Author Topic: [IC] MKC Aluminum Case for Filco -- Group Buy or Not Group Buy?  (Read 8998 times)

Offline feng

• * Vendor
[IC] MKC Aluminum Case for Filco -- Group Buy or Not Group Buy?
« on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 22:17:13 »
Allright, I've said numerous times that I know how expensive MKC's aluminum case is, but there's nothing I can do to drop the price. Reference: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34606.0

And people still keep trying to make me feel bad about the price. T_T

So I just talked to MKC again, again! And here's the result we came out: If there're at least 10 orders, and no matter how many more order we will have (e.g. 1000 orders), we can get the the price down to $285 for each! And still, the shipping is $27 via DHL express directly shipped to you guys from China.

This is the best price I can get for this case. MKC said he can't reduce the price anymore lower because of the complexity. In the future, he might bring over a simple version of this case with a lower price.

And personally I would add a little promotion to this group buy: if you ordered a case, then you can add $20 for having a "Geekhack" aluminum backspace from here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34409.0

So please post in this thread if you are interested and wanna jump into this group buy for sure.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 August 2012, 23:42:23 by feng »

Offline nntnam

Re: [IC] MKC Aluminum Case for Filco -- Group Buy or Not Group Buy?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 23:04:39 »
I will be in for that price, but I can only purchase it by October :(.
░▒▓ KMAC | FILCO MJ2 | HHKB | PHANTOM ▓▒░

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 00:12:02 »
I think $285 is an excellent deal, but it's still, unfortunately, out of my range. Right now I'm anticipating using my neighbors hacksaw on my old tower, to get a steel resting plate and standoffs for my phantom.

Hopefully more people agree that this is a good price, and also have the means to make it good. That colour chart was really impressive!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 00:31:23 »
I'll just express my interest, but won't be "jumping" at it any time soon with this price.

And people still keep trying to make me feel bad about the price. T_T
I don't think anyone is trying to make you feel bad, because realistically price is a little steep. Just ask yourself, would you personally buy one of these without hesitation?

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 01:20:00 »
I don't think anyone is trying to make you feel bad, because realistically price is a little steep. Just ask yourself, would you personally buy one of these without hesitation?

I was just joking. :) Actually I do feel bad about the price because it's steep. This product came out like a month ago and I was too lazy opening the group buy because I knew and I've told MKC that this price won't get people interested. Personally I wouldn't take this case because for this price, I'd go with a KMAC, or other Korean custom keyboards.

Offline nebo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 01:32:19 »
I've already said I'm interested but I'll say so again in this thread for the record. For the promotion, are the other keycaps possible choices?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 03:29:48 »
I was just joking. :) Actually I do feel bad about the price because it's steep. Personally I wouldn't take this case because for this price, I'd go with a KMAC, or other Korean custom keyboards.

First off, isn't it as difficult as hell to even order/buy any KMAC case? The Korean stuff is like hens teeth to begin with, hence I wouldn't cry all that much in missing out.

If this guy can make these cases and the QUALITY is definitely there, then I'm in.  I don't care where it's from, Japan, China or South Korea just as long as the case is perfect and works with any TKL Filco.  Meaning the PCB/Plate of the Filco will not wobble/move when it's attached to the Aluminum case.  Plus easy clearance for the keys when everything is attached.

Price isn't everything, I've seen rubbish priced at $400USD that should never have been released.  But the poor beggars who jumped on it had a real bitter taste of such deals promising an upgrade but in fact stuffed the use of their keyboards within that case.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 06:11:07 »
At that price I might have to order one of these and finally pick up my first Filco keyboard as well.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 06:23:40 »
Are all the color options still available if we do it this way?

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 13:19:02 »
Will it be for TKL's only?
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 14:34:42 »
Any chance that he might do a Phantom case, 7bit layout, which leaves holes above the arrow keys?

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 19:39:12 »
I've already said I'm interested but I'll say so again in this thread for the record. For the promotion, are the other keycaps possible choices?
I wanna make it simple, so only the backspace is available for the promotion.

First off, isn't it as difficult as hell to even order/buy any KMAC case? The Korean stuff is like hens teeth to begin with, hence I wouldn't cry all that much in missing out.

If this guy can make these cases and the QUALITY is definitely there, then I'm in.  I don't care where it's from, Japan, China or South Korea just as long as the case is perfect and works with any TKL Filco.  Meaning the PCB/Plate of the Filco will not wobble/move when it's attached to the Aluminum case.  Plus easy clearance for the keys when everything is attached.

Price isn't everything, I've seen rubbish priced at $400USD that should never have been released.  But the poor beggars who jumped on it had a real bitter taste of such deals promising an upgrade but in fact stuffed the use of their keyboards within that case.
Well, that's true. It took me more than 3 months getting this KMAC. It's worth to wait though. But it's just so hard to buy one. I'm still dreaming about so many Korean custom keyboards such as 456 series, The Cheat, etc. Is getting a 456 series harder than having a Lamborghini Reventon?

Are all the color options still available if we do it this way?
Absolutely.

Will it be for TKL's only?
Yes, unfortunately. Though MKC used to have a plan to borrow my 104 Filco Aluminum Case to make a copy. But it hasn't come true yet.

Any chance that he might do a Phantom case, 7bit layout, which leaves holes above the arrow keys?
Not now. He's busy with something else lately and doesn't have plan to make neither case nor keycaps. :(

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 15:50:29 »
May I have each part of the case anodized in different colors?
And do you allow people to order one more upper part separately?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 16:13:54 »
I will order at the end of September if that isn't too late?

Offline Leewei

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 11:29:14 »
This could probably start up again in conjunction with the recent phantom pcb group buy, if a winkeyless casing is offered I would get 1 or 2 cases =D
Filco Majestouch 2 Beige TKL with MX Reds
Qsenn dt-35

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 20:17:47 »
Too bad MKC is making his own keyboard and will no longer make accessories for other branded keyboards :( this is over.
I love Elzy

Offline Leewei

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 20:34:51 »
=( That is too bad. He could probably do well if he made cases one more time for phantom. It will further his reputation a little more for himself and his keyboard.
Filco Majestouch 2 Beige TKL with MX Reds
Qsenn dt-35

Offline dirge

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 04:03:49 »
Get him to release the cad files for the case if he's not running any more. We could handle the rest.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Amr0d

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 05:39:24 »
How long will this be available? And will it fit a Phantom?
Filco MJ2 TKL browns | Race 75% LE reds | Phantom GH Edition soon™

HeatWare

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 11:44:44 »
I'm interested in one in RAL-3005 wine red.  Preferably a few months into next year, though.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline nebo

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 11:49:39 »
Everyone, this came and went, very few people were interested when it happened so it didn't last all that long. No new cases will be made as said in this thread because MKC wants to make his own keyboard and doesn't want to help out filco and others with his beautiful CNC work.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 11:49:45 »
[Important Update 10/31]: This group buy will be closed in 3 days. And this will be the last chance to having the MKC's aluminum case for Filco. MKC is planning to bring over his own keyboard brand, and he won't make any accessories such as aluminum case for the other brand's keyboards anymore. He will have his own keyboard with aluminum case.

Since feng is likely busy having just flown to China... the above is from his other thread where these were available for a time.

Locking thread.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens