geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?

<< < (5/550) > >>

swill:

--- Quote from: rowdy on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:13:05 ---
--- Quote from: esko997 on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:10:04 ---
--- Quote from: esko997 on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:08:48 ---
--- Quote from: hashbaz on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:06:43 ---Redhat at work, Windows at home.  If I did serious coding at home I would definitely have a linux install, but for browsing and chatting Windows does just fine.  In the past I've done dual boot setups with Ubuntu and Fedora at home and ended up never booting them.

--- End quote ---

Do you like Redhat? I could never get into it -- the way everything is organized in the file system has always really bugged me.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: rowdy on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:08:20 ---Ubuntu at the moment, but all new servers are created with CentOS and I'm trying to find excuses (and time0 to upgrade Ubuntu servers to CentOS.

--- End quote ---

Do you like CentOS. Have a few servers at work that use it but it drives me up a wall.

--- End quote ---

So far, yes.

So far I have one physical server running it, mostly just a file server.  And one VM with a few dev tools that I use for about 25% of my programming work.

What is it that drives you up the wall with CentOS?

--- End quote ---

CentOS is often considered to be the best for production machines. This is mainly because it is much slower to pick up recent software changes. This makes it more long term stable, but not having recent versions of software can sometimes be annoying. Eg: Python defaults to version 2.6 and yum depends on that version, so you can't upgrade the default python version or yum will break. There are ways around this, but this is the type of thing you have to deal with when using CentOS.

swill:

--- Quote from: Vibex on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:22:39 ---
--- Quote from: swill on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:20:14 ---What distro are you using that you have to compile everything? Most linux distro have better package managers than "modern" OSes.

--- End quote ---
Funtoo, it's a derivative of gentoo. It allows for optimized performance by only compiling the features of a program that you will actually use.

--- End quote ---

I thought I was crazy for using arch.  Thats Loco. :P

daerid:
Gentoo? psssshhh....

esko997:

--- Quote from: daerid on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:51:04 ---Gentoo? psssshhh....

Show Image

--- End quote ---

Lol, great strip. In all seriousness though, vim masterrace reporting in.

rowdy:

--- Quote from: esko997 on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:17:06 ---
--- Quote from: rowdy on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:13:05 ---
--- Quote from: esko997 on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:10:04 ---
--- Quote from: esko997 on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:08:48 ---
--- Quote from: hashbaz on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:06:43 ---Redhat at work, Windows at home.  If I did serious coding at home I would definitely have a linux install, but for browsing and chatting Windows does just fine.  In the past I've done dual boot setups with Ubuntu and Fedora at home and ended up never booting them.

--- End quote ---

Do you like Redhat? I could never get into it -- the way everything is organized in the file system has always really bugged me.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: rowdy on Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:08:20 ---Ubuntu at the moment, but all new servers are created with CentOS and I'm trying to find excuses (and time0 to upgrade Ubuntu servers to CentOS.

--- End quote ---

Do you like CentOS. Have a few servers at work that use it but it drives me up a wall.

--- End quote ---

So far, yes.

So far I have one physical server running it, mostly just a file server.  And one VM with a few dev tools that I use for about 25% of my programming work.

What is it that drives you up the wall with CentOS?

--- End quote ---

One example of my annoyence with CentOS is how they handle the network interfaces. I really like the /etc/network/interfaces file in Ubuntu. Everything in one place. In CentOS you have to go into that net-cfg folder, I think, something like that (network-scripts maybe?) and edit the different IPs, netmasks, etc for the interfaces. You then have to go to a seperate file and edit the gateway, broadcast. Like, I just dont understand why they did that, why not consolidate it all in one file? Its things like that that irritate me about CentOS. Just like, the whole file layout/hierarchy.

--- End quote ---

I haven't had to worry about that yet.  As long as you remember to check "initialise interfaces at startup" or something, LAN connectivity is enabled at boot time (it is strange that it is not enabled by default).

Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version