geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?

<< < (548/550) > >>

suicidal_orange:
Just as an update my crashing seems to have stopped, I've updated the system a couple of times but Firefox was not upgraded.  Strange but not going to complain

Correction - it just  crashed :(

iLLucionist:
Is it just me, or do other people also experience that Fedora often has kernel hangs? I suspect it is how NVIDIA is patched into stock kernel. Oftentimes when doing GPU intensive stuff OR Firefox, I have kernel hangs. It always starts with firefox locking up, then I cannot open terminals or do anything, and then the mouse freezes.

When I don't touch firefox for hours, but mostly stay in neovim or tmux in terminal (urxvt), it's fine. When I am in Firefox longer times, always a freeze at some moment.

Leslieann:
The FF bug I was seeing when highlighting/copying is an older bug that returned and was a result of libx11, not FF.

Only time I see FF crash otherwise is if I spent far too long on eternal scroll, specifically Reddit which is poorly coded.* My systems is pretty rock solid.

*Blame management for the typical "I don't care how, just get it done" attitude.

SBJ:
Wanted to try something fresh so switched one of my VMs from Ubuntu to Fedora.

Fedora went the windows route with their update system, I don't mind, works well.

I'm ashamed to say that I sold my Linux server - during this period where electricity just costs too much in my country I had to retire it.

Mandan:
at home:

1986-1996 DOS, beginning with IBM DOS 2.1, ending with DR-DOS 5, 4DOS command interpreter, DESQview multitasker, and QEMM memory manager

1996-1999 Windows 95, though the only Windows software I had was Netscape.  I ran all my DOS software in console windows.

2000-2011  Mandrake/Mandriva Linux, until it was discontinued

2011-2020  OpenSUSE Linux (KDE)

2020-present  KUbuntu

Not counting brief flings with IBM OS/2 1.3, Red Hat, and Debian.

I think KDE went seriously downhill when they did the rewrite between 3.10 and 4.0; it lost both features and stability.  In return, it got a bunch more eye candy cruft to seek out and turn off. 

at work:

I was a SCO sysadmin in the mid-90s.  IT's budget wouldn't stretch for more copies of SCO, so I set up a couple of Slackware servers with the SCO emulator package.  They ran just fine.

I'm retired and only have a couple of clients now; I have all their servers running OpenSUSE, some of them hosting Windows 10 servers in virtual machines, and some VNC terminals running Raspbian on Raspberry Pis. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version