Author Topic: [IC] KAT Space Cadet - Opening April 1st, new Yellow Accents  (Read 66744 times)

Offline tominabox1

[IC] KAT Space Cadet - Opening April 1st, new Yellow Accents
« on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 08:59:31 »
KAT
Space Cadet
formerly Smol Cadet
A 40s Discord Community Project
by tominabox1 and Alas
Inspiration
The iconic Symbolics Space Cadet keyboard.

Details
The keyset will be in the KAT profile by Keyreative. KAT keycaps are PBT plastic, sculpted for comfort and, feature sharp, reverse dyesub legends.  The KAT Space Cadet colors will be color matched to an original Space Cadet keyboard.

The original concept of this set was to create a 40s only kit that would serve our weird-ass idea of a usable keyboard, but we quickly saw the opportunity to bring the amazing Space Cadet concept to a wider audience. Our kits are inspired by the KAT sets that have come before it, emphasizing a wide gamut of coverage, something Keyreative's KAT profile provides at an affordable price. We hope that you find exactly what you need in our kitting and can put together the best coverage you've ever had in a keyset in the lowest possible cost. 
Space Cadet for Everyone.
The Kits
More
Gray Alphas

Blue Alphas

Mono Legends

40s Mods

Ortho Mods

60%+ Mods

Spacebars

Novelties

Accents NEW

Black Mods

Numpad

Colemak, Mod DH/DHm

Dvorak

Ergo Blanks

Ergo Legends

UK ISO

French ISO

North ISO

South ISO

Hyper7
Vendor Info
Coming April 1, 2020.

Matching cables will be available from Spacecables.net during the buy!
KITPRICE (USD)
Gray Alphas$29
Blue Alphas$29
Mono Legends$29
40s Mods$44
Ortho Mods$26
60s+ Mods$59
Spacebars$32
Novelties$30
Black Mods$38
Numpad$19
Colemak$35
Dvorak$29
Ergo Blanks$36
Ergo Legends$49
UK ISO$12
French ISO$25
North ISO $31
South ISO $29
Hyper7$98
Renders by Manzel

Stay tuned here for the latest info!

What can I do to help?
Wear your "KAT Space Cadet" tag on your discord servers and spread the good news!

Last edit: March 13, 2020 - Added yellow kit and updated to final kits
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 March 2020, 21:35:22 by tominabox1 »

Offline factoryofidols

Re: [IC] GMK SmolCadet 40% keyset
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 09:01:55 »
Sounds great I’m in you’re truly an amazing designer... an artist really.

Offline sickbabies

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 09:03:06 »
Very interested. Consider V4 for the blue if we're gonna try and replicate it with stock though

Offline piit79

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 09:05:19 »
Yay, finally something for us "weird" bunch after so many sets neglecting us! Looking forward to the renders. Curious about the colours, the ones on the picture are pretty yucky tbh... Hope they're just distorted on the photo.

Offline sickbabies

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 09:12:17 »
Very interested. Consider V4 for the blue if we're gonna try and replicate it with stock though

Looking at V4 in more lighting I see now how much of a truly talented and wonderful designer you are. I apologise for questioning your authority. Hope no *bullies* show up

Offline Abec13

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 09:15:40 »
doitdoitdoitdoitdoit
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 09:34:40 »
Interest

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 09:40:58 »
yesyesyes
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline Darth_munkee

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 09:45:03 »
Yep, I'm in. Hopefully I can cover split ortho with this too.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 09:45:14 »
Will you be taking feedback?

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 09:47:50 »

Yes of course!

What split ortho are you thinking about that would not be covered by planck compatibility?

Offline tankplanker

• bbc
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 09:48:52 »
I'm in if the compatibility is good.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Offline Darth_munkee

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 10:07:51 »

Yes of course!

What split ortho are you thinking about that would not be covered by planck compatibility?

I realized that you said 40% and Planck/Preonic so it should be good. The ones I'm thinking specifically are the Corne and Iris so as long as there are a couple 1.25U and 2U in the set it should be good.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 10:09:16 »

Not the person who asked this, but it would be nice to see two 1.5u thumb keys for Corne, Atreus and the like. Most ortho kits include these, except when they get combined with 40s.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 10:09:51 »

Yes of course!

I realized that you said 40% and Planck/Preonic so it should be good. The ones I'm thinking specifically are the Corne and Iris so as long as there are a couple 1.25U and 2U in the set it should be good.

Yep, I use a corne too so will be sure to include those

Offline harlekein

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 10:10:24 »

Yes of course!

2u for Iris and 1.5u for Corne/Atreus/? is best fit I think.

Offline ghost990

• Discord: Weston#9472
    • Dean Designs LLC
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 10:15:54 »
Wouldn't this be like basically running a GB for GMK Space Cadet 40bit Kits? Just without the custom colors. But considering the work has already been done, why not just ask Oblotzky to potentially run a GB for just that kit. Although that seems a little counter intuitive to just doing a Round 2.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 10:19:00 »
Why not run this as an Assembly kit, like what Oblotzky does?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 10:21:03 »
Wouldn't this be like basically running a GB for GMK Space Cadet 40bit Kits? Just without the custom colors. But considering the work has already been done, why not just ask Oblotzky to potentially run a GB for just that kit. Although that seems a little counter intuitive to just doing a Round 2.

40s users get a lot of flack for complaining about compat so this is just a way to guarantee we get the compat we want and not put it in the hands of a much wider, and admittedly more numerous majority.

Focus on price and compatibility will be paramount.

Why not run this as an Assembly kit, like what Oblotzky does?

Assembly has a ton of keys unusable by 40s so trying to limit the number of "wasted" keys

Offline ghost990

• Dean Designs LLC
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 10:25:16 »

40s users get a lot of flack for complaining about compat so this is just a way to guarantee we get the compat we want and not put it in the hands of a much wider, and admittedly more numerous majority.

Which I kinda get but still seems like you should just try and convince Oblotzky to do a GMK Space Cadet 40bit Kit Round since it already exists and exactly what you want basically.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 10:30:17 »

Which I kinda get but still seems like you should just try and convince Oblotzky to do a GMK Space Cadet 40bit Kit Round since it already exists and exactly what you want basically.

Yeah I'm not trying to convince a guy who's actively trying to put someone out of business by boycotting keycaps anything.  Doing it this way basically guarantees we get the compat we need.

"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 10:31:58 »

Didn't ask but based on his previous ICs he is not interested in supporting Minivan or minivan-derivatives (of which there are several in the works)

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 10:53:20 »
NOICE
Would be stoked to use this on a few orthos  :thumb:

Offline Willhurt2008

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 11:16:54 »
I'm in definitely. Looking to build my first 40, that set might be the one i pick for it.

Offline ronny boi

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 11:38:35 »
Love the idea! Maybe include numpad for candybar and such?

Offline ghost990

• Dean Designs LLC
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 12:39:04 »

Didn't ask but based on his previous ICs he is not interested in supporting Minivan or minivan-derivatives (of which there are several in the works)

Yeah I'm not trying to convince a guy who's actively trying to put someone out of business by boycotting keycaps anything.  Doing it this way basically guarantees we get the compat we need.

Had to take a look at what you guys were talking about because I was totally unaware. Now understanding what's going on better I can see what you're going for. Good luck I guess, will be interested to see if this pans out.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 12:58:14 »
How do we feel about numpads? Personally think we need to have all 4 operations on the right side in the right profile instead of the "traditional" way of having Div be the same profile as "x"  Thoughts?

Offline Parowozik

Re: [IC] GMK/KAT/??? SmolCadet 40% keyset
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:13:11 »
OMG OMG YES YES giv me that :o

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:15:26 »
OMG OMG YES YES giv me that :o

what exactly are you excited about?  :))

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:22:51 »
If we move forward with KAT, what about an Alpha kit that is just the sublegeneds (no latin alphas)?

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:26:38 »
I'm definitely in the prefer KAT camp, but I want it to stick pretty close to the original.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:38:04 »
Ya know, I wasn't super into Space Cadet when Symbiosis ran, but I keep going back to the closed GB page and poking around at pictures, so maybe I should stop lying to myself about not liking it. I'd be in for a run that supports a certain roomie 4-wheeled vehicle keyboard.

And since this seems to be a less-than-traditional-keyboard friendly thread, I'll ask: any chance for Colevrak support?
Ortho. Always.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:40:19 »
Ya know, I wasn't super into Space Cadet when Symbiosis ran, but I keep going back to the closed GB page and poking around at pictures, so maybe I should stop lying to myself about not liking it. I'd be in for a run that supports a certain roomie 4-wheeled vehicle keyboard.

And since this seems to be a less-than-traditional-keyboard friendly thread, I'll ask: any chance for Colevrak support?

As colemak user myself, I respect the request. I won't say NO unless this does go GMK, if its KAT, well we can pretty much do ANYTHING.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:48:20 »
And I respect the response, even if it doesn't work out. I'd probably get the set regardless tbh, just obviously prefer to have the keycaps reflect their inputs and figured giving input/requests are what ICs are for. Thanks for the consideration!
Ortho. Always.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 15:36:43 »
In for GMK!!! In for Planck compatibility!!! So in!!!

Wish there were romantic numerals and colevrak kits too, but beggars can't be choosers. ;)

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 16:00:16 »

As colemak user myself, I respect the request. I won't say NO unless this does go GMK, if its KAT, well we can pretty much do ANYTHING.
+1 more KAT vote, for this reason entirely

Offline Darth_munkee

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 16:22:48 »
How do we feel about numpads? Personally think we need to have all 4 operations on the right side in the right profile instead of the "traditional" way of having Div be the same profile as "x"  Thoughts?

Personally I feel like a numpad should have a 2u enter key and 0 key at the bottom. Everything else should be 1u. That's just a blanket statement for all numpads. Also I think the KAT would look pretty good for this. Any chance of getting the front side legends too?

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 16:30:31 »

Personally I feel like a numpad should have a 2u enter key and 0 key at the bottom. Everything else should be 1u. That's just a blanket statement for all numpads. Also I think the KAT would look pretty good for this. Any chance of getting the front side legends too?

OK yes, the question is a little confusing for non-40s users: I'm asking for like 4x4 macro pads, do we want a row 4 div symbol or not I guess s you can have a macro pad with legends for all the operations. Does that make more sense?

Offline tominabox1

pretty big update in the OP!

I love the nomenclature of the tkl addons kit. "overcompensation" kit is the most accurate kit this millennium.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
this is coming together nicely!

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
Amazing kitting. This is straight killer.

Maybe offer the numpad as only grey numbers with blue mods? Kit feels a little bloated with two numpads. Also, more ESC keys please. Ortho kit is straight up missing them. If someone wants to do pure ortho they only need an alpha and ortho mod kit which is a killer deal, but it needs at least an r2 and r1 esc key for that to work. Maybe some 1u blanks in ortho kit too, please!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2019, 22:52:19 by Kokaloo »

Offline sickbabies

S C O P E  W I D E N E D

Glad to see this come to fruition and happy to offer help and advice at any moment. Space Cadet best set.

COUNT ME IN FOR A SIGNIFICANT INVESTMENT

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
Starting to look like a 7Bit group buy in terms of kit design :p . Fitting considering the theme. I'll strongly consider it.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Surefoot

More KAT, and awesome colorset, in with the NoDeUK extension too !

Offline harlekein

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 01:44:43 »
If we move forward with KAT, what about an Alpha kit that is just the sublegeneds (no latin alphas)?
Please, I'm begging you make this happen.

As for kit feedback, please make it so ortho kit is a standalone kit instead of supplementing the 40s. This gives me a GMK base + 40s vibe.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2019, 01:57:07 by harlekein »

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
I'd be very down for KAT Space Cadet, but can't say I'm fond of the "40s first" mentality of these kits. That said, I understand it's aimed as a reaction to the "40s last" mentality that's often prevalent.

Personally I think it would make more sense to have separate mod kits, one/two for 40s/ortho (depending on whether you split) and another for larger boards. Expecting users of larger boards to buy the 40s kit and then an addon for that may not be ideal (I understand the irony here, but you've undermined your own point by making it KAT).

I do love the "overcompensation" kit name though.

Nonetheless, I wish this project well, and may join if the kitting goes somewhere I like  ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2019, 02:41:55 by eskimojo »

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
a bit disappointed that this is no longer gmk, but i'll still be in with kat. liking the kit composition rn.
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 07:49:11 »
Please, I'm begging you make this happen.

As for kit feedback, please make it so ortho kit is a standalone kit instead of supplementing the 40s. This gives me a GMK base + 40s vibe.

Have not decided on sublegend only Alpha yet, need to get a form up with some of these bigger inputs.
The Ortho kit is going to get major work so it'll be super great, trust me! :)

I'd be very down for KAT Space Cadet, but can't say I'm fond of the "40s first" mentality of these kits. That said, I understand it's aimed as a reaction to the "40s last" mentality that's often prevalent.

Personally I think it would make more sense to have separate mod kits, one/two for 40s/ortho (depending on whether you split) and another for larger boards. Expecting users of larger boards to buy the 40s kit and then an addon for that may not be ideal (I understand the irony here, but you've undermined your own point by making it KAT).

Nonetheless, I wish this project well, and may join if the kitting goes somewhere I like  ;)

I'll see if there's a better way to build the standard mod kit out better and still do what we're after

Offline alas

The Standard Mods kit was not designed to be a 40s kit. It is a mods kit for most users, and  the 'overcompensation' kit is designed for 65+ boards. If I were to redo the kits in such a way that you only need alphas and overcompensation, you would have many duplicate keys. I'm tweaking the mods kit so that you don't have to buy it and overcompensation for a 60%.