Author Topic: Newbie key cap question  (Read 1334 times)

Offline CmputrBlu

Newbie key cap question
« on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 02:49:55 »
Recently purchased a Ducky DK9008G2 PRO, Light Grey & White version> Very nice keyboard.  :D

Anyhow picked up a set of red PBT key caps to replace the 4 arrow keys. Noticed that while those key caps just slope down at the sides; the Ducky key caps have an extra straight vertical section on the base.  Hope that makes sense. Do the Ducky key cap style have a name that one can reference when looking for key caps? Are the non Ducky key cap design more common?

TIA

Offline stoic-lemon

Re: Newbie key cap question
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 04:16:41 »
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can answer your question, but I'm not sure I understand. Your Ducky uses Cherry MX switches. Do the caps you bought not fit? A picture might help.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 04:50:23 »
I think the keys you have maybe a different profile? But take some pictures with them next to each other, that will make it easier for use to help.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 05:11:15 »
I think he may be referring to taller OEM profile caps which are a bit taller and straighter sides than the lower sitting SP profile or cherry profile caps? I dunno. As tym said pics would answer all your questions. It's hard to say what profile is most "common" tho. If I had to guess, I would say SP profile is most common.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline CmputrBlu

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 06:26:30 »
Sorry I guess I was unclear. I never meant to imply the red key caps didn't fit; they fit just fine as they are made for Cherry switches.  Anyhow YoungMichael88 provided what is probably the correct answer. I had read about the taller OEM profile caps; I just wasn't sure if that's what they were.

I just wanted to know what to look for in the future if I was looking to replace certain key caps in locations on the keyboard where shorter key caps would be more obvious

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 18:17:48 »
Yea mixing and matching profiles tends to stick out like a sore thumb. It all boils down to preference in the end. You will learn in time what profiles you prefer. Just buy a bit of everything and test it all out. The good thing about this hobby is if you don't like something you bought you can most likely find someone on here who does and trade/sell it. Usually only at a very minimal loss. Enjoy your time here.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker