

Offline azzipa

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 21:27:56 »
Beautiful board. OP designed and sourced, then managed production, packaging and fulfillment. Discretionary item, so buyers can decide whether or not to buy. Or to run their own GB. Lots of options, no need to complain. Besides, would you buy it at $600? How about $500?

Is the issue pricing or your ability to swing it? Personally I think the board totally rocks and I wish I had the funds to get one. But no way is OP to blame for my situation. And no way I would snipe at anyone buying this.

tl/dr: h8rs gonna h8. GLWGB!!!

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 22:35:15 »
I'm all for designers charging whatever they want to charge. At some point, the market will decide.

If you charge too much and no one joins your GB, well, then you know what you did wrong.

Personally, I like the design of the board, but I don't think it's worth it at this price point, but that's just me.

I also 100% expect to get FOMO once these ship.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 23:25:52 »

Beautiful board. OP designed and sourced, then managed production, packaging and fulfillment. Discretionary item, so buyers can decide whether or not to buy. Or to run their own GB. Lots of options, no need to complain. Besides, would you buy it at $600? How about $500?

Is the issue pricing or your ability to swing it? Personally I think the board totally rocks and I wish I had the funds to get one. But no way is OP to blame for my situation. And no way I would snipe at anyone buying this.

tl/dr: h8rs gonna h8. GLWGB!!!

I mean. You just listed what everyone doing personal GBs does. It's not that uncommon and usually doesn't result in significant markup. At $500 I totally would consider this. I like pen rails. Feeling that something is priced too high is not hating, it's just an opinion.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Re: [GB] Viktus Styrka By Viktus Design - OPEN, closes Feb 28th
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 14:35:00 »
Update:

Just a quick update, In the first 4/5 days we have gotten to 33% of MOQ, So thank you to all of you who purchased so far!!!

At this rate I think we will hit moq so that is exciting!

We still have 4 more weeks so if you are on the fence, or waiting until the end, you still have time to fall in love with the design and order one for you to enjoy.

Link:
https://www.viktus.design/group-buys

Offline CRASHFIRE

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 12:36:13 »
I think this board looks sick. I personally have no issues with the cost. I believe him when he says it cost what it cost, in so many words. My only issue is with it is the macro keys being on the left. I like my keys on the right. Great job @BlindAssassin111 Good luck with the group buy.

Offline galdrom

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 13:40:45 »
oh that looks amazing... I can't afford it right now, but good luck

Offline gnho

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 09:52:41 »
Just sharing the explanation of why Styrka is more costly to make:

https://imgur.com/a/L2HHFbd

Guys, please join the buy!

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 13:11:26 »
I've already made a quadrouple take on this board, I think it looks great and Mechs on Deck showed that this is a hefty boi. I keep mulling it over but used a lot of funds on stocks in the past couple of weeks. Still will continue to recheck the thread, pics, and videos until I make a decision later this month.

Great Aesthetic BlindAssassin  :thumb:

I do not know much about pricing since I have never made a board, but I do love the look.  :cool:

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 19:46:34 »
I've already made a quadrouple take on this board, I think it looks great and Mechs on Deck showed that this is a hefty boi. I keep mulling it over but used a lot of funds on stocks in the past couple of weeks. Still will continue to recheck the thread, pics, and videos until I make a decision later this month.

Great Aesthetic BlindAssassin  :thumb:

I do not know much about pricing since I have never made a board, but I do love the look.  :cool:

I appreciate it! You have a few weeks to decide but don't mull it over too long.  ;)

Offline prototype26

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 20:53:09 »

The guy you replied to didn't imply anything at all about wanting to buy nor upset about it. He was just pointing out the absurdity of OP's sentence like he was held at gunpoint and was ordered to sell it now or die. Not everything has to do with desperately wanting to buy the board, just want to point out the stupid statement "forced to sell now or never".

Offline Havattack

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 21:50:46 »

The guy you replied to didn't imply anything at all about wanting to buy nor upset about it. He was just pointing out the absurdity of OP's sentence like he was held at gunpoint and was ordered to sell it now or die. Not everything has to do with desperately wanting to buy the board, just want to point out the stupid statement "forced to sell now or never".
I am well aware of that. The point is: While Blind Assassin is certainly not being forced to make this board at a time when the prices for goods are high, SIMILARLY-  No one is forcing ANYONE (that's what i meant by "you") to buy this board right now.
The "you" i mention was the "universal you". (I don't think that's the correct term for what I'm thinking of, but I'm blanking on it...)
He was just pointing out the absurdity of OP's sentence like he was held at gunpoint and was ordered to sell it now or die. Yeah, I am very aware of that too... it was my entire point... i was pointing how absurd bringing that up is. No one put a gun to Blind Assassin's head and made him  sell this right now, and no one is putting a gun to that guy's head, your head, or anyone else's head, and making them buy it right now.

Anywho, I'll be placing my order in a few days. I can not wait to get my hands on this monolith. I absolutely love it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2021, 23:37:54 by Havattack »

Offline prototype26

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 22:23:13 »

Show Image
I am well aware of that. The point is: While Blind Assassin is certainly not being forced to make this board at a time when the prices for goods are high, SIMILARLY-  No one is forcing ANYONE (that's what i meant by "you") to buy this board right now.
The "you" i mention was the "universal you". (I don't think that's the correct term for what I'm thinking of, but I'm blanking on it...)
He was just pointing out the absurdity of OP's sentence like he was held at gunpoint and was ordered to sell it now or die. Yeah, I am very aware of that... it was my entire point... i was pointing how absurd bringing that up is. No one put a gun to Blind Assassin's head and made him  sell this right now, and no one is putting a gun to that guy's head, your head, or anyone else's head, and making them buy it right now.

Anywho, I'll be placing my order in a few days. I can not wait to get my hands on this monolith. I absolutely love it.

I definitely agree with you on the sense that buyers have the option not to buy. But how does that in any way corroborate or contradict OP's statement again? You just brought up an entirely different topic to discuss and I have no idea how that has anything to do with what I was pointing out. Not sure why you have to drag buyers into the argument, whether anyone is buying or not is irrelevant and his statement is still ridiculously nonsensical.

But you do you I guess.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2021, 23:55:24 by prototype26 »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 13:42:03 »
his statement is still ridiculously nonsensical.

I don't see why but maybe understanding the fact that neither material pricing nor shipping costs will be going down significantly until late 2021 at the earliest helps? It was more of a statement that if I don't run the board around this time I will most likely never run it because at that point the project would be nearly 3 years old with another 6 months for production time on top most likely and honestly that isn't something I want to do either. So if that is absurd or nonsensical so be it, move on.

And on that note, If you enjoy the design and can afford to buy it please do. If you can't swing it I am sorry and I honestly wish I could help but that is beyond my abilities given I can't control everything in the world. And if you are just here to gripe about pricing or a statement you don't fully understand the scope of, just think it and move on there is nothing forcing you to comment. I don't understand why their is so much targeting on my project specifically when there are many boards that sell for over this that get less attention for their pricing but the horse is very, very dead now and I would appreciate it if we would stop trying to beat it 6 feet under.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 14:32:04 »
" But how does that in any way corroborate or contradict OP's statement again?" ..... Becasue HE was saying the GB runner does not have to run this right now, so I said that he (or anyone else) doesn't have to buy it right now. How is it possible for you NOT see the "corroboration" there.. They could NOT be more "related". "an entirely different topic" that is obviously not the case. Please stop being so unbelievably wrong.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2021, 14:37:03 by Havattack »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 14:25:06 »
Update:

Updated the OP to include the following in the FAQ:

Below is a cross section view to explain just how thick everything is, the top piece alone is taller, wider and almost as deep as a jane sized TKL in full, to put this image into perspective. The rear accent might look thin in this but it actually has features that stick out into the top case to the mating face between the bottom and top.

261889-0

I hope this helps some of you understand just how much material there is and needs to be removed to make this design work. If you don't believe I tried to optimize the design think about the fact I redesigned the entire thing to save $30 per customer before even starting the IC. I am not out to make a ton of money, I do this because I love designing keyboards and enjoy seeing others enjoy something I created.

With all of this said, a quick update is we have gotten a few sales the past few days and I know a few are on the fence or waiting for moq to be reached before placing an order. To those on the edge, I don't want to force you to buy but if you have the means and enjoy the design enough please go ahead and place the order but if it is beyond your budget by a significant amount I don't want you to put yourself in that position for my sake or the sake of this project. And to those waiting for moq to be reached first before ordering, I implore you to place your order sooner than later because your order could help others make the decision to join earlier and we can have a better chance of reaching moq that way.

I wish you all the best even if you don't like me, There is enough hate in this world so lets not bring that into a hobby that we are trying to enjoy together. ❤