Author Topic: Cherry Replica Legends Fundraising  (Read 43940 times)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Cherry Replica Legends Fundraising
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:11:13 »
Man... Cherry font with backlight capability? I may actually have to buy another SP set...

...and in all the colors of the rainbow!

Mmm... Now, let's have some discussions. Would it be possible to have all the colors of the rainbow in one set? Like those POM jellies, but with different polycarb colored shots.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:22:25 »
So are these thicker ABS caps or are they still thin SP ABS? 

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:33:33 »
They are regular SP ABS caps.  Same profile and thickness as all the other sets we've done.  We went around and around about this last year; there's no practical way to get thicker keys from SP.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:35:37 »
I assume by practical, you mean not spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on new molds?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:36:38 »
Yes.  That and the expertise to produce and QA them.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:41:00 »
Well, at least the Cherry font looks very nice.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: SP deserves some respect for how they work with us. They give us free reign to create many things with any colorways, and reasonable MOQs that other companies choose to stay away from.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:51:55 »
Oh yeah.  I'm definitely not complaining.  Do I wish it was thick ABS?  Yes, but SP is great to work with, especially when it comes to color selections, sampling, MOQs, and their general flexibility.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 18:39:21 »
thick keymolds don't play very well with 2-shotting the nearly arbitrary legends we get out of SP's process. they also make it much more difficult to work with multiple plastic types. the keys above are hybrids of PC and ABS. thicker molds would have made it much more difficult, if not impossible to obtain these keys, particularly at larger key sizes (which are naturally essential to making full sets..).

and to make this tooling for a relatively small enthusiast community without multi-hundred set MOQs is unheard of in the plastics industry. SP's willingness to experiment, tool, deliver to and support our community has made them an absolutely invaluable partner to us. I can't and don't want to imagine how much poorer we'd be as enthusiasts without them. WE'D BE TYPING ON PAD PRINTED CAPS PEOPLE. PAD PRINT. THINK ABOUT IT.

seriously, i love the folks at SP for doing their thing for us, i literally am going to go up and hug everyone who works there next time i'm up in seattle and can free up the time to drive to custer. every morning i wake up with crazy ideas based on my extremely limited understanding of polymer chemistry and a few months later, TRANSLUCENT KEYCAPS FOR EVERYONE! so many things that we've accomplished on this site, and done to grow the mechanical keyboard wave that literally sold cherry's entire production line out for 6 months is rooted in the cool stuff that SP lets us do. i am absolutely 100% serious. everyone's getting a hug.

this set is going to be epic. nathan, if you're up there, this one is for you.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 20:36:06 »
wow..

what color code is used for the white?

p.s: the asterisk above the 8 needs some work

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 22:38:19 »
wow..

what color code is used for the white?

p.s: the asterisk above the 8 needs some work

The white is WFK.  And we'll be doing a round of fixes once I have the keys in hand and can compare them in detail with Cherry keys.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 01:23:28 »
I just went from six to midnight.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 01:44:51 »
I can't wait to see this kit!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 05:37:56 »
I just went from six to midnight.

Knowing you live in Australia, I'm sorry to hear of your disapproval of this work...

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 12:51:18 »
These look great, but I have a question. Are there no legal implications of replicating Cherry's font and selling these?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 14:25:39 »
IANAL, but my understanding is that you cannot protect a font's design with trademark and/or copyright law.  If we had used an actual TTF file stolen from Cherry I think the situation would be different.  But we did the work of producing a new character set that is modelled after an existing one, using publicly available images of keys as reference.  I think we're ok.

Maybe we could get in trouble for using Cherry's name without permission?  If we are notified of such we'll be happy to call it something else.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 14:37:13 »
Moose legends.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 23:24:26 »
Moose legends.

Each keycap with its own little antlers.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 19:45:26 »
and to make this tooling for a relatively small enthusiast community without multi-hundred set MOQs is unheard of in the plastics industry. SP's willingness to experiment, tool, deliver to and support our community has made them an absolutely invaluable partner to us. I can't and don't want to imagine how much poorer we'd be as enthusiasts without them. WE'D BE TYPING ON PAD PRINTED CAPS PEOPLE. PAD PRINT. THINK ABOUT IT.

This is why I'm waiting to do Toxic set with SP. Even though we pretty much have the numbers to do toxic with GMK and people send me tells all the time to switch to GMK. You have to support the companies that are willing to work with you, and Signature Plastics is that company.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 22:27:20 »

This is why I'm waiting to do Toxic set with SP. Even though we pretty much have the numbers to do toxic with GMK and people send me tells all the time to switch to GMK. You have to support the companies that are willing to work with you, and Signature Plastics is that company.

Right on Dan! Stick to your guns... SP FTW!

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 20:25:20 »
I really like how they came out. I am curious to see what they look like on a backlit keyboard.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 20:44:31 »
speaking of issues with 2-shotting, the first prototype is already showing some issues with both legends and the ABS + PC process in general. they might be solvable via manipulating the legends, but we're going to have to run some more prototypes and cut a few more legends to see.

basically, we're getting remelting on larger keys with small legend details. the reason why is that, to get the PC to flow into the ABS first shot with the small diameter openings of our font, pressure on the molder has to be cranked up. pressure is proportional to temperature, as usual, so we get remelting of the grid and even some of the legends. not good.

SP's production schedule opens back up for legends late next week at the earliest, so we're going to powow when Hash gets back from well, here to home and has a chance to look at some splines close up.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 20:53:19 »
Splinessss

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 11:50:47 »
Melissa has sent out the prototype set, sans keys that had the issues mkawa detailed.  It's scheduled for delivery tomorrow!

I'll be taking loads of comparison pictures and making adjustments as necessary.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 11:57:47 »
Awesome!! So glad this is proceeding.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 15:55:59 »
Those keys look incredible. Much respect for the work done so far, and also for the work ahead.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 15:57:20 »
what material/color are those legends?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 16:01:30 »

I believe it's the polycarbonate orange like the GeekHack April Part 2 backspace.

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 13:36:02 »

I believe it's the polycarbonate orange like the GeekHack April Part 2 backspace.

Ya they the same as the April GH keys, but there's this:

Man... Cherry font with backlight capability? I may actually have to buy another SP set...

...and in all the colors of the rainbow!
So maybe there will be more colors other than just orange/white. Or maybe I am wrong. Regardless, the keys look awesome

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 13:41:39 »
So maybe there will be more colors other than just orange/white. Or maybe I am wrong. Regardless, the keys look awesome

This is just a prototype set to proof the legends.  There will be a group buy after the legends are all done for an orange polycarb-on-white set.  After that the legends will be available for any group buy organizer to use for whatever color combos they choose.  I'd expect danielucf's green-on-black Toxic set to be next up.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:13:56 »
Aaand they've arrived!

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:14:44 »
!!!!  :o

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:15:24 »
Well when you take a picture of them with all that other stuff as a backdrop, it's kind of hard to get so excited, hashbaz...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:37:44 »
Aaand they've arrived!

Show Image

nice!!

you should have also received a keyboard today  ::)

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 15:50:42 »

This is just a prototype set to proof the legends.  There will be a group buy after the legends are all done for an orange polycarb-on-white set.  After that the legends will be available for any group buy organizer to use for whatever color combos they choose.  I'd expect danielucf's green-on-black Toxic set to be next up.

Thank for clearing that up.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 15:53:06 »
Is it just me, or is anyone else not a fan of the Orange poly with the white legends? I think something nicer would be a dark color for the mods with orange poly legends and white for the rest with the orange poly.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 15:54:54 »
round one is probably the orange, but that remind me, i have to get a pic of the polycarbonate color ring. no one else has one yet :X

POTATOCAM INCOMING

« Last Edit: Fri, 02 August 2013, 17:21:34 by mkawa »

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 15:55:36 »
Is it just me, or is anyone else not a fan of the Orange poly with the white legends? I think something nicer would be a dark color for the mods with orange poly legends and white for the rest with the orange poly.

Kinda agree. I think the poly mods look a bit out of place. Can't really tell for sure till I see it on a board though.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 15:56:02 »
round one is probably the orange, but that remind me, i have to get a pic of the polycarbonate color ring. no one else has one yet :X

^^ yes please!!!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 16:12:53 »

TBH I agree.  Transparent plastic is not really my thing.  The original plan was to do a Dolch set first, but Originative makes that kind of redundant.  I would really love to see a cream cheese 'n' blue Cherry replica set.

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 17:35:14 »
Yes, a raindrop set with polycarb would be awesome looking, Instead of orange just change everything to blue.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 22:23:27 »
Yes, a raindrop set with polycarb would be awesome looking, Instead of orange just change everything to blue.

This x100000
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 00:17:56 »
Overall I'm really pleased.  The missing keys are those that had the melting issues, which we are working to correct.  I'll be scrutinizing the keys individually, but so far the only egregious differences I've seen are the ones we already knew about: the asterisk above the 8 key, and the pound symbol above the 3 key.  I have the full-res images if anyone would like to see them.

Full album

« Last Edit: Sat, 03 August 2013, 00:19:49 by hashbaz »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #142 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 00:24:15 »
These are looking really interesting.  I think the * needs a little work as well, a bit smaller than the cherry one above it.  Other than that, I actually like the polycarb look with the opaque first shot. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #143 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 00:30:04 »
I really like the alphas but those modifiers...:-\

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 00:50:05 »
yes, i am _not_ happy with the remelting on the modifiers. nor am i happy with the lack of consistency on the grid formats. all of these things will be addressed BEFORE we go into production. this is nate's set and these kinds of discrepancies will not be allowed.

Offline mtl

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 01:27:44 »
I like these better than the Cherry legends. Nice work! :-D
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 02:06:30 »
Wow those legends look great, but I agree the inconsistent remelting really throws me off.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 02:30:08 »
I too like the orange, although something a bit more yellow would be perfect ;)

The inconsistent 1st shot in the WoO mods is a bit distracting - looking forward to a successful resolution of the issues.

Well done to everyone who has been working on this!!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 02:50:21 »
Wow those legends look great, but I agree the inconsistent remelting really throws me off.

I agree with you. Looks kind of half-assed. Hopefully that can get worked out

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 04:18:26 »
Well done to everyone who has been working on this!!

Agreed, I'm sure this set will turn out to be awesome!