Author Topic: Does it bother anyone else when your keycaps get dirty?  (Read 49793 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Does it bother anyone else when your keycaps get dirty?
« on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 07:10:10 »

I don't even want to type on them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 October 2015, 07:15:58 by SpAmRaY »

Online azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: Does it bother anyone else when your keycaps get dirty?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 07:18:20 »
It bothers me a lot, I pretty much stopped using my cherry dyesubs because of it. I was cleaning my hands hourly when typing on them and still felt like I was "ruinning" them. I feel better typing on less rare keysets.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline raymogi

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 07:18:53 »
Hell yeah. I tried to clean them with microfibers while I'm putting them on. And anytime I see some dirt on it while I'm not typing I always try to blow it away with air compressor.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 08:07:17 »
Yes, but SA profile doubleshots don't get dirty.  :D  :thumb:

My blank white Keycool PBT's on my DIY board do, though, and it's depressing (also my Model M dyesubs, but slower). It's a combination of the material and texture. Every few months or so I have to take them off and wash them.

The solution is smooth ABS caps :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 08:43:31 »
Who wouldn't be bothered! I semi constantly clean my blank white caps on my HHKB. The boards looks so good when they clean and so grimy when they not :( Any one got any tips for quick cleaning? I took them all off the other day and thoroughly cleaned them with a toothbrush and some clean green and water and they were looking grimy again within a week  :'( I use it all day at work so makes sense but still...

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 09:11:45 »
It bothers me a lot, I pretty much stopped using my cherry dyesubs because of it. I was cleaning my hands hourly when typing on them and still felt like I was "ruinning" them. I feel better typing on less rare keysets.

Do they get dirty that easily? >.< but I agree, if I had a set of caps like that I would be much more careful...

Offline btctopre

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 09:46:13 »
ya'll are some savages.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 10:30:00 »
I'd take a picture of my Filco w/ reds cause that's a NASTY board

but most of my other boards are pretty clean
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 10:33:54 »
Throw them out and buy new ones, ffs.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 10:35:02 »
Throw them out and buy new ones, ffs.

gmk is expensive tho
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 11:13:42 »
My only dream in life has ever been to have a fresh pair of socks for every day of my life. I know it is extremely wasteful, but damn does it feel good.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 11:16:18 »
My only dream in life has ever been to have a fresh pair of socks for every day of my life. I know it is extremely wasteful, but damn does it feel good.

Your avatar has no socks.  LIAR
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:03:25 »
I have to wipe every spot/dirt on every keycap make sure they're 100% clean, cos I love them all  :D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:08:12 »
Yeah i just recently got white pbt again and forgot how dirty they get. sometimes I get blood on my caps which is annoying (bad habit biting fingers)
I love Elzy

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:16:19 »
Yes, I hate when they get dirty, that's why I hate "Classic Beige" so much amd bright coloured caps in general.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Huxley2500

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 14:45:36 »
Use hand sanitizer.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 15:15:10 »
So long as I can't feel the dirt when I type, it doesn't bother me one bit.

My hands are rarely clean enough for some of you beat freaks.  With my job, I can come home from work, wash my hands with fast orange, shower every day, do the dishes every other day, and they will still be dirty for 4 or 5 days depending on the job.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline osi

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 15:15:48 »
I like to clean my caps once every 6 months at least

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 15:18:11 »
I never noticed how quickly caps got dirty until I started using white caps on my Ducky Shine 3. The OCD I get when seeing dirt or a hair is ridiculous.
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 20:58:47 »
I don't tend to notice as it's a gradual process.

When they get too dirty, I just swap them out and/or soak them in denture tabs for a while.

Plus I tend to notice layers of dust over everything in general first.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Incredigasmic

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 21:15:15 »
Dust drives me crazy too. The worst is the shine from your finger oils on grey caps. Hackd by Geeks is a prime example of this. :/ I dry my hands out washing them so much to prevent it.
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 01:38:00 »
Not really. it happens over time so the gradiated dirt buildup is imperceptible unless you actually wash your keys.
I swear my Dolch set is about 2 shades darker than when I first put them on.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 21:12:26 »
I started just typing on dirty boards, so they look cleaner as the dirt wears off!  :))

I guess if dirt is getting really bad, one could wear latex/nitrile gloves before typing.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 21:30:02 »
Yes, but SA profile doubleshots don't get dirty.  :D :thumb:

My blank white Keycool PBT's on my DIY board do, though, and it's depressing (also my Model M dyesubs, but slower). It's a combination of the material and texture. Every few months or so I have to take them off and wash them.

The solution is smooth ABS caps :)

+1, Texture and material make a set almost maintenance free, in my experience, OG ABS DS Cherry makes the best self cleaning typing surface. PBT seems to be a dirt magnet, it is worst if it has a rough finish.

Offline Terbografx

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 08:01:14 »
Hell yeah. I tried to clean them with microfibers while I'm putting them on. And anytime I see some dirt on it while I'm not typing I always try to blow it away with air compressor.

