Author Topic: Suggestions For Portable Mini/Micro Computer/Keyboard Combo  (Read 12420 times)

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
Suggestions For Portable Mini/Micro Computer/Keyboard Combo
« on: Thu, 06 April 2023, 15:04:26 »
I'm in the market for one of those small, portable computer/kb combo unit things, kind of like an ARM or Orange Pi 800 or similar. But I look at that Pi 800 kb and just want to puke.
I want something I can easily carry from room to room, only needing to connect a monitor and/or mouse to, and preferably with Windows OS. I'll primarily be using it for writing. Why don't I just use a laptop, you ask? I LOATHE the UX of laptops, especially the compact, low-travel, next to zero response keyboards. :'( I can't do it.
What would be awesome is if one of you geekhackers could make a 65% or similarly small mechanical kb with a case large enough for a Rasp Pi board to fit in. :thumb:

Here is an Orange Pi 800 unboxing for anyone not familiar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJyRGnLPBe8&ab_channel=ExplainingComputers
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Suggestions For Portable Mini/Micro Computer/Keyboard Combo
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 April 2023, 18:04:37 »
Lenovo's Tiny series
M92p Tiny, M93p Tiny, etc... Available for pretty cheap and serves more more purpose.
Really small, and quite powerful, you can even fit a quad core Xeon in the M92p. There's also the Nucs and clones. I put these in offices all the time and know several people who use them as media players.

For a little more than the price of the Pi 800 you could put them in multiple rooms and not carry anything. Tie it all together with a Google Drive/One Drive/Dropbox or simply just a shared folder and you can edit in one room, save your work, walk to another room and pick up right where you left off. And you can use any screen/mouse/keyboard and resell or repurpose it easily enough later. Runs Windows, Linux, people have even run Mac on them.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline KiserDesigns

• Kiser Designs Store
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 April 2023, 15:41:25 »
It might be a bit pout of the budget, but you can put a Framework laptop motherboard into a custom 65% case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeYfKu9KlTg

You could likely do this with any sort of laptop motherboard, with the right modifications

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 April 2023, 06:16:54 »
It might be a bit pout of the budget, but you can put a Framework laptop motherboard into a custom 65% case.

You could likely do this with any sort of laptop motherboard, with the right modifications
i agree the framework is definitely over the budget and the budget but its definitely cool they only ship to us and canada though
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline smarmar

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 00:01:33 »
Lenovo's Tiny series
M92p Tiny, M93p Tiny, etc... Available for pretty cheap and serves more more purpose.
Really small, and quite powerful, you can even fit a quad core Xeon in the M92p. There's also the Nucs and clones. I put these in offices all the time and know several people who use them as media players.

For a little more than the price of the Pi 800 you could put them in multiple rooms and not carry anything. Tie it all together with a Google Drive/One Drive/Dropbox or simply just a shared folder and you can edit in one room, save your work, walk to another room and pick up right where you left off. And you can use any screen/mouse/keyboard and resell or repurpose it easily enough later. Runs Windows, Linux, people have even run Mac on them.
I was looking at the NUCs and they are rather slick as a full desktop replacement, but they're not really what I had in mind.

I already have 4 capable (and some not so capable) fullsize desktops that kinda serve that purpose. What I was looking for, more specifically, was something more like the Pi 800 or a custom keyboard case with some sweet mech caps.

This is more what I was describing. The one in the video might be too much work and/or budget but having a capable little 'puter inside a kick-ass mechanical kb chasis is more my goal. I wouldn't be taxing it out with high-end gaming, just basically using a writing program and web browsing, oh and maybe a music server.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline spippy71

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 08:32:23 »
The Framework was the only one I could find also. I think the end result would be a very thick PC if you put a PC motherboard on the bottom, and mechanical keyboard on top. A form factor like the old Commodore 64. A functional product for sure, but not very marketable to a large group of customers. Possibly could be successful in small numbers, but the cost per unit would be high.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 April 2023, 11:15:13 by spippy71 »

Offline smarmar

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 12:37:26 »
The Framework was the only one I could find also. I think the end result would be a very thick PC if you put a PC motherboard on the bottom, and mechanical keyboard on top. A form factor like the old Commodore 64. A functional product for sure, but not very marketable to a large group of customers. Possibly could be successful in small numbers, but the cost per unit would be high.
I'm ok with having a thick, C64-like unit. I really dig that old tech look. I haven't the intent on mass producing anything like this, just a one-off for me. That's why I mentioned having a competent (more competent than me, that is) geekhacker build a chassis under a mechanical kb that would fit a Raspberry Pi or similar brain. I don't need a full-size desktop mb, just something compact yet capable.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 14:26:16 »
I'm ok with having a thick, C64-like unit. I really dig that old tech look.
C64 eh?  You'd have to supply your own motherboard and components. The CPU would have to have integrated graphics.
https://myretrocomputer.com/product/c64x-barebones/
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 April 2023, 14:28:15 by Findecanor »

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 April 2023, 15:07:04 »
there is a guy on youtube who made a custom case for the framework if you look around the framework search results you might find it. he named it cj65 if that helps searching

Offline smarmar

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 19:29:30 »
I'm ok with having a thick, C64-like unit. I really dig that old tech look.
C64 eh?  You'd have to supply your own motherboard and components. The CPU would have to have integrated graphics.
https://myretrocomputer.com/product/c64x-barebones/
After considering all the components needed for that build, plus Windows OS, it's over budget. But, I could mount a beefy Raspberry Pi (well, beefy for Pi standards, anyway :p) for much much cheaper. And I could always upgrade later if I need to. The main draw for me is the kickass C64 case and keyboard.

there is a guy on youtube who made a custom case for the framework if you look around the framework search results you might find it. he named it cj65 if that helps searching
I couldn't find that specific build but I have seen others. I'm kind of excited about this.  :thumb:

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 23:28:34 »
there you go

Offline smarmar

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 April 2023, 13:23:06 »
Oh man, that's like the holy grail!  :)  Too bad it's a one-off, and so pricey to make.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 April 2023, 17:24:06 »
Oh man, that's like the holy grail!  :)  Too bad it's a one-off, and so pricey to make.
you can 3d print the case and plate or laser cut (it can be pretty cheap i think)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 10:42:02 »
Yeah you would have to source a main board and I can bet there is a slice on Thingiverse to print out a case - so in all, really not too pricey considering some of the boards out in the market **looking at you KeyCult**

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 13:24:55 »
You don't need a metal plate, you make the plate extra thick but clearance for the switches, makes for a pretty darn stiff plate if you're doing a smaller form factor. My printed 65% is on par with an off-the-shelf tkl in terms of flex, could be better but it's perfectly usable especially given the weight. And you don't need a pcb, just hand wire, though I'd recommend building it to hold hot swaps so you aren't soldering to switches.

That said I hate recommending people outsource 3d printing but if you do do small test runs of individual sections, that way you start to understand what can and can't be done as well as other things. In many ways it's like cnc however 3d printing also brings it's own challenges and specifics that you aren't going to be aware of such as infill vs perimeters (for strength and tone), tolerances, finish, materials, size limitations, material limitations...  A warning though, for you or who you hire, doing a 65% keyboard in one shot is not an easy print and few have the experience, skill and machine to do it, it won't fit a common home printer and only a few plastics are manageable at this scale. 
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline smarmar

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 May 2023, 12:40:27 »
Thanks for the great info, everyone. :thumb: