Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 612339 times)

Offline n__dles

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #900 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 02:18:31 »
Remember these?

I found them underneath my bed. All the disks are missing, not that it matters. I had a BeOS one that wasn't with them, hopefully it will turn up, old school esoteric.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #901 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 02:22:24 »
openbsd: what a revelation!
Show Image

So you made the switch finally?

yeah and other than javascript in any browser being dog-slow, i love it!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #902 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 03:10:10 »
Remember these?

Show Image

I found them underneath my bed. All the disks are missing, not that it matters. I had a BeOS one that wasn't with them, hopefully it will turn up, old school esoteric.

I have a full box set of SuSE installation, including CDs and manuals.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vyshane

« Reply #903 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 04:54:00 »
Remember these?

Show Image

Oh man, my first distro was Red Hat Linux 6.1. I wish I'd kept the box and manuals.

This is the only thing that I've kept, circa 2003:

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #904 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 05:13:37 »
Typing from my Arch installation, which is now the main OS on my battlestation. But I also do have a Windows VM, only for Lightroom. Works good so far, I just need to 'rice' up my desktop. Using i3 WM, again Firefox since years of using Chrome, some tools, but really not that much. I like it! It is like a never ending project, and there is always something to do.
... ...

Offline n__dles

« Reply #905 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 10:04:39 »
Oh man, my first distro was Red Hat Linux 6.1. I wish I'd kept the box and manuals.

This is the only thing that I've kept, circa 2003:

(Attachment Link)
At the local Hackerspace there's a bookshelf and I found an original printing of 2nd ed. K&R C! For those that don't know, the 2nd edition of K&R came out 1988 and there's been more than 50 printings.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #906 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 14:15:55 »
I just tossed the guts of my old server that was running Mandrake 10. Great distro that lost its way. I now have a SteamOS box that i've bricked a few times with their updates but otherwise keeping it simple.
-Dana

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #907 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 14:25:18 »
I just tossed the guts of my old server that was running Mandrake 10. Great distro that lost its way. I now have a SteamOS box that i've bricked a few times with their updates but otherwise keeping it simple.

Ouch, I heard that SteamOS had some problems, but I didn't think it was that bad...
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #908 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 17:05:03 »

Ouch, I heard that SteamOS had some problems, but I didn't think it was that bad...

I'm also using old hardware. An HP HPE410F; non-uefi mobo and an old junk AMD/ATI GPU so i cant really complain. Its still a beta anyway so i dont mind.
-Dana

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #909 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 17:35:33 »

I'm also using old hardware. An HP HPE410F; non-uefi mobo and an old junk AMD/ATI GPU so i cant really complain. Its still a beta anyway so i dont mind.
What compelled you to run SteamOS on this kind of hardware?

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #910 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 19:26:05 »

What compelled you to run SteamOS on this kind of hardware?

It allows me to use my gaming rig upstairs to do all the heavy processing and then just stream the video over the network to my steamOS box connected to the 4K TV downstairs where i can play on the couch. It was a win win situation for me since 1. I wanted to play games with the graphics of my desktop but on the 65" screen and 2. Most importantly my wife can sit on the couch and watch, play 2player, do her own thing... and generally not feel like she's being ignored.
-Dana

Offline nephiel

« Reply #911 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 00:57:55 »
Giving Devuan a try on an old desktop machine.

I really hope this Debian fork stands the test of time. I don't need no systemd and nearly every other distro is switching to it.

Also removing Pulseaudio while I'm at it.
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #912 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 13:19:31 »

I really hope this Debian fork stands the test of time. I don't need no systemd and nearly every other distro is switching to it.

Would love to hear your experiences. I really don't like systemd, and have yet to find a distro without it that I like

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #913 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 09:53:31 »
I'm new to Linux, so i'm not too familiar with this systemd tiff.  Do you all recommend any resources you could point me towards that are a good primer?  So far, I've found this resource somewhat useful:

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 January 2016, 10:23:24 by vivalarevolución »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #914 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 11:16:15 »
Most of them are linked in the wiki you posted. there also was one nice gif with a plush animal(forgot what exactly) of some kind with systemd written on it "eating" other programs/services/daemons/etc. in chronological order, but the link I have 404s.

In other words, I wussed out of Void because it's void(w) of documentation and will probably go with PCLinuxOS.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline gorebrush

« Reply #915 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 11:32:54 »

Would love to hear your experiences. I really don't like systemd, and have yet to find a distro without it that I like

Gentoo...?

I'm an Arch/Debian user myself

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #916 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:53:54 »
Btw anyone here on Linux with a 2560x1440 or 3440x1440 monitor? Just bought a 27" 2560x1440 screen (not there yet) and thinking about selling it to a client and go directly for a 34" 3440x1440 one.  I won't be gaming at all: it's for my workstation (don't even have speakers connected: no game, no sound).

I think I'll have to buy a new GPU with DisplayPort and mess up with my Linux configuration quite a bit (tried a 34" with a thunderbolt adapter on a MacBook Air: worked immediately... I know that sadly it won't be that easy with Linux).

I'm interested if anyone has feedback on such a setup with Linux.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #917 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 12:29:35 »
I test out distros on live USB sticks on my 13.3" Macbook Pro Retina (2560x1600).  While this is smaller than the displays you are describing, it looks sharp but the text is REALLY tiny and the first I do is change the display resolution to 1600x900 or so. 

I've been looking into Linux compatibility with hi-res monitors and laptops, and the general theme seems to be that you can change the desktop theme and browser font to work with hi-res, but there might be inconsistencies across different software applications and desktop environments.

However, on my 21" 1080p monitor, Linux shows up well without having to make any adjustments.

Considering the spotty results, I probably won't go higher than 1080p on my monitors and laptops in the near future for using Linux distros.  Of course, I'm no authority, so others may have different experiences than me.

Just Google "Linux and hidpi" or "Linux and 4k" and I think you will find plenty of helpful info.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 January 2016, 12:44:32 by vivalarevolución »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #918 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 13:03:59 »
Or you could buy the monitor of choice and simply set a lower display resolution until support is more consistent for higher resolutions. Which is what I might do.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #919 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 16:36:12 »
Or you could buy the monitor of choice and simply set a lower display resolution until support is more consistent for higher resolutions. Which is what I might do.

Ah... Thing is: I always run my monitors at native resolution (and use bigger fonts if the pixels are too tiny). Only on a screen with really tiny pixels (like a Mac retina display) can I withstand the "scaling") and on the 34" I'm thinking of (a Dell U3415W, same panel as the LG 34uc97 I think) the pixels aren't *that* small :)

Also 3440x1440 is not even 4K if I'm not mistaken: 4K starts at 4000x2160 I think. But I'll double check: I take it that if I can make 4K work, then I can do 3440x1440 too.

It's for a desktop: so my concern is which GPU to buy and which cable (and which cable version etc.) to use... I think I need to go DisplayPort 1.2 at least. And then, on top of it, I'd like a passive GPU for my workstation is close to silent (SSD, passive heatsink, no fans on the GPU, BeQuiet alim, etc.).

Fun evenings ahead I guess :-/
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #920 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 16:40:00 »
Remember these?

I raise your bet with this, first distro of Linux I ever used (and dang, I used it a lot: learned Un*x commands, emacs, LaTeX, etc. all from within Slackware), installed Slackware from the CD (it was also possible to download slackware --70 disks IIRC-- with my 33.6 K modem but that would have been too slow):

By the way that's a pic I found on the Internet: I'm pretty sure mine was the first version of the book, not the updated one as in this picture :)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #921 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 19:07:06 »

Ah... Thing is: I always run my monitors at native resolution (and use bigger fonts if the pixels are too tiny). Only on a screen with really tiny pixels (like a Mac retina display) can I withstand the "scaling") and on the 34" I'm thinking of (a Dell U3415W, same panel as the LG 34uc97 I think) the pixels aren't *that* small :)

Also 3440x1440 is not even 4K if I'm not mistaken: 4K starts at 4000x2160 I think. But I'll double check: I take it that if I can make 4K work, then I can do 3440x1440 too.

It's for a desktop: so my concern is which GPU to buy and which cable (and which cable version etc.) to use... I think I need to go DisplayPort 1.2 at least. And then, on top of it, I'd like a passive GPU for my workstation is close to silent (SSD, passive heatsink, no fans on the GPU, BeQuiet alim, etc.).

Fun evenings ahead I guess :-/

Whatever works, I suppose.  I found this archwiki article very useful.  Gave me a little more confidence if I wanted to purchase a higher resolution monitor or laptop:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #922 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 19:09:22 »
Show Image

Since when? I've never had any problems like this - are you sure it's not just your hardware?  If it's a big issue, try out the advanced mode of ublock origin where you can block scripts.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #923 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 19:41:49 »
Show Image

Since when? I've never had any problems like this - are you sure it's not just your hardware?  If it's a big issue, try out the advanced mode of ublock origin where you can block scripts.

Javascript just doesn't work that well on BSD. Linux suffers from the same too.

Offline nephiel

« Reply #924 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 01:31:04 »
Show Image

s/Javascript/Adobe\ Flash/
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #925 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:32:50 »
Show Image

firefox on openbsd is slow, period. chromium on openbsd is slow, period. every web browser on openbsd is slow, period.

Show Image

it's worse on openbsd. really bad. like, browser is  non-responsive for up to 10 seconds sometimes when using sites like Facebook.
thankfully there's youtube-dl because streaming video in a browser is basically impossible on this machine, where it was completely smooth with linux. youtube's not everything though :P

Show Image

s/Javascript/Adobe\ Flash/

no... keep javascript in there.
there's no flash on openbsd. maybe pepper flash works. i don't care... can't use a handful of sites here and there but it's a good tradeoff.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline dan002

« Reply #926 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 12:49:27 »
Do you mostly use 'lite' distros without the GUI and SSH in or use the GUI?
Peace, love and keyboards.

Offline JonnyPolygon

• Mechanical keyboard masterrace
« Reply #927 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 12:54:57 »
I switched to ubuntu for a while but realised I wanted to game lol

Ducky Shine | i7 GTX 980ti | Top 9 best mechanical keyboards

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #928 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 14:21:32 »
I switched to ubuntu for a while but realised I wanted to game lol

I use a virtualized instance of qemu-kvm for stuff like that

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #929 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 10:22:24 »

I'm using Debian and always booting without a GUI, then I "startx" which launches a pretty basic X: no Gnome, no KDE.  I'm using a tiling window manager (the Awesome WM, but I may switch to XMonad): so I have no icons for example.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #930 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 19:47:08 »

I only use Linux on servers, so headless. Last year I started using CoreOS. Going forward this is probably going to be my base distro for servers.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #931 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 19:56:22 »
Anybody using Docker?

Offline dan002

« Reply #932 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 17:13:12 »
Anybody using Docker?

I really like Docker, it was the only menu bar that worked on ARM laptop for me!
Peace, love and keyboards.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #933 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 18:35:40 »
Anybody using Docker?

I really like Docker, it was the only menu bar that worked on ARM laptop for me!

I meant this Docker:

Docker is an open-source project that automates the deployment of applications inside software containers, by providing an additional layer of abstraction and automation of operating-system-level virtualization on Linux.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #934 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 20:39:18 »
Anybody use the Enlightenment desktop?  I've played around with it on a few live USBs, and it seems interesting enough for a beginner like myself.

Offline n__dles

« Reply #935 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:53:54 »
Anybody use the Enlightenment desktop?  I've played around with it on a few live USBs, and it seems interesting enough for a beginner like myself.
Enlightenment's zenith was back in the late 90s. Memories of sitting in the dev chat, thinking I was a prodigy for writing some E widget that displayed temp. or load or something...

If you're looking for a clean Win95 style desktop enviroment there's XFCE which is what I was using after Gnome 3. But I switched to i3, a tiling window manager, a couple years ago and haven't looked back. It's like going from rubberdome to mechanical.

Offline thatllbeme

« Reply #936 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 05:15:09 »
I'm a big fan of Fedora nowadays - my Ubuntu LTS install crashed far too regularly to be useful. Fedora's been crashing a bit too lately (I think running a VM on my laptop is too much of a demand, really) - any other distros I should try?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #937 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 06:21:59 »

not since like 2004 heh. doesn't look like their visual paradigm has gone much further than that, either. but i know some people swear by it!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #938 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 06:23:59 »

Offline leon

« Reply #939 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 09:22:14 »
I use ElementaryOS on my PC since it's the most like OSX which I am using on my macbook air. 
I also have arch installed on this harddrive somewhere but I never use it.

Offline lishi

• Luxury Taste Buds
    • Personal Website
« Reply #940 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 10:17:38 »
Currently using Antergos because my Windows 10 drive died and I don't wanna go through the hassle of setting up Arch  :p
All the kustom 60s

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #941 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 14:36:19 »
For stability purposes I use Ubuntu LTS on my server. Server's running now for 3 years day-in-day-out.. no one single config or update break. Holy miracle..

On desktop, I mainly now use OS X with a terminal with tmux+vim+tools, but I used to use Arch Linux. But now they got rid of the installer in base, I do not like it that much anymore. I can do the manual install, I've done it multiple times, but I simply don't like it. A bit too barebones for me. I also always had update breaks like 1-2 times every 3 months. Became too annoying for me, so I took the plunge, emptied my wallet and bought a mac somehere in 2008.

Started with SuSE 7 somewhere in 2000, proceeded with Mandrake, RHEL, Debian. Tried Gentoo / Penguin Linux on the side. Ultimately sticked with Arch because of i686 and it's speed and xubuntu coz of laziness.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #942 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 19:41:56 »
Well it's been quite a while since I posted here, so I figure I'll post what I use again.

After around 3 years of distro hopping and using Arch quite a bit of that time, I find that Anything Debian/Ubuntu-based for my desktop/laptops and Debian for my server(s) is good enough for me.
And I am looking at FreeBSD on my secondary desktop just to see what ZFS is all about.
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #943 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 20:16:24 »
For stability purposes I use Ubuntu LTS on my server. Server's running now for 3 years day-in-day-out.. no one single config or update break. Holy miracle..
My android build server has been running LTS as well for a similar time, ridiculously stable. Though my old web server, which ran Cent was similar, I'm just not a fan of it. I liked Red Hat and Cent until I had that server for a while. When it fell a bit too far behind, all advice I found flat out said do NOT update it as it would probably break. That ended that.

Well it's been quite a while since I posted here, so I figure I'll post what I use again.

After around 3 years of distro hopping and using Arch quite a bit of that time, I find that Anything Debian/Ubuntu-based for my desktop/laptops and Debian for my server(s) is good enough for me.
Kind of an update for me as well, but also follows what you found...
While I love Debian w/Cinnamon, I found Mint Cinnamon to function a bit better (ignoring the installer bug on some systems), it's integrated better. I won't use Ubuntu, but there is a ton of help for it, so using Mint is sort of a best of the bench for me. It's on two of my laptops now, and I'm quite happy with it. I expect it'll be on that on my desktop by the end of the weekend now that I have it sorted.

Like you, I tried Arch and others, and in the end, many are just not maintained well enough or require far more effort than I need to expend on maintaining an os. It's an OS, it may be fine for others, but to me, the OS has become background noise to what I do on the computer and therefor should not require that much focus to keep it running. I just want it to do what I need and disappear into the background.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #944 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 04:35:04 »
Remember these?

Show Image

Right in dem nostalgia.. I had Suse 7.2 Pro boxed. With that paperback manual of 500+ pages. Hmm... the goodness. Shouldn't have discarded it.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #945 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 04:38:17 »

And I am looking at FreeBSD on my secondary desktop just to see what ZFS is all about.

I thought of switching to FreeBSD coz of ZFS as well. But then I found out that ZFS and all its newer goodness is owned by Oracle. And they do not always (or in a timely manner) backport to FreeBSD and the lot. So I decided to stick with EXT4 and wait till BTRFS becomes more stable I guess.

Offline iri

« Reply #946 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 05:18:31 »
I used it with a 4K display because it has a global scaling setting.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #947 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 06:51:14 »
Btw no to flame, but how is linux on the desktop? I am getting increasingly tired of Apple's practices (glueing everything, making you buy the most expensive configuration to future-proof, etc.) and was thinking of building my own powerhouse rig with linux. But then I noticed that there are still many issues on the desktop. Is this still true?

For instance: http://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

List is really scaring the crap out of me.. I need stuff to work. I can do sysops and figure the **** out of my installation, but I do not want to break stuff continuously when I'm working on deadlines.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #948 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 07:19:04 »

Btw no to flame, but how is linux on the desktop? I am getting increasingly tired of Apple's practices (glueing everything, making you buy the most expensive configuration to future-proof, etc.) and was thinking of building my own powerhouse rig with linux. But then I noticed that there are still many issues on the desktop. Is this still true?

For instance: http://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

List is really scaring the crap out of me.. I need stuff to work. I can do sysops and figure the **** out of my installation, but I do not want to break stuff continuously when I'm working on deadlines.

I haven't kept a Linux workstation for several years now, so I'm a bit out of touch. However, Linux was already perfectly fine on the desktop even when I first tried it over 15 years ago. I can't imagine why things should be any different these days.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #949 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 08:15:43 »
Almost all of the headaches that I have ever encountered with Linux have revolved around devices not working, and sometimes never working, even after considerable troubleshooting, especially LAN, wireless, and audio cards, etc.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"