Author Topic: [IC] Boston, a compact 120% (open-source; RNDKBD is doing a metal GB)  (Read 184243 times)

Offline Technofrikus

Re: [IC] Boston, a compact 120% (now with Vial)
« Reply #250 on: Sat, 02 October 2021, 04:34:14 »
I tried changing the overhang to a seam and I actually liked how it looked. Definitely appreciate your suggestion! I will probably incorporate this into the final design.

This is how the metal version is looking right now - I played around with different side/bottom profiles and ended up liking this one.     

Wow, looks really good! Very glad my input was of value :)

And thanks for the detailed explanation regarding the small gap in the layout. The 1.5u shiftkey version would look perfect. But the kitting problem is a real one. So your solution is probably the best :) I agree with the badge, dont like them.

And great that you offer split spacebar! Love me a split :)

Offline Pylon

« Reply #251 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 23:20:18 »
Quick update:

• I finished the new PCB revision for the 3D-printed version. I also put together an initial draft of the ordering guide if you want to order parts for yourself. This has not been prototyped yet so order at your own risk. I plan to prototype the PCBs once I have the PCBs for the aluminum version done (the aluminum version now uses a daughterboard), hopefully later this month.
  • The vendor I am in talks with is getting around to building a 3D-printed Boston this week (this was heavily delayed). No other updates for a vendor running the 3D-printed version, but hopefully will have something soon to announce on this front.
  • Still working on the PCB for the aluminum version. The case is mostly done (and I have some quotes for the case). Trying to order this soon.

Offline Volny

« Reply #252 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 02:37:01 »
Just a heads up: If anyone wants one of these PCBs, you might be able to buy one from me in a while, if you don't want to have to order the MOQ of 5. I'm pretty keen on this keyboard so I'm probably going to order for myself. If so, I'll probably keep one as a backup, which will leave me with 3 that I can sell. I would sell them at cost, plus postage (from Australia).

This won't include the 3D-printed case, but only the PCB and its related items (plate, bottom map panel, bumpon holders). I'll probably order everything as lead-free, and black, except for the PCBs themselves which I'll probably order as green (to make it easier to see traces). I'll get the PCB pre-assembled with diodes and all that, but it won't have the microprocessor, as these are still out of stock at JLPCB. You'll have to order one yourself from somewhere like Aliexpress, like I did, and drag-solder it onto the PCB yourself.

I haven't ordered anything yet, and I make no promises about when or whether I will. But just letting you guys know in case someone doesn't want to order 5 and doesn't mind waiting a bit. If/when I do make an order, then I'll post again here with confirmation and more precise info.

Offline Volny

« Reply #253 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 22:58:15 »
UPDATE: Sorry, all 3 spares have now been claimed.
 One person backed out so there's still 1 left. PM me if you want it.
All gone now.

I'll keep in touch with those 3 people via PM in the coming days/weeks, and I'll post here once I've received the PCBs from JLPCB to let you all know how it went. I can confirm that the ordering process itself was quite painless, thanks to Pylon's comprehensive guide.

OK, I've ordered 5 PCBs myself. I'll keep 2, so will be able to sell the remaining 3 to anyone who wants them. Though really just 2, as one person has already declared interest via PM last week, so I'm reserving one for that person. Update: all gone  -Actually, still 1 left

To be clear from the outset: I'm not a shop - I'm just a guy. I bought the keyboard for myself at the minimum quantity of 5, and want to offload the surplus to cover some of my costs (I'm not selling them at a profit but at cost, give or take a buck or two for rounding, including the cost of initial postage from JLPCB to me). I'm an honest guy, but I'm still just a guy. Once the PCBs arrive to me, I'll send them on to you asap, but don't expect frequent status updates, lightning-quick response times to PMs, or technical advice (I'm new at most of this stuff myself). I also won't accept any returns if something's not working. Pylon's ordering guide states that these have not been prototyped yet, and to buy at the purchaser's own risk - that risk applies to you just as it does to me!

Details below:

What is included: All FR4 parts only:
-PCB - the PCB will be assembled by the factory with SMT parts except the microcontroller and a fuse, which will both be missing (see below)
-Plate
-bottom (ie. city map) panel
-2x bumpon holders
....All the above are in Black lead-free HASL-RoHS finish.

What you'll need to source on your own:
-3D printed case
-All desired non-FR4 parts, as listed in Pylon's ordering guide, like screws, reset switch, rotary encoder, lock LEDs, etc.
-128kb STM32F072CB-series microcontroller. These are still out of stock at JLPCB so you'll need to buy one individually from somewhere like aliexpress (that's what I did) and drag-solder it to the PCB yourself. See Pylon's guide for compatible microcontrollers.
-A 1812L075PR resettable fuse. These are also out of stock, so you'll need to buy your own and solder it yourself, as with the microcontroller. I suspect this will be more trivial than the microcontroller, both in terms of cost and skill required. UPDATE: These are dirt cheap, so I ordered a few extras, and will throw one in with your package. You'll still need to solder it yourself though.

When:

-I've ordered these today, and JLCB estimates that they'll arrive to me in Australia within 10 days. If I post with economy post to USA/Europe, it will supposedly take another 2-3 weeks. So hope for them in early December, but it's 2021, so expect delays.

Cost per PCB (incl. plate, bottom panel, bumpons):
to Australia: $75AUD incl. economy shipping
to US: $72USD incl. economy shipping
to Europe: 65EUR incl. economy shipping
to UK: 55 pounds incl. economy shipping
...for other countries and/or faster (and more expensive) shipping, PM me.

Payment method:
If you want one, and I still have one that's unclaimed, PM me. I'll then give you my paypal email. Once I've received payment (and once the PCBs arrive from JLPCB) I'll post it.

Finally, a massive thankyou to Pylon for putting in all this work so that we can get our hands on this wonderful keyboard :) :) :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 January 2022, 00:15:20 by Volny »

Offline windlabs

« Reply #254 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 02:56:39 »
nice board and keep good work

Offline Totoro

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 03:35:46 »
This is an interest check for a compact 120% keyboard I'm working on, with a layout inspired by the Driftmechanics Austin. This is the first custom keyboard I've designed, though I have a mechanical engineering background and have done other electronics projects before.

Show Image

The original post is a bit outdated - please see this update. I will update the original page when I have time.

There will be two case options - a CNC aluminum one, and a 3D-printed/FR4 one.

General Specifications:
  • 121-keys - full-size + 18 programmable keys
  • About 2u narrower than a regular full-size
  • Traditional 2x3 Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn nav block
  • Full-sized numpad with 2u "0" key
  • ISO, split-backspace, split 0, and numpad = key support (on universal plate)
  • Rotary encoder support, above the Esc key
  • USB-C
  • STM32F072 controller
  • QMK and Vial support (Vial is currently in beta)
  • Optional single-color LED backlight support
  • Single RGBLED to indicate layer status
  • Electrical schematic and firmware largely derived from the Austin. Case and PCB are different.

3D-printed/FR4 version:
  • 4-piece 3D-printed case, with FR4 bottom panel. STL and STEP files are available on the Github here if you want to print it yourself - you need a minimum 200 long x 150 wide x 210mm tall mm build area, which is achievable by many budget printers (e.g. Ender 3). Prototypes were printed on an Ender 3.
  • Colors depend on what color PLA/PLA+ filament I can have access to , but will probably be offering a variety of colors
  • Top mount (technically, though an unusual implementation of it)
  • FR4 plate only
  • 6.5° typing angle

Sound test of the 3D-printed/FR4 version (with Cherry MX Clears,spring ends lubed with Permatex dielectric grease, rails lubed with u/hbheroinbob's Loob-3g, and filmed with Deskey films. Stabilizers are C3Equalz. GMK Bingsu installed)

IC Form specifically for the 3D-printed version only

FCC 47 CFR § 2.803(c)(2)(iii) disclaimer:
This device has not been authorized in the United States as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased in the United States, until authorization is obtained.

Prototype pics of the 3D-printed/FR4 version (with OG Cherry WoB and GMK Neon RGBY mods)
(Attachment Link)
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

(the one on the left is an older aluminum prototype)
Show Image

CNC aluminum version

The design for the aluminum version is being reworked again - please see this update. I will update the specs below once that design is done, but the older specs are below:
  • 3-piece CNC aluminum case, with bottom brass weight (edit: due to the size of the keyboard it's more than heavy enough with everything made out of aluminum, so a brass bottom is unlikely at this point)
  • Top-mount
  • Knob will be underlit with an RGBLED, to indicate layer status (or whatever other purpose you want to use it for)
  • Tentatively intending to offer clear (silver) and black anodization, which were the two most requested colors. Dark gray was the third most requested color on the old IC form, and might also be offered.
  • Brass plate. This was by far the most popular requested plate material. I'll publish plate DXF files if people want to make plates using other materials.
  • 6.4° typing angle. 0° with the bottom weight removed (there will be bumpon cutouts for 0° if so desired.

Thanks everyone for filling out the IC Form on the aluminum version. I've gotten more than enough feedback on that one, so I took down the IC Form for the aluminum version.

