Author Topic: 2-finger typist! Bought an ergodox, but which layout best to learn to touch type?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline HughJarss

Hi everyone, what a great community.
I've been reading a lot here for a few weeks, but now I'm about to get my happy hands on an ergodox, I need to make a decision.
Which layout should I learn?
I write novels full time, so immediately, my needs are different than most people's. I write a LOT of dialogue, so need to use ' and " a lot, and use a lot of commas, full stops, and capital letters too. Plus I start new paragraphs much more than most people do when they type. Also ellipses, em-dashes and hyphens get a bit of a workout too. Well, now I just sound needy and whiny. But, hey, no wonder I need a great keyboard and layout, right?

I've never learned to touch-type, so I feel like that's an advantage in a way — I won't have any qwerty muscle memory to confuse me.(I'm easily confused!)
I've been typing about a million words a year, but hope to increase that now I'm really full time, and without developing any nasty RSI issues, and to do this the rest of my life.
I have large hands, good finger strength, but my dexterity isn't good — and after reading a lot and fiddling about with my fingers, Workman seems to make sense to me. I definitely seem to have great difficulty getting at the bottom row with my middle and ring fingers in particular. But I'm just guessing, and very open to the ideas of those more knowledgable than me.
I don't need to type at outrageous speeds like some of you do (smoke must pour from your fingers, seriously!) but if I could be consistent at 50 to 60WPM without destroying my body long-term, that would be amazing.

At this stage, I plan to learn on the Ergodox, then change to an Axios or Keyboardio 01 (both? C'mon Wifey, I NEED them) once they're available. I can't believe how much great stuff I've read here, and how fascinating and addictive all this is, even though I don't even yet have delivery of my keyboard! Oh, this is going to get expensive, isn't it? But fun.
I'd be really grateful if someone with a better understanding of this than myself can steer me in the right direction. Please?!?

PS Not sure if I should have posted this elsewhere, stoopid noobs huh? Mods please move if I got it wrong. Thanks, Hugh.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you don't get a response here, try creating a thread in the ergonomics area.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HughJarss

Hey, thanks Rowdy, I'll do that.
Actually, I'd better wait a couple of days, I'm just in the process of moving house, and won't be online much until that's sorted. (I'm in Oz too, just moved about an hour or so north of Sydney.) Thanks again.