Me....all the time.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 18:15:16 »
Denture tab cleanser will get those dirty suckers shiny once again.
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 18:47:17 »
Since I don't look at my keyboard, I typically don't notice until a 'u' of dirt shows up on the keys. Then I either spend all day scraping it off (laptop keyboard), or pop the keys off to soak for a bit. It doesn't bother me until I can notice it though, at which point I can't stop noticing it.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:20:18 »
Denture tab cleanser will get those dirty suckers shiny once again.
Is this the best method to use? 

The one time I've cleaned our original M, we took off the keycaps and just used toothpaste and a toothbrush followed by a nice rinse and then towel dry.  I think this was paste without all the harsh stuff in it like today though--it was at least 20 years ago.

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:26:01 »
I have a set of PBT keycaps that need a wash but im really scared if I wash them ill ruin them, any tips?  :-X

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:28:17 »
I have a set of PBT keycaps that need a wash but im really scared if I wash them ill ruin them, any tips?  :-X

Why do you think a wash may ruin PBT stuff?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 00:08:33 »

Soak them in denture tabs for a while.  Doesn't harm them at all, and they come out smelling minty fresh :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 00:09:19 »

Soak them in denture tabs for a while.  Doesn't harm them at all, and they come out smelling minty fresh :)

I use an ultrasonic cleaner, but denture tabs are awesome too.

Offline Jhonan

• Chicks love duck pics...
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 16:24:45 »
I hate the anti-microbial finish on my Tai-Haos as they aren't really dirty, but as the finish wears off the pbt it almost causes a grimy look, need to soak em in alcohol and scrub em clean of the crap lol

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 16:52:23 »
I hate the anti-microbial finish on my Tai-Haos as they aren't really dirty, but as the finish wears off the pbt it almost causes a grimy look, need to soak em in alcohol and scrub em clean of the crap lol

eww! Thank for sharing bro, if someone has wondered what about that finishing this information may help making his mind about it.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 17:15:05 »

I have some Tai Hao caps too and I scratched that layer off when I accidently thought the cap was dirty (go figure).

Anyone know how to get rid of the scratch marks?

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Jhonan

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 17:32:58 »

I have some Tai Hao caps too and I scratched that layer off when I accidently thought the cap was dirty (go figure).

It won't get rid of the scratch marks, but it will get rid of the coating entirely https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3ik3jz/guide_how_to_remove_taihaos_nano_antibiosis/

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:08:35 »
omg, they put that stuff on keycaps too?  Ferrari and Porsche interior are notorious for that stuff flaking off after a couple of years, but this is on the dash where you're not mashing on it day after day.

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:17:35 »
I just wipe down periodically.

Offline Jhonan

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:19:23 »
omg, they put that stuff on keycaps too?  Ferrari and Porsche interior are notorious for that stuff flaking off after a couple of years, but this is on the dash where you're not mashing on it day after day.
Surprisingly, the parts of my keys where it has worn off from look brighter by comparison to the keys that aren't used as frequently, so apparently it dulls the colors slightly, that or my fingers are just making the finish grimy and the pbt underneath is more resistant to the effect.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:32:59 »
I have a tendency of resting my right thumb against the space bar sometimes - just took off my caps for cleaning today and wasn't expecting this....

Edit: I'm so sorry GMK  :'( :'( :'(

Warning: nsfl

« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:37:44 by swimmingbird »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:47:58 »
I have a tendency of resting my right thumb against the space bar sometimes - just took off my caps for cleaning today and wasn't expecting this....

What is that? It seems like some sort of residue, where do you use your keyboard at?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:48:44 »

What is that? It seems like some sort of residue, where do you use your keyboard at?

Dead skin from my thumb rubbing against the front bottom edge of the spacebar

Offline bjb39

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:49:58 »
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like PBT gets dirtier faster than ABS.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:50:37 »

No way, that is so gross. When was the last time you took that bar off its place?

Offline Pdub

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:51:13 »

O.O this is a great idea.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:52:24 »

No way, that is so gross. When was the last time you took that bar off its place?

Yeah I know right

Been using this board for the past 2 months or so alternating with HHKB - not a problem on the HHKB as it doesn't have the floating key style that the Gon does

Offline Jhonan

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:56:27 »

That is horrifying...
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2015, 20:00:09 by Jhonan »

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:59:20 »
Absolutely it does! Especially when you have keycaps that are lighter in color, or that have bright colors which show the dirt quicker. I typically wash my keycap sets every month or so. It gives my other sets some time on the board anyway  :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 20:10:35 »

Offline Kola93

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 21:20:47 »
Wear and tear on keycaps are pretty normal, but having visible dirt just means that you should wipe it more. :thumb:

Nothing like proactive dirty keyboard prevention! ^-^

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #50 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 21:52:13 »
I don't really ever find my caps dirty, excluding dust or hair. I tend to try and keep my board always blown out with compressed air. I just got a used K65 for an upcoming project and that thing was disgusting but after a bath in soapy water and a cleaning the plate with Qtips and rubbing alcohol everything is squeaky clean. 

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 02:53:52 »
I don't really ever find my caps dirty, excluding dust or hair. I tend to try and keep my board always blown out with compressed air. I just got a used K65 for an upcoming project and that thing was disgusting but after a bath in soapy water and a cleaning the plate with Qtips and rubbing alcohol everything is squeaky clean.

Qtips are a great idea, I usually use a little brush (similar to a toothbrush) to remove anything between the switches and plate while all the caps are off.  :thumb:

Offline Kola93

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 02:57:49 »

Qtips are a great idea, I usually use a little brush (similar to a toothbrush) to remove anything between the switches and plate while all the caps are off.  :thumb:

What I usually do is fire up the air compressor, blow out all the dirt and stuff inside the keyboard, then finish by gently wiping a towel over the keycaps and keyboard.

Do this once in a while and you will have a well-maintained and clean keyboard. ^-^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 04:30:22 »
Visible dirt on keycaps means cleaner hands!

Offline Frizer

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 05:13:52 »
I run them through the dishwasher every 6 months or so.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:25:16 »

I wash them in the counter sink with regular soap for the dishes, and I have done it like two times in several years.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:28:13 »

I wash them in the counter sink with regular soap for the dishes, and I have done it like two times in several years.

I might try this one - the dishwasher idea scares me for some reason because of the heat (I know ABS and PBT's plastic temperature is
way higher but still feel uncomfortable about it)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:40:34 »

I might try this one - the dishwasher idea scares me for some reason because of the heat (I know ABS and PBT's plastic temperature is
way higher but still feel uncomfortable about it)

it appears to be not the best of ideas, unless you have an accurate control of the temperature you may end with warped keys, mainly those over one unit length.

Offline Jhonan

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:51:50 »
Visible dirt on keycaps means cleaner hands!
I like the way you think sir.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:59:15 »
I've been using Clorox wipes to wipe down every week or so, but foresee that as a problem since no one else cleans their board that way :-X
Other than that, once or twice I've taken all the keys off and soaked them in a bowl with dish soap and warm water

Offline Butter

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:57:23 »
It bother the **** out of me if my board is dirty. So I put a acrylic cover on my board before I go to sleep. For your case maybe magic eraser can clean it up a bit.

Offline gabba-gool

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:11:37 »
I've noticed the white PBT stock caps on my pok3r get dirty very fast. Probably because they're white. I wash my hands before using the board too. I think the rough texture just traps dirt, as mentioned earlier. But anyway, it bothers me and I clean the caps regularly.

Offline heroinbob

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:00:08 »
Non damaging method of cleaning keycaps - from my personal experience.

Take a couple of pictures of keyboard so you know which keys go where (I do this for ease only - although not critical)

I use an ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight (heated unit) - about $70USD

I fill it up with hot water, add about 1/8 cup of baking soda and a generous squirt of dawn dishwashing liquid

Throw the caps into a mesh bag (nylon stocking will do fine also) - tie off the top with twist-tie

Drop the meshbag into the water/bakingsoda/dishwashing liquid, turn on the ultrasonic (heater too) and cook for 5 minutes
- turn off heater, repeat 5 minutes ultrasonic only

Remove mesh bag from water, run under water, shake all excess water off
Open mesh bag and inspect keys - should be clean (if not repeat above scrub process).

Lay out the caps on a towel to dry (legend face up) - takes about an hour for them to dry (optionally, you can blow them dry with canned air or compressor - I don't suggest using heat)

Wipe down the keyboard case/frame, blow out the keyboard using canned air (or compressor if you have it - cheaper).

Reassemble keycaps on board.

The baking soda acts as micro abrasive scrubbers (triggered by the ultrasonic), the soap is a non-destructive degreaser - I have not had any issues with UV coating being removed or bleaching dark caps.

Never add any harsh chemicals (bleach/ammonia/etc...) - they will contribute to stripping the UV coating off the caps (and in some cases will lighten them).

I once made the mistake of adding a cleaner that bleached some black caps - but I was able to restore them using an acetone vapor wash.

Paul (HB)
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:58:15 by heroinbob »

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:46:28 »
Wear and tear on my HiPro...

Ugh it feels bad =[

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:39:19 »
Oooo...I should share a way to make cheap compressed air before the cans were everywhere.
  • Get a bicycle pump
  • Put a ball inflation needle on the end
  • Pump and point the burst of air from the needle where you need it.
Two people are best for this if you have a big job, but a burst here or there can be done easily with one person.  You don't have to fully extend the pump handle to get the air pressure needed.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:12:50 »

Take a couple of pictures of keyboard so you know which keys go where (I do this for ease only - although not critical)

I fill it up with hot water, add about 1/8 cup of baking soda and a generous squirt of dawn dishwashing liquid

Throw the caps into a mesh bag (nylon stocking will do fine also) - tie off the top with twist-tie

Drop the meshbag into the water/bakingsoda/dishwashing liquid, turn on the ultrasonic (heater too) and cook for 5 minutes

Open mesh bag and inspect keys - should be clean (if not repeat above scrub process).

Lay out the caps on a towel to dry (legend face up) - takes about an hour for them to dry (optionally, you can blow them dry with canned air or compressor - I don't suggest using heat)

Wipe down the keyboard case/frame, blow out the keyboard using canned air (or compressor if you have it - cheaper).

The baking soda acts as micro abrasive scrubbers (triggered by the ultrasonic), the soap is a non-destructive degreaser - I have not had any issues with UV coating being removed or bleaching dark caps.

Never add any harsh chemicals (bleach/ammonia/etc...) - they will contribute to stripping the UV coating off the caps (and in some cases will lighten them).

I once made the mistake of adding a cleaner that bleached some black caps - but I was able to restore them using an acetone vapor wash.

Paul (HB)

The extended writing is appreciated; however, the procedure is over-complicated. The use of backing soda is effective, but most of the time a simple wash with some previous immersion time is more than enough.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:59:27 »

It won't get rid of the scratch marks, but it will get rid of the coating entirely https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3ik3jz/guide_how_to_remove_taihaos_nano_antibiosis/

Thank you! I might just have to do this. I love the grainy feel and hate the coating the Tai-Hao have.

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 06:16:41 »

Thank you! I might just have to do this. I love the grainy feel and hate the coating the Tai-Hao have.

So glad this was posted! :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 06:48:25 »
I would be very careful with compressed air you can mess up switches with it.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 06:52:36 »

Can't tell if joking...
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:11:49 »

Can't tell if joking...

I'm absolutely not joking, there have been a few people here ruin switches with compressed air, you end up blowing dust, hair, crumbs etc into the switches and it can cause issues.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:13:02 »

Can't tell if joking...

I'm absolutely not joking, there have been a few people here ruin switches with compressed air, you end up blowing dust, hair, crumbs etc into the switches and it can cause issues.

That's interesting, how did it happen?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:17:53 »

Can't tell if joking...

Just like I said, you can end up getting foreign materials inside the switch by using compressed air.

This can lead to chattering or depending on material it could possibly eventually cause corrosion internally and/or some other interference/damage within the switch mechanism.

Not saying this happens all the time,  just trying to caution people that it can happen.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:21:42 »

Can't tell if joking...

Just like I said, you can end up getting foreign materials inside the switch by using compressed air.

This can lead to chattering or depending on material it could possibly eventually cause corrosion internally and/or some other interference/damage within the switch mechanism.

Not saying this happens all the time,  just trying to caution people that it can happen.

Ahh yeah true, I must have skimmed over the last part of that reply. I usually use a similar thing, this canless air blower (http://www.canlessair.com/), it doesn't have any of the issues with the condensation that canned air does, but yeah fully get the pieces of crumbs and stuff. Every day that I sit down at my computer I do a wipe and dust over the whole area though!

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:48:15 »
Oooo...I should share a way to make cheap compressed air before the cans were everywhere.
  • Get a bicycle pump
Two people are best for this if you have a big job, but a burst here or there can be done easily with one person.  You don't have to fully extend the pump handle to get the air pressure needed.

Too much work.  Compressed air is cheap.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 08:31:30 »

Paul (HB)

The extended writing is appreciated; however, the procedure is over-complicated. The use of backing soda is effective, but most of the time a simple wash with some previous immersion time is more than enough.
I actually found this detailed procedure quite useful.  It's details like this that you will find in a community where a paltry 10g force difference on a keystroke makes a world of difference.
Another thing about compressed air is that certain variants do have a substance that comes out with the air.  DSLR manufacturers warn against cleaning the sensors or mirrors in their cameras with compressed air for this reason.  Something to keep in mind.

Offline mszy52

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:55:27 »
On my first mech, i had white keys which would requently get dirty but i upgraded my caps to a clean set of black faced caps and I dont have to deal with the dirtyness anymore

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 20:44:22 »
I used to get white t-shirts dirty all the time, but now I wear black and never notice the dirt.  ;D

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 20:55:30 »
I used to get white t-shirts dirty all the time, but now I wear black and never notice the dirt.  ;D

This is actually totally true though

If you get a big splotch of ketchup on a plain white tee you look like a retard for the whole day whereas you can manage it much more discretely with darker shirts  :p

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 21:47:44 »
My car working clothes consists of a bunch of all-black pants and shirts.  I'll never know how dirty I am and nor does the wife, hehe.

Offline E3E

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 22:00:01 »
I usually wipe off my caps with a mix of distilled water/white vinegar when I'm done, or just alcohol for PBT. That helps me sleep better at night. :P

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 05:49:27 »

If you get a big splotch of ketchup on a plain white tee you look like a retard for the whole day whereas you can manage it much more discretely with darker shirts  :p

Ketchup? Come on mate, it's Tomato Sauce in Oz!

Offline E3E

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 06:28:41 »
Dammit, now I want some spaghetti with all this mentioning of tomato-y things.

I also want to buy an ultrasonic cleaner now, but until then, denture tabs and wipe downs with alcohol or vinegar must suffice!

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 08:46:14 »
Inb4 spills tomato sauce on keyboard. :-X

My keyboard never really get dirty, I just go slightly mad when too much dust gets on it.  >:D

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Does it bother anyone else when your keycaps get dirty?
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 08:55:57 »
POM keycaps (are those still a thing?) and PBT keycaps seem to get "oily" from my fingers than ABS keycaps.

I use a baby wipe every now and then to clean them off. When they have dust/dirt/Frenchfries down in between I use a big blob of some sort of cleaning slime I got off Taobao a while back.

If it gets really bad I pull them off put them in a mesh bag and throw them in the top rack of the dishwasher. Last resort is soaking in denture cleaner.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 00:11:09 »

Similarly if you get a big splodge of tomato sauce (or BBQ sauce, which is nicer) on light coloured keycaps, you look like a retard, but on dark coloured keycaps you just look like a messy eater.

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 00:31:16 »
Im OCD about stuff like that, dirt or specs on my keys. Or even like a piece of hair on my desk haha little things but still bothers me. I don't think i could ever buy a set of white keys. I keep my hands clean but if they started to show any visible dirt they'd be getting cleaned immediately.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:35:42 »
Im OCD about stuff like that, dirt or specs on my keys. Or even like a piece of hair on my desk haha little things but still bothers me. I don't think i could ever buy a set of white keys. I keep my hands clean but if they started to show any visible dirt they'd be getting cleaned immediately.

Most of the dust I have seems to be lighter in colour.  It shows up immediately on a black keyboard or keycaps, but nowhere near as much on a beige or white keyboard.

Offline WolfTickets

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 08:00:23 »
I'm a big fan of keyboards and cases that do not have a raised edge around the top.  I think some people may refer to is as "low profile" cases.  My Winkeyless b.87 board is an example.  Not having that ridge keeps all that junk from being trapped, and it helps the keyboard stay cleaner for longer.

Offline moshimalloe

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 16:54:30 »
  • Get a bicycle pump

Omg why have I never thought of this. Do you think a balloon hand pump would work?

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 17:08:53 »
I don't think anyone in their right mind would want dirty keycaps
Or maybe they would, to each their own  :))

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 11:19:20 »
  • Get a bicycle pump

Omg why have I never thought of this. Do you think a balloon hand pump would work?
Probably.  I haven't tried it, so try it and let us know!  :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 11:22:59 »
An electric pump for tires could work as well. They are very noisy but for a few minutes of cleaning that would not be a problem, and it can get a ball needle at its end as well.

Offline zlittell

• My Projects
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 11:57:49 »
I purchased the SP white base with red modifiers blank set for my first 60% and I am terrified of the possibility of dirtyness :(

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 12:17:26 »
An electric pump for tires could work as well. They are very noisy but for a few minutes of cleaning that would not be a problem, and it can get a ball needle at its end as well.
Another great idea!  Those will actually work even better as the air 'pulses' due to the way those pumps work.  Only problem might be that they need a 12v power connector as most don't have a wall outlet plug. :(

But then I was thinking, even an air bed pump may work well.  Or a shop vac in blower mode--although that may be too strong.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 12:45:18 »
Another great idea!  Those will actually work even better as the air 'pulses' due to the way those pumps work.  Only problem might be that they need a 12v power connector as most don't have a wall outlet plug. :(

But then I was thinking, even an air bed pump may work well.  Or a shop vac in blower mode--although that may be too strong.

You can bring your board near your car to clean it. It should not be a problem, if you already have one of those pumps, as I do, it is just a way to put it into another use.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 14:32:55 »

You can bring your board near your car to clean it. It should not be a problem, if you already have one of those pumps, as I do, it is just a way to put it into another use.
Good point, lol.

I don't know why I think everything must gravitate to the keyboard, lol.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 15:41:11 »

Ketchup? Come on mate, it's Tomato Sauce in Oz!

You beat me to it!  :p

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 00:37:04 »
Haha yes! I have black caps so every time I see a speckle of dust, I go crazy and do a quick dust. I try not to let them get too bad though!  :))

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 00:45:09 »
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like PBT gets dirtier faster than ABS.

Could be that since they have a more textured surface more dust/dirt would stick to the keys. I don't really use ABS keys atm so I can't say for sure but it would make sense to me.

Offline agbockus

« Reply #100 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 01:25:48 »
I WAS THINKING ABOUT THIS TODAY...when I was typing on my HHKB (black...so you can see every speck of dust that gets on the keys...). I feel as if I'm cleaning the caps every five seconds...this is not good...

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 04:21:52 »
its bother myself most than other i think  :thumb:

Offline Incredigasmic

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:12:42 »
Considering buying a keyboard brush at this point :/

Offline ndolan33

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:24:16 »
Think of it as a memory of the good times you and your board have had together :)

Offline hitlu

• [LF] Ogres and Colonel
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:28:44 »
this is usful inf for me
Colonel or Ogre

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:58:23 »

Good point, lol.

We gravitate everything around a keyboard at GH.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:44:56 »

Good point, lol.

We gravitate everything around a keyboard at GH.
Whew!  I thought something was wrong, lol.

Offline Zaskar

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:02:17 »
I don't mind it too much because I know it isn't permanently doing anything that a simple cleaning with soapy water acant reverse.

If it was actually staining the keycaps id probably freak out and never use light caps again :P

Offline RAMPSKALLE

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 02:39:11 »
I find cleaning the keycaps satisfying. Very satisfying.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:26:54 »
I find cleaning the keycaps satisfying. Very satisfying.

Question here is, do you get more satisfaction from a particular set versus another set  :p

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 20:28:43 »
I loved the Miami set until I actually started using it at work.  After about two weeks of use, you could see a thin layer of dirt/oil gathering on all the turquoise keys. (I usually keep my hands clean and wash them about 3-4 times a day after I piss/****.) I picked up a box of alcohol wipes and would occasionally wipe down the keys, but that became sorta tiresome to do every week.

Offline dthai17

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 08:54:45 »
I wash my hands before typing and keep alcohol pads at my desk. So you're definitely normal haha

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 08:56:26 »
I loved the Miami set until I actually started using it at work.  After about two weeks of use, you could see a thin layer of dirt/oil gathering on all the turquoise keys. (I usually keep my hands clean and wash them about 3-4 times a day after I piss/****.) I picked up a box of alcohol wipes and would occasionally wipe down the keys, but that became sorta tiresome to do every week.

That is very sad. How is the Miami's texture? Is it rough?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 08:58:33 »

It's probably also good to ask which Miami set, if its tai-hao those caps have a coating that can be removed.

Offline Tofunator

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:21:50 »
Bothers me a lot since I have blank white key caps but I have stop caring since I'm getting new key caps soon anyways haha

Offline agong8664

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 21:32:45 »
All my keycaps are not rare, cause I choose keycaps simply on the feeling I type on them. So I do not care if I will ruin the caps, once they are destroyed(never happened though), I will just buy another set.
About dirty, if it doesn't affect the feeling of type, I don't care.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 22:48:29 »

It's probably also good to ask which Miami set, if its tai-hao those caps have a coating that can be removed.

Yeah, the texture is sort of rough on the Tai Hao but has that slightly gross stickiness from the damn coating, gonna remove it as soon as I can get some alcohol at a high enough proof. I don't think 70% is going to cut it.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 21:41:23 »

Yeah, the texture is sort of rough on the Tai Hao but has that slightly gross stickiness from the damn coating, gonna remove it as soon as I can get some alcohol at a high enough proof. I don't think 70% is going to cut it.

This and fire! (ok maybe not the fire)

Offline MagicSauce

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 12:33:29 »
I hate the gunk that builds up on my HHKB...Gotta start cleaning more often

Offline shibataken

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:02:05 »
Are there any real tips for maintenance of keycaps?  Maybe an Isopropyl 90% alcohol rub every once in a while or does that remove the paint?

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:16:28 »
Are there any real tips for maintenance of keycaps?  Maybe an Isopropyl 90% alcohol rub every once in a while or does that remove the paint?

I've seen people use denture cleaner to clean off their keys.  I'd imagine it's pretty easy on the plastic since it's basically just minty Alka-Seltzer, so I intend to use those the next time my keys get gross.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 16:21:43 »

I've seen people use denture cleaner to clean off their keys.  I'd imagine it's pretty easy on the plastic since it's basically just minty Alka-Seltzer, so I intend to use those the next time my keys get gross.

The ultimate guide:
https://www.keychatter.com/2014/08/01/how-to-clean-keycaps/

Offline Wanita

• www.icstation.com
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 23:55:39 »
Yes it seems a common problem now and hope one day we can wash the keyboard to make it clean.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 23:39:47 »
I just noticed the other day that my spacebar that I replaced with a Unicomp one is now as dirty as the rest of the keys, lol.  I think it was lonely since it was the only clean key.

I really can't wait to clean all the Ms.  They're really filthy.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 23:45:22 »
I just noticed the other day that my spacebar that I replaced with a Unicomp one is now as dirty as the rest of the keys, lol.  I think it was lonely since it was the only clean key.

There's no time like the present  :thumb:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 09:05:28 »

There's no time in the present  :thumb:
Fixed.  ;)

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 15:29:11 »

Fixed.  ;)

Haha, I went back to fix my post thinking I'd actually typed that  :-[

You need a keyboard cleaning maid!

Offline E3E

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 20:00:40 »
If they're straight up dirty, like with actual dirt on the keys, then hell no! If it's shine, then eh. I'm totally not a slob, but I think genetics screwed me when it comes to key cap shine, (if it has to do with oils anyway) because most of my caps get shiny pretty quick, so there's not much I can do. I have found that using a fine polishing cloth can take the shine off even old super shiny caps, but aside from photo ops, it's really not worth it if they're just going to shine up again.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 20:03:40 by E3E »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 11:58:06 »

Fixed.  ;)

I do...
If they're straight up dirty, like with actual dirt on the keys, then hell no! If it's shine, then eh. I'm totally not a slob, but I think genetics screwed me when it comes to key cap shine, (if it has to do with oils anyway) because most of my caps get shiny pretty quick, so there's not much I can do. I have found that using a fine polishing cloth can take the shine off even old super shiny caps, but aside from photo ops, it's really not worth it if they're just going to shine up again.
Non-shiny keyboard caps is kinda like non-shiny skin--doesn't seem real to me.  :thumb:

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:19:29 »

Fixed.  ;)

I do...
Show Image
Non-shiny keyboard caps is kinda like non-shiny skin--doesn't seem real to me.  :thumb:

Err...I better stop cleaning mine as well  :p

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:46:03 »
I absolutely hate dirty keys so wash my hands before every typing session and NEVER eat or drink at the keyboard.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:50:13 »
I absolutely hate dirty keys so wash my hands before every typing session and NEVER eat or drink at the keyboard.

Not even once? Cheeky pizza? NEVER!?

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
    • Check out my stuff here!
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 20:34:46 »
You must have a lot of self-control!

I'm also pretty strict about not eating or drinking near the keyboard but it's really hard to do so at work because then it means I have to finish my snacks/food/drinks elsewhere and won't be able to snack at my desk...

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 01:22:39 »

I eat and drink at the computer but I wash my hands frequently and won't type until after I've eaten.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 01:31:55 »

I eat and drink at the computer but I wash my hands frequently and won't type until after I've eaten.

I eat at the keyboard with chopsticks.  No need to wash hands :)

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 02:42:20 »

Ever picked up the chopsticks the wrong way?  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 02:45:51 »

Nope :p

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 02:47:57 »

Pro :)

I've been eating so much Vietnamese food this year hoping to up my chopstick game.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 03:04:16 »

I've been eating so much Vietnamese food this year hoping to up my chopstick game.

I did drop a chopstick once :(

But only once!

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 03:26:11 »

But only once!

...and that chopstick was never seen again...straight in the fire pit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 04:08:43 »

But only once!

No!  No, it was one of my yellow pair, and definitely recovered seconds later!

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #141 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 05:01:15 »

But only once!

No!  No, it was one of my yellow pair, and definitely recovered seconds later!

Haha glad to hear it... I don't really have a pair but do prefer the wooden (cheap?) ones over the shiny plasticy ones :D

Offline raymogi

« Reply #142 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 05:04:02 »
You two should get used to the metal Korean chopsticks. It feels sturdy and balanced in your hands :D

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #143 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 15:04:37 »
You two should get used to the metal Korean chopsticks. It feels sturdy and balanced in your hands :D

The food just seems to slip off the metal ones for me, maybe I need to just up my game  ;D

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #144 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 15:11:39 »
Who wouldn't be bothered! I semi constantly clean my blank white caps on my HHKB. The boards looks so good when they clean and so grimy when they not :( Any one got any tips for quick cleaning? I took them all off the other day and thoroughly cleaned them with a toothbrush and some clean green and water and they were looking grimy again within a week  :'( I use it all day at work so makes sense but still...

i put my caps in a glass off vineagear mixed with water and soap. Leave them for a day, then just wipe the dirt off with paper. As good as new

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #145 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:45:27 »

i put my caps in a glass off vineagear mixed with water and soap. Leave them for a day, then just wipe the dirt off with paper. As good as new

I found using denture tabs that I don't need to wipe them at all, all teh dirt seems to fall off into the bottom of the vase that I'm using.

Offline Charizard

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 21:14:40 »

I found using denture tabs that I don't need to wipe them at all, all teh dirt seems to fall off into the bottom of the vase that I'm using.

Yeah I also recommend the denture tabs. Saves you a lot of time having to clean each cap individually, plus they smell nice afterwards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 03:55:50 »

Yeah I also recommend the denture tabs. Saves you a lot of time having to clean each cap individually, plus they smell nice afterwards.

Mmmmmm nice and minty :D

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:09:57 »

Never!

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 15:07:28 »

Never!

Clearly lies... :P

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:54:16 »

Never!

Definitely lies

My dolch still has dominos pepperoni oil on it

Offline E3E

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:30:20 »
Have you guys ever seen keyboards with caps that look like they've been so well-used that they're worn through? I've seen pics of a few and really wonder what kind of conditions boards like that have been in. Beyond wearing down texture to the point of going THROUGH the cap. Damn!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:32:41 »
Have you guys ever seen keyboards with caps that look like they've been so well-used that they're worn through? I've seen pics of a few and really wonder what kind of conditions boards like that have been in. Beyond wearing down texture to the point of going THROUGH the cap. Damn!

Really? Have some pictures as examples?

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:51:55 »
Being shiny and wornout does not bother me so much but if there is a single smudge of anything on the keyboard I will clean the whole thing.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 04:11:41 »

Oh cool, so just something like this: https://clicks.co.za/products/view/steradent-pro-denture-cleaner-whitening-30-tablets ? and may be a stupid question but is this ok for any colour caps?

Offline E3E

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 04:18:10 »

Oh cool, so just something like this: https://clicks.co.za/products/view/steradent-pro-denture-cleaner-whitening-30-tablets ? and may be a stupid question but is this ok for any colour caps?

I've also used Alka-Seltzer to good effect, which I think are almost the same as denture tabs? Pretty much any tablets that effervesce while in water. Those clean caps very well.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 04:53:48 »

Never!

Definitely lies

My dolch still has dominos pepperoni oil on it

Haha double pepperoni deep pan...i hear ya  :thumb:

Offline O(logn)

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 07:08:46 »

Looks Yummy... :p

Offline Dext

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 17:02:20 »
I HATE WHEN MY KEYBOARD GETS DIRTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

By the way, what's the best way to properly clean PBT keycaps? (from a leopold FC750R)

Offline E3E

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 20:38:08 »

By the way, what's the best way to properly clean PBT keycaps? (from a leopold FC750R)

For a small thing, wiping them with alcohol works and is safe for PBT. For a more thorough cleaning, putting them in a denture tab or alka-seltzer bath will spruce them right up.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 20:45:13 »

For a small thing, wiping them with alcohol works and is safe for PBT. For a more thorough cleaning, putting them in a denture tab or alka-seltzer bath will spruce them right up.

Asked the wife right away if she knew about those things as soon as I read that comment. Now I know how to clean keycaps properly.

I've been cleaning it with just water (and spit) sometimes  :))

Offline E3E

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:19:42 »

Asked the wife right away if she knew about those things as soon as I read that comment. Now I know how to clean keycaps properly.

I've been cleaning it with just water (and spit) sometimes  :))

Ahaha, you're not alone on that last method. I usually use a little microfiber cloth dabbed with a mix of distilled water (not really important) and white vinegar for ABS, but sometimes I've used yeah, my finger wet with a little of spit. :-X Totally not hygenic, haha.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 09:25:16 »
Still bothers me can't wait for my new keyboard to get here so I can stop typing on these dirty caps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 09:26:37 »
How did you even find this thread?  :))
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 09:28:33 »
I made the thread :cool: .....it was never lost.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 09:42:19 »
I made the thread :cool: .....it was never lost.

;D
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 21:53:58 »
Still bothers me can't wait for my new keyboard to get here so I can stop typing on these dirty caps.
Show Image

Have you tried cleaning them?

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 00:43:31 »
1. Burn;
2. Buy new;
3. Clean, pretty, shiny.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 09:06:37 »
1. Burn;
2. Buy new;
3. Clean, pretty, shiny.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 00:39:16 »
oh yes when people have white keycaps and munch on some cheetos without washing their hands before typing, makes me want to cry :')

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 15:25:21 »
Mental note #1:  Never buy from swimmingbird, he's filthy!

Mental note #2:  Locate SpAmRaY on GPS and dig through his trash for free keycaps!

Offline syke

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 18:17:19 »
Yes... I clean my keyboard on a daily basis

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:32:30 »
just clean them

Offline ag36

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 04:29:23 »
Yes, I use lens wipe to clean them.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline aya3154

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 23:39:34 »
Also I have a sleeve to put my keyboard into when I'm not using it , moisture and dust exposure really gets me sometimes..
Previously I did'nt do this and after some cold nights I'd wake up to moist keys   :-X

Offline aya3154

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 23:43:43 »
Oh and for white/light colored keycaps, specs of dust combined with moisture would smudge them so I'd have to periodically wipe them down with some alcohol solvent , it's esp worse if your desk setup is close to a window   :-[

Offline DirtyMonkey43

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 13:30:21 »
i constantly wash my hands due to preventing this

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 15:29:53 »
I'm not overly picky with cleanliness with dust, though I try my best to avoid any Cheetos-hands type situations with my nice keyboards!

Offline jackcauliflower

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 12:56:11 »
Yes, even worse when my co-worker has messy caps. I can’t stand when people don’t keep them clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk