Author Topic: [IC] GMK ADA  (Read 41476 times)

Offline Dafraz117

[IC] GMK ADA
« on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 15:36:07 »
GMK ADA

I liked the color of Veuve Clicquot's label and decided to do some googling. Turns out the color is Pantone 137C. This set is designed around a love for Pantone 137C. The legends are CR. If you would like the above banner, go to profile>modify profile>forum profile>signature>copy and paste this:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110016][img width=480 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/0bgvH1M.jpeg[/img][/url]
WHY ADA?

Ada is considered to be one of the first computer  programmers as a result of her work on Charles Babbage’s Analytical Engine and she also happens to be the child of Lord Byron, a prominent poet and rake of his time. As this is a keyset and is originally inspired by the color of a Champagne brand, it seemed fitting to name it after the mother of programming and the daughter of a debaucherous merrymaker: GMK ADA.

Sidenote: If you are a lover of history, strongly suggest reading more on both of them. 

Kitting

I copied Lightning’s kitting, with his permission, on Dolch r5 and made one slight adjustment to the extension kit (adding 2 1u spacebars). Sorry for not including the sculpt on the renders. Sculpt: 1-1-2-3-4-5. So R5 bottom row.  I’m willing to accommodate changes if it makes sense. Please use the following form for some feedback/suggestions and so I can gauge general interest in the set: https://forms.gle/b1GadEsxNXFDEF858

BASE

EXTENSION

PRICE

To be determined. Very early stages.

VENDORS

To be determined.

MATCHES YOLK?

At roughly the same time as designing this set, I ordered a Rama u80 in yolk and also some FFFF switches because I saw a photo on Instagram that showed that Matrix FFFF switches were a close match to Rama’s yolk. In the image below, you can see how close a match yolk is to the FFFF switches and also my image showing how close the FFFF switch is to a plastic sample of Pantone 137C. I had no intention of making them a close match, it just happened that way. It may not be a perfect match but it seems close. Therefore GMK ADA may be a very close match for yolk keyboards. Rama does not release color codes so I cannot confirm. As a result, I decided to include renders of a Rama Koyu in Pantone 137c. If you are interested in this set because it might be a close match with Yolk, please consult the images below and determine how close they are for yourself.

COMPARISON OF MATRIX FFFF SWITCH TO COLOR SAMPLE (taken on iphone x in direct Florida sunlight)

COMPARISON OF MATRIX FFFF SWITCH TO RAMA YOLK (Thank you Anthony Dizon for the image and help)

WHAT DOES THE COLOR LOOK LIKE IN REAL LIFE?

One of the nice things about this set is you don’t need to ponder what the color will look like in reality as opposed to on your screen. You simply need to go to your local grocery/liquor store and pick up a bottle of Veuve Clicquot. The label is the correct color. On the other hand, my plastic sample of Pantone 137C has two sides, a shiny side and a matte finished side. The shiny label on the bottle is a perfect match for the shiny side of the plastic sample. The matte side is a very tiny bit different in color. So please keep this in mind as the matte side of this plastic sample is what I will be matching the keycaps to. Another way to confirm the color is to buy Matrix FFFF switches as they seem pretty close in color. I recently bought some on ilumkb.com.

SIMILARITY TO OTHER SETS

The closest set that I could think of is GMK honey. I asked his permission and he has yet to get back to me. Pantone 137C I believe is quite different from his Pantone 123C. Pantone 137C can look almost orange if it is not in direct sunlight. You can see how different the color can look in different lightings in the photos I provided but also just by googling bottles of Veuve Clicquot and seeing how different the label looks under different lighting setups. I also use black legends and text + icon mods while he uses white legends and icon mods. In my opinion it would be equivalent to calling gmk striker too similar to GMK Masterpiece as they are both blue and Japanese themed. I personally think this set is different enough to not worry about stepping on toes. But if anyone has other sets that I should ask permission that I am missing feel free to DM me.

IF THERE IS ENOUGH INTEREST TO DO A GB...

-Desk pad to go with the set in Pantone 137C w/ ADA in the corner.
-Artisan Collaborations.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Huge thanks to kingk22 for all the help on the renders and for Lightning for allowing me to copy his kitting and Anthony Dizon (@redizon on Instagram) for showing how close Matrix FFFF switches are to Rama’s Yolk.

RENDERS

Silver F2-84 by Geon Works

Green En Dash by Finder Works

137C colored Koyu by Rama Works (Do not know Yolk’s real color)

GMK L9 colored m60 by Rama Works (Do not know Soya’s real color)

Grey Tengu by Finder Works

White Cucumber by King Pika Works Studio

JUST FOR FUN SOME QUOTES

“Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.”- Lord Byron

“Sorrow is knowledge, those that know the most must mourn the deepest, the tree of knowledge is not the tree of life. ” - Lord Byron

“You gave me the key to your heart, my love, then why did you make me knock?”-Lord Byron

“I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.”- Lord Byron

“Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter, sermons and soda water the day after.”- Lord Byron

“Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication.”- Lord Byron

“If you can’t give me poetry, can’t you give me poetical science?”- Ada Lovelace

“Your best and wisest refuge from all troubles is in your science.” - Ada Lovelace

“Mathematical science shows what is. It is the language of unseen relations between things. But to use and apply that language, we must be able to fully appreciate, to feel, to seize the unseen, the unconscious.” - Ada Lovelace

“The Analytical Engine might act upon other things besides number, were objects found whose mutual fundamental relations could be expressed by those of the abstract science of operations, and which should be also susceptible of adaptations to the action of the operating notation and mechanism of the engine… Supposing, for instance, that the fundamental relations of pitched sounds in the science of harmony and of musical composition were susceptible of such expression and adaptations, the engine might compose elaborate and scientific pieces of music of any degree of complexity or extent.”- Ada Lovelace

"Forget this world and all its troubles and if possible its multitudinous Charlatans"- everything in short but the Enchantress of Numbers. - Ada Lovelace

"Understand well as I may, my comprehension can only be an infinitesimal fraction of all I want to understand" - Ada Lovelace

Sources:

https://wearetechwomen.com/inspirational-quotes-ada-lovelace-the-first-computer-programmer/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CThe%20more%20I%20study%2C%20the,own%20abstract%20truth%20and%20value.%E2%80%9D

https://www.azquotes.com/author/29338-Ada_Lovelace

https://www.azquotes.com/author/2299-Lord_Byron
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 December 2020, 08:15:18 by Dafraz117 »

Offline of_sam

Re: [IC] GMK ADA
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 15:39:35 »
It’s yellow.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline Pach

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 15:41:37 »

Offline vheissu

• Pragmatic Geometrist
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 15:47:27 »
Pretty straightforward, I like it.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 15:48:52 »
If you are running kitting from Dolch R5 is the bottom row going to be R5?

Offline ycanales

• keybordist
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:06:38 »
Nice.

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:17:50 »
If you are running kitting from Dolch R5 is the bottom row going to be R5?
Sorry I should have included that in the kit renders. I added it to the description of kitting. Sculpt: 1-1-2-3-4-5. So R5 bottom row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:23:28 »
You don't need the extra R2 1.25u Tab and R1 2u Backspace keys in the Extension kit since, unlike Dolch R5, this set doesn't have an extra alphas kit. The extra R1 1u `~ and R2 1.5u \| are also unnecessary since this set only uses two colors. All of these keys can be removed from the kit.

Based on popularity, ISO-UK keys should be in Extension; and R3 Pg Up, R4 Pg Dn, R4 1.5u Super ×2 and second R4 1u Alt (not Alt Gr) should be in Base, rather than the other way around.

The second 1c space in Extension should be replaced with a 1.25c space. Only ortho boards use two 1u spaces, and since this set doesn't have ortho support, there's no need for a second one of these keys. On the other hand, 1.25c is useful for all standard split 6.25u space configurations, as well as for Alice-like boards. Optionally, you can also add two 3c spaces for standard split 7u space configurations and various boards that use a 3u space.

The R4 1u Ctrl key in Extension can be removed as there aren't any modern non-ortho boards that use two 1u Ctrls. Alternatively, you can change this key to a generic legend (such as Code), which will allow it to be used as a filler key in some miscellaneous layouts. But it's probably better if you just remove it to make room for something else that's more useful.

Finally, consider adding R2 1.75u Backspace, R3 1.25u Tab and R3 1.5u Enter to the Extension kit. This will allow it to support most staggered 40% boards that are popular in the community.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:54:57 by konstantin »

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:28:36 »
This is a nice yellow color.

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:30:05 »
r5 gang gang
probably not gonna pick it up but looks nice and clean and r5 is always welcome

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:46:16 »
You don't need the extra R2 1.25u Tab and R1 2u Backspace keys in the Extension kit since, unlike Dolch R5, this set doesn't have an extra alphas kit. The extra R1 1u `~ and R2 1.5u \| are also unnecessary since this set only uses two colors. All of these keys can be removed from the kit.

Based on popularity, ISO-UK keys should be in Extension; and R3 Pg Up, R4 Pg Dn, R4 1.5u Super ×2 and second R4 1u Alt (not Alt Gr) should be in Base, rather than the other way around.

The second 1c space in Extension should be replaced with a 1.25c space. Only ortho boards use two 1u spaces, and since this set doesn't have ortho support, there's no need for a second one of these keys. On the other hand, 1.25c is useful for all standard split 6.25u space configurations, as well as for Alice-like boards. Optionally, you can also add two 3c spaces for standard split 7u space configurations and various boards that use a 3u space.

The R4 1u Ctrl key in Extension can be removed as there aren't any modern non-ortho boards that use two 1u Ctrls. Alternatively, you can change this key to a generic legend (such as Code), which will allow it to be used as a filler key in some miscellaneous layouts. But it's probably better if you just remove it to make room for something else.

Finally, consider adding R2 1.75u Backspace, R3 1.25u Tab and R3 1.5u Enter to the Extension kit. This will allow it to support most staggered 40% boards that are popular in the community.
Oh yes you are right, there are duplicates. I’ll have those fixed. As for the rest, I’ll look into. Thank you for the help.

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:51:32 »
i love yellow. Maybe you can ask oblo to use ascii subs? They would be pretty fitting in my opinion

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:54:18 »
Oh yes you are right, there are duplicates. I’ll have those fixed. As for the rest, I’ll look into. Thank you for the help.

Sure thing. Feel free to follow up if you have any questions, I'd be happy to elaborate further on any of the suggestions, if needed.

Offline juice_pouch

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:58:27 »
My first thought was "GMK Americans with Disabilities Act" but this is good too

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 17:21:59 »
By the way, this color would probably be a pretty good match for e-yellow Polaris.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 17:25:04 »
Yo, I just decided on GMK Gregory with the black on yellow kit.  Do I need this too?  Yep.

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 17:29:19 »
By the way, this color would probably be a pretty good match for e-yellow Polaris.

Show Image

Yes! It looks like it would be pretty close! :)

Offline Suavity

• Smile more! 🙂
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 18:10:05 »
Stepped Caps pog

Offline honoka

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 19:40:11 »
for a clean one color set, I would love to se icon only mods for the simplicity.
even though I don't like it myself, but even text only would work.

and the standard, please add norde kit

Offline Havattack

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 20:20:38 »
Yuck. Should of just called it "caution tape" this thing is hideous.

Offline norb

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 20:30:23 »
it's scary, but fascinating.

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 23:03:50 »
It’s an interesting idea. But I do think it’s too much on a e-yellow board like Rama yolk u80 or m65. Looks better on a grey or white board in my view.

To make the set cleaner, can I suggest icon mods like GMK cafe or bingsu? Thanks :)

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 00:08:32 »
i love yellow. Maybe you can ask oblo to use ascii subs? They would be pretty fitting in my opinion

Or cadet? I’d buy either as child kits.

Offline vheissu

• Pragmatic Geometrist
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 00:35:11 »

+1 for Cadet subs

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 08:35:58 »

+1 for Cadet subs
I will look into this.

Other insights I am gathering:

People might prefer icon mods. I chose text + icon because I thought it gave it a little more of a retro/classic look. But I will think about this.

Kitting needs some work as I have duplicate keys etc.

If anyone has any other suggestions or cool ideas please share. Either on the form provided at the top or just post in the feed. Both work for me. Happy to think about any ideas/opinions.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 09:55:11 »
it's simple, it's yellow, it's nice.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 10:03:18 »
Yellow is the pee pee color and the egg yolk color. And the cute duckling color
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline santela

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 10:07:52 »
Yellow isn't really for me, but I can see this being a very good color to match a lot of the E-yellow keyboards out there.

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 10:11:27 »
YELLOW!!!!!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 11:06:27 »
Yellow is the pee pee color and the egg yolk color. And the cute duckling color

It is also the color that most often increases anxiety in people... and it's ugly/

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 11:48:28 »
I really love this color. I could swim in it. I don't know how I feel about it for keycaps. I'm gonna need to go drink some champagne about it.

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 13:09:52 »
I think it is all about preference. I really like home offices with lots of pops of vibrant colors (I don’t mean RGB lights everywhere).

Like one example is Dieter Rams office, it is shown briefly a few times in the below video. The office/house is mostly white with pops of bright colors including yellow:

Here are some other examples I found while out at lunch where I think the set would work well: https://imgur.com/gallery/qkCB7lk

Also check out: https://instagram.com/usmmodularfurniture?igshid=vj43zxvanws4

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 13:11:41 »
I really actually love this. Might work on a white board, but I agree, you can't go too matchy matchy. This set would work really well in a very muted or monochrome office setting. Very bold! Well done.

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 13:25:35 »
Also check out Vitsoe: https://instagram.com/vitsoe?igshid=1gjqz4p1yvs8m

I’ll maybe add a section to the original post with these types of links for inspiration if it helps.

Offline QuaintSafe

• cablecraze.net
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 17:03:38 »
I really like the set. Color scheme is simple but is still unique. 

Offline clackeys

• Clackeys
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 17:23:13 »
Reminds me of the Yellow taxis in NYC

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 18:24:01 »

I’ll maybe add a section to the original post with these types of links for inspiration if it helps.

Fantastic account. Talk to a pro renderer, these would make amazing scene renders.

Offline Ireris

• p a i n
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 18:48:37 »

Show Image

What set is this from

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 18:56:03 »
What set is this from

The caps? That's MT3 Serika :)
(Coincidentally, it's also what I'm typing on right now.)

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 19:57:59 »

Fantastic account. Talk to a pro renderer, these would make amazing scene renders.
That’s a good idea. I’ll try and look into that.

Offline donny_pete

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 19:58:48 »
Reminds me of dandelions. I like that  :thumb:

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 22:42:50 »
Now THIS, looks clean
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 18:43:41 »
I approve

Offline keebpleeb

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 16:37:03 »
Straight fire. With my luck this'll run right after Zamb has taken all my money, but here's hoping not! Already in for Serika R2 but would love me some more yellow!

Offline azzipa

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 15:02:57 »
I'm a fan. Also a fan of some Veuve yellow label. And Byron. Possibly, now, Ada.

Perhaps an R1 "=" key? I'm no longer a fan of keebs with num pads, but as a former user I definitely appreciated having that key accessible. (Seems to be missing from many GMK sets, but since you include 1u "+" and "-" then it would seem to be appropriate and useful.)

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 15:36:10 »
I'm a massive fan of Ada Lovelace. I also had the pleasure of using the language during an internship early in my career. Not much of a fan of the colorway, but I'm sure plenty are. Good luck with IC.

Offline stoked71

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 18:11:36 »
I'm not sure why, but I love this color. The fact that you could swap alphas or modifiers with other GMK sets too has me sold  :thumb:

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 23:06:01 »
Ha, I've gifted some friends this bubbly before for their birthdays. It's a good one.

My only feedback is that the white and yellow aren't the only colors incorporated in the branding of Veuve Clicquot. There is also a shade of light red that dots the labels. I think that completes the color scheme. I highly recommend you figure out a way to incorporate that into your primary colors, whether it's in your legends or as novelties/artisans.

GLWIC!

Offline azzipa

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 10:46:33 »
I really like the story about Ada. And I opened some Veuve last week to say hello to 2021. But now I can't stop the voice in my head that keeps calling this set GMK School Bus  ;D

« Last Edit: Mon, 04 January 2021, 10:51:01 by azzipa »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 11:02:33 »
Ha, I've gifted some friends this bubbly before for their birthdays. It's a good one.

My only feedback is that the white and yellow aren't the only colors incorporated in the branding of Veuve Clicquot. There is also a shade of light red that dots the labels. I think that completes the color scheme. I highly recommend you figure out a way to incorporate that into your primary colors, whether it's in your legends or as novelties/artisans.

GLWIC!

That's a really good idea.  Even if you were to simply include an Escape and Enter key with red legends.   It could work wonderfully!