Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nordic Pine - Green Tea inspired, reasonable cost, high compatibility  (Read 34396 times)

Offline wilarseny

Hi folks,

After a couple months of work and waiting for renders, I'm happy to present GMK Nordic Pine:

More accurate color swatches:

Older versions of the set:

More

The original concept for GMK Nordic Pine was to make some combination of green tea and calm depths: a dark green/gray primary set, with bright green legends for contrast and visual "pop". The earlier versions of the set did not have enough contrast, however, so the current plan is to go forward with dark gray alpha legends and bright green mod legends, rather than a uniform legend color. One reason why we are posting this interest check now is to solicit feedback and suggestions for improving the alpha contrast. Our general feeling is that the contrast will be fine in person, but due to GMK's odd color presentation in the renders, the render doesn't accurately reflect the contrast that the set will have once produced. Still, any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

We also tentatively plan to add nordic layout compatibility with the next round of renders. This should not require any custom molds, and should add about $5-10 to the cost of the base set. We are about 90% on this, but will reevaluate and keep the thread updated as we learn more about this option. I am strongly of the opinion that, given GMK's relatively high MOQs compared to SP, breaking off compatibility keys into child kits is a poor option for this set. GMK Nordic Pine will thus consist of a single set, but with ample layout compatibility and a reasonable cost due to no custom legends, no custom colors, and the potential for a unique tax/shipping savings (details coming soon).

FAQ:

What layouts does GMK Nordic Pine support?

GMK Nordic Pine is designed to support the following layouts: standard (winkey)- 60%, TKL, and Fullsize; winkeyless, 65%, 75%, 1800, Whitefox (all), ISO, ISO-Nordic (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland), and FC660.

You'll note that some of these layouts do not currently have the proper keys in the render. We know that the FC660 extra left-shift and ISO-Nordic keys still need to be added. If there are any other additions that people want, please let us know in the thread.

We also do not plan to add support for other unique ISO layouts at this time, such as ISO-DE or ISO-FR. It's just too many keys and cost, and the unique "hook" of this GB is the nordic compatability to match the theming of the set. We are happy to support other group buys that include that compatability, but currently that will not be on the table for GMK Nordic Pine.

Why should we trust you to run this group buy?

You don't need to. I am working with LeandreN on the set, and he will be responsible for fulfillment and shipping. This arrangement may present some pricing advantages, especially for European buyers, due to tax and logistical reasons. We are still hammering out the details, so don't take this as set in stone. However, I am not planning to fulfill this set myself; I won't run it without a partnership with a vendor, both for trust reasons and for fulfillment speed reasons.

What will the set cost?

TBD, but we will announce this as soon as we know. Given the potential advantages involved in shipping within the EU, pricing should be competitive with the cheaper GMK sets produced recently for both EU and US buyers. Although the set is compatible with many layouts, there are not many extraneous keys or custom molds/colors increasing the price.

Is this set just for EU clackers?

No, it should be cheap for US buyers too. The shipping and tax advantage (**still to be confirmed**) refers to the shipment from GMK to Leandre. Fulfillment to US buyers will be of comparable cost to shipment from a US-based vendor. We are still discussing options, such as shipping untracked at a $7/set rough cost direct from EU, or shipping to a US-based proxy who will fulfill domestic orders, but our focus is cost, speed, and safety for the set. We will keep everyone updated as we know more.

Any other questions?

Please discuss below! I will add common/important questions to the OP.

Please also indicate if you would be interested in buying this set - a simple one-line comment is fine. Thanks GH!
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2016, 14:42:13 by wilarseny »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
I love it !

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Looks amazing!

Will this fit my backlit Pok3r with ErgoDox and Planck compatibility?

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
Looks amazing!

GMKs MOQ and price will make this set incompatible with the ErgoDox and Planck, but it will fit your Pok3r ;)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Looks amazing!

GMKs MOQ and price will make this set incompatible with the ErgoDox and Planck, but it will fit your Pok3r ;)

:rolleyes:

Offline joey

Why does LeandreN rent an AirBnB apartment in Germany for a month or two, while fulfilling the GB?

Offline Malenky

I'd prefer it if the green alpha keys were a beige or something, with green legends. Hard to tell though, with GMK render colours being so off. I might light it more if there was a full render using accurate colours.

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
ISO Green Tea has been on my "Wants" list for quite some time, super looking forward to this, especially the EU shipping. I would love to see some 3D renders on different size and colour (some sets clash with white boards pretty badly) keyboards.

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
FYI, a 1u key to go to the bottom left of the ISO enter key is missing.

Offline Tobi45

I'd have prefered brighter legends, but overall this set looks great and I'll be definitely in once it launches.
I always hated how nearly every single GMK set is X on white (at least for the alphas) and the only way to get some more colorfull keysets in Cherry(-like)-profile is to get something from SP, which are unreasonably expensive.

Is it possible to get a stylised pine (cone?) instead (or in addition) of the winkey? I feel like the tea-symbol (茶) made a huge difference in the appearance of the green-tea set and this set would profit from something similar as well.

Really looking forward to this, especially if there will be no customs for europeans! Thanks a lot for your efforts.

Offline geniekid

1) Feels like HHKB support should be here, especially with LeandreN co-running this. :))
2) Love the option for consistent F-keys colors. :thumb:

You'll note that some of these layouts do not currently have the proper keys in the render. We know that the FC660 extra left-shift and ISO-Nordic keys still need to be added. If there are any other additions that people want, please let us know in the thread.

Not sure if you are requesting us to say a) which keys are missing from the supported layouts you've listed or b) additional layouts we would like to see.  If the former, there are several keys missing for 1800 and 75% support in the render.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
I like the mods better but I'd probably buy the set.

I also dare to say that the arrows cluster should use the mods scheme.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Bigpock

great looking set for any fan on green on a black case

Offline wilarseny

Yea, there are alternate arrow keys in the mod color scheme below the set.

Not sure if you are requesting us to say a) which keys are missing from the supported layouts you've listed or b) additional layouts we would like to see.  If the former, there are several keys missing for 1800 and 75% support in the render.

Thanks, both actually. Which are missing for 1800? I'm aware of the missing ones for 75% and they'll be added.

2) Love the option for consistent F-keys colors. :thumb:

Dude, yea. That is a huge gripe I have with a lot of sets and any I design have the option for either color F5-F8.

I'd have prefered brighter legends, but overall this set looks great and I'll be definitely in once it launches.
I always hated how nearly every single GMK set is X on white (at least for the alphas) and the only way to get some more colorfull keysets in Cherry(-like)-profile is to get something from SP, which are unreasonably expensive.

Is it possible to get a stylised pine (cone?) instead (or in addition) of the winkey? I feel like the tea-symbol (茶) made a huge difference in the appearance of the green-tea set and this set would profit from something similar as well.

Really looking forward to this, especially if there will be no customs for europeans! Thanks a lot for your efforts.

I agree with the preference for brighter legends, but the only option to fix that would've been custom colors. The two greens that GMK have available as default colors are just a bit too close together, I think, and wouldn't contrast enough.

I'm not opposed to custom colors if there is enough interest for a set that looks more like the original KLE mockup - with a much darker green alpha background, lighter gray mod background, and brighter legends, but that would be a more expensive set, and I'm just not sure there's enough appetite to support that at a higher price. But please let me know if enough of y'all disagree!

Re: stylized pine cone - is this something others are interested in? We can do it, but it means a custom mold and thus more $$$. Not sure how much, but if there's enough interest I'll check with GMK.

I'd prefer it if the green alpha keys were a beige or something, with green legends. Hard to tell though, with GMK render colours being so off. I might light it more if there was a full render using accurate colours.

Yea, I have thought about doing that. If others feel the same we can request another render, but at this point I've gotten 3 from GMK, so I don't want to ask for a ton without knowing others' feelings on the set.

I have also thought about getting a 3rd party to do a full 3D render with more accurate colors, but wanted to see if there's some minimum of interest first before spending $ to do that. I do think a non-GMK render will show the color contrast a bit better. Not exactly sure why theirs are so off from their own swatches.

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2016, 14:48:44 by wilarseny »

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Definitely interested.

Offline Tobi45

I agree with the preference for brighter legends, but the only option to fix that would've been custom colors. The two greens that GMK have available as default colors are just a bit too close together, I think, and wouldn't contrast enough.
I didn't mean a brighter green, but rather a pure white or something like that, but that would make the set look a lot like green tea, so I understand if you're not up for it.
I'd prefer it if the green alpha keys were a beige or something,
That'd be a total dealbreaker for me.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects

Yea, there are alternate arrow keys in the mod color scheme below the set.
I must be blind.

Offline soilheart

Yea, I have thought about doing that. If others feel the same we can request another render, but at this point I've gotten 3 from GMK, so I don't want to ask for a ton without knowing others' feelings on the set.

I have also thought about getting a 3rd party to do a full 3D render with more accurate colors, but wanted to see if there's some minimum of interest first before spending $ to do that. I do think a non-GMK render will show the color contrast a bit better. Not exactly sure why theirs are so off from their own swatches.

I'm also not a fan of colored alphas, so I'd also prefer green on white/beige personally. I understand if you want to make something different and go with colored alphas though.

Ps. I love the N9/AE mods though, totally my style =D Ds.
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios
(Sold/retired - To be built)

Offline wilarseny

I'm also not a fan of colored alphas, so I'd also prefer green on white/beige personally. I understand if you want to make something different and go with colored alphas though.

Ps. I love the N9/AE mods though, totally my style =D Ds.

Yea, I could honestly go either way on the alphas direction - might be worth seeing the green on white/beige, at least, though I do agree with the sentiment earlier in the thread that there are too few GMK sets with colored alphas. Any green on white/beige would need to be sufficiently different from royal alpha.

One option, if there aren't enough people on one side or the other w/r/t the alphas - we could run the mod set separately. It does seem like the reception for those is better overall, between here and reddit. And they could be paired with royal alpha alphas as another alternate mod set for that kit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2016, 16:08:42 by wilarseny »

Offline geniekid

[SNIP]

Thanks, both actually. Which are missing for 1800? I'm aware of the missing ones for 75% and they'll be added.
[SNIP]

For full 1800 support you would need
  • R2 1x Numpad minus
  • R3 1x Numpad plus

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Just saw this on reddit & wanted to pop in & say I personally really like this set. The non uniform legends don't bother me, but I guess we'll have to wait & see what the community census is. Either way I would definitely be interested in picking up a set like this. I think it would look great on a KB with a black case like my Disco.  :thumb:

Offline WNovizar

Some suggestions:

1. Does AE to N7 F5 to F8 is necessary? usually it use the same colorway as modifier right?

2. For HHKB,  change 1u R1 Backspace to 1u R1 |\, add 1.5u Return or Delete keys and R1 1.75u shift with 1u Fn  for complete HHKB compatibility.

3. 75% compatibility (1u R2 PgUp, 1u R3 PgDn, and 1u R4 End)

4. Win98 logo, or at least, OS agnostic logo, like Code keys

Will buy at least 1 either way
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline joey

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

• R2 1x Numpad minus
  • R3 1x Numpad plus
R4 1u Numpad 0

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
omg........ i want

Offline Poostar

I would buy. Have a hyperfuse but i just think i will get them light colored caps dirty. I am a disgusting person

Offline zeltner

I'd be in for a set

Offline usopia

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
I like it as it is now, color wise that is. Going with green on beige mods is too much like the Royal TA buy for me and would make me not buy the set.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
Very interested.

I would love it if the "Ctrl" legends were changed to Control, and if the Ins and Del and Print legends were changed to Insert, Delete, and Print Sc. Would also love to see a r2 backspace, and r3 control added for HHKB like layout support, but its your set so choose whichever you prefer  ;D

Offline xiaodian317

Great Green.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
In +1
the N7 green matches well with AE green.

any chance to add 6U blank space? GMK have created the mould for 6U already.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2016, 19:40:35 by shower_king »

Offline ctrlX

Definitely into this! 😃😃😃

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Yea, I could honestly go either way on the alphas direction - might be worth seeing the green on white/beige, at least, though I do agree with the sentiment earlier in the thread that there are too few GMK sets with colored alphas. Any green on white/beige would need to be sufficiently different from royal alpha.

One option, if there aren't enough people on one side or the other w/r/t the alphas - we could run the mod set separately. It does seem like the reception for those is better overall, between here and reddit. And they could be paired with royal alpha alphas as another alternate mod set for that kit.

As the designer, of that set, I whole heartedly support the idea of a mod pack!

Offline tuco

Very nice, I'm if it happens!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Very interested.

I would love it if the "Ctrl" legends were changed to Control, and if the Ins and Del and Print legends were changed to Insert, Delete, and Print Sc. Would also love to see a r2 backspace, and r3 control added for HHKB like layout support, but its your set so choose whichever you prefer  ;D
This ^ (although Prt Sc instead of Print Sc, as I don't think GMK has the latter)

I couldn't buy the set without those changes, but would certainly buy it with them. Also, further to the changes suggested, I would suggested that you add "Sys Rq" and "Break" side printed legends in green to Prt Sc and Pause respectively.

Would also love to see scooped f/j keys.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline xixihaha2008

Please +1

Offline My_Thoughts

Im very interested in this, depending on the ISO-UK support.  Will wait and see what's included :)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Well, since we're suggesting, it doesn't hurt to ask for R5 bottom row.

Offline punkpc

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

• R2 1x Numpad minus
  • R3 1x Numpad plus
R4 1u Numpad 0

Yes I will need these caps also. 

Offline pomk

Where are the Nordic keys? This feels like GMK American Pine.  :(

Offline soilheart

meet

We also tentatively plan to add nordic layout compatibility with the next round of renders. This should not require any custom molds, and should add about $5-10 to the cost of the base set. We are about 90% on this, but will reevaluate and keep the thread updated as we learn more about this option. I am strongly of the opinion that, given GMK's relatively high MOQs compared to SP, breaking off compatibility keys into child kits is a poor option for this set. GMK Nordic Pine will thus consist of a single set, but with ample layout compatibility and a reasonable cost due to no custom legends, no custom colors, and the potential for a unique tax/shipping savings (details coming soon).

(Yeah, I missed it too at first).
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios

Offline billnye

• ability man
Very interested.

This ^ (although Prt Sc instead of Print Sc, as I don't think GMK has the latter)

I couldn't buy the set without those changes, but would certainly buy it with them. Also, further to the changes suggested, I would suggested that you add "Sys Rq" and "Break" side printed legends in green to Prt Sc and Pause respectively.

Would also love to see scooped f/j keys.
What he said.

I like the set a lot, great color choices :).

Offline pomk

meet

Ooh!

Will buy 2 sets :D

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
i'd be interested in nordic legends

Offline wilarseny

meet

Ooh!

Thanks soilheart - was about to post the same.

Thanks also all for the suggestions for additions. So far, the plans for the next set of renders include:

- Adding the missing 1800/75% keys

- Adding the missing extra shift for FC660

- Adding the missing nordic keys

- Adding the missing key next to iso enter

- Changing the ins/del/print/etc to their longer versions (Ctrl will likely stay the same - just personal preference, unless more folks would prefer the full Control)

- F/J will also definitely be scoops. I requested that originally, not sure why the render has bars.

The ones I'm not sure about are:

- Adding the HHKB compatability keys. Would users of that layout be ok w/ just the r1 pipe/backslash 1u and r2 backspace 1.5u keys, without the r3 control and r4 1.75u shift? I'm looking for places to pare down, and my general philosophy for layout compatibility is to prioritize profile/size compatibility over proper legends. I'd love to have HHKB compatibility in the set overall, but it might require some hard choices over full 1800 vs full hhkb to keep costs down. [Edit: the more I think about this this afternoon, the more I think I will look into adding all the requested HHKB-compatible keys. If anything I would guess there are more MX HHKB users than 1800, though of course if the costs are doable then we'd want to support both.]

- How would folks feel about losing the green-primary arrows, and shifting the dark-gray-primary arrows currently in the "extras" half of the render into the main set?

- Winkey - I also don't like the Win10 logo, but I think it is one of those things where a small percentage really object to it while most others are neutral or mildly in favor. Informal poll: would people prefer Win10, Win98, a custom logo (e.g. stylized pine tree - extra cost for custom mold), CODE, or blank?

Things I'm not planning to change for the next set of renders:

- Main color choices. On the one hand, I'm curious to see what the set would look like as kind of a "dolch-lite with bright green uniform legends" a la sky dolch, but most in the thread seem to support the colorscheme overall, so I think it will probably stand for now.

- R5 bottom row. Honestly I like it myself, have a BSP set with it and it feels great. But I'm wary of scaring people away with it, I'm not even sure GMK does R5 though of course cherry molds exist for it, and I'd like the mod keys especially to stay compatible with other GMK sets, none of which use R5.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 June 2016, 14:10:13 by wilarseny »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
- R5 bottom row. Honestly I like it myself, have a BSP set with it and it feels great. But I'm wary of scaring people away with it, I'm not even sure GMK does R5 though of course cherry molds exist for it, and I'd like the mod keys especially to stay compatible with other GMK sets, none of which use R5.
Thanks for taking it into consideration. If it's not gonna be in the main set, which I totally expect, at least, please, try and gather the interest for a child set.

Offline geniekid

More

meet

Ooh!

Thanks soilheart - was about to post the same.

Thanks also all for the suggestions for additions. So far, the plans for the next set of renders include:

- Adding the missing 1800/75% keys

- Adding the missing extra shift for FC660

- Adding the missing nordic keys

- Adding the missing key next to iso enter

- Changing the ins/del/print/etc to their longer versions (Ctrl will likely stay the same - just personal preference, unless more folks would prefer the full Control)

- F/J will also definitely be scoops. I requested that originally, not sure why the render has bars.

The ones I'm not sure about are:

- Adding the HHKB compatability keys. Would users of that layout be ok w/ just the r1 pipe/backslash 1u and r2 backspace 1.5u keys, without the r3 control and r4 1.75u shift? I'm looking for places to pare down, and my general philosophy for layout compatibility is to prioritize profile/size compatibility over proper legends. I'd love to have HHKB compatibility in the set overall, but it might require some hard choices over full 1800 vs full hhkb to keep costs down. [Edit: the more I think about this this afternoon, the more I think I will look into adding all the requested HHKB-compatible keys. If anything I would guess there are more MX HHKB users than 1800, though of course if the costs are doable then we'd want to support both.]

- How would folks feel about losing the green-primary arrows, and shifting the dark-gray-primary arrows currently in the "extras" half of the render into the main set?

- Winkey - I also don't like the Win10 logo, but I think it is one of those things where a small percentage really object to it while most others are neutral or mildly in favor. Informal poll: would people prefer Win10, Win98, a custom logo (e.g. stylized pine tree - extra cost for custom mold), CODE, or blank?

- Main color choices. On the one hand, I'm curious to see what the set would look like as kind of a "dolch-lite with bright green uniform legends" a la sky dolch, but most in the thread seem to support the colorscheme overall, so I think it will probably stand for now.

Sounds good.  Regarding HHKB compatibility, my personal opinion is R1 \| and R2 Del/Bksp is adequate.  One idea some other sets have done (notably Royal Alpha) was pad print additional legends either on the front or the side.  So R3 Caps Lock could have a front-printed Control, for example.  Some people like the aesthetic of the additional legends.  Some don't.

Offline soilheart

... oh no you didn't. Now I can't stop dreaming about lime dolch...

liiiimeeeeee dooooolch... mmmmm.

Offline Erysichthon

I'd certainly be in for a set

Offline braidn

I like the direction. The green alphas might be a little hard to make out in harsh light but count me interested overall.