Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 612929 times)

Offline geekhack360

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #800 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:05:42 »
I use xubuntu.

Offline S1llyC0ne

« Reply #801 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 12:00:37 »
I use xfce-flavoured Manjaro Linux on my laptop after a few years on Ubuntu.
I've been happily surprised with the speed and I also gained on the battery life side.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #802 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 12:07:30 »
I'm very happy with Linux Mint running KDE.  Previously I had Cinnamon but I found it to be too unstable - it would freeze, crash, and generally cause headaches.  I'd consider going to Arch in the future though.

Arch now.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 April 2016, 17:17:29 by cryptokey »
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #803 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 12:19:47 »
Linux plebs. BSD is the only true way.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #804 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 19:49:33 »

Which BSD?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #805 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 21:25:16 »

My network runs BSD, but that's it.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #806 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 07:55:43 »

the only true way to what?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #807 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 11:07:42 »
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #808 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 21:30:10 »
Just jumped on the Linux bandwagon.  After trying out a few distros, I went with Kubuntu.  I'm a fan of the KDE interface. 

And do I need to switch to BSD if I wish to become a bigger nerd?  Please, I need to know.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jaffers

« Reply #809 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 21:44:21 »
Laptop: Manjaro (i3)/OSX
BIG PC: Wangblows 8/majaro (kde)
Small PC/Server/Build Testing/OthercrapPC: Everything
Elite HAXOR USB: suse studio made Os with 1337 tools

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #810 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 23:10:25 »
Just jumped on the Linux bandwagon.  After trying out a few distros, I went with Kubuntu.  I'm a fan of the KDE interface. 

And do I need to switch to BSD if I wish to become a bigger nerd?  Please, I need to know.

Not really, no.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #811 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 01:47:58 »

Not really, no.

But please at least switch away from Kubuntu at least, even if its only to like normal ubuntu or mint, just not Kubuntu. It's unfortunately been really broken as of late. You can still use KDE with other distros.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #812 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 01:50:29 »

Not really, no.

But please at least switch away from Kubuntu at least, even if its only to like normal ubuntu or mint, just not Kubuntu. It's unfortunately been really broken as of late. You can still use KDE with other distros.

Kubuntu was dropped from the official Ubuntu derivatives at one stage - then re-added.

Did I hear that it was dropped again?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jaffers

« Reply #813 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 01:59:11 »

MANJARO 4 LYFE! Get KDE version NOW! Feel the love for pacman and non broken repos! Everything great about ARCH in one easy package without the cancerous community!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #814 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 02:18:11 »
antergos on my x200.

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline iri

« Reply #815 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 07:37:54 »
Laptop: Manjaro (i3)/OSX
same here, besides it's enlightenment and not i3
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #816 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 08:14:08 »

If you want to be a bigger nerd, try building your own with Arch. And get rid of that KDE while you're at it, and use a window manager instead. I like Openbox. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline iri

« Reply #817 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 08:34:17 »
If you want to be a bigger nerd, build your own LFS!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #818 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 12:38:49 »
If you want to be the biggest nerd build your own version of Unix. That might take some time though.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline dan002

« Reply #819 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 15:42:49 »
The raspberry pi upgraded their official OS to Debian Jessy. Super awesome because who can complain
about using a distro made for the hardware. Don't get me wrong, linux is great but sucks with hardware
compatibility. Often times simple this complicate new linux users and scare them away from a good experiance.
Peace, love and keyboards.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #820 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 16:09:12 »
linux is great but sucks with hardware compatibility.
That's not even wrong…

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #821 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 16:24:30 »
That's not even wrong…

What hardware doesn't work?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline dan002

« Reply #822 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 16:53:28 »
I guess the hardware that is not supported by the Distro.
I also believe the problem is, drivers are often closed source for NIC's, Webcams, track pads etc...
For distro developers to use the hardware features, they have to reverse engineer it. But since
the raspberry pi is open source hardware  :thumb: all the code is there to use.
Peace, love and keyboards.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #823 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 16:53:35 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

What does work: nearly everything, including obscure architectures, a lot of really old expansion cards and peripherals… and a lot of bleeding edge hardware at the other end of the spectrum.

What does not work: a whole lot of cheap garbage from sources like DealExtreme, glued together by incompetent wage slaves; some hardware "designed" for MS Windows with various obscure hacks (ahem, ACPI is a good example) due to Microsoft's Embrace, extend and extinguish policy; some common hardware, esp. GPUs and some specialized chips from companies, that deliberately choose to make life harder for the kernel community.

For example, the UVC standard is well supported in GNU/Linux nowadays, but while UVC is originally Microsoft's standard, their very own line of webcams doesn't implement it correctly.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 November 2015, 16:56:39 by davkol »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #824 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 16:58:07 »
The vast majority of the trouble that I have had with Linux has been getting common, reasonably modern ethernet and wi-fi gear to be recognized.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #825 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 17:01:21 »
Quite frankly, most of especially, but not only consumer-grade networking gear is pretty awful, as in "not very different from, say, cheap Android tablets". (LKML is often a "fun" read for that matter.)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #826 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 17:16:04 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

What does work: nearly everything, including obscure architectures, a lot of really old expansion cards and peripherals… and a lot of bleeding edge hardware at the other end of the spectrum.

What does not work: a whole lot of cheap garbage from sources like DealExtreme, glued together by incompetent wage slaves; some hardware "designed" for MS Windows with various obscure hacks (ahem, ACPI is a good example) due to Microsoft's Embrace, extend and extinguish policy; some common hardware, esp. GPUs and some specialized chips from companies, that deliberately choose to make life harder for the kernel community.

Haha, I assumed the strange phrasing was due to English not being your first language, didn't consider it could be a quote!

Seems nothing's changed since I was last shopping for hardware, GPUs have dodgy binary drivers but for pretty much anything else you use at home you just have to check what you're buying before choosing the cheapest option.  Especially wifi and touchpads :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #827 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 18:37:43 »
That's not even wrong…

What hardware doesn't work?
macbooks' web cameras.

also, there's quite a few pieces of hardware not having open source drivers.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #828 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 20:49:56 »

Not really, no.

Yea, this is the kinda stuff I don't know anything about.   Works alright for me.  I'm such a Linux newb.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 November 2015, 20:54:52 by vivalarevolución »

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #829 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 21:05:15 »

Not really, no.

Yea, this is the kinda stuff I don't know anything about.   Works alright for me.  I'm such a Linux newb.

I don't get the KDE hate. If it runs fine and you enjoy the look and feel of KDE then by all means use it.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #830 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 21:26:39 »
It also seems like discussion of Linux distros also is subject to similar bickering among the users as any other niche hobby.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #831 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 21:33:35 »
Just got Linux Mint up and running. The installation went fine. The problem I had was getting Grub to recognize Win10.

The problem turned out to be the Win10 installation. It decided during install to go with MBR instead of an EFI boot partition. How it did this when the MB was set for UEFI is beyond me.

Had to resize part of the Win10 install partition to make room for an EFI partition. After that worked out I went back and Grub was able to find the Win10 drive and make it bootable. Now it all works and dual boots without issue.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline BigDov

« Reply #832 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 21:53:30 »
I liked Crunchbang when it was being updated / maintained, but haven't messed with anything for a while..... seeing lots of folks talking about Manjaro, I might have to give that a shot.
ergodox w/ MX Blues & Granite R4 + grifiti wrist rests || CM Storm QFR w/ Reds & black PBT laser-etched caps

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #833 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 07:46:48 »
Just got Linux Mint up and running. The installation went fine. The problem I had was getting Grub to recognize Win10.

The problem turned out to be the Win10 installation. It decided during install to go with MBR instead of an EFI boot partition. How it did this when the MB was set for UEFI is beyond me.

Had to resize part of the Win10 install partition to make room for an EFI partition. After that worked out I went back and Grub was able to find the Win10 drive and make it bootable. Now it all works and dual boots without issue.
EFI has ruined my life. Installing any OS now has become strangely complex to me. I always do it wrong. I had arch on the MBR and win on EFI so I could use the EFI menu to choose which os which would then potentially take me to grub. I'm so confused.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #834 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 08:07:53 »
I liked Crunchbang when it was being updated / maintained, but haven't messed with anything for a while..... seeing lots of folks talking about Manjaro, I might have to give that a shot.

You may like Crunchbang++

EFI has ruined my life. Installing any OS now has become strangely complex to me. I always do it wrong. I had arch on the MBR and win on EFI so I could use the EFI menu to choose which os which would then potentially take me to grub. I'm so confused.

I think you mean UEFI, which is what M$ crapped out after eating the EFI standard
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #835 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 08:11:39 »

I think you mean UEFI, which is what M$ crapped out after eating the EFI standard
I think I do, but I'm a little uncertain on everything. I was creating efi partitions yesterday and was very lost. As it currently stands I have a working dualboot with win 10 and arch. Using traditional legacy bios, not the new fancy thing.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #836 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 08:12:41 »

Or Bunsen Labs.

Although I know people who have had issues with getting either one or both of those projects to do what they wanted.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #837 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 05:49:05 »

Not really, no.

I did try a couple other distros with KDE and noticed they worked quite a bit smoother and seemed more stable.  I see what you mean.

Lots of Linux choices out there.  Slightly overwhelming.

Offline redskull

« Reply #838 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 06:00:38 »
can you guys recommend me a couple of good linux distros for a noob? that would be me..  :p

im quite familiar with windows and i tinker with computer parts from time to time though.

Offline iri

« Reply #839 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 06:36:58 »
can you guys recommend me a couple of good linux distros for a noob? that would be me..  :p

im quite familiar with windows and i tinker with computer parts from time to time though.
do you also make spaghetti? it's no less relevant.

anyway, just install mint.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #840 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 06:58:54 »
I've tried a few distros, but I keep having different problems with each. Probably easily solved if it weren't for my GNU/Linux noobness.  :))

So far my favourite distro has been Fedora 23 with KDE Plasma. Except that after a few days, it decided it didn't want to boot and would lock up part way through. GRUB also wouldn't show my Win 10 installation, but that's probably something I did wrong on my end. I'm going to try again in the next few days, and I'm hoping it works - I want a stable install so I can actually get to know the OS.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #841 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 13:58:08 »
i'm getting more and more interested in void linux; it's basically arch without systemd (YES) and a pretty nifty package management system that supports binaries and a ports-like system. it feels like BSD and linux had a child.

anyone give it a spin?

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #842 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 14:45:09 »
i'm getting more and more interested in void linux; it's basically arch without systemd (YES) and a pretty nifty package management system that supports binaries and a ports-like system. it feels like BSD and linux had a child.

anyone give it a spin?

Wow, that sounds really interesting, I'll have to try it out. I'd love a more BSD like feel with the compatibility of Linux.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #843 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 14:46:47 »

anyone give it a spin?

Wow, that sounds really interesting, I'll have to try it out. I'd love a more BSD like feel with the compatibility of Linux.

i will probably try to get it running on my laptop at some point. my only concern is how robust its binary library really is (i mean, building from source is cool, but im super lazy half the time)

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #844 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 15:37:05 »

anyone give it a spin?

i will probably try to get it running on my laptop at some point. my only concern is how robust its binary library really is (i mean, building from source is cool, but im super lazy half the time)

It's not big, but it's growing, and I didn't notice any missing must-haves. It seems to have a bit of everything, from terminals to games. I recommend checking your commonly used stuff here.

I've checked Void out a few times by now and I like it. I've been waiting on Archbang's team because they were planning on doing Voidbang some time ago, but now apparently they're slowing down with Archbang itself, so looks like I'll have to look into configuring Openbox on my own.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline iri

« Reply #845 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 16:37:11 »

anyone give it a spin?
You can remove systemd's **** from arch, but it's not supported. In Manjaro it is, though.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #846 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 18:20:54 »

anyone give it a spin?
You can remove systemd's **** from arch, but it's not supported. In Manjaro it is, though.

But with void you can have an operating system called "void"...
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #847 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 22:15:43 »

anyone give it a spin?

But with void you can have an operating system called "void"...

i will be the first to confess i chose arch linux mainly because of the name.

void is sufficiently cool to warrant the same choice :P

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #848 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 22:24:54 »
I call it "Windows 10".
In all seriousness, I have Ubuntu on my second drive.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline bastones

« Reply #849 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:56:05 »
I primarily use Ubuntu with Gnome classic at home. At work I'm forced to use Windows. :(

I've tried most distros, and keep coming back to 'buntu, because I'm very familiar with it.

I'm in the same boat as you. A recent change in policy for the company i work at means I am now forced to use Windows. It's a real pain. Every time I use my personal computer I am reminded at how much better everything is.

On my computer I run Debian 8 Jessie with the GNOME desktop environment. Debian is an amazing distribution, I love it - its super stable and frankly I'm just familiar with apt, that's really the other reason I chose it over other distributions. The only thing I dislike is the outdated kernel in Debian 8 as it ships with an older version of nouveau that doesn't support NV117 cards like the 750 series without relying on the proprietary NVIDIA graphics :-(.