Author Topic: Artisan Keycaps Catalog Site  (Read 1827 times)

Offline omegafivethreefive

Artisan Keycaps Catalog Site
« on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 10:24:01 »
Hey geekhack,

I've started working on a cataloging website following the great feedback I got on /r/mk : https://artisankeycaps.org

If anyone is interested in contributing in any way, either reply here, send me a PM or contact me at admin@artisankeycaps.org

This purely non-profit and will be ad free.

For more information, read my posts on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/66ppf3/catalog_for_artisans/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/676qvi/artisan_keycaps_catalog_update_1/

Thank in advance!

Offline clickityClackity

Re: Artisan Keycaps Catalog Site
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 10:34:21 »
Thank YOU in advance!

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-670N using Tapatalk

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 14:16:09 »
Hey, this is the first I've seen of this, and I have been pretty much wishing this exact resource existed since I got into Artisans a few weeks ago. Thanks for putting it together! I'd help if I could, but I'm not really sure how. Don't have any rare artisans yet :P

I'm not sure if you already have this planned or how doable it would be with the architecture you're using, but it would also be really cool if the colorways were also tagged with the individual colors they had in them, and you could search for artisans by color or search for a specific color combo.

Also want to say that people don't understand that a lot of real life labor goes into making a good website, plus server resources. Even if it was $5 a month like some people are trying to say (which as a dev, I know it isn't for reliable hosting with good caching, and it's definitely NOT a "static" project) you have a right to be compensated for your efforts. No one is being forced into anything, so don't let them bully you into thinking you're a bad guy just for covering costs.

Anyway thanks for your work. Will definitely keep this bookmarked and keep an eye on it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 April 2017, 14:17:45 by TelFiRE »
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 18:00:43 »
A lot of the larger artisans already have catalogues online that were made by members, while your idea is cool I think you're underestimating the amount of information required to do it.

Not trying to shoot down your idea, just saying that putting all the info you want in one place will be a full time job. I think the best way to do this would be to find a few other members who you could give access to edit the site so there's a team working on it instead of just you.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 18:37:10 »
Hey, this is the first I've seen of this, and I have been pretty much wishing this exact resource existed since I got into Artisans a few weeks ago. Thanks for putting it together! I'd help if I could, but I'm not really sure how. Don't have any rare artisans yet :P

I'm not sure if you already have this planned or how doable it would be with the architecture you're using, but it would also be really cool if the colorways were also tagged with the individual colors they had in them, and you could search for artisans by color or search for a specific color combo.

Also want to say that people don't understand that a lot of real life labor goes into making a good website, plus server resources. Even if it was $5 a month like some people are trying to say (which as a dev, I know it isn't for reliable hosting with good caching, and it's definitely NOT a "static" project) you have a right to be compensated for your efforts. No one is being forced into anything, so don't let them bully you into thinking you're a bad guy just for covering costs.

Anyway thanks for your work. Will definitely keep this bookmarked and keep an eye on it.

Good idea for the tags. I had thought about it but the one problem I would see is with all the different names for colors. Like grey and yellow is easy but "burgundy" and "skye blue" are pretty niche... I'll have to think about it.

I'll stop talking about anything money related since it just makes people salty, I can cover the costs on my own anyhow.

I'm glad you like the idea, I'll try to keep this thread updated every now and then :)

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 20:03:46 »
A lot of the larger artisans already have catalogues online that were made by members, while your idea is cool I think you're underestimating the amount of information required to do it.

Not trying to shoot down your idea, just saying that putting all the info you want in one place will be a full time job. I think the best way to do this would be to find a few other members who you could give access to edit the site so there's a team working on it instead of just you.

I've got a small team of 4 (including me) to develop but entering the data is indeed a problem. I plan to resolve it in 3 ways:

1. Submission from regular users (no login required). Data submitted by these users will be under-review and will only appear on the site after it's been approved by moderators.
2. Artisans could register and after being approved, they would be able to add/edit their own sales/keycaps/colorways. I'm still playing around with this idea but I think I would limit the power these users have by only allowing no-approval-required editing for a limited time.
3. Manual data entry from a small team of moderators. These same moderators will also be in charge of reviewing submissions.

As far as incentives to contribute, I will look into having raffles/contests to incite users to contribute.

The trickiest part will be making the submission forms easy to use for batch entry (like 120 colorways for a single sale means up to a 1000 pictures to import). The dev team is still discussing ideas on that point.