Author Topic: Silent keyboard  (Read 7544 times)

Offline Whiskey in the Jar-o

Silent keyboard
« on: Sat, 15 December 2007, 21:40:39 »
The war on tactile feedback... It has begun.

http://www.chd-corp.com/en/product_kb-4800-219.html

Offline fkeidjn

Silent keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 December 2007, 22:56:23 »
At this rate, I hate to say that tactile feedback could lose because of "lobbying" against the "overly noisy" keyboards.  The only survivors at this moment that I know of are Cherry, Strongman, and Unicomp (notice that I listed Cherry and Strongman first).  On the other hand, I could be simply over-cynical.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
Silent keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 December 2007, 11:36:50 »
im afraid im one of those people that's in the anti noisy keyboard club. I like the tactile feel of the blue cherrys but hate hate hate the sound it drives me crazy.  from that one guys majestouch review im thinking browns are for me.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Silent keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 December 2007, 12:44:52 »
Quote from: karlito
im afraid im one of those people that's in the anti noisy keyboard club. I like the tactile feel of the blue cherrys but hate hate hate the sound it drives me crazy.  from that one guys majestouch review im thinking browns are for me.

You know, that's what I thought over a month ago, well before I acquired the Majestouch:

http://geekhack.org/viewtopic.php?p=1166&sid=598a1fa768760640ed3b4629bdc8c7e7#1166

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Silent keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 December 2007, 15:00:00 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet
that's what I thought over a month ago, well before I acquired the Majestouch

So are you implying you don't like them anymore?

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
Silent keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 December 2007, 18:54:46 »
You know, that's what I thought over a month ago, well before I acquired the Majestouch:
http://geekhack.org/viewtopic.php?p=1166&sid=598a1fa768760640ed3b4629bdc8c7e7#1166

haha that's funny.  i would definitely like to try browns someday. it's a shame there isnt a scorpius m10 brown version.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Silent keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 December 2007, 22:15:27 »
Quote from: xsphat
that's what I thought over a month ago, well before I acquired the Majestouch

So are you implying you don't like them anymore?

No, I still like them a lot. Just saying that I thought there was a chance karlito would like the brown Cherries even before I had the chance to try them out for myself. And now that I have a brown Cherry board in my possession, I *still* think karlito might prefer them to the blues: soft touch, non-clicky (although if he thinks the blue Cherries are too stiff, chances are he might think the same of the browns).

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Silent keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 December 2007, 22:21:24 »
Are the browns loud when they bottom like the Alps, or are they quiet like the HHKB Pro 2?

Offline mr_sf_applet

Silent keyboard
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 December 2007, 22:25:18 »
They're a bit louder than the HHKB Pro 2, but definitely quieter than the white Alps sliders on the Avant Stellar.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Silent keyboard
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 00:01:26 »
Do you think I should buy a Filco or should I try something else? By the way, I won't hate on you if you say I should and I do and I hate it. Other runners up are are the Realforce 101, the M10, an older board with Alps switches I have always liked and a second HHKB Pro 2.

Silent keyboard
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 00:19:35 »
Did you drop your space-saver requirement?  Then why not get an M10, since you don't have a clicky Cherry board?

Silent keyboard
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 00:20:54 »
BTW, the sssilent board is $160 + shipping, available from the end of January.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Silent keyboard
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 00:27:02 »
I guess I care more about getting some new switches than form factor as long as it's smaller than the M.

Offline fkeidjn

Silent keyboard
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 02:27:18 »
$160??? Even if I do try it out, it probably won't survive under my fingers, since I tend to use the weight of my hands to type, rather than the strength from my fingers, therefore slamming the keyboard (especially noticeable on rubber domes that I use elsewhere); or it might not be as fragile as I think...

The advantages to this is the solar rechargeable capability, but where's the ergonomic profile???
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline mr_sf_applet

Silent keyboard
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 02:37:20 »
Quote from: xsphat
Do you think I should buy a Filco or should I try something else? By the way, I won't hate on you if you say I should and I do and I hate it. Other runners up are are the Realforce 101, the M10, an older board with Alps switches I have always liked and a second HHKB Pro 2.

I think you should get a Realforce 101 and review it. That way, I won't have to buy one to satisfy my intense curiosity about what it's like. If I were to buy a keyboard that's not a backup up to something I already have, it'd be the Realforce 101, but I'm trying to resist getting anything new over the near term. Especially with the Realforce being so expensive.

I love the Filco. It has disrupted my 4-board rotation because it's become the one board I keep coming back to. I'd hesitate recommending it to you, though, because you seem to like loud and clicky, and it's neither.

I think I agree with Whiskey about getting a Scorpius M10. Blue Cherry MX switches are nice, and the M10 is so cheap, relative to some of the other mechanical switch options, that I think everyboy who doesn't already have a blue Cherry MX board should get one.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Silent keyboard
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 02:49:06 »
I'll look into it. The Realforce isn't going to a clicky keyboard either, but I just want something different and I think the Realforce might be it.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Silent keyboard
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 02:55:01 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o

Are we still talking about this board here?:

http://www.chd-corp.com/product_kb-4800.html

Where did you see pricing and ordering info? I couldn't find anything on the website. And what exactly are "sensor-touch keys"? Is that the same thing as what you would find on a TouchStream?

And nobody's interested in getting the X-Smile board for making instant emoticons?:

http://www.chd-corp.com/product_kb-4330-02-153.html

Silent keyboard
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 03:07:26 »

Are we still talking about this board here?:

http://www.chd-corp.com/product_kb-4800.html

Yes.

Where did you see pricing and ordering info? I couldn't find anything on the website. And what exactly are "sensor-touch keys"? Is that the same thing as what you would find on a TouchStream?

I emailed them.  Dunno about the exact  tech.  I guess when they release it, they'll have more info.  It's a Russian company with an OEM in China, since they quoted the price as "from warehouse in China". Also, they said RF 2.4 GHz, so it may not be bluetooth.  I'll email them to clarify.

EDIT: The first batches will be Plexiglass (like the Logitech diNovo Edge, I guess), subsequent batches may use other types of glass (tempered glass, etc.). It will not be Bluetooth for the time being- too much power required. They are using a proprietary 2.4 GHz RF protocol.

Silent keyboard
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 19:44:52 »
I love the Filco. It has disrupted my 4-board rotation because it's become the one board I keep coming back to. I'd hesitate recommending it to you, though, because you seem to like loud and clicky, and it's neither.

My rotation is pretty much dead because of the Cherry Cymotion.  Everything else is gathering dust... Which reminds me that I should box the Northgate Evolution, or at least put the keycaps back on.  That dust can't be good for the switches.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Silent keyboard
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 21:07:08 »
You know, I can't find any place where I can get the Cymotion Master Solar here in the States. A couple of Aussie sites have it, but they don't ship internationally. I found one Canadian site that has it, but they clearly state that the Cymotion Master Solar is for Canadian customers only. It's almost as if this particular model is illegal in the States.

Offline fkeidjn

Silent keyboard
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 21:11:08 »
You know, I can't find any place where I can get the Cymotion Master Solar here in the States. A couple of Aussie sites have it, but they don't ship internationally. I found one Canadian site that has it, but they clearly state that the Cymotion Master Solar is for Canadian customers only. It's almost as if this particular model is illegal in the States.

Well, there is other competition, obviously inferior in quality to the Cymotion, and don't want to let the general public about these products.  Do I hear Logitech or Microsoft???

Silent keyboard
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 December 2007, 00:40:30 »
Quote from: fkeidjn

Well, there is other competition, obviously inferior in quality to the Cymotion, and don't want to let the general public about these products.  Do I hear Logitech or Microsoft???

No, they suck.  Their high-end boards feel exactly like their cheapies, except they have nicer design and more extra buttons bling.

Silent keyboard
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 18 December 2007, 00:48:30 »

I live in Australia. If you want, I can have it delivered to my place and then forward it to you.  I got mine from here, and the delivery was $15 (AUD).  So the final cost to you would be $69 + $15 + international shipping in $AUD. No refunds, no hatemail, if you don't like it.  (You will most likely hate the mouse).

Offline fkeidjn

Silent keyboard
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 18 December 2007, 00:58:18 »
Oh me oh me, pick me!!!  I want one!!!   :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Silent keyboard
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 18 December 2007, 01:08:18 »
Quote from: fkeidjn
Oh me oh me, pick me!!!  I want one!!!   :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

You want to try a Cymotion as well?

Offline fkeidjn

Silent keyboard
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 18 December 2007, 01:09:20 »
That's why I'm jumping up and down, to try it too!

Offline mr_sf_applet

Silent keyboard
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 18 December 2007, 01:10:27 »
I live in Australia. If you want, I can have it delivered to my place and then forward it to you.  I got mine from here, and the delivery was $15 (AUD).  So the final cost to you would be $69 + $15 + international shipping in $AUD. No refunds, no hatemail, if you don't like it.  (You will most likely hate the mouse).

Sounds good. I'll send you a PM. Let me know what the international shipping is and I can send you a payment via PayPal or whatever.

And I promise: no hate mail if I don't like it.

Silent keyboard
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 18 December 2007, 01:55:23 »

Sounds good. I'll send you a PM. Let me know what the international shipping is and I can send you a payment via PayPal or whatever.

And I promise: no hate mail if I don't like it.

Are you sure?  Perhaps this and this would be a better option (I can't believe they are so cheap, they cost a fortune over here):

An unflattering review, which I obviously disagree with:

A resounding endorsement, and another one.  Hilarious translations, but great pictures.

Note that the US layout that I have has "normal size" enter key, not the reverse-L in those pictures.  Also no markings on the space bar or enter key either.

Shipping won't be cheap
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 18 December 2007, 03:10:28 »
Based on package weight of 1.75 kg to 2 kg:

Express Post International    $51.50  (AUD)

Nooooo
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 18 December 2007, 05:00:41 »
:cry:

keystrokesolutions.com.au no longer has any left.  I could try a few other places, but they are significantly more expensive:

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=cherry+cymotion+master+solar

Offline mr_sf_applet

Re: Nooooo
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 18 December 2007, 07:50:26 »

keystrokesolutions.com.au no longer has any left.  I could try a few other places, but they are significantly more expensive:

If you can find it somewhere for under $120 (AUD), I'd still be interested.

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 18 December 2007, 08:49:51 »

If you can find it somewhere for under $120 (AUD), I'd still be interested.

These guys do international shipping:
http://www.pcsol.com.au/2ProdDetailSB.asp?code=MM14M86-2195BSX

Offline mr_sf_applet

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 18 December 2007, 09:45:27 »
These guys do international shipping:
http://www.pcsol.com.au/2ProdDetailSB.asp?code=MM14M86-2195BSX

Oh good, I'm going to try getting it from them, then. Thanks, Whiskey!