Author Topic: Post your console gaming setups  (Read 86377 times)

Offline Alex92

Re: Post your console gaming setups
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:56:16 »
From left to right: US in-store demo, US gold version, US standard version, US Players Choice version, Japanese version, European version, Taiwanese version, Australian version, and Hong Kong version.
Once I get the Brazilian version, I'll have the whole set :p

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 14:33:53 »
From left to right: US in-store demo, US gold version, US standard version, US Players Choice version, Japanese version, European version, Taiwanese version, Australian version, and Hong Kong version.

Show Image

Damn!  This is amazing.  Showing all of us up...   :-[

B-but..but... do you have the Japanese box??  Maybe I have something you don't??  :P  :-*

Offline Alex92

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 14:45:07 »

Show Image

Damn!  This is amazing.  Showing all of us up...   :-[

B-but..but... do you have the Japanese box??  Maybe I have something you don't??  :P  :-*

Nope, I don't have the Japanese box (or the blue N64 either), so I guess you have me beat there :P
I thought about getting a boxed one, but if I got the Japanese box, then I would end up wanting the boxes for all of the other versions as well. And for some of those games (the Taiwanese/Hong Kong versions for example), it's hard enough to find the game itself, let alone the box too. I would end up losing my mind trying to find them all lol

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 12:01:32 »

Picked up a PS2 Slim so I could play Taiko Drum Master. Best rhythm game!

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 20:58:52 »

Show Image

Yes this is cool. Didn't even know all of these existed.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 16:56:00 »
Somebody here rockin a consolized Neo Geo MVS?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 17:25:07 »
I have a Supergun in storage. AES is hooked up currently  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 08:03:29 »

Anyone like Turbografx or NEC consoles? I recently got really into it.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 19:04:09 »
Y'all aren't even read for the stack of BVM/PVMs I'm about to post. :))

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 19:09:11 »
Ones for me right?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 19:11:35 »

Oh snap. Dibs!!

Offline gojira54

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 10:52:27 »

piles of BVMs eh?
;)

98043-0

98045-1

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 10:58:13 »

piles of BVMs eh?
;)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Can I PM you my address?   :eek:

Offline gojira54

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 11:03:09 »
BVMs are all in the UK...

Show Image

I love the PC Engine!
I think hucards are beautiful   :-*

98067-098069-198071-298073-398075-498077-5

98059-698061-798063-898065-9

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:02:00 »

piles of BVMs eh?
 ;)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

:o :o :o

Was that taken in the UK?

How many of those were functioning? Did you buy a few?
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:08:18 by jwaz »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:06:20 »

I figured as much.  :P  Was only teasing anyway.  :)

Also, very nice collection!  :O

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:07:34 »

Show Image

I love the PC Engine!
I think hucards are beautiful   :-*

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Your collection makes me weep. It's beautiful.

And that stack of PVMs and BVMs though.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:13:11 »
So since you guys either have RGB setups or are interested in them I figured I'd ask about SCART switches.

Is there an affordable high-quality product available? The only thing I've seen is the $15 3 port one I found on eBay which looks like a Hama and the DIY one from the Shmup/ Assembler forums (I'm on a list to be on a list :\ ). Any better options out there?

AFA cables go everything I've seen looks like handmade stuff based on monoprice BNC cables available on eBay for a slight (affordable) premium.

From what I've read Console RGB to SCART -> SCART Switch -> SCART to BNC -> CRT is the way to go. I've just ordered a ton of various connectors to try and get this figured out. Loads of research still to do though.

Offline gojira54

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:16:58 »
>How many of those were functioning? Did you buy a few?

I have bought a few monitors over the last few years, but last year the BBC sold off the contents of the 'Television Centre' in London.. pics are from the inside of their warehouse when I collected my stuff... bought a few pallets with a friend :)

Offline gojira54

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:20:15 »
So since you guys either have RGB setups or are interested in them I figured I'd ask about SCART switches.

Is there an affordable high-quality product available? The only thing I've seen is the $15 3 port one I found on eBay which looks like a Hama and the DIY one from the Shmup/ Assembler forums (I'm on a list to be on a list :\ ). Any better options out there?

AFA cables go everything I've seen looks like handmade stuff based on monoprice BNC cables available on eBay for a slight (affordable) premium.

From what I've read Console RGB to SCART -> SCART Switch -> SCART to BNC -> CRT is the way to go. I've just ordered a ton of various connectors to try and get this figured out. Loads of research still to do though.

Best way is a matrix switcher like these;
http://www.extron.co.uk/product/listbytype.aspx?subtype=139
http://www.kramerelectronics.co.uk/products/model.asp?pid=1869&sf=44&pname=VP-885

No loss of quality, all BNC connections though.
These things go for cheap on fleabay, the cabling will cost you more!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:21:52 »

I honestly don't know that much because it's so confusing. I attempted to read through Fudoh's stuff on his website. But I didn't get it. When I went to the Louisville Arcade Expo I saw a BVM/PVM connected to like a red white  yellow cable. That's it. So I just wanted a BVM/PVM and do a simple connection and be done with it.

>How many of those were functioning? Did you buy a few?

I have bought a few monitors over the last few years, but last year the BBC sold off the contents of the 'Television Centre' in London.. pics are from the inside of their warehouse when I collected my stuff... bought a few pallets with a friend :)

(Attachment Link)

Wow...a) I can't believe they sold off stuff b) I can't believe you bought *pallets* of stuff. I so wish I could get cheap shipping from the UK...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:24:10 »

I haven't seen any devices in the US that support SCART.  Are you modding your consoles to use SCART?  I'm very noob in the world of console modding/upgrading in this sense, so I'd love some info on this.   :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:26:23 »
Agreed I'd love some info on all of it. It's so overwhelming that I just am hunting for a smaller Sony Trinitron to play on.

Offline gojira54

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:28:54 »
RGB is the only way IMHO...
A lot of old consoles have good RGB without modding - megadrive, sfc, ps1, saturn etc... no forgetting JAMMA too ;)
Hooking up the *right* cables isn't too bad, there's loads of info out there on pinouts etc if you need to make up your own stuff.
Only consoles I've had to mod for RGB are PCE, n64 & sega mk3

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 17:13:48 »
I honestly don't know that much because it's so confusing. I attempted to read through Fudoh's stuff on his website. But I didn't get it. When I went to the Louisville Arcade Expo I saw a BVM/PVM connected to like a red white  yellow cable. That's it. So I just wanted a BVM/PVM and do a simple connection and be done with it.
Agreed I'd love some info on all of it. It's so overwhelming that I just am hunting for a smaller Sony Trinitron to play on.
I've been playing Final Fantasy 7 on my 14" S-video PVM over the last few days after work. It's much better than composite (yellow) but not quite as nice as RGB. The monitor itself was only $20 so I think it was totally worth it (out of the three I have it's the only one without RGB). You wouldn't really be doing yourself any favors by using composite (yellow RCA cable) video on nice monitor, it kind of defeats the purpose. The red and white cables are audio left and right which you shouldn't use with these monitors since they are mostly mono, I recommend a nice pair of studio monitors instead. (I'm using my cheap m-audios, thanks tj!)

If you want to keep it simple at first just use S-Video but eventually you'll get the itch and want all your consoles to look there best and start to invest in a full BNC-based RGB setup. ;)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 17:59:43 »
Guess I mean S Video, not Yellow. Anywho, if I could score one for $14, I'd already be playing on one. unfortunately, it's $100-200+ here to get a PVM or BVM.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 05:15:53 »
I also got a 14" BVM and a 20" PVM. Need to take a pic when I'm back home.

Got a PAL Snes (rgb) attached to them. :)

Sadly the pvm is a bit noisy and makes a high frequency noise. Some people even don't hear it, but I hear it and it drives me crazy.

Would love to have a 20" bvm or a 29" pvm....

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 14:44:33 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 18:01:13 »
GameStop heard the clarion call

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/retro-classics

Cool to see them getting in on retro games, but I can't imagine this being a better alternative to eBay, in terms of price.   :-\

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 23:00:04 »
That means they might actually have battletoads ;")

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 06:03:45 »
I just realized that my GAME BOY games are now 25 years old  :eek:

I have no idea if any of them are rare/worth anything. I got them from my uncle like ten years ago.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 17:29:24 »
A few new pickups today:

Alisia Dragoon is really one of my favorite Genesis titles of all-time. It plays like an adventure platformer with RPG elements. You have a set of familiars that follow you around and level up separately from you. The game gets brutally difficult but the graphics and music are great for a Genesis game.

Light(e)ning Force is the 4th game in the Thunderforce series. From a technological standpoint the game is absolutely incredible. I have never seen this many layers of paralax scrolling on ANY other 4th generation system, and that includes heavy hitters like the Neo Geo. There is some noticeable slowdown in places, but not near as much as you'd think by the amount of things going on. Plus the opening music is ****ing rad!

Peace Keepers is a side-scrolling beat-em-up which is pretty standard fare except that there are branching paths and multiple outcomes for each level. It's not as fun as say, Final Fight, but it's unique and getting quite difficult to find these days.

Tales of Phantasia. I can't say enough good things about this title. The game is hands down the most lush and gorgeous SNES game I have ever played. The graphics, animation, and voice acting (yep, on a SNES) are all quite good, and although I don't speak Japanese I can hear every syllable spoken clearly. This is my first Tales game ever (appropriate since it's the first) and so far I am very impressed. If I didn't know any better I would've guessed this to be a PS1 or Saturn game by the way ity looks, moves, and sounds. One of the best RPGs on the SNES, and it absolutely baffles me that it never made it to the US. This is a reproduction translated cart, which thus far works

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 19:42:28 »
Terrible picture for showing my gaming setup, but wanted to get a photo that shows most of what's going on in this mess of a room.  :))

Playing Pokemon Blue on the GameBoy Player on GCN.  ^-^

Pokemon Blue by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:01:50 »
Didn't even know this thread existed.
My obsessive hobby before keyboards. :X

Need to get a good CRT before I get a proper retro setup. Every listing on Craigslist lately either goes too fast or never responds. :(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:03:40 »

Need to get a good CRT before I get a proper retro setup. Every listing on Craigslist lately either goes too fast or never responds. :(

What CRT are you looking for?  I still need to get a good one, I'm just rocking what my family had when I was younger.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:06:26 »

What CRT are you looking for?  I still need to get a good one, I'm just rocking what my family had when I was younger.

Any mid-90s Trinitron. I figured start with that before a BVM/PVM.
I've seen some good ones for free, but every time I confirm my pick-up they'd say it was picked up for charity or they'd never respond.

The JVC we had as a kid had a magnet put on the screen and was recently tossed.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:09:43 »

I've seen some good ones for free, but every time I confirm my pick-up they'd say it was picked up for charity or they'd never respond.

Ahh yeah, Trinitron is obviously good.  I got ripped off on a BVM last year (seller "didn't have anything to test the connection with", it was only $50 so I took it, turns out it's missing the RGB control board  :mad: ), and haven't searched around for a replacement yet.  :-/ 

You're not interested in getting it set up and dropping in a CRT after the fact?  Or getting a dumpy screen for now and upgrading later?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:10:44 »
What, no SNES, Hoff? Nice Nintendo setup. :thumb:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:10:57 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:59:47 by alienman82 »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:11:11 »
I would say it's probably still worth $50, was it a 20"?

Speaking of retro gaming setups I still haven't found a good SCART switch for sale.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:13:31 »

Ahh yeah, Trinitron is obviously good.  I got ripped off on a BVM last year (seller "didn't have anything to test the connection with", it was only $50 so I took it, turns out it's missing the RGB control board  :mad: ), and haven't searched around for a replacement yet.  :-/ 

You're not interested in getting it set up and dropping in a CRT after the fact?  Or getting a dumpy screen for now and upgrading later?

If I can get a BVM/PVM off Craigslist then I'd go for it! I figured a good CRT would be easier to get and would at least get me S-video. Once I mod my consoles and/or get the right cables, I'll get a better monitor for those with RGB.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:18:31 »
What, no SNES, Hoff? Nice Nintendo setup. :thumb:

SNES is downstairs hooked up to the SCART -> HDMI converter to test it out.  ;)

Don't worry, I've got every Nintendo console from NES to WiiU.  :confused:  And most of their handhelds too...

Nice setup!  Drink some beer, play some games, relax ^-^

^-^  That's the plan!  :D  And thanks.  :)

I would say it's probably still worth $50, was it a 20"?

Speaking of retro gaming setups I still haven't found a good SCART switch for sale.

It's a baby one.  I think 13".  I haven't tried hooking up RCA/S-video - think it's worth?  I think I'll need to pick up an adapter of some sort is why I'm asking (have honestly forgotten, I put the thing in the closet out of frustration).

If I can get a BVM/PVM off Craigslist then I'd go for it! I figured a good CRT would be easier to get and would at least get me S-video. Once I mod my consoles and/or get the right cables, I'll get a better monitor for those with RGB.

:thumb:  Be sure to post in here with any progress you make.  :D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 09:36:24 »
:thumb:  Be sure to post in here with any progress you make.  :D

Got all excited last night because someone posted an XBR model. Thought it was an XBR100, but turns out it's an XBR50.
Wondering if I should make the hour-and-a-half commute for a $10 TV...  :rolleyes:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 21:34:54 »
This should be relevant to our interests.  :)

Midwest Gaming Classic by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #195 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 21:36:28 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:34:12 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #196 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 21:51:57 »

Yeeeeee the haul today was great. Good times with Hoof and Halvy.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 22:13:02 »
Show Image

Sweet repro cart. What does the ROM hack actually change?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #198 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 22:20:50 »
Show Image

http://pokemonashgray.com/

Apparently the story lines up with the anime story.  I'm psyched to play it myself.  :D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #199 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 22:33:22 »
Show Image

http://pokemonashgray.com/

Apparently the story lines up with the anime story.  I'm psyched to play it myself.  :D

Oh, yeah; I remember hearing about that one.

Also, almost didn't realize who responded because of the missing avatar.