Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 612566 times)

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #650 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 10:32:27 »
VMware? That's the company sued for allegedly violating GNU GPL? No, without thanks.

RMS, is that you? :p
I have basic understanding why Linux has been successful (hint: GNU GPLv2), I'm not ignorant to ethical issues, and I'm not a shill. This apparently isn't true for everyone in this thread.

I really can't believe that you are calling me a stupid, amoral, shill. You are a real douche. I don't work for VMware. I've been in the hosting business for a while now and it's the standard for a reason...it's easy to use and it "just works".
SSKs for everyone!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #651 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 10:53:22 »
1. That has nothing to do with virtualization. If you have hd/fs problems then you will have problems with your host machine as well.
My point is that if one drive fails, you still have a running drive. If you're doing windows updates and have a power failure, that can potentially bork up the install. With a dual boot system, I can boot into my second OS and carry on until I've fixed the Windows error. If my second OS is virtualized, I need to invest the time to fix the host boot drive before I can continue doing any work on that machine. Yes not directly related, but I would say still applicable.

2. Not an issue for modern machines.
I agree, however not all of us are blessed with modern machines. My newest x86 hardware is a 2-3 year old laptop, my newest desktop hardware (core system) is at least 6 years old at this point. It still does what I need it to do, so I don't see a need to upgrade. Many others are in the same situation, either for financial reasons or for simply wanting to run hardware into the ground. Much cheaper to pick up a second disk for dual boot than to execute an entire platform upgrade. Definitely cheaper to pick up a disk for dual boot than to pay for VMware.

I would also say how much of an issue the overhead is depends on how much you're trying to do in the VM. If you're editing high-resolution photos, applying image transformations and filters, you may need all the memory you can get. Additional overhead might not be acceptable in that situation.

3. What? Managing  VMs is as easy as managing tabs in a browser.
Once the setup has been completed, I agree. Determining allocation of resources, installing virtualization tools, etc. is a little more complicated than hitting the new tab button. Your response does not address my concerns regarding hardware passthrough.

4. True. If you are a serious gamer you definitely need to have a native install of Windows. Now there have been some really good improvements in graphics support with WMware in the last year or two. So, if you are a more casual gamer then you will probably be happy with a Windows VM if you use VMware Workstation on a modern PC with a fairly recent graphics card.
That may be true. I concede that improvements may make casual gaming possible using VMware possible. At that point, it would be a decision between the ~30 seconds less of gaming per session (for a casual gamer, probably only a few times a month) versus the initial financial investment into virtualization software.

5. True (if you don't have another PC with your old OS close by ;))
It makes a difference to me even when I have another machine with the old OS on my desk. I'm already using this machine, I may as well continue to use it. I concede that it may not be as simple for some people or personality types.

The main things I love about virtualization are the ability to test and the ability to restore and migrate machines to different hardware and software platforms. You also have the ability to have separate machines for specific tasks or for running software that is no longer supported. There are tons of reasons to run VMs.
These are definitely good reasons, some of which I mentioned in my previous post. However, several of these concepts go beyond the concept of simply replacing a dual boot environment and confound the issue. I do not deny that virtualization has its benefits, I am simply arguing that virtualization is not superior in all cases to a dual-boot environment. These particular advantages can apply to a dual boot environment as well, perhaps even using the same virtual machines on both hosts. Granted, if one is splitting every task into a VM, there would not be need for a dual-boot environment.

The biggest problem I see people run into when they try virtualization is that they want to use a free hypervisor like Virtualbox or KVM and there is huge difference between those and VMware. I've tried them all and they just don't compare. If you do want to try it out do yourself a favor and use VMware Workstation or Fusion.
The main draw of Linux for a casual user, in my experience, is based on two factors. The first factor is that it is an alternative to Windows that can be legally installed on their current PC, regardless of age or hardware limitations. The second factor is that it is a free alternative. Paying for virtualization software is significantly more expensive than a second hard drive (cheap SSDs can be found in the $50 range, as can 1TB HDDs), which could have use even if the user decides they don't like the other OS. It's also possible that one might have a HDD left over from an old system that they could use for free. Previewing posts tells me that this concern has already been addressed by some, but I will leave this response for completness' sake.

If you want a thread discussing virtualization, it's easy enough to start one of your own. This sort of discussion might be better suited for such a thread, the primary purpose of this thread is to discuss linux setups in general, rather than dual-boot setups.

VMware? That's the company sued for allegedly violating GNU GPL? No, without thanks.

RMS, is that you? :p
I have basic understanding why Linux has been successful (hint: GNU GPLv2), I'm not ignorant to ethical issues, and I'm not a shill. This apparently isn't true for everyone in this thread.

I really can't believe that you are calling me a stupid, amoral, shill. You are a real douche. I don't work for VMware. I've been in the hosting business for a while now and it's the standard for a reason...it's easy to use and it "just works".

Let's all watch the personal attacks, hm? No need for throwing names around.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #652 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 11:09:19 »
If davkol's reply wasn't a personal attack, and totally uncalled for, then I don't know what is. It's not like I'm new around here.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #653 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 11:12:58 »
If davkol's reply wasn't a personal attack, and totally uncalled for, then I don't know what is. It's not like I'm new around here.

That was directed to the both of you. If you feel you've been attacked, there's no need to respond in the same fashion.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #654 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 11:20:10 »
This virtualisation thing is sounding rather intriguing.  I played around with it years ago using the free version of VMWare which wasn't supposed to support installing OSes but if you edited some text files you could.  I installed Windows in it under Linux to reverse engineer a USB driver.

Usually I just try an OS/distro on my main system and when it inevitably goes wrong I move on to the next, but perhaps I should try and make a stable install and experiment virtually.  No need for games so I'm sure an open source alternative would be quite capable of running a second OS even on my ageing desktop (i7 2600k with 16gb)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #655 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 16:22:48 »

My point is that if one drive fails, you still have a running drive.
With a dual boot system, I can boot into my second OS and carry on until I've fixed the Windows error.

The second factor is that it is a free alternative.

a second hard drive (cheap SSDs can be found in the $50 range, as can 1TB HDDs), which could have use

It's also possible that one might have a HDD left over from an old system that they could use for free.

For me, as a beginner, these were factors.

I would love to move away from Microsoft to free and open source software, eventually. I use LibreOffice almost exclusively now, and I am solid enough in Gimp that I did not even re-install Photoshop Elements after my last format/re-install.

And I have a pile of old small-ish hard drives sitting around.

One secondary, but important, consideration is the possibility of a virus or malware attack on my Windows install.
With an alternate OS, I can probably find a side door or back door that may let me fix something.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #656 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 22:31:17 »
There's been too many replies to comments above, but my input is as follows.

I've been using VirtualBox for a while on both Windows and Mac hosts.  I virtualise Windows, Linux and BSD guests.  Windows and Linux guests have "guest additions" which are basically a bunch of drivers provided by Oracle to install in VirtualBox guests to allow mouse/keyboard sharing, clipboard sharing, USB pass-through, better video support, experimental DirectX support (or something like that, I've only tried it once with Windows 7 to get Aero working).  No such drivers for BSD (FreeBSD/NetBSD), so most of those features are missing, which didn't bother me.

If you virtualise only what you need to, then the VM image doesn't need to be that big.  One huge benefit is that you can backup the VM image, and restore/import it onto a different host and just continue from when the VM was backupped.  You don't have driver issues in the virtual guest (which is a huge problem on Windows).  The only potential problem is whether the VM software allows you to create a backup of a running VM.

At work we are moving to a virtualised solution.  We have acquired a couple of fairly decent servers, and are getting a NAS.  Both servers have duel drives in RAID 1 for the host OS, which will be XenServer.  The VM images will live on the NA, which will have 4 drives in RAID 10.  XenServer allows you to create a snapshot of a running VM, and then create a VM template based on a snapshot, so at any time you can create a new VM based on that template.  XenServer supports live migration, where a running VM can be migrated to another XenServer host in the same pool with no outage.  It also supports load balancing, but only in the paid version (we are starting off with the free version).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #657 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 22:59:33 »
What do you run openbsd on,  and what do you use it for just curious.

I've got it running on an ESXi box - and I'm using it for some dev/testing...

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #658 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:04:09 »
Would Crunchbang be a good distro to start of on Linux?

I had few classes of Unix/Linux so I got the basics, but I never used it on my personnal machines.

Think of #! as sort of a minimalist distro- but last word was that dev on it was going to stop (ie the project was dying)- I think I remember reading about a fork of the project, but last I heard it's gone...too bad...

Depends on what you want to do with your distro-  If you want ease of use and out of the box functionality, give Mint with a lightweight WM a try-  If you are looking for a security based distro (ala pentest) then give Kali a try.  If you want good visuals, Elementary has some great devs behind it...

For real fun, set up a virtualized environment, and give the top 10 distros over at distro watch a spin (skipping all the Ubuntu variants for variety...) 

And if you're in for the long haul, do the work and learn to build Arch properly.  That's actually a good investment of your time if you want to learn more about how Linux works.  Or go all out and just do a roll your own (several guides online)

Enjoy.

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #659 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:07:15 »

BSD, Solaris, and variants are typically used to run network infrastructure. I don't know why anyone would use it for a "desktop" OS unless it's a new trend.

Not always the case.  OpenBSD is one of the most secure OSes out of the box, and many people run FreeBSD as a desktop-  to the point there are even variants now for ease of install, like PCBSD and Firefly...

If you are doing network 'development' the stacks on BSD are generally superior.  Run masscan on a BSD box ;)

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #660 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:08:15 »
I did some of my first hacking/exploring on a VAX.  We used to use the VAX to keep warm in the winter ;)

Those were the days...

BSD, Solaris, and variants are typically used to run network infrastructure. I don't know why anyone would use it for a "desktop" OS unless it's a new trend.

I used Solaris with CDE on a Sun SparcStation, but that was a different life...

Yes, that was many moons ago for sure. ;)  ...but today...

I miss VMS, too. But I doubt there are many VAX servers still in operation today. :P

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #661 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:09:24 »
Technically it's a hybrid.  Mach kernel.  It's more like a Frankenstein OS, with different parts sewn together, and given life :)

I used Solaris with CDE on a Sun SparcStation, but that was a different life...

Yes, that was many moons ago for sure. ;)  ...but today...

I miss VMS, too. But I doubt there are many VAX servers still in operation today. :P

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #662 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:13:17 »
Were you able to successfully install VMware tools, pwnnarwhal? I've had problems before dong that sometimes.

This can be an issue depending on the system. ..if you are on a Linux system, there are open source VMware tools now, heck VMWare even suggests you install them when you go to install via their environment....

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #663 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:18:22 »
Sorry for all the replies, was trying to catch up with the tread, and was responding as I was reading...

Interesting to see some of the thoughts about virtualization here-

A few comments- 

You can get VMWare player for free.  Many distros offer a pre-packaged VM of their os.

You can get VirtualBox for free.

It's a great way to do testing/development, and if you're at all interested in certain kinds of research it's essential.

More of the world is virtualized than you realize. 

If anyone has any issues trying out playing with VMs I'm happy to help.

(For real fun: Take a host machine, run a VM inside of it, and run another VM inside of that.  Talk about Inception! :)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #664 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:21:49 »

I had few classes of Unix/Linux so I got the basics, but I never used it on my personnal machines.

Think of #! as sort of a minimalist distro- but last word was that dev on it was going to stop (ie the project was dying)- I think I remember reading about a fork of the project, but last I heard it's gone...too bad...

#! is meant was a minimal yet fully-featured distro. Lightweight, but with all of the programs its maintainer felt were required for a production-ready system.

#! itself is no longer being maintained, but multiple projects are attempting to continue in the same vein. Take a look at #!++ and BunsenLabs if you're interested in the niche #! used to fill.

The rest of your advice looks to be pretty solid.

I've been using VirtualBox for a while on both Windows and Mac hosts.  I virtualise Windows, Linux and BSD guests.  Windows and Linux guests have "guest additions" which are basically a bunch of drivers provided by Oracle to install in VirtualBox guests to allow mouse/keyboard sharing, clipboard sharing, USB pass-through, better video support, experimental DirectX support (or something like that, I've only tried it once with Windows 7 to get Aero working).  No such drivers for BSD (FreeBSD/NetBSD), so most of those features are missing, which didn't bother me.

If you virtualise only what you need to, then the VM image doesn't need to be that big.  One huge benefit is that you can backup the VM image, and restore/import it onto a different host and just continue from when the VM was backupped.  You don't have driver issues in the virtual guest (which is a huge problem on Windows).  The only potential problem is whether the VM software allows you to create a backup of a running VM.

At work we are moving to a virtualised solution.  We have acquired a couple of fairly decent servers, and are getting a NAS.  Both servers have duel drives in RAID 1 for the host OS, which will be XenServer.  The VM images will live on the NA, which will have 4 drives in RAID 10.  XenServer allows you to create a snapshot of a running VM, and then create a VM template based on a snapshot, so at any time you can create a new VM based on that template.  XenServer supports live migration, where a running VM can be migrated to another XenServer host in the same pool with no outage.  It also supports load balancing, but only in the paid version (we are starting off with the free version).

VirtualBox is what I've used most for virtualization. I have no severe complaints about it. Guest additions are definitely a huge benefit. It's always served me well for playing with things, testing release previews, etc. In my experience, it hasn't been as snappy as running the same OS on the hardware directly, but that probably has more to do with reduced resources than the software itself.

That sounds like a very intriguing setup. I assume it would be used for testing and development work that will benefit from everyone in the team having access to the same snapshots. I'd be interested in hearing how well XenServer is working for you, once you have a bit more experience with it.

Side note -- I can't look at 'Xen' without thinking about Half-Life.

Sorry for all the replies, was trying to catch up with the tread, and was responding as I was reading...

In future, you can edit your post rather than posting 7x in a row. If you see multiple posts you want to respond to, hit the multiquote button on each, and the regular quote on the last post you wish to reply to, you should be able to quote them all in the same reply.

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #665 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:30:02 »

#! is meant was a minimal yet fully-featured distro. Lightweight, but with all of the programs its maintainer felt were required for a production-ready system.

#! itself is no longer being maintained, but multiple projects are attempting to continue in the same vein. Take a look at #!++ and BunsenLabs if you're interested in the niche #! used to fill.

The rest of your advice looks to be pretty solid.

VirtualBox is what I've used most for virtualization. I have no severe complaints about it. Guest additions are definitely a huge benefit. It's always served me well for playing with things, testing release previews, etc. In my experience, it hasn't been as snappy as running the same OS on the hardware directly, but that probably has more to do with reduced resources than the software itself.

That sounds like a very intriguing setup. I assume it would be used for testing and development work that will benefit from everyone in the team having access to the same snapshots. I'd be interested in hearing how well XenServer is working for you, once you have a bit more experience with it.

In future, you can edit your post rather than posting 7x in a row. If you see multiple posts you want to respond to, hit the multiquote button on each, and the regular quote on the last post you wish to reply to, you should be able to quote them all in the same reply.

No problem.  Sorry about that (I know better)- Just enjoy the topic.

#! was from the UK was it not?  I ran it for a while.  I enjoyed it. 

I think there's an ArchBang now...

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #666 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:36:25 »

No problem.  Sorry about that (I know better)- Just enjoy the topic.

#! was from the UK was it not?  I ran it for a while.  I enjoyed it. 

I think there's an ArchBang now...

#! was the work of Phillip Newborough, AKA Corenominal. Not sure where he's from in particular, but perhaps Google would know. I always thought it was impressive that he maintained the distro all by himself, even if it was drawing heavily from Debian. I think part of the reason he stopped maintaining #! was because he wasn't using it himself anymore, and it must be an awful lot of effort to maintain everything on your own like that.

I think there's a couple Arch-based distros in the same vein as well, I only know of #!++ because #!'s dev posted about it, and BunsenLabs because it's being built by the #! forum community.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #667 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 00:24:18 »

Haven't got that far yet.  The servers have been delivered, and the two delivery boxes are currently sitting in the office.

Not sure if anyone has ordered the NAS yet - there was some confusion over who was going to order it and from where.

The idea is to replace 4 somewhat underutilised physical servers with the 2 new servers, virtualising the services in the process.

Then to use additional capacity on the servers for R&D purposes.

Maybe eventually to virtualise the developers' workstations, but at the moment most of us use Windows, and the licencing requirements to run that in a VM are silly, to say the least.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline RedRoboHood

« Reply #668 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 17:26:16 »
I installed Ubuntu today, and everything works perfectly! I know, it's a small victory, but hey, I'm excited. I'm enjoying Linux already. :)

Offline Vizir

« Reply #669 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 08:20:42 »
Linux Mint on my workstations. Mix of RedHat Enterprise and CentOS servers.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #670 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 08:48:44 »
I installed Ubuntu today, and everything works perfectly! I know, it's a small victory, but hey, I'm excited. I'm enjoying Linux already. :)

This is really the point of Ubuntu. It just works, pretty much every time. People can disparage it all they want for being a corporate distro, but IMO Canonical has done more to spread Linux to the desktop than anyone else.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #671 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 14:20:30 »
The only real complaint I ever had with Ubuntu was Unity and later the adware. That's why I switched to Linux Mint as it was an improved version of Ubuntu without the ugly interface. People complained about Metro on Win8 but I thought Unity was much worse.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #672 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 14:26:38 »
The only real complaint I ever had with Ubuntu was Unity and later the adware. That's why I switched to Linux Mint as it was an improved version of Ubuntu without the ugly interface. People complained about Metro on Win8 but I thought Unity was much worse.

Unity is not great, but then you don't have to use it. With Win 8, Metro is forced on you, and to a lesser extent in Win 8.1. But with Ubuntu, you can always install Gnome, Gnome Flashback, KDE, XFCE, or whatever you like. Having an underlying system that works 100% at install is great. By extension, Mint would also be great, as it's based on Ubuntu (or Debian).

I really think Canonical looked at the popularity of netbooks at the time as a sign on things to come, and designed the Unity UI to work with netbooks. Enter the iPad, and netbooks are all but dead.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline nephiel

« Reply #673 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 14:45:15 »
Custom #!-gone-debian here. I like my OS lightweight and snappy.

Sadly, most distros today come by default with stuff that 1) I don't really need and 2) tends to cause more trouble than it's worth: unity, pulseaudio, systemd...
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline iri

« Reply #674 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 06:46:01 »
IMO Canonical has done more to spread Linux to the desktop than anyone else.
Now it's their time to step aside :p

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline godly_music

« Reply #675 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 13:10:47 »
Manjaro (OpenRC spin), Gentoo (OpenRC), Void (runit) and Slackware are 4 alternatives to systemd distros. I don't think any of the other alternatives are quite as functional right now. Void is the freshest one of those and comes with a very attractive set of perks, so I'm gonna try that one next.

Offline iri

« Reply #676 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 14:19:32 »
Manjaro (OpenRC spin), Gentoo (OpenRC), Void (runit) and Slackware are 4 alternatives to systemd distros. I don't think any of the other alternatives are quite as functional right now.
why are you ruling out PCLinuxOS?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline godly_music

« Reply #677 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 15:25:46 »
I just never looked at it, TBH. Looks like a user-friendly alternative. Not sure if I'd go back to an 'easy desktop' distro after I've enjoyed a lean Arch install on my old laptop, but it's good to know that beginners can still get there without the systemd stank.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #678 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 17:45:13 »
right now I'm experimenting with windows 10 preview and KolibriOS on my test laptop (neither of which is linux, but its' quite the diverse combination!). mint XFCE on one of my "main" computers since !# support was dropped. I have probably used !# more than any other distro, for about 2 years. I wasn't aware of bunsen and !#++ until user18 told me, I will probably switch to one of those once they become more concrete.

Offline Stargorn

« Reply #679 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 18:26:05 »
I'm using Linux mint but have been working up the courage to try arch for a while. While I love mint, I love the idea of building from the ground up more.

1987 IBM Model M (1391401),  Apple M0110A (Mitsumi Type 1),  Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (White Monterey),  Ducky Mini YoTH (MX Reds),  Ducky Zero TKL (MX Blues)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #680 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 21:37:41 »
Arch is not difficult at all. Time consuming to setup, maybe, but not difficult. Just follow the instructions and you're golden. And since you install everything, you know what is installed, why it's installed, and what it does. And how to remove it if you don't need or want it.

Sometimes it is just easier to have someone else make those install time decisions for you, and that's why you have your simple but bloated popular distros.

in memoriam

Offline Vizir

« Reply #681 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 22:11:37 »
Arch is not difficult at all. Time consuming to setup, maybe, but not difficult. Just follow the instructions and you're golden. And since you install everything, you know what is installed, why it's installed, and what it does. And how to remove it if you don't need or want it.

Sometimes it is just easier to have someone else make those install time decisions for you, and that's why you have your simple but bloated popular distros.
Pretty much. Everything from Windows to MenuetOS. What I mean is, you have everything from every possible hardware and software combination to the absolute minimalist hardware/software combination!

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #682 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 22:35:17 »
I'm using Linux mint but have been working up the courage to try arch for a while. While I love mint, I love the idea of building from the ground up more.

I think a lot of the stigma of the "difficulty" of arch is that some of its more prominent/outspoken members can be real elitist *******s. this is definitely a minority, in my experience, but they do pop up now and  then.

just fire up a VM, practice in there, and use the arch wiki. I almost never have to post on the forums anymore. what really makes arch amazing, to me, is its package manager - fast, written in C, and by a Canadian to boot.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #683 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 23:47:58 »

I think a lot of the stigma of the "difficulty" of arch is that some of its more prominent/outspoken members can be real elitist *******s. this is definitely a minority, in my experience, but they do pop up now and  then.

just fire up a VM, practice in there, and use the arch wiki. I almost never have to post on the forums anymore. what really makes arch amazing, to me, is its package manager - fast, written in C, and by a Canadian to boot.

Arch wiki is beautiful no matter what distro you're using, really. Ton of good info there.

Arch is also somewhat intimidating because it starts you with a command line and nothing else. Someone reasonably comfortable with another distro and using the terminal already shouldn't be put off by that too much, but I'd still call it a factor.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #684 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 00:39:26 »

Arch wiki is beautiful no matter what distro you're using, really. Ton of good info there.

Arch is also somewhat intimidating because it starts you with a command line and nothing else. Someone reasonably comfortable with another distro and using the terminal already shouldn't be put off by that too much, but I'd still call it a factor.

I found Arch mostly fine, but because I wanted something up and running quickly, I simply did not have the time to read all of the necessary reference material.

But for those that do have the time - it is great!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #685 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 02:43:04 »
I like the prospect of Arch and I'm good in the Debian based terminals, but I've not worked up the desire to try to actually use Arch. Typically I don't keep Linux installed long enough to make it worth my time, though I do want to try it out someday. I typically program in Windows and I get a lot of crap for it from others who think OSX is the best, but I use Cygwin which is a great alternative to an entirely different OS. I just want something that works without having to deal with multibooting.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #686 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 03:04:13 »
I like the prospect of Arch and I'm good in the Debian based terminals, but I've not worked up the desire to try to actually use Arch. Typically I don't keep Linux installed long enough to make it worth my time, though I do want to try it out someday. I typically program in Windows and I get a lot of crap for it from others who think OSX is the best, but I use Cygwin which is a great alternative to an entirely different OS. I just want something that works without having to deal with multibooting.

You sound like an archer. ;) Why do you choose to stay in windows? Ive been coding in all three oses you have mentioned. Depending on what you are coding(if not x platform stuff, or visual studio) nix is by far the smoothest.

I prefer using VIM for most of my coding(everything except java). i do some java in IntelliJ. The rest of the stuff invloved in programming like version control, building etc are done in the terminal when youve done this a couple of times you get more effective, more so than clicking around in version control guis and click builders. You learn how to use buildflags in proper ways and so on.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #687 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 03:42:11 »
You sound like an archer. ;) Why do you choose to stay in windows? Ive been coding in all three oses you have mentioned. Depending on what you are coding(if not x platform stuff, or visual studio) nix is by far the smoothest.

I prefer using VIM for most of my coding(everything except java). i do some java in IntelliJ. The rest of the stuff invloved in programming like version control, building etc are done in the terminal when youve done this a couple of times you get more effective, more so than clicking around in version control guis and click builders. You learn how to use buildflags in proper ways and so on.

Well I do most of my coding on my laptop which is running Win8. I have three disks, a 16GB SSD,  500GB HDD, and 250GB HDD. I can't normally see the SSD because of the way Win8 is setup as my laptop cold boots to the login screen in about 8 seconds or so. I don't want to mess with dual/multiboot in that sense.

I also work IT so I have to be able to do things in Windows and I'd prefer to stay on my laptop than switching back and forth to the all in one at the helpdesk. Also whenever there is downtime I game on Steam and not enough games are on Linux yet. I also use OneDrive for all of my documents and such, which isn't all that good for Linux. Overall, I think it is a good prospect, but it just doesn't work for me currently.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #688 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 03:51:30 »
Manjaro (OpenRC spin), Gentoo (OpenRC), Void (runit) and Slackware are 4 alternatives to systemd distros. I don't think any of the other alternatives are quite as functional right now. Void is the freshest one of those and comes with a very attractive set of perks, so I'm gonna try that one next.

void is awesome. runit is awesome! if you've used arch + aur you will probably not have a hard time getting used to void, but there aren't a ton of packages right now.
i just switched my work machine from debian wheezy to void and so far i really like it.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #689 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 03:57:08 »
Anybody tried NixOS?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #690 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 04:10:33 »
i haven't tried it but i have a friend that likes it. neat idea for spinning up quick VMs to do dirty work :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #691 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 04:32:55 »
i haven't tried it but i have a friend that likes it. neat idea for spinning up quick VMs to do dirty work :)
I guess you're right :))

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #692 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 05:56:09 »

Well I do most of my coding on my laptop which is running Win8. I have three disks, a 16GB SSD,  500GB HDD, and 250GB HDD. I can't normally see the SSD because of the way Win8 is setup as my laptop cold boots to the login screen in about 8 seconds or so. I don't want to mess with dual/multiboot in that sense.

I also work IT so I have to be able to do things in Windows and I'd prefer to stay on my laptop than switching back and forth to the all in one at the helpdesk. Also whenever there is downtime I game on Steam and not enough games are on Linux yet. I also use OneDrive for all of my documents and such, which isn't all that good for Linux. Overall, I think it is a good prospect, but it just doesn't work for me currently.

THen you have  agreat oppurtunity to virtulaize. Im in the same situation at work. I need windows in order to get into the VPN. The host checker forces windows and windows encryption. SO i got a laptop with 32 gb ram :) have a running VM with ARCH

Offline osi

« Reply #693 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 06:05:34 »

STH IS BACK????

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #694 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 06:12:37 »

STH IS BACK????

osi has 1000 posts? :confused:

Offline osi

« Reply #695 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 06:19:12 »

STH IS BACK????

osi has 1000 posts? :confused:

:D :D

Offline thefebruaryman

• turn it off and turn it on again
« Reply #696 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 12:59:11 »
Just a shout out to those that talked about ARCH, never tried it before and have fallen for it. Awesome distro. Cheers all

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #697 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 15:16:23 »
Just a shout out to those that talked about ARCH, never tried it before and have fallen for it. Awesome distro. Cheers all
Welcome, bruh :cool:

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #698 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 15:22:14 »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #699 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 15:23:04 »

STH IS BACK????

i've been creepin around :)

like a :llama: