Author Topic: What makes you trust an IC or GB?  (Read 932 times)

Offline ThatCometGuy

What makes you trust an IC or GB?
« on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 21:17:24 »
Question plain and simple, what are some of the things you actively search in a post before entering a Group Buy?

I've also seen that people don't like newcomers projects that much. Is it because they may come here just for the profit and not for the hobby?
I've seen some pretty good ideas from newcomers that never see the light and also wanted to know why that may be the case.

Also have nice day  :cool:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: What makes you trust an IC or GB?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 22:41:00 »
IC's have no risk so there is no reason to trust anything, it's just to see if there is enough interest. Small volume manufacturing is EXPENSIVE.

Every try bringing a product to market?
It takes a lot of time, money and effort. Group buys are often done on a shoestring budget and MANY people underestimate the cost to actually produce what they want. Even if they make it to a group buy, many organizers end up losing money trying to fulfill it. Just because Joe can bring an aluminum keyboard to market for $300 doesn't mean Danny can. There's a ton of little things that will quickly ramp up the price on something and if you don't know the tricks to avoid those pitfalls your "I hope to offer these for $300" quickly becomes "I finally got a quote on the case and it was $500".

I.C.s are just an idea, most have absolutely zero idea what it will actually cost and even when you have experience it doesn't always work out how you expect. One of my last big projects we got quotes from suppliers but when we went to order a quarter of the suppliers said the order was too small, another quarter said it was too large. We had to go and source out half of our suppliers all over again and almost always at a higher cost.

As for new people.
I don't even understand why this is asked so often by newcomers. Tell me why I should send you $500 for keyboard. I don't know you, you likely have no design, business or logistics experience and then expect me to wait months for you to deliver. Does ANY of that sound reasonable? For all I know a week after getting the money you could be sitting on a beach in the Bahamas enjoying retirement.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline iri

Re: What makes you trust an IC or GB?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 04:54:51 »
a week after getting the money you could be sitting on a beach in the Bahamas enjoying retirement.
Wrong!! I'll be sitting in the Canaries!! Mwahahahaha!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury