Author Topic: Converting KB-5181 to NKRO  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Aran.E99

Converting KB-5181 to NKRO
« on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 10:15:25 »
Hey guys, its been a while since I last modded keyboards and so I thought I may as well have a bit on fun with my beloved KB-5181 with SMK 2nd gens. As much as I love the board, I hate the fact that it's only capable of what I assume is 2KRO. I'm curious about converting it to NKRO without a Teensy by simply soldering diodes into the matrix. I don't have a problem doing this since I've built a few myself but my question is: Do stock chips support NKRO? Assuming they do, would adding diodes to the matrix allow for NKRO or is there more to it that I am missing? If they don't I guess I shall order yet another Teensy ;D
SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Converting KB-5181 to NKRO
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 10:59:31 »
The problem is caused when two switches are pressed causing a third 'ghost' switch to register.  To combat this the firmware may try to be clever and block (e.g.) E when W and D are pressed, adding diodes won't overcome that.

To test out how many keys the controller can handle download Aqua Key Test and press lots of switches at once but all over the board, it will be more than two but may have a random limit.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod