Author Topic: How often do you guys switch out keyboards?  (Read 6407 times)

Offline WiL11o6

How often do you guys switch out keyboards?
« on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 10:33:25 »
I've been using my Rosewill with reds for a couple months, doing daily gaming, surfing, chatting, etc. I just bought a Filco with blues and I am loving it. I'm having a blast typing on this vs my reds and my initial thought was, "Damn, I wish I went with blues before reds, that way I'd save $100." After a session of BF3 in the quiet night and early mornings, all I could hear was click click click. The blues are a TAD bit heavier and I'm used to the lightness of the reds so I do miss a couple keystrokes here and there. I wonder what my reds feel like compared to the blues so I walk over to my Rosewill and give it some love. I think, "Hmm....these reds do feel quite nice after using the blues for awhile, I wouldn't mind swapping out my Filco from blues to reds once in awhile, I'd be like having a whole new keyboard experience."

How often do you guys switch? My table is rather small so it just fits my keyboard, mouse, and a cup of coffee next to my keyboard. It would be a hassle for me to switch keyboards as I would need to go behind the desk to unplug the keyboard and move it, etc. My GF thinks my reds are loud already, but tolerable, vs a rubber dome so she'd go insane when she stays over and hear me click away on my blues so I guess having a reds lying around is a good thing.

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 10:51:28 »
I don't own enough keyboards to have a rotation but I have blues at home and blacks at work. It's definitely nice to go back and forth between the two but if I owned anymore keyboards, I'd just be stressed out trying to rationalize owning multiple keyboards at home and trying to figure out a specific use for each one. It's not enough for me to just switch them out every now and then for preference. I don't know how people here do it.

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline tchuladdiass

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 11:02:43 »
I agree with the post above, just have each keyboard hooked up to a different computer.  So there is work computer, home family computer (Win XP), personal development machine (Linux), general purpose server (Linux), Media center machine, etc.  Not all have a quality keyboard -- as more are acquired, the current "best" one goes on my main workstation, and other cheap keyboards get cycled out (as spares).

Offline Horgath

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 11:20:54 »
1 Filco MX Brown @home
1 crappy Dell rubberdome @work :(

Searching for a TKL with german layout to replace the crappy Dell...^^
So, not enough keyboards to switch... :(

Offline Lin

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 11:56:06 »
I didn't find reds to be as light as some people state, i even wrote a topic to understand why. Maybe the difference in building or keycaps as i have a Leopold w/ reds and Quickfire w/ blues, i dunno. Other than that, i love both. I clearly see the smoothness of reds while gaming and the joy to type of blues if not for the noise. I don't want to let any of them go, so i'll switch from one another as time goes and i get used to them. It's my third day using mechanical keyboads.

About your GF complains to reds it's probably just a placebo effect after hearing the loudness of blues and as she now knows that both are from the same "kind". Reds are relatively quiet, at least Leopolds w/ reds.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 14:44:33 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 13:40:49 by davkol »

Offline Supertoaster

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 14:56:52 »
My BlackWidow is all I have. Along with the shells of my old keyboards which are both broken from failed cleaning attempts (Chex Mix, Soda, and Keyboards do NOT mix well together folks)

One of the old keyboards is a chiclet-lowprofile rubberdome that came with my Gateway (no brand). It was very soft touch and felt good on type on. But the C key was completely faded and W was starting to fade (after 2 -3 years of use). Keys had so much shine they would burn out your eyes. Requires 55g to push down.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41604[/ATTACH]

The other one is my older one which is a Logitech Classic 200 which requires the same force as MX Blacks to push (65g).
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41605[/ATTACH]

My mom has this 8 year Compaq rubber dome with low profile like design. Still feels like it did out of the box years ago.
Don't have a pic ATM but it's black with light grey flat keys
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:15:20 by Supertoaster »

Offline flyball

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:03:58 »
i dont. thats the beauty of alps
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline NeeGo

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:08:29 »
You keep your cup of coffee right next to the keyboard?

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:13:57 »
I was switching every couple days until I got my poker. Been sticking with it ever since. I have a USB extension Cable so I don't have to crawl under my desk.

Offline Magna224

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:21:57 »
I use MX Blacks and ALPS most often but now I am using some MX Blues too.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:31:48 »
I switch.. when I just feel like it. Could be an hour to 10days at most. Using Filco mx Brown as my main lately :) Great keyboard.
But not perfect...

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:35:12 »
I switch to a Cherry MX periodically then go right back to HHKB. Have to reaffirm my love for Topre sometimes.

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:41:47 »
I been switching a lot but I am 100% sure that I finally found the right switch for me. So for now I'm sticking to the topre 45g and I can't see myself changing to another anytime soon

As for mice... I've had 30+ different gaming mice and I think I will never be able to stick to one for too long

Offline Warduke

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 18:36:00 »
When I had my Unicomp and Rosewill, I would switch about once a week or so but after I got my QuickFire, things changed. The reason it's the one I use most now is the size factor. Tenkeyless is awesome!
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline spikeh

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 09:40:24 »
I belong in the group that owns as many as is functionally required; I have one for work and one for home. If I do buy new boards, try out switches and prefer it then I'd sell the ones that aren't needed anymore.

Then there are those who collect keyboards, especially old and odd ones. I'm going to presume that they (like collectors of other things) do not type on their collector keyboards as to keep the keyboards in a pristine condition. Wouldn't want shiny keys now...

For those in the middle, I have no idea how your hands handle switching between different switches of varying forces and feels on a regular basis!
Filco Majestouch 105 | IBM Model M SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 87

Offline Kamikaze K

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 09:45:31 »
Depends on my mood... Right now I'm typing on my Topre but I've been having this urge to swap back to my CM's Lately.  I do miss the cherry switch feel sometimes...
FILCO Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkeyless [Black]
DUCKY DK9008 Shining [Blue]
CM STORM Quickfire Rapid [Red]
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline zirb

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 10:08:35 »
Quote from: Horgath;524324
1 Filco MX Brown @home
1 crappy Dell rubberdome @work :(

Searching for a TKL with german layout to replace the crappy Dell...^^
So, not enough keyboards to switch... :(

ONE FILCO IS NOT ENOUGH!
I mean, why not buy a TKL Filco? Especially when you love the one you have already :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 February 2012, 10:10:48 by zirb »

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 10:13:52 »
I no longer switch. That is the beauty of Topre.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 10:45:29 »
Quote from: ripster;526716
Damn my keys are filthy dirty by no signs of shining.  In fact I got this weird reversed dirt with clean groove effect going on right now.

Sounds... Interesting.

I haven't been doing much switching lately: Ducky at home, Filco at work.
The Leo is in with my laptop and comes out whenever the laptop is going to be needed for more than five minutes.
My Model M is in pieces slowly being cleaned - currently waiting on the right tool to come in the mail to actually open it up. None of the 7/32 nut drivers I've got access to are the right shape to fit into the holes to get at the nuts. (inb4 nut-driving tools going in holes jokes)
My G80 is also in pieces. I've just now started sanding the housing down before I start painting it.
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline WiL11o6

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 05:20:11 »
I guess I'm not the only one that has the urge to switch around. Seems like the people who don't switch here are the ones that own Topres. I am curious now!

Offline Mayor Winters

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 08:00:37 »
Well I switch between keyboards when I feel like, but I usually return to me beloved IBM :>
The more keyboards we have, the more keyboards we want.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 08:14:11 »
Quote from: Lin;524362
I didn't find reds to be as light as some people state, i even wrote a topic to understand why. Maybe the difference in building or keycaps as i have a Leopold w/ reds and Quickfire w/ blues, i dunno.
About your GF complains to reds it's probably just a placebo effect after hearing the loudness of blues and as she now knows that both are from the same "kind". Reds are relatively quiet, at least Leopolds w/ reds.

I, too, did not find the Cherry MX Red to be as light as some have said. My coworker has a Rosewill with red (did I influence the purchase?) and I find them to be "heavier" than my Filco with brown. One possible explanation is the resistance drops on the brown once it's past the tactile point.

I don't think its a placebo effect. He is much much louder on his Cherry Red keyboard than I am on my Cherry Brown Filco.

As to how often I change keyboards, I used to do it a lot at the beginning, but now I usually go for quite a while before switching. At home, I use a Topre most of the time, and my Cherry G80-3000 for two weeks every four months. At work, I went a whole year with an AEK II, then about a month with an AEK. I have been on my Das for about a week now.

Offline Tony

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 08:43:32 »
1 Filco brown + 2 Choc mini at work
1 Filco brown + 1 Compaq MX 11800 at home.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline lootbag

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 08:50:49 »
Been using the HHKB for the past while... it's my only keyboard at the moment.
I plan to rotate in a Phantom keyboard with an HHKB layout once it is completed.
Also debating whether to go for an 87U or not... seems unnecessary when I love the HHKB layout already.
HHKB for portable and Phantom (HHKB layout) for home.

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 09:29:48 »
Bringing a keyboard in it's box in my small bag to work is rather troublesome
Thus, I switch them every 2 weeks or so.

As for the keyboards at home, a weekly rotation.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2012, 09:33:07 by kaiserreich »

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 09:30:04 »
Bringing a keyboard in it's box in my small bag is a lot of work.
Thus, I switch them every 2 weeks or so.

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 09:55:26 »
today is Monday and I'm using my Sunday keyboard :redface:

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 09:56:18 »
Quote from: kaiserreich;527952
That's the way to go!

My HHKB probably gets the most used though
Keyboardless

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 09:58:03 »
Realforce at work, Filco brown at home.

Offline WiL11o6

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 12:54:48 »
Update for fun :)

I originally had MX reds for a couple months and I got kind of bored with those so I bought a MX blue to try it out. I fell in love with blues for typing because the tactile feedback was a real plus vs the boring reds for typing. After typing on my blues for a week I got sort of bored of blues just because I know I have my reds lying around so I switched my blues back to reds. Feels like typing on a brand new board! These reds do feel awesome, it's so much lighter than the blues and feels like I am typing on clouds. I'm sure given another week, I'd be bored typing on reds and switch back to blues lol.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: How often do you guys switch out keyboards?
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:19:30 »
6 months.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 14:36:26 »
Almost never.

Even though it's a TKL, it does not fit in my backpack. So, i have to use a membrane keyboard and a flimsy HP UAE 92 at school, with no mousepad and this weird glossy feeling on the keys...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 21:54:37 »
6 months.

Necro older than 6 months :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 21:56:25 »
I usually will use one primarily for about two months then rotate. That being said, I am just now going back to MX after being on my hhkb for about 6 months. I have an hhkb pro 1 coming tomorrow and I assume I will be on that one for awhile.

Offline livewirerc

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 13:08:45 »
I pull out a few specific keyboards for certain games that work better on TLK or fullsize, but the vast majority of my keyboards are in the HHKB layout and have been programmed similarly enough that switching between them is only a matter of switch preference for the day. As it stands:

Tokyo60 - Halo true
Tokyo60 - Kailh box jade
Tokyo60 - Zealios 67g
HHKB Pro2 - 45gm Topre w/ Type S sliders/rings (the only stock board I own)
HHKB Pro2 - BKE Ultralights w/ Type S sliders/rings & Hasu controller
HHKB Pro2 - BKE Heavies w/ Silence-x rings & Hasu controller
HHKB Pro2 - BKE Lights, full thock mode & Hasu controller
HHKB BT - 55gm Topre w/ Type S sliders/rings

I have a smattering of other switches that I've used on the Tokyo60s (Cherry blue, black, red, white, clear, Kailh box white), but they don't get much use since I've settled on the three switches above. Once my 300 Holy Pandas show up, I expect they'll take the place of the trues.

Of the above, the HHKB BT with 55gm is my constant companion, and is typically in my backpack/pannier bag when I'm not actively typing on it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2019, 13:11:00 by livewirerc »