Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 612295 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #550 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 13:19:21 »
Pardon my ignorance. What niche did #! fill?  Any others that fill the same niche?
#! Filled the niche of a simple base install. It is quick to install and allows for instant use, unlike things like arch or gentoo, even if those can be more efficient. I think antergos (my current distro) also fills this void and allows you to use the full power of arch.
Cool. Thanks for the details. I have been playing with arch when I have free moments.

I want to spend more time with coreos when I have a chance as well.  I work with containers quite a bit (started working with them 8 years ago with openvz). Actually, the current implementation of builder.swillkb.com is powered by LXC in order to overcome the single tenant issues of FreeCAD.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #551 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:56:45 »
Crunchbang is just Debian with Openbox is it not.
Basically

It had a few other customizations as well. It came with a bunch of fancy premade pipemenus, a newer version of tint2 than the one found in debian stable repos (no longer true as of jessie going stable), and some other minor theming and usability improvements.

Pardon my ignorance. What niche did #! fill?  Any others that fill the same niche?
#! Filled the niche of a simple base install. It is quick to install and allows for instant use, unlike things like arch or gentoo, even if those can be more efficient. I think antergos (my current distro) also fills this void and allows you to use the full power of arch.

Other distros that are attempting to replace #! are #!++ (Jessie-based), and the BunsenLabs project (in development, compiling a set of scripts that will add a bunch of the crunchbang-related usability improvements and theming to a Jessie netinstall).

I believe Manjaro (arch-based) and Lubuntu also fill similar niches, although with a little more than base openbox.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #552 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 16:26:18 »
Other distros that are attempting to replace #! are #!++ (Jessie-based), and the BunsenLabs project (in development, compiling a set of scripts that will add a bunch of the crunchbang-related usability improvements and theming to a Jessie netinstall).

I believe Manjaro (arch-based) and Lubuntu also fill similar niches, although with a little more than base openbox.
Have you tried manjaro? I tried it once, and it just felt like a worse more clunky version of antergos. This was almost a year ago though.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #553 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 16:33:34 »

Have you tried manjaro? I tried it once, and it just felt like a worse more clunky version of antergos. This was almost a year ago though.

I haven't tried any arch-based distros, no. My listing was just based on distros I've seen mentioned as similar on the crunchbang forums.

I'm more concerned with stability than bleeding-edge software, so debian seems like a better fit for me. I may throw arch on a spare machine sometime just to see how it runs.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #554 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 16:36:09 »

I haven't tried any arch-based distros, no. My listing was just based on distros I've seen mentioned as similar on the crunchbang forums.

I'm more concerned with stability than bleeding-edge software, so debian seems like a better fit for me. I may throw arch on a spare machine sometime just to see how it runs.
People always talk about problems from bleeding edge distros, but they are all I have used and I have had a total of 2 problems over the course of 1 1/2 - 2 ish years.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #555 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 20:33:04 »

IMO the stability trade off is worth it for the bleeding edge nature of arch. literally all one really has to do is read the arch news page before doing a system update and 99.9% of the time you will be fine.

the only problems that might arise are for older hardware; e.g. on my old laptop, broadcom-wl (wireless package) had to be recompiled every time I updated the kernel in Arch, but this was not mentioned on the news page since broadcom-wl is an ancient package. this is where google-fu comes into play.

anyway, sales pitch over haha, i don't want to turn into a crazy arch missionary.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #556 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 21:49:36 »
Lubuntu

Nice lil distro, would choose that over nubuntu failsauce any day.  Can't even set macros without settings being erased constantly.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #557 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 21:51:36 »
Well, Arch is definitely up there on my "to try" list, right after I give #!++ and Bunsen a go.

Offline cheebs

« Reply #558 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 23:29:18 »

Legend has it jedi wizard status is attained through gentoo install stage1 tar ball.

I did this crazy **** once when I was in high school.  Took literally a week to compile.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #559 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 23:51:35 »
Team FreeBSD on the scene.   :cool:

Offline pkircher

« Reply #560 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 01:01:16 »
Cool. Thanks for the details. I have been playing with arch when I have free moments.

I want to spend more time with coreos when I have a chance as well.  I work with containers quite a bit (started working with them 8 years ago with openvz). Actually, the current implementation of builder.swillkb.com is powered by LXC in order to overcome the single tenant issues of FreeCAD.

coreos does rocket (nspawn goodie) , now lxc for multitennants .. thats what i call brave .. well hit me up on freenode #coreos if you stuck somewhere :)

Offline pkircher

« Reply #561 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 01:03:08 »

coreos does rocket (nspawn goodie) or simply docker, now lxc for multitennants .. thats what i call brave .. well hit me up on freenode #coreos if you stuck somewhere :)

Offline NeonBacon

« Reply #562 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 10:24:58 »
Virtualised CentOS on my servers and for now I'm running OSX on my macbook but have been planning to move it over to arch at some point.

Miami JD40
The scarecrows are always watching. Always.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #563 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 12:03:44 »

coreos does rocket (nspawn goodie) , now lxc for multitennants .. thats what i call brave .. well hit me up on freenode #coreos if you stuck somewhere :)

I knew that coreos used systemd, but I did not realize they used any of the nspawn functionality. Do you have a reference where I can learn more about that?  I have been reading a bunch about nspawn recently. I know the container space pretty well and I didn't even know that existed till a couple days ago. Pretty interesting stuff...

To be clear, I am not using LXC for true multitenant functionality (as known in the industry). Basically what I mean is this...

FreeCAD was designed to be used on a single desktop by a single user. I did not realize how poorly some aspects of the software was written until I started trying to create multiple FreeCAD objects at the same time and realized that changes in one could effect the other. Since the builder.swillkb.com is a web based service, I needed to be able to support multiple requests at the same time, which I am referring to as multitenant because the requests should be isolated from each other.

Since I was much too deep into the implementation at that point, I just needed to find a solution to this without rewriting everything.

My solution:
Run a server that handles all of the requests from the clients, let's call it core. On a new 'build' request, I spin up a new instance of basically the same server in an LXC container and wait for this new worker server to come online (6-10 seconds) and then I have the core server offload the build request to this worker. Once the worker finishes the build and uploads the resulting files to an object store, it passes the metadata for the built files back to the core server and then the LXC worker is destroyed. The core server then updates the client with their cad files and completes the request.

Obviously this is totally inefficient and not ideal, but I just needed a solution. This is actually why I am rebuilding the tool from scratch and skipping the cad engine completely and writing a software that can just generate the output files directly. So far it is blazing fast and is looking promising, but I have not implemented the majority of the complexity yet. I will only support 2D drawings with my new tool instead of both 2D and 3D as I currently do. I think it will be worth it when I am done.

Sorry for the essay, I have been stuck in this hospital bed for too long and I am frackin bored.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 June 2015, 12:06:54 by swill »

Offline pkircher

« Reply #564 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 16:19:18 »
basicaly a regular worker model .. as it has been used since ages .. you go straight to lxc or use an orchistrated "fake scheduler" it gets tricky if you want todo that multinode as for your build stuff id look at drone ( its a CI) githubc.om/drone/drone different purpose but that can do builds and create artefacts in containers .. if you want to scale that up .. use that as build plattform via docker to example ( pass in the socket of the host) .. place the build artefact ( the finished file) on a distributed fs .. ceph to example or straight to radowsgw ( its the internal object store of ceph) and just pass the link back .. with that you separat the build and the distribution plane .. in terms of enqueing thats easy as well basicaly what you where doing

as for nspawn / rocket the appcontainer spec is your best bet ..  ( the boys invested alot of time into it )
the core diff between docker / rocket is .. that docker runs as a daemon and rocket does not

the run stages are different ..

rocket "CAN" run mutliple processes in a "container" with different cap's

and .. the container distribution is different as well

docker uses a registry to save off the layerd tarballs to build the rootfs and uses own protocolls for that
rocket uses good old straight http

if you in the hospital .. take the recordings from the coreos fest and consume them all day long

Coreos fest:
https://www.youtube.com/user/coreoslinux/videos

OSDC 2015 videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8nIBEFmjzXjXeJV_hkkeIQ/videos

gabriel had a talk about deis on the coreos fest .. which is a paas and could help you scale your stuff on coreos as for the traffic part,
im a contributor at deis so feel free to ping me ..

i think thats enough content now to get you busy for a few days :)

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 June 2015, 16:26:01 by pkircher »

Offline iri

« Reply #565 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 19:20:09 »
Virtualised CentOS on my servers and for now I'm running OSX on my macbook but have been planning to move it over to arch at some point.
Using Linux on your MacBook is so much better.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #566 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 22:22:12 »
I suspect that battery life will drop significantly. At least that's what I've always seen when using Linux instead of Windows on laptops. Also Apple really doubled down on power efficiency in recent OS versions.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #567 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 22:43:12 »
I suspect that battery life will drop significantly. At least that's what I've always seen when using Linux instead of Windows on laptops. Also Apple really doubled down on power efficiency in recent OS versions.

My experience has always been the opposite actually -- although I haven't done a comparison with Win 7 or higher.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #568 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 00:54:23 »
I wouldn't run linux on my macbook. I like osx trackpad usability too much, battery takes a hit no question, and there's homebrew.  I want another thinkpad for running a lightweight distro, much better suited I think.

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #569 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 01:34:51 »
Depends on which machine I'm on, and what I'm doing-

I frequently use:

FreeBSD
OpenBSD
Mint (with Mate to lighten it up a bit ;)
Kali (I mourn the passing of Backtrack....)
CentOS

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #570 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 02:41:24 »
What do you run openbsd on,  and what do you use it for just curious.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #571 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 02:53:13 »
Would Crunchbang be a good distro to start of on Linux?

I had few classes of Unix/Linux so I got the basics, but I never used it on my personnal machines.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #572 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 03:52:57 »
I'm on Debian and I consider giving Nix a try... Nix and NixOS both seem very interesting.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #573 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 04:20:05 »

I had few classes of Unix/Linux so I got the basics, but I never used it on my personnal machines.

It depends on your commitment level, if you just want an OS to chill around and for it to work out of the box, id go with mint. If you really want to learn how things are structured and get a full understanding. id go with debian network install, or arch(by far the best wiki of the distros). Cant speak for crunchbang. But try going to distrowatch.com to check what distro suits you.

Offline iri

« Reply #574 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 07:07:17 »
I suspect that battery life will drop significantly.
nope.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #575 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 07:12:41 »
I suspect that battery life will drop significantly.
nope.

you will get a significantly shorter batterylife IF you do not fix necessary tools in order to swtich between cpu and gpu graphics, automatic screen brightness etc. I installed arch on my macbooks. After fixing a bunch of tools i still had issues with battery life. Even though i made it significantly better. Also had alot of problems with wifi drivers at that time it would drop from time to time. 

Offline iri

« Reply #576 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 07:28:19 »
I am using mint though, not arch.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline pkircher

« Reply #577 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 07:41:57 »
mac osx has special battery opimisation backend in, nothing todo with the regluar cpu/gpu switching ..

so yes the battery will drop signif. faster on linux vs on macosx on ANY macbook

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #578 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 07:50:37 »
mac osx has special battery opimisation backend in, nothing todo with the regluar cpu/gpu switching ..

so yes the battery will drop signif. faster on linux vs on macosx on ANY macbook

In my case running the amd graphics card all the time instead of using built in graphics in the intel processor led to alot more power consumption. So it has very much to do with it..

Offline pkircher

« Reply #579 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 09:49:33 »
try to compare macosx on a mac to linux on a mac and compare the batterie life .. your statement is rather unsolicited if you drain your power for no reasion of coures it will be faster depleated, yet there is a major difference how macosx does powermanagement on a mac vs how linux handles it .

make statements if you know what you talk about .. else its sometimes better to keep the fingers still and say nothing at all ..

no hard feelings , yet apple invested alot in better battery management special for there own hardware ..

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #580 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:09:48 »

BSD, Solaris, and variants are typically used to run network infrastructure. I don't know why anyone would use it for a "desktop" OS unless it's a new trend.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #581 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:14:32 »

BSD, Solaris, and variants are typically used to run network infrastructure. I don't know why anyone would use it for a "desktop" OS unless it's a new trend.

I used Solaris with CDE on a Sun SparcStation, but that was a different life...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #582 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:15:23 »
apple invested alot in better battery management special for there own hardware ..

...hardware. Most of the efficiency can be attributed to the optimized hardware (ie. under-powered processors...). I haven't run any real tests but through anecdotal evidence I have noticed little difference between the battery life when running Linux vs BSD (OSX) on Macs.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #583 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:16:37 »

Yes, that was many moons ago for sure. ;)  ...but today...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #584 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:19:12 »
...although OSX is technically a BSD variant...So...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #585 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:22:58 »

Yes, that was many moons ago for sure. ;)  ...but today...

I miss VMS, too. But I doubt there are many VAX servers still in operation today. :P
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #586 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:40:26 »

Crunchbang is a good distro, but it's no longer supported; it's still usable, but it takes a bit of work to point it at somewhere to let it actually get security updates. You could try !#++ or BunsenLabs, they're both based on the same ideas.

I found both Crunchbang and Linux Mint to be nice and friendly for transitioning to a full time linux base.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #587 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:42:56 »
Thanks.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #588 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:43:20 »
I used to have a free OpenVMS account, but it looks like the site is down. Here is another VMS site: http://deathrow.vistech.net/

VMS was truly revolutionary. Hardware clustering and "cloud" computing way ahead of it's time.

...one of our clients was hosting some of their databases on VMS Alpha servers until they switch to one of our x86 clusters a few years ago...
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:47:07 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #589 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 11:21:18 »
try to compare macosx on a mac to linux on a mac and compare the batterie life .. your statement is rather unsolicited if you drain your power for no reasion of coures it will be faster depleated, yet there is a major difference how macosx does powermanagement on a mac vs how linux handles it .

make statements if you know what you talk about .. else its sometimes better to keep the fingers still and say nothing at all ..

no hard feelings , yet apple invested alot in better battery management special for there own hardware ..

Ok,

Iri states you dont loose battery life when installing linux on a macbook, i beg to differ and lay out some examples, then you show up and say im wrong, it seems more like you did not read the quotes properly. and misunderstood me.

Everything you are saying is right. Im fully aware. I know apple invested alot in the power management, i know it works better in oxs than in linux that  was my point. i also said there are tools which you can use to make the battery life better by using some power mangaement tools in linux, but it will not be the same as under osx. Please dont splurge insults out without a second thought.

Offline iri

« Reply #590 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 12:00:25 »
Great advice. Works for me all the time.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #591 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 12:23:47 »
Great advice. Works for me all the time.

I lolled

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #592 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 14:25:00 »
i also said there are tools which you can use to make the battery life better by using some power mangaement tools in linux, but it will not be the same as under osx.

laptop-mode-tools... *shudder*

I wonder how much of the difference is due to the hardware of the battery itself as well?

Offline iri

« Reply #593 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 16:57:56 »
Changing os doesn't change the battery hardware, I was once told.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #594 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 17:01:02 »
Changing os doesn't change the battery hardware, I was once told.

I was referring to different batteries as well, i.e. OSX on Mac, Linux on a fairly equivalent Dell, say.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #595 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 18:44:23 »

I was asking dude what's his machine and application. I used to wanna build a PF box, but OpenBSD is suprisingly good on laptops too.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #596 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 18:51:22 »

I was asking dude what's his machine and application. I used to wanna build a PF box, but OpenBSD is suprisingly good on laptops too.

So? ;) PF boxes are great. I love pfSense.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #597 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 18:58:48 »
...although OSX is technically a BSD variant...So...

People say that but its like... BSD userland & networking, franken Mach thing, the rest is basically Apple.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #598 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 19:00:47 »
It's definitely not stock BSD. Heavily modified.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #599 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 19:03:50 »
It's got what Apple calls a hybrid micro kernel whatever that means.