Author Topic: New Steelseries Mice  (Read 4430 times)

Offline itlnstln

New Steelseries Mice
« on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 12:57:39 »
http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/24/steelseries-adds-xai-and-kinzu-to-gaming-mouse-family/

Apparently, there is an LCD on the bottom.  For what purpose, I am not entirely sure.

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 14:04:28 »
The LCD's on the bottom? How useable is that?  I'd almost want the lower-end version for looks alone, except the scroll wheel isn't also black.

Hmm, after thinking about it, there's no other great place to put it. And you'd just flip it over in hand to check/set settings.

Offline Manyak

New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 14:17:33 »
If these actually feel the way I think they will from the picture they're perfect.

I also like that they're using textured plastic instead of some shiny surface that collects dirty sweat or a rubberish coating that wears off in 6 months.
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline Viett

New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 14:30:40 »
Apparently Gizmodo doesn't know the difference between a Euro and a USD. The Xai and Kinzu are 80 Euros ($113.60) and 35 Euros ($49.74) respectively. That means the Kinzu (optical) will probably sell for the same price as the Ikari optical.

I do like the shape of the mice over the Ikaris. Maybe if they were a bit cheaper I'd get one.
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 14:57:27 »
The Ikari is a great mouse, they are expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for. I wouldnt be interested in the Xai though - it lacks the contours of the Ikari (although that's understandable to make it ambidextrous) and it probably doesnt do anything that my Ikari doesnt do to justify the price tag.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 14:59:51 »
Quote from: Viett;104154
Apparently Gizmodo doesn't know the difference between a Euro and a USD.

Not like that would matter much, usually prices are about 1:1 anyway.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Manyak

New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 15:29:15 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;104163
Not like that would matter much, usually prices are about 1:1 anyway.

Yeah. The usual way to calculate the cost of computer parts between here and europe is that you take the american price, convert to euros, then add customs tax. Which ends up at approximately the same number, but in euros.
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 17:26:15 »
Quote from: Manyak;104174
Yeah. The usual way to calculate the cost of computer parts between here and europe is that you take the american price, convert to euros, then add customs tax. Which ends up at approximately the same number, but in euros.

Yeah, I can vouch for that alright...

Offline Viett

New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 17:32:45 »
In that case, $35 for a SteelSeries optical mouse doesn't seem so bad. I wouldn't even call that expensive, since good optical mice are usually around $20. When Newegg stocks these, I might look into getting one.
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 17:40:17 »
Apparently the optical versions of the Ikari were meant to be pretty crappy. Although I think that may have been down to lower build quality compared with the laser version. Would be worth reading into it when it comes out.

Offline o2dazone

New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 18:12:18 »
I really like the simple matte design and color. Not bad...for a mouse ;b

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 18:29:40 »
That's the problem... Ever since I got my Logitech Trackman Wheel, mice just seem so ineligant. It's a must for FPSs though.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 18:43:57 »
Why would someone pay $80 for a mouse like that? It isn't even ergonomic. My newest mouse is from 1996 and it works just fine.

Personally, I'm not a fan of gaming, but that's my own opinion. I just don't like spending a grand on some fancy shmancy computer with a bunch of blinding blue LEDS on the outside that sounds like a jet engine because it's got to cool a quad-core microprocessor and a graphics card that will be obsolete by next year.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline o2dazone

New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 19:00:32 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;104194
Why would someone pay $80 for a mouse like that? It isn't even ergonomic. My newest mouse is from 1996 and it works just fine.

Personally, I'm not a fan of gaming, but that's my own opinion. I just don't like spending a grand on some fancy shmancy computer with a bunch of blinding blue LEDS on the outside that sounds like a jet engine because it's got to cool a quad-core microprocessor and a graphics card that will be obsolete by next year.

Gaming, assuming you do it the right way, is a very cost effective hobby. I can't tell you how much money I saved when me and my wife moved into our first apartment. We sat around eating ramen, and playing World of Warcraft, hardly went out to see movies or any stuff like that. Sounds horrible, and it was...but we easily got by on the bare minimum. And never once were we so bored, we found ourselves making excuses to go see a new movie, eat at fancier restaurants, or go on trips out of town. If $1000 every 2 years is all it takes to hold my interest, then I'll gladly accept.

Edit: back on topic, buying a mouse like this is not gaming the right way, but like any hobby...you gotta pay to play (pun)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 19:13:49 »
The Ikari, their first mouse, is particularly comfortable, and would make a good mouse no matter what you use your PC for. 60 Euros for a mouse may be a bit much, but then again, considering the amount of people with multiple Topres, that isn't really a concern around here =P

Anyone else around here notice how completely boring mice are? Out of the four I have, I could quite easily live the rest of my life using two of them (Trackman Wheel and the Ikari) whereas with the keyboards I don't really have a clear favourite.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 19:49:13 »
What I mean is, once you have one that gives good accuracy and is comfortable to use, you're sorted. With keyboards, you can spend ages finding one that has just the right balance of resistance, tactility etc etc. Also, unlike keyboards, they seem to be improving as time goes on, as opposed to dis-improving at an astronomical rate...

Offline Manyak

New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 21:39:00 »
Quote from: ch_123;104220
What I mean is, once you have one that gives good accuracy and is comfortable to use, you're sorted. With keyboards, you can spend ages finding one that has just the right balance of resistance, tactility etc etc. Also, unlike keyboards, they seem to be improving as time goes on, as opposed to dis-improving at an astronomical rate...

Yeah, except so far the only mouse I find really comfortable is the very first optical mouse ever sold - the MS Intellimouse (same model as the MS Mouse 2.0). And if you move it fast it starts jittering in place instead of going across the screen like it's supposed to.
Currently Owned:

Offline itlnstln

New Steelseries Mice
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 08:18:28 »
Quote from: o2dazone;104207
Gaming, assuming you do it the right way, is a very cost effective hobby. I can't tell you how much money I saved when me and my wife moved into our first apartment. We sat around eating ramen, and playing World of Warcraft, hardly went out to see movies or any stuff like that. Sounds horrible, and it was...but we easily got by on the bare minimum. And never once were we so bored, we found ourselves making excuses to go see a new movie, eat at fancier restaurants, or go on trips out of town. If $1000 every 2 years is all it takes to hold my interest, then I'll gladly accept.

Edit: back on topic, buying a mouse like this is not gaming the right way, but like any hobby...you gotta pay to play (pun)

That's one of the reasons I have a fairly elaborate home theater. My GF and I can watch movies/TV in an environment where we can do what we want when we want (eat, drink, pee, whatever ;) ) for practically free. I am also starting to put together a game room for even more low-cost fun. Nothing beats watching a Blu-Ray on big, comfy theater seats with a bad-a*s sound system. The problem, though, is that we usually end up falling asleep in the theater.

Disc golf, my main hobby (sorry, it isn't keyboards), is another low-cost source of fun, and it's good excercise.