Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 611944 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #850 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 17:04:02 »
I primarily use Ubuntu with Gnome classic at home. At work I'm forced to use Windows. :(

I've tried most distros, and keep coming back to 'buntu, because I'm very familiar with it.

I'm in the same boat as you. A recent change in policy for the company i work at means I am now forced to use Windows. It's a real pain. Every time I use my personal computer I am reminded at how much better everything is.

On my computer I run Debian 8 Jessie with the GNOME desktop environment. Debian is an amazing distribution, I love it - its super stable and frankly I'm just familiar with apt, that's really the other reason I chose it over other distributions. The only thing I dislike is the outdated kernel in Debian 8 as it ships with an older version of nouveau that doesn't support NV117 cards like the 750 series without relying on the proprietary NVIDIA graphics :-(.

You can use apt on arch and fedora and other distros. It's just not supported very well. And not worth it.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline n__dles

« Reply #851 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:55:09 »
Funny I found this thread. I'm looking for a new distro. I've tried most distros, but my desktops have always run Redhat/Fedora.

Things I'm looking for are: not having to upgrade constantly, and even more important community/documentation. Debian seems to be the answer, I guess I just need to take the plunge.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #852 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:57:02 »
Funny I found this thread. I'm looking for a new distro. I've tried most distros, but my desktops have always run Redhat/Fedora.

Things I'm looking for are: not having to upgrade constantly, and even more important community/documentation. Debian seems to be the answer, I guess I just need to take the plunge.

Arch is usually the answer.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline bastones

« Reply #853 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:58:01 »
I primarily use Ubuntu with Gnome classic at home. At work I'm forced to use Windows. :(

I've tried most distros, and keep coming back to 'buntu, because I'm very familiar with it.

I'm in the same boat as you. A recent change in policy for the company i work at means I am now forced to use Windows. It's a real pain. Every time I use my personal computer I am reminded at how much better everything is.

On my computer I run Debian 8 Jessie with the GNOME desktop environment. Debian is an amazing distribution, I love it - its super stable and frankly I'm just familiar with apt, that's really the other reason I chose it over other distributions. The only thing I dislike is the outdated kernel in Debian 8 as it ships with an older version of nouveau that doesn't support NV117 cards like the 750 series without relying on the proprietary NVIDIA graphics :-(.

You can use apt on arch and fedora and other distros. It's just not supported very well. And not worth it.

I used to run Ubuntu but I've always found it a lot less stable compared to other distributions I've used. No matter what computer I had Ubuntu installed on, on some occasions Unity might become unresponsive requiring me to restart the shell, or more commonly, the bug report dialogue would appear often relating to a problem with Unity. That, and for a few other reasons, forced me to move away and try Debian and it's been great ever since :).

I've given Fedora a spin and it seems interesting. If I can get past the apt familiarity barrier I might get off the fence and try other distributions apart from Debian and its derivatives ;).

Offline n__dles

« Reply #854 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 19:13:46 »

Arch has the community and documentation, that's for sure. Before narrowing to just Debian, the two distros I was considering were Arch and Debian. I've used Arch once before, and enjoyed it. But Arch needs too much TLC. I have a problem getting distracted with config files (I'm starting at you .emacs), I need something that requires little attention or I'll never get anything done.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #855 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 19:46:02 »
Arch wiki has some of the best documentation I've encountered. I usually find it to be a real pleasure to use.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline bastones

« Reply #856 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 20:37:58 »

Arch has the community and documentation, that's for sure. Before narrowing to just Debian, the two distros I was considering were Arch and Debian. I've used Arch once before, and enjoyed it. But Arch needs too much TLC. I have a problem getting distracted with config files (I'm starting at you .emacs), I need something that requires little attention or I'll never get anything done.

Well considering Arch is on a rolling release schedule I can imagine it being a great choice for those wanting bleeding-edge features but I guess that comes at the sacrifice of a higher risk of package breakages. I'd be worried an update would damage my Arch install!

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #857 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:16:19 »
Well considering Arch is on a rolling release schedule I can imagine it being a great choice for those wanting bleeding-edge features but I guess that comes at the sacrifice of a higher risk of package breakages. I'd be worried an update would damage my Arch install!

Arch is all about choice. You don't have to receive a single update if you don't want, or you can just pick and choose the ones you feel like you need.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline n__dles

« Reply #858 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:30:58 »
Arch wiki has some of the best documentation I've encountered.
And the majority of it isn't distro specific. Without any question, I've read more Arch documentation than my own distros.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #859 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:32:20 »
And the majority of it isn't distro specific. Without any question, I've read more Arch documentation than my own distros.

Couldn't agree with that more. Just like how I use the freebsd wiki for basically all of my bsd endeavors.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #860 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:56:34 »

Couldn't agree with that more. Just like how I use the freebsd wiki for basically all of my bsd endeavors.

Yes -- I have never touched Arch in my life, but I love the wiki. Helped me out a lot when I started poking around with openbox and tint2.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

« Reply #861 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 22:23:31 »
At home I don't use linux as my primary OS, but I primarily use Ubuntu in a VM for various activities. I'll be starting a new job in mid-December, where the primary OS is Debian.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #862 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 22:32:28 »

So, to answer your question, your best bet is definitely Debian Stable. I'll update my server once every six months or so and Debian handles it no problem. Updating from release cycles is also a breeze and never causes any problems. Although I use Arch I can say with absolute certainty it's not the distribution you want if one of the primary things you're looking for is stability. It's a pretty easy distro to install also, so I think it's worth trying it out.

Offline iri

« Reply #863 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 08:32:27 »
Arch wiki has probably the best article on HiDPI. And that's important for me since I am a Macbook user.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #864 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 09:12:37 »
i'm getting more and more interested in void linux; it's basically arch without systemd (YES) and a pretty nifty package management system that supports binaries and a ports-like system. it feels like BSD and linux had a child.

anyone give it a spin?

Wow, that sounds really interesting, I'll have to try it out. I'd love a more BSD like feel with the compatibility of Linux.

the lead dev is ex-netbsd so it's very bsdish. runit is really cool.

void peeps: are you on #voidlinux/#xbps and/or fourm.voidlinux.eu?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #865 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 23:36:35 »
Well, I settled on a KaOS, a singularly KDE-focused distro, because it looks good, works fast, is simple, and has what I need for now.  I found it interesting how the developers optimized the distro to work with only KDE rather than overextend with too many desktop environments.

I was going to start out with the Manjaro KDE, but the live USB wouldn't boot on my computer.  I could try Manjaro with some other DE, but I feel the most comfortable with KDE starting out.  These windows managers seem interesting, too.

As my Linux experience progresses, I'll try out other distros and maybe switch to a different distro, but KaOS seems like it will allow me to get things done out-of-the-box and mess around with other distros, with my current limited free time.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:11:11 by vivalarevolución »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Nalor

« Reply #866 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 21:10:51 »
I'm a Kubutu, Mint, and PC-BSD user myself. Mostly though its all KDE.

Offline SL89

« Reply #867 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 21:41:43 »
Well, I settled on a KaOS, a singularly KDE-focused distro, because it looks good, works fast, is simple, and has what I need for now.  I found it interesting how the developers optimized the distro to work with only KDE rather than overextend with too many desktop environments.

I was going to start out with the Manjaro KDE, but the live USB wouldn't boot on my computer.  I could try Manjaro with some other DE, but I feel the most comfortable with KDE starting out.  These windows managers seem interesting, too.

As my Linux experience progresses, I'll try out other distros and maybe switch to a different distro, but KaOS seems like it will allow me to get things done out-of-the-box and mess around with other distros, with my current limited free time.

I saw KaOS and might give it a whirl. Thanks for reminding me.

Offline notbrain

« Reply #868 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 11:23:44 »
Ubuntu 14 LTS at work, a bunch of smaller distros for Pi at home.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #869 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:48:58 »

I saw KaOS and might give it a whirl. Thanks for reminding me.

Fyi, I've had some issues with Plasma crashing, but I don't think that is a KaOS problem, but more a KDE problem.  Which probably makes it a KaOS problem, considering how much the two are linked together.  Regardless, Plasma restarts without all my currently open windows and I haven't lost any data except for the small inconvenience.

I'm not exactly sure about the advantage of KaOS, considering that many other great distros offer a decent KDE experience (Linux Mint, Manjaro, for example).  But I appreciate the focus and simplicity that the developers put into optimizing KaOS for KDE, rather than tacking it on as another DE only receiving a portion of care and attention.  With KaOS, it receives ALL the attention.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 December 2015, 20:17:26 by vivalarevolución »

Offline Connly33

« Reply #870 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 01:34:38 »
Im not new to linux, but i'm definitely not an experienced linux user, i tend to go on and off with it, though it is on all of my machines now except for my main desktop. All 3 of my laptops ( A core 2 duo fujitsu lifebook, a dual core haswell celeron chromebook, and a  core 2 duo dell inspiron)   run Kubuntu, it is one of my favorite desktop linux distros. My Dell mini 9 netbook and lenovo thinkpad x100e netbook/sub notebook is running xubuntu , my media server is running open media vault which is a linux spin off server OS. My main media playback PC is running Kodibuntu, and i have a linux mint machine that i use occasionally, i've started dual booting on my main desktop but i still stick with windows 7. Though when i do move from 7, it is 80% likely that it will be over to something like kubuntu as soon as i have a motherboard that plays happily with ubuntu based distros.  I have learned a lot through trial and error, and i like having to fix issues that arise with different configurations. I have been playing with OpenSUSE a bit trying to get deeper into linux.

I have a slight issue with collecting cheap obsolete laptops, especially netbooks which i have a weird obsession with.....  The wood case on top of my desktop is a combination of dell inspiron and HP parts in a ghetto wooden box i made that i usually have mounted on the wall as a digital photo frame running kodibuntu
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 December 2015, 01:38:49 by Connly33 »

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline minhtt159

« Reply #871 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 09:28:20 »
Backbox Linux
Kali Linux
Macbook Pro md102 - iPhone 5s - iPad mini
Pok3r - Rival 100 - Artisan Hayate Otsu - VSonic VSD3s

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #872 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 11:58:24 »
Im not new to linux, but i'm definitely not an experienced linux user, i tend to go on and off with it, though it is on all of my machines now except for my main desktop. All 3 of my laptops ( A core 2 duo fujitsu lifebook, a dual core haswell celeron chromebook, and a  core 2 duo dell inspiron)   run Kubuntu, it is one of my favorite desktop linux distros. My Dell mini 9 netbook and lenovo thinkpad x100e netbook/sub notebook is running xubuntu , my media server is running open media vault which is a linux spin off server OS. My main media playback PC is running Kodibuntu, and i have a linux mint machine that i use occasionally, i've started dual booting on my main desktop but i still stick with windows 7. Though when i do move from 7, it is 80% likely that it will be over to something like kubuntu as soon as i have a motherboard that plays happily with ubuntu based distros.  I have learned a lot through trial and error, and i like having to fix issues that arise with different configurations. I have been playing with OpenSUSE a bit trying to get deeper into linux.

I have a slight issue with collecting cheap obsolete laptops, especially netbooks which i have a weird obsession with.....  The wood case on top of my desktop is a combination of dell inspiron and HP parts in a ghetto wooden box i made that i usually have mounted on the wall as a digital photo frame running kodibuntu

How do you like Open Media Vault? I considered using it but ultimately went to FreeNAS for the ZFS support.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #873 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 14:33:57 »

How do you like Open Media Vault? I considered using it but ultimately went to FreeNAS for the ZFS support.

Its kind of on par with freeNAS for the most part aside from native ZFS support, i believe you can add it though, my only real reason for going with OMV was that it was a bit easier to configure plugins for what i wanted to do, and i had never touched any freeBSD based OS so it was a bit confusing to me. When i go from my cobbled together server to something with a respectable hard drive configuration i'm definitely going to go to freeNAS for ZFS

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #874 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 16:17:21 »

You have an issue with collecting cheap obsolete items?  Welcome to geekhack!  You'll fit right in.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #875 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 16:39:30 »
Im not new to linux, but i'm definitely not an experienced linux user, i tend to go on and off with it, though it is on all of my machines now .... run Kubuntu,

I have been playing with OpenSUSE a bit trying to get deeper into linux.

I have dabbled with Ubuntu for 5-6 years, and am fairly happy with it, although it is strictly secondary because I need Windows for the "work world" for the time being. I do look forward to ditching Microsoft one day. I have already ditched Office in favor of Libreoffice and taken up Gimp in place of Photoshop Elements.

For philosophical reasons, unhappiness with Ubuntu's decisions and directions, at my last re-format-re-build I tried switching to OpenSUSE, and while it was mostly good, I found that the community and forum were spectacularly snarky and unhelpful to a newcomer. Most of my questions were (never-solved) hardware issues that should have been fairly straightforward, but I also got a lot of insults and "Why would you want to do X and not Y like I do?" when I asked "How do you do X?"

Since I was a newbie, and requested step-by-step instructions, they delighted in giving me cryptic, incomplete directions that guaranteed failure.
It was a very frustrating experience, because I really wanted to make it work.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Connly33

« Reply #876 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 17:38:26 »
Im not new to linux, but i'm definitely not an experienced linux user, i tend to go on and off with it, though it is on all of my machines now .... run Kubuntu,

I have dabbled with Ubuntu for 5-6 years, and am fairly happy with it, although it is strictly secondary because I need Windows for the "work world" for the time being. I do look forward to ditching Microsoft one day. I have already ditched Office in favor of Libreoffice and taken up Gimp in place of Photoshop Elements.

For philosophical reasons, unhappiness with Ubuntu's decisions and directions, at my last re-format-re-build I tried switching to OpenSUSE, and while it was mostly good, I found that the community and forum were spectacularly snarky and unhelpful to a newcomer. Most of my questions were (never-solved) hardware issues that should have been fairly straightforward, but I also got a lot of insults and "Why would you want to do X and not Y like I do?" when I asked "How do you do X?"

Since I was a newbie, and requested step-by-step instructions, they delighted in giving me cryptic, incomplete directions that guaranteed failure.

I definitely dislike it when the community of a certain distro is like that. Thats one reason i do like ubuntu distros, though i also dislike the direction ubuntu and Canonical is going in.  Is the community is generally very accepting of newcomers and are fairly helpful.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #877 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 17:40:21 »

You have an issue with collecting cheap obsolete items?  Welcome to geekhack!  You'll fit right in.

I guess so : p lol. Though the keyboard side of things isn't too cheap. I really like making obsolete things useful for some purpose again even if it is impractical.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #878 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 19:58:06 »

During my recent beginner's foray into Linux, I also noticed that a few distro forums were snarky towards newbie questions, and that is the exact kind of thing that is going to turn people away from the distro, the forum, and Linux in general.  Yea, you might asking a question that has been answered many times before, but a newbie may not understand how to access all available resources in their newbness.

I've also read that Ubuntu is going in a direction that may jive with other preferences and philosophies (kinda like take it or leave it, we won't let you customize to your tastes).  I don't have the long term experience with Unbuntu or Linux to support that statement, but that is what I am reading.  However, if they are going for maximum adoption from the average computer user, the quality aesthetics and ease of use are a good route.  For uber nerds like us, no thanks.

I also tried out openSUSE , but I found it more robust and feature rich (especially Yast) than what I need from a Linux distro, so I went with something simpler.  I did not venture into the forums, so I cannot speak to that atmosphere, but I found it to be a solid offering.  Yast as an installer and package manager were the easiest I encountered with Linux distro.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #879 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 20:14:44 »
I noticed there are generally two types of Linux enthusiasts, those who want to share linux and get everyone else on it, whether it be simplifying some distros enough for the slightly above average PC user, or helping inexperienced user's that are having issues. ( acctually i've noticed it can be easier to get a very inexperienced PC user to switch to something like ubuntu because they dont use a lot of advanced features or functionality, and if they start to while there on linux its not like a shock from going from the way windows works to the way linux works)  of course that can lead to issues to, like the over simplification of interfaces, but that's the beauty of linux, if one distro does not match with someone's tastes anymore there is sure to be one that will.   But anyway that leads to the second type of linux enthusiast, the kind that likes to keep the platform closed off to newbs, like they enjoy being an advanced user on a " harder to use" platform and they dont want any form of linux simplified to the point where an average user can use it effectively.

I am kind of at the point where i dont need something as robust as openSUSE, but i want to get into distros where i guess im kind of forced to do a little more problem solving.  Though at least for now ubuntu and it's variants are still my favorite. Being used to kubuntu i could install the KDE desktop environment on openSUSE and it would feel fairly familiar.

« Last Edit: Sat, 19 December 2015, 20:18:07 by Connly33 »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #880 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 20:27:11 »
I noticed there are generally two types of Linux enthusiasts, those who want to share linux and get everyone else on it, whether it be simplifying some distros enough for the slightly above average PC user, or helping inexperienced user's that are having issues. ( acctually i've noticed it can be easier to get a very inexperienced PC user to switch to something like ubuntu because they dont use a lot of advanced features or functionality, and if they start to while there on linux its not like a shock from going from the way windows works to the way linux works)  of course that can lead to issues to, like the over simplification of interfaces, but that's the beauty of linux, if one distro does not match with someone's tastes anymore there is sure to be one that will.   But anyway that leads to the second type of linux enthusiast, the kind that likes to keep the platform closed off to newbs, like they enjoy being an advanced user on a " harder to use" platform and they dont want any form of linux simplified to the point where an average user can use it effectively.

I am kind of at the point where i dont need something as robust as openSUSE, but i want to get into distros where i guess im kind of forced to do a little more problem solving.  Though at least for now ubuntu and it's variants are still my favorite. Being used to kubuntu i could install the KDE desktop environment on openSUSE and it would feel fairly familiar.

I think you summarized geek enthusiasts in general.  Geekhack is nice, because it has most of the first type.  Which is why I stick around.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #881 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 20:57:45 »

That's why i decided to join , most of the community seems more than willing to help anyone with related issues   :)

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #882 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 22:16:13 »
I didn't know the OpenSUSE users were snarky, but for sure the people on the Arch forums are not very kind to newcomers. You'll often see posts of somebody looking for help, and the only response they'll get is to read the wiki. But I know even as an experienced user that the wiki can look like hieroglyphs. Well, that's the main reason why I don't participate in those forums, and why I love GH. I may be a keyboard newb but all the old hats are happy to share their knowledge.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #883 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 09:07:27 »
I didn't know the OpenSUSE users were snarky, but for sure the people on the Arch forums are not very kind to newcomers. You'll often see posts of somebody looking for help, and the only response they'll get is to read the wiki. But I know even as an experienced user that the wiki can look like hieroglyphs. Well, that's the main reason why I don't participate in those forums, and why I love GH. I may be a keyboard newb but all the old hats are happy to share their knowledge.

Well, not every Linux forum dweller is like that, but I know what you mean.  In the time it takes to be rude and snarky, you could create a macro that copies and pastes the links for useful resources for beginners. 

Offline tchevass

• open wide
« Reply #884 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 09:37:04 »
I want to use debian, but I can't install debian on my laptop because some of the component in my computer are not supported in the kernel.

I will have to wait for kernel 4.4 to install it..
I want clacks

Offline n__dles

« Reply #885 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 22:56:41 »
I noticed there are generally two types of Linux enthusiasts, those who want to share linux and get everyone else on it, .. the second type.. likes to keep the platform closed off to newbs, like they enjoy being an advanced user on a " harder to use" platform
I think those might be the 2 types who answer questions in the newbie sections of forums.

Personally, I don't care what OS others use, and I think most of the people I know feel the same way. If someone wants to create a user friendly distro, my thoughts are: OK. If they want to create a "harder to use platform" I feel the same way. That's the good thing about OSS, anyone can fork and do what they want. It's also the bad thing since it causes fragmentation.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #886 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 23:03:31 »
Guess who's reinstalling Arch Linux! (to get rid of all the crap that's accumulated on it) Woohoo so much fun!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #887 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 01:36:23 »

these two types of people are just  vocal subsets of linux users - there are a lot of people out there who just don't care to share their opinions on the web OR help new people that get along just fine using linux for whatever reason they want :) forum-based communities are not often geared towards all groups of linux users- there's a lot going on in IRC channels and mailing lists that you will probably never be exposed to on the web.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #888 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 02:22:35 »
So I am running a dual boot on my laptop with an SSD. I had no issues with the SSD for about a year in my desktop, but I got a new one for the desktop so moved this one over. Been having some issues with Windows randomly freezing and BSODing and GRUB not being able to detect Windows. After a hard reset it usually comes right back on. Anyone know if it's a GRUB issue or just a problem with the SSD?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #889 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 02:34:47 »
So I am running a dual boot on my laptop with an SSD. I had no issues with the SSD for about a year in my desktop, but I got a new one for the desktop so moved this one over. Been having some issues with Windows randomly freezing and BSODing and GRUB not being able to detect Windows. After a hard reset it usually comes right back on. Anyone know if it's a GRUB issue or just a problem with the SSD?
If Windows is BSODing it definitely isn't a grub issue.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #890 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 10:52:59 »
Arch since 2007, and if it wasn't for hard drive and parition changes while I was still inexperienced it might as well be the original installation. Works pretty well.

Also exherbo, which has a neat package resolver but a bit ambitious goals in terms of layout and features. So I can't even run Steam there since nobody managed to make it play along last time I checked.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2015, 14:42:59 by kekstee »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #891 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 10:58:16 »
It's still Linux Mint Xfce for me. It is easy to install and use, the forums are friendly and helpful, and yet it is suitable for serious work. I use it for both my server and my desktops.

Offline bastones

« Reply #892 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 13:46:48 »

You'll definitely get those kinds of people on IRC, and they can get quite nasty. Thankfully, not everyone is like that but some just don't realise how unhelpful they are and it is extremely frustrating to witness. I've seen it firsthand and it boggles my mind how some folks can't pick up the signals that they need to simplify their explanations. It's not difficult.

Put it this way, I fully understand you and it can be a frustrating experience. It's just finding the right crowd to ask your question.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #893 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 02:34:18 »
openbsd: what a revelation!

Offline Altis

« Reply #894 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 16:40:01 »
I've been very much enjoying ChaletOS (Ubuntu-based). It's quite polished and easy to live with. You can make it look a lot like Windows, actually.

I also use ElementaryOS Freya (which looks a lot like Mac OS X), and it looks decent but I've found the performance isn't too great on it for some reason.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #895 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 18:32:07 »
Ian Murdock, creator of Debian, has passed today.  :(

http://blog.docker.com/2015/12/ian-murdock/
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #896 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 20:21:16 »
Ian Murdock, creator of Debian, has passed today.  :(

http://blog.docker.com/2015/12/ian-murdock/

That is extremely unfortunate if the rumoured events leading up to it are even remotely true.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #897 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 07:59:53 »
Very sad to see the news of Ian Murdock's passing. All who use Debian or any of the great number of linux distros derived from it owe him a debt of gratitude.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #898 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 18:44:16 »
Very sad to see the news of Ian Murdock's passing. All who use Debian or any of the great number of linux distros derived from it owe him a debt of gratitude.

Including Ubuntu!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #899 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 10:10:35 »
openbsd: what a revelation!
Show Image

So you made the switch finally?