I apologize for not having keycaps or fasteners, and for the generally rushed nature of the renders below. I'm not great with renders, and I've been very busy lately and would prefer to spend time either working on the design or the prototypes. I'll update these with prototype pics once it's built.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

With black mid and bottom pieces:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Pictures of the older aluminum case (this was an older design that put the controller on a separate PCB. This particular proto is also missing its RGB indicator light and its rotary encoder). I will not be running this:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

The layout for this was inspired by the Austin and also by the 7-row Thinkpad keyboard you find on Thinkpads of the T420 generation and older. The name is somewhat a pun off Austin since the layout is derived from it, and because I grew up (and currently live) near the city Boston, Massachusetts.

This project uses the open-source Acheron library from the Acheron project. KiCAD PCB files are available at my Github below. STL files and STEP files of the 3D-printed version are available here below under the CERN OHL-W (which is fairly permissive), and you are free to use the files to make one yourself. Unfortunately, due to arrangements I'm working out with my manufacturer and vendor, it is unlikely that the metal case will be open-sourced as originally planned.
https://github.com/bluepylons/Boston

Unfortunately,

Many thanks to Gondolindrim for the Acheron project and for feedback on the early PCBs, and to the designers of the Driftmechanics Austin (Driftingbunnies, PheonixStarr and Gondolindrim) from which this was derived. Also thank you to all 129 people that filled out the old IC form - your feedback was definitely appreciated. At this point I've collected more than enough data, so I took down the form.

MouserPounder made a signature graphic if people want to put these in their signatures (this has a picture of the older prototype)

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106501.0][img width=304 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/LYOA5Fp.jpg[/img][/url]
(post revisions)
May 20, 2020 - Initial post
May 20, 2020 - Replaced renders with ones that accurately depict the seam in the middle
May 29, 2020 - Moved F-keys over rightward slightly. Bottom weight is now aluminum instead of brass as the keyboard is pretty heavy to begin with.
June 2, 2020 - Corrected some references to the Austin
June 19, 2020 - Added pictures of prototype (without LEDs or rotary encoder installed)
June 20, 2020 - Added signature link that MousePounder made 
July 4, 2020 - Updated signature link
July 12, 2020 - Reorganized feature list, added plate files to Github
August 16, 2020 - Shortened title
September 3, 2020 - Revised post significantly. Removed a lot of outdated info. Added pictures of the 3D-printed version
September 5, 2020 - Fixed required build area to 3D print the case (I overstated the necessary build area). Added some rough tentative pricing for the 3D-printed version. Added IC Form for 3D-printed version.
October 12, 2020 - Added sound test of the 3D-printed version.
January 25, 2021 - Some minor edits, added top pictures of the 3D printed version
February 5, 2021 - Updated the IC in general, removed a lot of out-of-date info. Changed license to CERN OHL-W.
March 27, 2021 - Removed prices
April 11, 2021 - Added FCC disclaimer

gooood

Offline Pylon

« Reply #256 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 21:20:48 »
Thanks Volny for taking the plunge! Let me know how it goes!

Various updates:
  • On V0.6J - on the original guide, chip U702 (the linear regulator that converts 5V to 3.3V for the STM32 chip) was specified as AMS1117-3.3. Unfortunately, my friend pointed out that the ESR on the output capacitors may be too low for the voltage regulator's output to be stable (the datasheet says to use a tantalum capacitor, which has much higher ESR than the ceramic capacitors I used). This might still work fine (Austin makes a similar mistake and works ok, and I also built a prototype Boston with a similar mistake, and that board is being used to type this post). However, if you run into issues, I would recommend swapping U702 out for TI's TLV1117LV33DCYR, TLV1117LV33DCYT, or Diode Inc's AP7361C-33ER-13, which are stable with the low-ESR ceramic capacitors used on the design. The ordering guide and the BOM files have been updated and now specifies TI's TLV1117LV33DCYR for U702. Sorry about this.
  • I received a prototype case from SuNPe, in raw unfinished aluminum. I still haven't sent out the PCB or plate order though as I'm wrapping up a few things on the design, so I'm still at least 2 weeks out on those parts. I unfortunately have various issues with the quality of this prototype (the top is about 0.5mm longer than the bottom despite matching in CAD, and although raw aluminum is quite soft and easily scratched, the number of scratches overall is pretty concerning in terms of how they might be handling the cases, which would not be acceptable in a group buy). I was hoping to offer a raw aluminum option, but seeing how scuffed it is that is unlikely without some major waivers/disclaimers.
  • As mentioned, still wrapping up design on the metal version's PCB, plate, and daughterboard. The daughterboard is compatible with the C3 Universal Daughterboard (same footprint, pinouts, etc.), though I'm making some minor tweaks to try to get better EMI performance (in case I need to run this through FCC or CE emissions testing).
  • No updates from the vendor on a GB for the 3DP version unfortunately

Pics of the case:
278411-0
278413-1
278415-2
278417-3
278419-4
278421-5
278423-6

I'll be ordering a second prototype with a standard matte bead-blasted finish with anodization after I build this one up and get some time on it. I'm debating trying to laser etch the map of Boston on the back of the metal one - this would be really nice, but I'm pretty worried about whether it'll come out well, and it would add cost and be another item to QC. I've seen some pretty good quality laser marks on other items I own (e.g. my Motu M2 audio interface's items are all lasered, and the quality is excellent), but am not sure how to replicate it.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #257 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 21:25:49 »
(forgot to post a pic from the front)
278425-0

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 21:42:57 »
I would honestly like a raw machined finish

Offline NP3

« Reply #259 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 23:38:02 »
This is pretty sick! Looking forward to this one, looking good.

Offline Jaygles

« Reply #260 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 07:48:05 »
Looks slick

Would the feet be easily replaceable?

Offline Realdrian

« Reply #261 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 12:58:54 »
I would honestly like a raw machined finish

Same here! it looks so nice! I wouldn't mind any scuffs. Wow I love it

Offline Volny

« Reply #262 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 17:34:39 »
My PCBs have shipped to me, and should be here hopefully in a few days. I'll upload a photo when they arrive. JLCPCB contacted me to warn me that they can't guarantee that the map won't have aesthetic flaws.

I've also ordered some replacement voltage regulators, as mentioned in Pylon's above post, so will throw one in to the PCBs I send.

Still one left!

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #263 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 21:03:18 »
Can't tell you how excited I am to see you are making progress, keep up the great work.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #264 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 23:26:12 »
Thanks for the support everyone!

I also really like raw machined aluminum in general. It might end up as an option if I can have the manufacturer handle it better, and likely with a disclaimer that you will accept the risk of your case arriving with scratches. I also could look into anodizing over raw aluminum, though it won't end up as shiny with anodizing over it.

Would the feet be easily replaceable?

They're standard adhesive rubber feet.

Also as a shoutout - GMK Relegendables+ is currently in group buy, and is an excellent option for filling out the 18 extra macro keys on Boston, as they're all R1 profile and work great on the second F-row. I have relegendable keys on many of the photos of the prototypes shown, and the ones the GB are for identical caps. (I got my current set of black relegendables off an old Cherry G80-8200HUAUS-2 board).

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #265 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 04:23:15 »

Good point on the relegendables.  I've been intending to use all that real estate for novelties and artisans, nevertheless it would be good to have some relegendables on hand.

Offline scapegoat4

• Mega lurker
« Reply #266 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 03:51:04 »
This is a sick project. I'm not someone who'd use a board with a layout like this but I've sent it over to a few of my friends who are def interested. Hopefully all goes well in the coming months with all the prototyping!

Offline jivex5k

« Reply #267 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 04:36:39 »
Extremely interested in this.

Offline lllchevy350lll

« Reply #268 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 09:48:16 »
any update on a metal case version? i really like the 3d printed version, but a nice premium aluminum case would only make this better.

Also, as mentioned above, what is the light for next to the rotary encoder?

Offline neru

« Reply #269 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 10:26:20 »
May I ask how much did you pay for prototyping the CNC alu case, I am interested in this board, let me know the price since I would love to make the alu case. Though if it is out of my budget, I could still do the 3d printed one.  ;D ;D

Offline Pylon

« Reply #270 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 22:32:44 »
any update on a metal case version? i really like the 3d printed version, but a nice premium aluminum case would only make this better.

Sorry I still need to send out the PCB order for the metal version PCBs and FR4 plates. I keep catching small details on the PCB and plate that were missed that needed correction, which was what I spent last week doing, and am going to run final checks this week (hopefully nothing else turns up).

Also, as mentioned above, what is the light for next to the rotary encoder?

It's an RGBLED - it's currently a layer indicator (which is implemented in the default firmware but required some custom QMK code) in case people want to run the macro keys on different layers and have an indicator of what layer they're set to, but other than that I have not used it for anything else.

May I ask how much did you pay for prototyping the CNC alu case, I am interested in this board, let me know the price since I would love to make the alu case. Though if it is out of my budget, I could still do the 3d printed one.  ;D ;D

The proto case was run through SuNPe and cost me about $470 after shipping and fees. There's some minor quality issues (e.g. use of ball end mill passes for the 45° chamfers, and some tolerancing issues) that I need to resolve, and I would like an anodized prototype at some point, so I will be getting a second proto after I assemble and use the first one.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 November 2021, 22:35:23 by Pylon »

Offline neru

« Reply #271 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 06:05:35 »
Thank you for the reply, I guess I will do the 3d printed one haha, one last thing, is the 3d printed one heavy ? I could leave some coins inside in the event of it being kinda light.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 07:14:13 »
My 3D printed one weighs 1.1kg fully built (with switches and keycaps). Printed with 3 layers and 20% triangular infill.

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #273 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 08:27:35 »
Hello pylon, would you consider also adding a 100% standard layout version, if this project goes on?

Currently there is no option to purchase a full layout keyboard with qmk, except maybe from GON.

Thanks for considering  this.

Offline lllchevy350lll

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 22:42:38 »
appreciate the response Pylon! Cant wait to get my hands on an aluminum boston. will be keeping an eye on this for sure

Offline Pylon

« Reply #275 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 09:43:31 »
Unfortunately the PCBs and prototype will likely be delayed as I fractured my right arm in a bike crash. I'm going to see how well I can solder with my left hand, but it may be delayed several weeks until things heal up.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #276 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 09:49:01 »
Hello pylon, would you consider also adding a 100% standard layout version, if this project goes on?

Pretty unlikely as I'm busy with a couple of other projects right now.

Have you checked out the Dino104? There's also the Austin, though that's not a traditional full size. There's also QMK-compatible controller replacements (e.g. Black Petal) for some Filco and Rosewill full-sized boards. There's also open-source replacement PCBs for the G80-3000, and there's also the NKBM-ST110r2.1 replacement PCB for Filcos and Rosewills (though that requires working with text-only QMK)

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #277 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 10:27:34 »
Thanks, I didn't know about those option. The dino is impressive. A real beast.   :)) :)) :)) :))

Pretty unlikely as I'm busy with a couple of other projects right now.

Have you checked out the Dino104? There's also the Austin, though that's not a traditional full size. There's also QMK-compatible controller replacements (e.g. Black Petal) for some Filco and Rosewill full-sized boards. There's also open-source replacement PCBs for the G80-3000, and there's also the NKBM-ST110r2.1 replacement PCB for Filcos and Rosewills (though that requires working with text-only QMK)

Offline Technofrikus

« Reply #278 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 10:31:32 »
Unfortunately the PCBs and prototype will likely be delayed as I fractured my right arm in a bike crash. I'm going to see how well I can solder with my left hand, but it may be delayed several weeks until things heal up.
Damn! That sucks get well soon!

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #279 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 10:51:08 »
Very sorry for your accident too. Just think that if your prototype keyboard had fallen on your feet, the damage would be greater than what you're suffering now  :)) :))

Offline Volny

« Reply #280 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 06:45:12 »
I've built my Boston now using the parts I bought from JLCPCB (also, all my spares have now been snatched up by other users), and it's terrific. I won't defile Pylon's thread with any photos yet, because my 3D printed case hasn't arrived yet so it's currently just the naked keyboard sitting on a piece of cardboard! But I've soldered it (all hotswappable with millmax sockets - not cheap, but boy does it make life easier!), set up the QMK, and am using it happily. It's easily the best keyboard I've ever used, though that statement is a no-brainer, because keyboards are all about functionality for me, and the Boston objectively has the most functionality of any keyboard I've used. I've been excited for this keyboard for a long time now. I'd actually been working on my keycap layout, switch selection and QMK firmware for months already! (By the way, 1.25u keys work really nicely for the nav cluster trio). The Boston was my birthday present, and a very successful birthday present it has been indeed!

My main criticism of the design, and it's a fairly minor criticism, is that I wish that the gap between the top 2 rows and the rest was 0.25u instead of 0.5u. Many 100% keyboards use a 0.25u gap here, so an extra-wide 0.5u gap seems a pity on a keyboard that already contains an extra back row that must be reached. Actually, this turned out to be much less of a problem than I feared it would be, although I have long fingers so others may feel the gap more.

The placement of the 3 indicator LEDs seems a strange design decision to me. When I saw that one of them was directly above numlock and one was directly below scrolllock, I naturally assumed that those 2 LEDs would correspond to those keys, with the 3rd (leftmost, hence closest to the alpha keys...) LED corresponding to capslock. Yet the way they're setup in the default firmware (and physically marked on the PCB) is different: the LED next to numlock is for scrolllock, the LED below scrolllock is for capslock, and the leftmost LED is for numlock. This feels unintuitive to me. It's not a big deal though, as you can swap them around in QMK if it bothers you. I personally don't even use those LEDs, as I don't use the scrolllock function, I've eradicated all numlock functionality from my system (I got sick of certain programs always switching numlock without my permission so replaced it with a customised numlock-like layer in QMK that those programs can no longer touch), and I've programmed QMK to display the capslock status on the RGB light anyway. That RGB light is great. It's in a good spot where it's conveniently visible but unobtrusive. Apart from capslock, I also use it to show when certain layers are active or when a dynamic macro is being recorded.

Once everything added up, buying the parts at JLCPCB ended up more expensive than I initially expected. But the process of ordering the parts itself was painless, largely due to Pylon's excellent instructions. Pylon's thoughtfulness comes through in other areas, too, such as the helpful markings on the PCB. For example, little arrows guide you to where to put switches/stabs for the myriad variations (eg. 1.5u ctrl vs 1.25 ctrl, or 6.25u spacebar vs 7u spacebar), which makes the installation process less error-prone.

JLCPCB is/was sold out of the MCU, so I had to buy the MCU separately on Aliexpress and drag-solder it in myself. To others who are new to drag-soldering MCUs like I was, my advice is to make sure you have good magnification! I wrecked my first MCU because I thought I could adequately see what I was doing, but I was wrong. On my first attempt, I used a desk-clamp magnifier that's more than enough for soldering switches, diodes etc. But the MCU is so tiny that it was still pretty hard to line up the pins correctly and spot soldering errors. After reworking the soldering job too many times, I ended up bending the pins all over the place and eventually snapping one off. So I had to order another MCU, and this time I also bought a better magnifier. Nothing fancy - just this $30 one. It only provides slightly more magnification than what I already had, but that slight increase made all the difference. Lining up the second MCU was a breeze, and I immediately realised how limited my visibility had been the first time. When you can properly see what you're doing, drag-soldering is pretty easy, with the flux doing most of the work for you. Remember to use a very light touch lest you bend the pins.

I'm finding the layout to be great. As I mentioned, I'm using 1.25u keys for the nav cluster trio, which I've mapped to HOME, END, and DEL. Not only do the 1.25u keys fit very well aesthetically in this area, but the increased size makes them very comfortable to hit with your pinky. I use DEL a lot, and using a 1.25u version feels like this is how big it should always have been. The little 0.25u gap around the arrow keys is excellent too. I was initially sceptical whether such a small gap would isolate the arrow keys sufficiently (compared to a 100% style keyboard where the arrows live in their own separate spot), but I'm finding the 0.25u gap to be perfectly adequate. My fingers gravitate to and locate the arrows effortlessly, even though my muscle memory has never experienced this exact layout before.

Thanks again Pylon for this awesome workhorse of a keyboard, and I hope your arm heals quickly!

Offline highdocc

« Reply #281 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 07:08:05 »
this looks so good :D

Offline menuhin

« Reply #282 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 05:19:20 »
Thanks Volny for taking the plunge! Let me know how it goes!

Various updates:
More
  • I received a prototype case from SuNPe, in raw unfinished aluminum. I still haven't sent out the PCB or plate order though as I'm wrapping up a few things on the design, so I'm still at least 2 weeks out on those parts. I unfortunately have various issues with the quality of this prototype (the top is about 0.5mm longer than the bottom despite matching in CAD, and although raw aluminum is quite soft and easily scratched, the number of scratches overall is pretty concerning in terms of how they might be handling the cases, which would not be acceptable in a group buy). I was hoping to offer a raw aluminum option, but seeing how scuffed it is that is unlikely without some major waivers/disclaimers.
  • As mentioned, still wrapping up design on the metal version's PCB, plate, and daughterboard. The daughterboard is compatible with the C3 Universal Daughterboard (same footprint, pinouts, etc.), though I'm making some minor tweaks to try to get better EMI performance (in case I need to run this through FCC or CE emissions testing).

Pics of the case:

(Attachment Link)

I'll be ordering a second prototype with a standard matte bead-blasted finish with anodization after I build this one up and get some time on it. I'm debating trying to laser etch the map of Boston on the back of the metal one - this would be really nice, but I'm pretty worried about whether it'll come out well, and it would add cost and be another item to QC. I've seen some pretty good quality laser marks on other items I own (e.g. my Motu M2 audio interface's items are all lasered, and the quality is excellent), but am not sure how to replicate it.

Is this prototype different from the original open-sourced design? Or has the open-sourced design also be updated?
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 December 2021, 10:38:02 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Crabby

« Reply #283 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 14:19:07 »
I've had my PCB for over a year (lol) but due to real life issues I have not had a chance to put it together. Now I have everything, except for a few things (stabs/caps) I'm still waiting for in the mail. When I put it together I'll be sure to leave a testimonial here. Amazing project, can't wait to have it as my new daily driver.

Offline yukitoki

« Reply #284 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 17:23:13 »
Thank you Volny just got the pcb today ^^  :thumb:

Offline lllchevy350lll

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 12:34:38 »

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon! Happy holidays and happy new year from all us Boston lovers!

Offline Pylon

« Reply #286 on: Sat, 25 December 2021, 14:49:58 »
Thanks for the support everyone! My right arm is healing well, though I still have to wear a sling for at least a few more weeks.

Some minor updates:
* The PCB design for the metal version is done. I'm doing some unrelated work on my force curve meter's PCB, and will send the PCB prototype order out once that's done. Soldering the MCU might be tricky with the current state of my right arm, but I'll give it a shot.
* The vendor that is interested in running the 3D printed version is currently unfortunately inundated with work right now, and I won't have an update from them until mid-late January
* Volny discovered an error in the QMK files where the 1u + and 1u = buttons were reversed. This will only affect you if you aren't using 2u numpad +. I'm planning on taking a look at and fixing this later this weekend.

Offline iamtragic

« Reply #287 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 21:40:56 »
Looking forward to the completed metal version. I hope that your arm recovers rapidly.

Offline JucheCatgirlTS

« Reply #288 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 22:27:58 »
I really like the new metal case design, can't wait! I have a couple nice aluminum TKLs now but the Boston is still my everyday board at my home PC. I just swapped the U4Ts out for Cherry MX Blacks, here's a quick video to ring in the new year:

Offline schrobie

« Reply #289 on: Sun, 02 January 2022, 11:12:52 »
Wow, this thing is big. Has the price been hinted at anywhere? I love that you released the 3d printer files!

Offline Micktrinus

« Reply #290 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 13:48:35 »
Full size custom boards seem to be hard to come by...I am really interested in this project

Offline Pylon

« Reply #291 on: Sat, 15 January 2022, 16:38:12 »
After many delays, PCBs for the plate have finally been ordered for the updated metal version prototype  - I should be receiving them in 2 weeks. My right arm is well enough at this point that I shouldn't have issues soldering the proto - thanks for the support everyone!

I really like the new metal case design, can't wait! I have a couple nice aluminum TKLs now but the Boston is still my everyday board at my home PC. I just swapped the U4Ts out for Cherry MX Blacks, here's a quick video to ring in the new year:

Oh nice! Thanks for doing the sound test. I like the various flag color schemes you got going.

Wow, this thing is big. Has the price been hinted at anywhere? I love that you released the 3d printer files!

Unfortunately for the metal one it's probably going to be on the higher end as it's a huge board. Probably at least $400, but I don't have final numbers yet - I still need to choose a final manufacturers and get more quotes for this. SuNPe for the proto was relatively cheap, but I'm somewhat concerned about the quality from them given how scratched the proto was and from other reports about them. I have quotes from Dadesin, but their quote was pretty high (almost $200 higher than SuNPe in quantity 30), and with the current 25% tariffs it would be quite tough to do this for under $600 with them. However, their quality is pretty good (and a lot of keyboard GBs are run through them).

I should have better numbers once I test the prototype and get more up-to-date quotes, and work things out with the vendor.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 January 2022, 16:48:49 by Pylon »

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #292 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 00:23:05 »
Pylon... amazing work so far... can't tell you how excited I am for this project!  Keep up the great work and good luck.

Offline copper4eva

« Reply #293 on: Sun, 23 January 2022, 09:08:12 »
Looks awesome. Hope we get a group buy. Don't get a lot of custom boards bigger than full size. So this is pretty unique for custom MX boards.

Offline Epsilon Plus

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 26 January 2022, 16:47:08 »
Really excited to see this progress - I've gotten some new job duties where having a dedicated row of macro keys that don't require me to shift my hands too much would be really fab.

Offline nickyteddy

« Reply #295 on: Mon, 31 January 2022, 05:32:10 »
I cannot wait to see how this project progresses in the future. :thumb: I cannot verbalise how excited I am for a keyboard of this size in a nice metal case to be realised someday.

Offline rice97

« Reply #296 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 01:09:56 »
I want this so badly my god.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #297 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 20:45:47 »
Hey everyone - the proto is built and working. Some dusty photos:
282561-0
282563-1
282565-2
282567-3
282569-4
282571-5
282573-6

I maybe do a sound test later this week. The switches were lubed a bit inconsistently though so I may do more work on it, but it's enough to evaluate the proto.

Moving forward, I need to:
  • Get a second case proto with a sandblasted, anodized case. I also plan on fixing some minor issues on the 2nd proto (the front bumpon pocket is a little too small for instance). This may be with a different manufacturer (I used SuNPe for the proto).
  • Figure out FCC/CE EMI testing and get some quotes with some testing labs. I wrote up about EMI testing laws and regulations (and the likely dubious legal status of most custom mechanical keyboards) on Keebtalk. I would like to comply with those laws and regulations and actually do the interference testing. This adds time, complexity, and quite a bit of cost, and imposes a bunch of constraints (e.g. I might have to sell this with a fixed layout plate to avoid testing every layout configuration, which would add a lot of testing costs, and have open-source universal plate files published online that people would have to get cut themselves if they want to). This may also cause issues with international availability - the US, EU, and Canada have separate EMI testing regulations and require different tests to legally sell keebs in their jurisdictions, and it likely won't make financial sense to get approval with every jurisdiction (e.g. I received a $3000 quote for CE testing for Europe, and I'm not particularly confident I can make that $3000 back in EU sales). It may end up being US restricted if I only pay for FCC testing (which is still likely $2000+), and you'll have to find a 3rd-party proxy/forwarder or something if you're trying to get this from abroad (e.g. I can't legally sell directly in Europe without CE testing). If these constraints are too problematic (or if the testing ends up simply being too expensive), I am considering just open-sourcing the files metal version and writing up an ordering guide just like the 3D printed version, which would probably preclude a group buy or other sale.
  • Compile a final bill of materials, and figure out pricing. 
  • Work things out with a vendor (there's been some tentative talks with a vendor but nothing's concrete yet).
  • There's a chance I run this in-stock, though this is still TBD.

Offline CoyoteMegalo

« Reply #298 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 01:09:47 »
Moving forward, I need to:
  • Get a second case proto with a sandblasted, anodized case. I also plan on fixing some minor issues on the 2nd proto (the front bumpon pocket is a little too small for instance). This may be with a different manufacturer (I used SuNPe for the proto).
  • Figure out FCC/CE EMI testing and get some quotes with some testing labs. I wrote up about EMI testing laws and regulations (and the likely dubious legal status of most custom mechanical keyboards) on Keebtalk. I would like to comply with those laws and regulations and actually do the interference testing. This adds time, complexity, and quite a bit of cost, and imposes a bunch of constraints (e.g. I might have to sell this with a fixed layout plate to avoid testing every layout configuration, which would add a lot of testing costs, and have open-source universal plate files published online that people would have to get cut themselves if they want to). This may also cause issues with international availability - the US, EU, and Canada have separate EMI testing regulations and require different tests to legally sell keebs in their jurisdictions, and it likely won't make financial sense to get approval with every jurisdiction (e.g. I received a $3000 quote for CE testing for Europe, and I'm not particularly confident I can make that $3000 back in EU sales). It may end up being US restricted if I only pay for FCC testing (which is still likely $2000+), and you'll have to find a 3rd-party proxy/forwarder or something if you're trying to get this from abroad (e.g. I can't legally sell directly in Europe without CE testing). If these constraints are too problematic (or if the testing ends up simply being too expensive), I am considering just open-sourcing the files metal version and writing up an ordering guide just like the 3D printed version, which would probably preclude a group buy or other sale.
  • Compile a final bill of materials, and figure out pricing. 
  • Work things out with a vendor (there's been some tentative talks with a vendor but nothing's concrete yet).
  • There's a chance I run this in-stock, though this is still TBD.

Hey, thanks a lot for news!
So, you will not sell this badboy in EU? Maybe via an european proxy?
This CE testing is very expensive and I understand you'll follow the rules ;)

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #299 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 09:49:30 »
Good morning, gents. I've been out for a while, and wanted to get back in and check out progress on the aluminum one - it looks good Pylon, I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime, I was thinking about ordering 5 PCBs to make a few more of the 3-D printed version as gifts for folks.

I have a question about ordering - it looks like the MCU is what determines how much memory is available for things like macros. I'm running out of memory for macros on my board, so I'm curious if there's a compatible MCU with substantially more memory than the ones listed? A couple of the compatible MCUs say 128x8 Kbytes, I'm not actually sure if this is an indication that it will be 1,024 kb or not because the datasheets just say "64 to 128 Kbytes of Flash memory, 16 Kbytes of SRAM with HW parity". For example, look at this MCU, it says 128x8 on the main page, but the product datasheet says "64-128" so I'm not sure what I'd be getting: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/stmicroelectronics/STM32F072CBT7/5308070.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 February 2022, 09:53:25 by geauxflying »