Author Topic: RE: Keyboard as a present  (Read 2737 times)

Offline skayleef

RE: Keyboard as a present
« on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 19:09:28 »
Hello, I have been scowering the internet for information about mechanical keyboards to buy for my son as a present, and stumbled upon here.

I have read around a bit, and want to know if anyone has a suggestion for a mechanical keyboard in the range of 100-120 US for my son. He mostly plays games on his computer with limited schoolwork in between. He spends about 20 hours or so on the computer a week. I think that cherry mx brown switches would be best, but I don't really know for sure. After doing research browns just look good for what he does on the computer which is playing video games.

I want to get it for him for christmas, but if there is something better coming out after Christmas, his Birthday is a few months after so I can get it for him then.

I am mainly looking for the best quality I can buy for my price range. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: RE: Keyboard as a present
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 19:29:50 »
Welcome to Geekhack and at that price, a lot of people are gonna recommend CM Storm Quickfire Rapid.  A good board at a decent price.  :)

Personally I'd recommend you pay a little more and get him a Filco ($149 on Amazon) or a Leopold ($99).
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 December 2012, 19:32:21 by reaper »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Harlequin

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 19:37:03 »
Hello, skayleef. It's good to hear that you are buying your son a mech kbd.

Yes, i totally agree with you about Cherry MX Brown. I think it's the best kbd for a starter. There are two kinds of kbd.

one, with the numberpad on the right side and the one without it.
Personal preferences but i think you should go for the one with numberpad.

Around 100-120 bux, i guess CM Storm Quickfire.
http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFire-Pro-Mechanical-SGK-4010-GKCM1-US/dp/B007VDOOBU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355016493&sr=8-2&keywords=cm+storm+quickfire

It's quite fancy. Instead of CM Storm, there are also Ducky and Das Keyboard.

Just search on Amazon there would be heaps.

Lastly, the BEST mech kbd imo is Filco Majestouch but it goes up to 160 and more. but gives us the best build quality.

DK Saver Winkeyless | Leopold FC700R | Ducky DK9087 Shine 2

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 20:05:03 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I have only one word for you: Filco
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline xDezor

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 20:15:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack and at that price, a lot of people are gonna recommend CM Storm Quickfire Rapid.  A good board at a decent price.  :)
Can't go wrong there. I just got a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (with brown switches) and I love it. Oddly enough it was also a gift.

The only con I see is if you have another person living in the same room as you. I can't type while my roommate is sleeping because I am afraid of waking him up (but that really comes with the territory of owning a mechanical keyboard). Aside from that this keyboard is great!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 22:50:29 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You have a lucky son :)

Best quality in that price range is probably CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid.  If you want to go slightly over, Filco would be even better (slightly better - the QFR is a very well made keyboard).

If you want backlighting, these can tend to be slightly more expensive than one without backlighting, simply due to the extra electronics.  If you do, look into a Ducky Shine.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline firebt

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 23:33:06 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You have a lucky son :)

Best quality in that price range is probably CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid.  If you want to go slightly over, Filco would be even better (slightly better - the QFR is a very well made keyboard).

If you want backlighting, these can tend to be slightly more expensive than one without backlighting, simply due to the extra electronics.  If you do, look into a Ducky Shine.

Yes, specifically the Ducky Shine II.  Don't get the Shining (its the Ducky Shine I).  It doesn't have NKRO over USB, nor does it have reactive lighting mode, marquee lighting mode, 2 customizable profiles and doesn't save your last used setting when you turn off the computer (no internal memory).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 23:35:05 »
Too much flashing lights would be distracting.  Great for demos or trade shows, but not much use if you are trying to type in a darkened room.

The one thing the Shine II has over the Shine (version 1) is that it remembers the backlighting settings over a reboot.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Polymer

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 00:09:37 »
For that price range you can get a CM Quickfire Trigger...

It might not have the following or quite that same feel as the Rapid...but it is a bit more solid than the Pro, fully backlit, macros, etc...If your son is a gamer and relatively young I'm sure he'll like having something with macros, lights, etc...

And if it gets too loud you can always order him some o-rings...

Offline tr4656

Re: Re: RE: Keyboard as a present
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 00:42:35 »

It might not have the following or quite that same feel as the Rapid...but it is a bit more solid than the Pro, fully backlit, macros, etc...If your son is a gamer and relatively young I'm sure he'll like having something with macros, lights, etc...

Doesn't the trigger not have the costar stabilizer while the pro does.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 00:54:38 »
Try to find out if your son use the number pad or not.  Because if he uses number pad for school work and you give him a tenkeyless keyboard (no number pad) then it would be annoying.

Also MX Brown is typically the safest switch to start with.  After that I would try MX Red if he games a lot.  But for this situation I'd say stick with MX Brown.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline firebt

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 01:17:56 »
Too much flashing lights would be distracting.  Great for demos or trade shows, but not much use if you are trying to type in a darkened room.

The one thing the Shine II has over the Shine (version 1) is that it remembers the backlighting settings over a reboot.

Yeah but you don't want reactive mode? Or I don't know, to have more and the newest stuff for $3 more? It's not like the Shining packs more features than the Ducky Shine II.  The 2nd one is superior to the first one in every way.  Dont ever get the Shining.  Your son will wonder why you cheaped out on not getting the Shine II.  And he's a kid dude.   Everyone loves marquee and reactive mode.  Seriously.

Offline Polymer

Re: Re: RE: Keyboard as a present
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 02:01:49 »

Doesn't the trigger not have the costar stabilizer while the pro does.

I think so....but the Pro feels relatively hollow..overall the Trigger feels a lot more solid...Plus whether or not this is relevant, the Pro is an iOne board...
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 December 2012, 02:13:27 by Polymer »

Offline Human

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 03:25:56 »
One doesn't simply compare an iOne board to a Costar board.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 09:12:09 »
The Pro uses costar-style stabilizers made by iOne which are as thin as a paperclip and probably as fragile.

The Trigger uses Cherry-style Stabilizers, the only one that does uses Costar stabilizers is the Quickfire Rapid (which is the cheapest and best keyboard from Cooler Master).

Anyways, your son probably wants a gaming keyboard, backlit would seem nice to him but you still need to worry about quality. I won't lie, he'd probably be happier if he got one of those "fancy" keyboards like Saitek Cyborg or a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate at the start, but you should try to give him something that would be better for him as a keyboard, not something that's better only as a table ornament.

The CM Trigger does indeed seems to be the best choice, as the Logitech G710+ currently seems to have some quality issues regarding the backlight...

And seriously, the Cherry MX Brown version is at about US$ 100 at Amazon.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 December 2012, 09:16:47 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline uJalled

• Shrimp cracker enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 09:41:28 »

Anyways, your son probably wants a gaming keyboard, backlit would seem nice to him but you still need to worry about quality. I won't lie, he'd probably be happier if he got one of those "fancy" keyboards like Saitek Cyborg or a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate at the start, but you should try to give him something that would be better for him as a keyboard, not something that's better only as a table ornament.

^^^

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 11:06:20 »
The Pro uses costar-style stabilizers made by iOne which are as thin as a paperclip and probably as fragile.

The Trigger uses Cherry-style Stabilizers, the only one that does uses Costar stabilizers is the Quickfire Rapid (which is the cheapest and best keyboard from Cooler Master).

The CM Trigger does indeed seems to be the best choice, as the Logitech G710+ currently seems to have some quality issues regarding the backlight...

And seriously, the Cherry MX Brown version is at about US$ 100 at Amazon.

Yep.  Qualifies for Prime as well.

http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Trigger-Mechanical-SGK-6000-GKCM1-US/dp/B007TFOO6K

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Welcome to geekhack.org.  Have you considered a nice keyboard for yourself for the holidays as well?  The Pro version also has MX Brown switches, but doesn't have all the flashy gamer stuff.  $75 at Amazon. 
http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFire-Pro-Mechanical-SGK-4010-GKCM1-US/dp/B007VDOOBU

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline skayleef

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 14:12:25 »
Thank you so much for the replies! They really helped. I think I am going to get him the trigger.

Thank you very much!