Author Topic: Scratch Build mini  (Read 41011 times)

Offline morffius

Scratch Build mini
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 02:00:47 »
This is amazing! I just jumped on the bandwagon with a Filco black and am already interested in modding. This would be ultimate. I love the progress and the teamwork here and all over this forum so far.  You can count me in for this custom board!

Offline Swede

Scratch Build mini
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 04:48:42 »
Wow!!
This is just amazing! I'm all over this board xD To bad it's in us layout, but this board is so awesome I want it anyway!
Any chance you might try a Eu layout in a later revision, if this is succesful?

Might seeing this wrong but, looks like you have to make completely new layout for Eu. Because the layout is so slimmed, I can't see a place for another key, maybe you have to cut into the enterkey to prevent that... or loose the arrow keys :/
Can't wait to see this board finished, it will be epic :D

Offline chimera15

Scratch Build mini
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 23:47:34 »
Finally got the blank pcb for this.  Was like a month lead time...  If I sell these I'm going to have to order a huge quantity or find faster source.  Still waiting on the caps.  Going to build a 3d model next.  Taking a 3d modeling course, so hopefully can do it for one of my projects.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Scratch Build mini
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 01:24:24 »
Thanks for showing the individual progressive steps and the thinking that goes into the decisions you make. That in itself is interesting and has transferable value. I've found it to be of great assistance with my silly stuff!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline chimera15

Scratch Build mini
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 20:39:18 »
Finished a cap render, well sort of finished, some places are still kind of rough I noticed after the render.

Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline rantenki

• http://armyofevilrobots.com/
Scratch Build mini
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 01:01:27 »
Quote from: chimera15;203774
Finally got the blank pcb for this.  Was like a month lead time...  If I sell these I'm going to have to order a huge quantity or find faster source.  Still waiting on the caps.  Going to build a 3d model next.  Taking a 3d modeling course, so hopefully can do it for one of my projects.

You may want to look at gold phoenix if you are doing multiple boards: http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz/special_price.php as they are the company that actually manufactures boards for BatchPCB/Sparkfun (don't let them know I told you that) ;)

Also, I don't know if you had a solution for the metal plate (so many posts), but you may want to look at http://bigbluesaw.com/ ,  who can waterjet cut steel/aluminum to very tight tolerances (not as much rounding in the corners).

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Scratch Build mini
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 11:26:01 »
Quote from: chimera15;205488
Finished a cap render, well sort of finished, some places are still kind of rough I noticed after the render.

Show Image

That might be something with anti-aliasing.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline chimera15

Scratch Build mini
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 17 August 2010, 12:24:49 »
Finally got the caps.  3 steps left to get a fully produced keyboard.  Plate, pcb, case.

I think the caps look pretty good.  They'll definitely work if I can get working plate dimensions.  At least now I have the end point of my design so I'm not up in the air if the final dimensions are correct or not.  Unfortunately I'm really busy with school right now.  I'm not sure when I'll have the time to find out a way to produce the plate.  I also need to get a laser printer to try to work on the pcb, but low on funds.
Alps boards:

Offline dmw

• http://humblehacker.com
Scratch Build mini
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 17 August 2010, 12:46:55 »
Exciting!  Doesn't it make you want to just drop everything to work on your keyboard?  I was in a pretty similar position as you when I started on my keyboard.  I was in school, and I found it difficult to study when I really wanted to work on the board.  

Looking forward to future updates - whenever you're able to get back to it.

Offline clee

Scratch Build mini
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 17 August 2010, 16:47:27 »
Damn, dude. My hat's off to you, this is truly awesome stuff.

I wonder if anybody even makes scooped aluminum keycaps. I'd like to try something like that.

Offline cirthix

Scratch Build mini
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 01:49:34 »
Just get a PCB made.  33 bucks (~50 shipped) will get you a 2layer board from 4pcb/advancedpcb if you're a student.  good quality, good turnaround, good prices.  I've used them for projects a few times and recommend them.

As for layout, get the altium designer trial edition.  fully featured for 30 days.

Offline WhiteRice

Scratch Build mini
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 06:33:36 »
Quote from: cirthix;219783
Just get a PCB made.  33 bucks (~50 shipped) will get you a 2layer board from 4pcb/advancedpcb if you're a student.  good quality, good turnaround, good prices.  I've used them for projects a few times and recommend them.

As for layout, get the altium designer trial edition.  fully featured for 30 days.
This was exactly what I was looking for. Good to know if I ever make my own.

Offline didjamatic

Scratch Build mini
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 08:53:06 »
This looks great Chimera.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline chimera15

Scratch Build mini
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 10:59:56 »
Quote from: cirthix;219783

Hmm I'll look them up.  This is my next project and I'm so close on it.  All I really need to have a functional keyboard is the plate and pcb.  The case may be a big hurdle, but the keyboard would be working  if I could just get the pcb and plate. I could make the case out of cardboard if I had to.
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

Scratch Build mini
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 04:51:25 »
Trying to work on this project again.  Still looking for an economical way to cut square holes in aluminum.  Found this page.  

http://makezine.com/extras/15.html

The greenlee die looks like the best method.  I need to find one for around or less than $100 though that's 14mm.   Might be tough.

Yup, no luck finding one that's 14mm...  I don't think the hole for cherry switches have a good inch comparison?  They're like .55 inches or so?

The other method is possibly the Whitney punch, but again 14mm may be a problem.  I may call Whitney to see if they have any suggestions.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 November 2010, 05:49:54 by chimera15 »
Alps boards: