Author Topic: [IC] IMP65-01 — 65% Keyboard With Built In Wrist Rest!  (Read 24378 times)

Offline imprevade

[IC] IMP65-01 — 65% Keyboard With Built In Wrist Rest!
« on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 18:37:18 »
159404-0

159406-1

159408-2

159410-3

159412-4

159414-5

The IMP65-01 has a unique floating design, built in wrist rest, and an acrylic diffuser for RGB underglow. The floating design allows for an eight degree angle, while keeping a thin look all the way to the back—without sacrificing weight or stability. The small profile in the front creates an illusion of impossible thinness from the user’s perspective. And with USB-C, you’ll never have to worry about plugging in your usb upside down again.

SPECS
  • designed by imprevade
  • CNC aluminum case
  • anodized finish
  • 65% plate/pcb
  • 8° angle
  • USB-C
  • acrylic diffuser base
  • rubber feet
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2017, 18:47:17 by imprevade »

Offline chancellorr

Re: [IC] IMP65-01 — 65% Keyboard With Built In Wrist Rest!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 18:41:35 »
This looks freaking sick! I love the built in wrist rest and the underglow. This will be great for the people who didn't get in on the M65-A.

I like the tapered bottom a lot.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:54:19 by chancellorr »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 18:57:13 »
Interesting concept. How much is it going to be? Is the design complete? Have you tried a built in wrist rest yourself before?

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:15:18 »
Reads the title of the thread: 'Hmm wrist rest nahh, not something I'm interested in but I'll have a look'

Looks at render: '**** sake there goes even more money'

Looks absolutely awesome dude, very interested. Curious about pricing and timeline as there is a lot of great stuff going on atm. Feel like I must buy this though.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:19:52 »
Definite interest

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:20:17 »
I like the design a lot.  Definitely interested, although there are quite a few 65% boards. 

Offline doooostin

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:23:55 »
Interested!
This is definitely the year of 65%s haha.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:34:01 »
Sighhh.. sign me up.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline imprevade

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:37:49 »
Interesting concept. How much is it going to be? Is the design complete? Have you tried a built in wrist rest yourself before?

Thanks! There's some details about the design that aren't complete, such as how it will fasten together. I wanted community feedback before I spend time modeling that stuff. One of the main reasons I decided to design a case like this is because I'm unhappy with the current selection of boards with built in wrist rests. I haven't tried one myself, but I do use a wrist rest. As far as cost goes, I have very little idea at this point. It will likely come in at somewhere near the average custom kit cost. I'm going to shop around on manufacturing and hopefully keep it as low as possible.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:54:37 by imprevade »

Offline imprevade

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:47:47 »
Reads the title of the thread: 'Hmm wrist rest nahh, not something I'm interested in but I'll have a look'

Looks absolutely awesome dude, very interested. Curious about pricing and timeline as there is a lot of great stuff going on atm. Feel like I must buy this though.

Haha! This made my night. Thanks man! As far as timeline goes, I'm not in a rush. I want to take my time making everything perfect, and possibly finding some partners to help me with the production and group buy. I'd really like to talk with someone already making 65% PCBs, and see if we can get them produced with USB-C ports instead.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 20:01:33 »
Damn that's pretty nice I like it.  Curious to see the price point.  Keep up the good work though.  :thumb:

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 20:29:10 »

Haha! This made my night. Thanks man! As far as timeline goes, I'm not in a rush. I want to take my time making everything perfect, and possibly finding some partners to help me with the production and group buy. I'd really like to talk with someone already making 65% PCBs, and see if we can get them produced with USB-C ports instead.

You might want to hit up RAMA, then, since the M65-A and the EXENT are both 65% boards.

Very interested in following this project, those renders are sick!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 20:33:58 »
Way too many 65% boards to go around as of late, that's coming from someone who loves and almost exclusively owns 65s. If this happens in like 6 months' time to a year, yea, the design is very nice.

Offline Data

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 20:36:35 »
Nice design.  Great renders.

Offline Perfex

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 21:00:32 »
 :eek:

Offline mrtncrls

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 21:06:32 »
Need a price but I'm so in!

Offline Tally810

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 21:55:07 »

Any reason in particular you want to use usb-c?

Offline maximm

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 00:58:22 »
Yes please!

Offline dragonfax

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 01:24:25 »
Looks like an 8-bit home computer from the 80s. please include a cartridge port, or tape drive.

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 01:27:01 by dragonfax »

Offline dragonfax

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 01:27:41 »
Don't get me wrong.. its bad-ass.

Offline Shados

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 03:03:45 »
If this had a trackpad, it would be half a laptop. Already pretty much looks that way from above :>.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 04:02:30 »
DAMN HOT

Offline wongie

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 05:59:06 »
So with the M65, Exent and now this I guess we'll have a thick, wide and tall trinity of premium 65% boards.

Next person to come up with a nice 65% will need to impress me by making a board with an extra physical 4th dimension.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 06:01:15 by wongie »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 06:08:21 »
So with the M65, Exent and now this I guess we'll have a thick, wide and tall trinity of premium 65% boards.

Next person to come up with a nice 65% will need to impress me by making a board with an extra physical 4th dimension.

****. Where does X65 and 910 fit in in your fourth dimension? :p

Thanks! There's some details about the design that aren't complete, such as how it will fasten together. I wanted community feedback before I spend time modeling that stuff. One of the main reasons I decided to design a case like this is because I'm unhappy with the current selection of boards with built in wrist rests. I haven't tried one myself, but I do use a wrist rest. As far as cost goes, I have very little idea at this point. It will likely come in at somewhere near the average custom kit cost. I'm going to shop around on manufacturing and hopefully keep it as low as possible.

That's a pretty major thing not to do, I wonder if you can keep the same dimensions overall?

I think with a lot of work, it can work and do well, but it's largely a concept to most people in my opinion. I look forward to how you move on with this project :)

Offline Data

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 06:41:32 »

Got you covered, BB.  If the 4th dimension is time, Imma take a 65% and put a clock in that *****.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 12:06:23 »
Neat concept and slick design, but wouldn't a thick slab of aluminium not lead to freezing hands when used as a wrist rest?

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 12:29:47 »
Neat concept and slick design, but wouldn't a thick slab of aluminium not lead to freezing hands when used as a wrist rest?

Unless they include a wrist warmer in the wrist-rest...

Offline imprevade

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 12:52:54 »
That's a pretty major thing not to do, I wonder if you can keep the same dimensions overall?

I think with a lot of work, it can work and do well, but it's largely a concept to most people in my opinion. I look forward to how you move on with this project :)

I'm not sure why you're so interested in putting this in a box. This is an interest check to find out if the project is worth moving forward or not. As far as the design is concerned, it's a matter of putting a few holes in it and calling it good. I wouldn't consider it a "major" thing to do—and that's not to say I haven't already though it through, because I have.

Like I said before, I'm not in a rush to start a group buy. There are many pieces to this puzzle that still need to come together, such as manufacturing, distributions, PCB sourcing, etc. I'll be working hard over the next few months to make sure I can achieve the lowest price possible while eventually delivering a solid product for everyone to enjoy. I hope you continue to follow along be excited about something that I truly feel will add value to this community.

That cold feel in your hands is actually coming from lack of circulation after sitting at the computer, hardly moving for hours on end.  :))

Right now, the plan is to actually have a cavity inside the rest, so that there's room for any mods you might want to do. (Bluetooth? Raspberry Pie?) However, if it costs significantly more, or causes me to have to mill the aluminum in two pieces, you might see that change to being a solid rest.

If you're worried about it though, just try out a macbook. It's really not much different than that.

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 13:10:01 »
...just try out a macbook. It's really not much different than that.

I don't think it will be an issue, but a MacBook uses the aluminum body as a heatsink to cool the internal components which creates a more level temperature across the body of it from the heat, at least in my experience with my Pro, the keyboard won't be heated in the same way

Offline imprevade

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 13:19:33 »
...just try out a macbook. It's really not much different than that.

I don't think it will be an issue, but a MacBook uses the aluminum body as a heatsink to cool the internal components which creates a more level temperature across the body of it from the heat, at least in my experience with my Pro, the keyboard won't be heated in the same way

Interesting point! I just can't wait to get rid of these Grifiti rests. Anything is better than the feel of these things.

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 14:17:23 »

Haha good to hear =]. For once not being in a rush is music to my ears, need a bit of time to accumulate some funds. Also more importantly it's good to hear you want to take the time to make it as good as it possibly can be. Yeh I'm down with usb-c, I find it kinda surprising that many peripherals etc still aren't using it tbh. As someone said previously Rama is definitely a good guy to try and have a chat with. Also I really don't think 'cold hands' is even remotely an issue.

Offline wongie

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 15:23:00 »

There are many pieces to this puzzle that still need to come together, such as manufacturing, distributions, PCB sourcing, etc.

If it's a PCB that supports split backspace like the JC65 and Exent I might as well just give you my wallet right now.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 15:50:33 »
I'm not a fan of small keyboards, but your post on reddit and now here definitely has my interest. I look forward to seeing how this develops.

Offline cumwagondeluxe

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 16:43:59 »
Way too many 65% boards to go around as of late, that's coming from someone who loves and almost exclusively owns 65s. If this happens in like 6 months' time to a year, yea, the design is very nice.

this tbh, i want off mr 65%s wild ride already and its only just february

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 16:59:28 »
I like the simple lines, and the minimal underglow. Great work  :thumb:

Also nice to see more interest in USB-C

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 17:13:35 »
Beautiful renders! Not a wrist rest user here, but peaked my interest regardless. Just curious, why USB-C? To me it seems the benefits of USB-C are: reversible, data transfer, power. I guess having the reversible connector would be nice, but custom cables with USB-C are pretty limited (if at all come to think of it) at the moment.

Offline chancellorr

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 17:22:17 »

There are many pieces to this puzzle that still need to come together, such as manufacturing, distributions, PCB sourcing, etc.

If it's a PCB that supports split backspace like the JC65 and Exent I might as well just give you my wallet right now.

I agree with this. I'm a huge fan of the split backspace, and it's a must have on all my boards going forward.

Offline speedemonv12

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 08:33:48 »
Okay this is beautiful.  I love how the underglow isn't too bright and in your face,  more of an accent that compliments the rest of the keyboard instead of overpowering it. 

I know you want to take your time,  but bring this to market so I can give you my money!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline krisst

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 12:34:48 »
This design looks good. Simple and tasteful. Personally not used to using keyboard with wrist rest. Unlike other designs, at least this design is making use of the "huge bezel" :))

Looking forward to more progress for this IC.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 10:54:56 »
Just wanted to say this looks awesome, and I am interested, but I hope it doesn't become a reality until later in the year since I've already spent a ton so far this year.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline speedemonv12

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 11:00:13 »
Just wanted to say this looks awesome, and I am interested, but I hope it doesn't become a reality until later in the year since I've already spent a ton so far this year.
Lol.  I'm with you on that. But I'll just sell the current boards for this.  I'm super excited about the project

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 12:41:43 »
Omg φ_φ

Just watend to take a quick look, but that clean design had me sold quicker then I'd like to admit...

Count me in! ;)

Offline sambarugh

• Megalixir
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 16:51:43 »
Yep, saw the first image and I'm in.

Offline SpareWalrus

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 22:07:26 »
So nice! Sign me up too! Great work, hoping this goes to GB stage.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 00:59:27 »
I don't know how many 65%s I need until I will be happy, but this one will be one of them. Looks great.  :thumb:

Offline Dylan

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 01:05:05 »
Really awesome, would get for sure

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 01:08:19 »
This is amazing. But ill bet cost is going to be insane :/.

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 21:09:11 »
Really neat idea, I wish there were more cases out there that resembled this for 60% boards.
9x HHKB's, Astro Norbaforce, Coffee Heavy Grail, Silver Digilog, FMJ 60, 2x HB60's

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 17:55:49 »
Any news on this mate?

Offline imprevade

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 20:53:47 »
Any news on this mate?

Working hard behind the scenes. I have to figure out the PCB before I can finalize a few design choices. I'm still looking into USB-C options, as well as considering Mini-USB. I actually just received word that one of my PCB samples was put in the mail today. I'll be sure to give an update once I've made some headway.