Author Topic: So, I greased up my Model M  (Read 10850 times)

Offline gregh

So, I greased up my Model M
« on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 17:37:25 »
I love it, so far. It has more of a "thock thock" sound, like a Topre, because the pang and click are reduced dramatically. It's very pleasant.

The tactility is still there, but it's not as "sharp", it's much more smooth than it was before the grease was applied.

I forgot to order a nozzle with my tube of silicon grease, so I just cut the tip off a Q tip and used the edge to spread the grease around the tubing of the keycap. I used a solid amount but I didn't load it down.

I'm enjoying the feel so far, it's extremely pleasant.

Also, my wife is much happier as well, since we share an office. :)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 18:05:40 »
After working for years with my "weird" (I modded the space bar and besides 'F' and 'J' I'm using flat keys, not curved ones) Model M's, I decided to make them even a bit weirder by trying the "dental floss MOD" I found on this forum (that is: putting something inside each spring).  I just love the new feeling (been using my current Model M with that "dental floss" mod since a month).

I'm not against also trying your grease thinggamagic (I've got four Model Ms so I don't mind experimenting a bit).

Care to post a few pictures of the mod you did? I'm not a native english speaker and it's kinda hard to "picture" what exactly you're talking about : )

Is it a reversible mod ?

Can you still pull off the keycaps ?
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 22:54:15 »
You know the part of the keycap that goes around/on top of the spring? Well, that's where he put the oil, and he used a cotton swab to put it there. I would think oil gets everywhere, so technically reversible, but I don't think it'll ever happen. It's like trying to unsubmerge your mineral oil based PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtufuXLvOok
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 01:19:13 »
It's pretty unreversible, unless you fully dissasemble, clean, and reassemble. And even then, it takes quite a significant effort to remove all of the oil properly.

And when I say full, I mean full, as in bolt mod required disassembly.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 03:24:04 »
Quote from: ripster;329843
Dental Floss mod is easily reversible.

Discovered by a Dentist.

Lol.

I know I know, I lol'ed once when I saw that mod here.  I then lol'ed a 2nd time when I applied it to my main Model M and noticed it worked: I just love the feeling of my Model M after that mod : )

My M feels less 'clunky' for a lack of a better word: when the key comes back I don't hear the "schdoingggggggggs" sound anymore.

I love the dental floss mod and it's easily reversible, that's why I asked about the grease one... Which I probably won't try as I didn't dare yet (nor found the time despite finding the time to procrastinate here ; ) to bolt mod one of my M's and don't feel like having to clean everything :)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline gregh

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 06:45:26 »
That dental floss mod looks great. However, I just like saying "greased up my keybord" more than "flossed my keyboard". :P ... also, I greased it up before I saw the dental floss mod. Dang it! Lol.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 08:49:51 »
To each his or her own, but I will never ever grease up a buckling spring keyboard again. In my opinion, the grease just killed the soul of the keyboard. It never felt the same after, even when I tried to remove the grease after having remove all the springs. I have since bought a Model M and I just love the ping. The best is that I have used it a lot at work and no one has complained yet...no complain...no change LOL.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 09:08:07 »
Quote from: TacticalCoder;329873
I love the dental floss mod and it's easily reversible

I've looked at the DF mod link Ripster posted and have a question.
There is a mention about cutting the floss a bit longer than the springs or flush with them.

Is it better to have it a bit longer (as in the picture) or flush with them?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Surly73

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 10:52:24 »
I did the DF mod a few months ago.  I think if it's too long them it doesn't click at all because things bind up.  I didn't find the difference revolutionary, but it is a little quieter.  I'm planning to bolt mod just for "fun" and see if there's a little bit of plate vibration contributing to the pinginess of my model M.  There are not many failed rivets, but I noticed that an older terminal only M was noticeably quieter and less pingy than my newer PS2 1397599 model M (which is 1993 so should be Lexmark, but it looks like the 1397599s were made by IBM still in 1993).

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 12:26:27 »
They were labeled IBM still.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Surly73

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 14 April 2011, 09:39:12 »
Quote from: ripster;330081
It depended on lots of things.

I had a mini marked Lexmark and pulled the label off to reveal the IBM label.

When I had it open "IBM" was everywhere and "Lexmark" was nowhere.  IBM on all of the ICs, boards, etc... and no "made for IBM by Lexmark" anywhere on the case.  I've googled some other posts from elsewhere that seem to indicate that the 1397599 was indeed made by IBM throughout 1993.  I've also seen other posts indicating that other people feel their 1397599 pings more than their other model Ms.  

The only thing that is SUPPOSED to be different about it is green ALT legends - but who really knows.

Offline gregh

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 14:28:55 »
I just wanted to update this post.

After using the keyboard more extensively since the greasing modificatin, I think the keys feel a bit more stiff than they did before the greasing. I"m not usre why this is. Maybe I put too much grease, or the grease I used wasn't the perfect type to use. But I find my wrists becoming more fatigued and sometimes I miss a character when typing due to not fully actuating the switch.

So, I would have to recommend to not grease up your model M, unless you're more careful and precise than myself.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 14:32:12 »
Quote from: gregh;341698
I just wanted to update this post.

After using the keyboard more extensively since the greasing modificatin, I think the keys feel a bit more stiff than they did before the greasing. I"m not usre why this is. Maybe I put too much grease, or the grease I used wasn't the perfect type to use. But I find my wrists becoming more fatigued and sometimes I miss a character when typing due to not fully actuating the switch.

So, I would have to recommend to not grease up your model M, unless you're more careful and precise than myself.

Been there. Done that.