Author Topic: [Instock] Sillyworks X Gateron Project Rehash SLAY Switches  (Read 43808 times)

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
[Instock] Sillyworks X Gateron Project Rehash SLAY Switches
« on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 15:49:55 »
304075-0

Discord:https://discord.gg/xprJb8Ta26

For those of you who are familiar with Unikeys, you would know that we are fans of HMX and BSUN. However, this time I am not bringing you a switch from either of these manufacturers. Instead, it is a series of new Gateron switches I am introducing to you today. Meet the Sillyworks X Gateron SLAY switches!

304083-1
304077-2
304079-3
304081-4

Price

Price: 0.47 USD per switch

Switch Specifications

Switch type: Linear
Designer: Sillyworks
Manufacturer: Gateron
Stem material: POM
Top Housings: PA66
Bottom Housing: PA66
Operating Force: See details above
Bottom-out Force:  See details above
Pre-travel: 2.0mm
Total Travel: 4.0±0.3mm (TRUE 4.0MM STEM POLE BOTTOM OUT)
Spring: See details above
Factory Lubed: Yes! light factory lube on spring, stem feet, and stem sliders

SLAY Switches

The goal behind creating the SLAY series is an attempt to pay homage to some of the earlier mechanical switches, specifically revisiting the Gateron KS-3 MX black switches that debuted nearly a decade ago. Sillyworks wanted to make something that was a combination of the classics and the new. You can sense that from the design specifics of the series.

Design:
Based on the foundation of KS-3 switches, Gateron made improvements to the molds and design. The SLA switches are manufactured using the more advanced 8-point injection molding technique; What it means is that each mold only produces 8 pieces of components. Despite the increased production cost, this method significantly enhances precision as the plastic melt spreads more evenly in the mold.

According to Sillyworks, the SLA switches are possibly the first ever linear switches that have a true 4.0mm full travel distance while still being stem-pole bottom-out. In order to achieve that, Gateron spent more than 3 months adjusting their existing molds and leaf spring design. Some of you might notice something different on these switches: the first thing is that they don't have LED diffusers at all, and the top housing is completely sealed. The second thing is that there seems to be a gap between the top and bottom housings but in real life are thickened housing edges. Although Sillyworks and Gateron never revealed the reasons for adjusting the design this way, we can assume that they are related to making the 4.0mm stem pole bottom out possible.

Materials:
The SLAY series comes with pretty standard POM stems and PA66 housings. What truly makes them special is still the designs.

Form of Sales

Time of Sales
4:00 PM ET on November 10th, 2023

Vendor List
Global: Unikeys https://unikeyboards.com/

Reviews and Videos
Unikeys:
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 November 2023, 18:57:06 by DashanYYY »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [Instock] Sillyworks X Gateron Project Rehash SLAY Switches
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 November 2023, 15:29:22 »
Approved :thumb:

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 November 2023, 16:32:45 »
My guy, I can't keep up with all these switches!? :p Seriously though, these look pretty interesting. I've definitely been know to enjoy some regular old KS3 Gat yellows, I actually still have a batch that I never got around to using. Not sure how I feel about them bottoming out on the pole. Would've loved to seen just an upgraded version of regular KS3s, but the molds are tailored to pole bottom out now. I'm not totally against the pole bottom out, but definitely prefer the traditional bottom out on the sides of the stem. Might give some of the Type L a go, although I'm waiting to see what Y is first. Throw in some novel materials, whether that be in the housing or stem & it would make these a lot more attractive at their price.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 November 2023, 07:23:15 by Rob27shred »

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 November 2023, 18:07:57 »
My guy, I can't keep up with all these switches!? :p Seriously though, these look pretty interesting. I've definitely been kow to enjoy some regular old KS3 Gat yellows, I actually still have a batch that I never got around to using. Not sure how I feel about them bottoming out on the pole. Would've loved to seen just an upgraded version of regular KS3s, but the molds are tailored to pole bottom out now. I'm not totally against the pole bottom out, but definitely prefer the traditional bottom out on the sides of the stem. Might give some of the Type L a go, although I'm waiting to see what Y is first. Throw in some novel materials, whether that be in the housing or stem & it would make these a lot more attractive at their price.

More and more new switches keep coming out, but I am glad to see that some of them are actually interesting haha. All I can say is the SLA switches are very unique but niche at the same time. I know some people would love them, but I assume plenty would hate them at the same time.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 November 2023, 07:26:42 »
My guy, I can't keep up with all these switches!? :p Seriously though, these look pretty interesting. I've definitely been kow to enjoy some regular old KS3 Gat yellows, I actually still have a batch that I never got around to using. Not sure how I feel about them bottoming out on the pole. Would've loved to seen just an upgraded version of regular KS3s, but the molds are tailored to pole bottom out now. I'm not totally against the pole bottom out, but definitely prefer the traditional bottom out on the sides of the stem. Might give some of the Type L a go, although I'm waiting to see what Y is first. Throw in some novel materials, whether that be in the housing or stem & it would make these a lot more attractive at their price.

More and more new switches keep coming out, but I am glad to see that some of them are actually interesting haha. All I can say is the SLA switches are very unique but niche at the same time. I know some people would love them, but I assume plenty would hate them at the same time.

Very true, not gonna please all the people all the time. I do have to say what you guys at Unikeys & Sillyworks have been doing has caught my interest big time. Definitely the most unique offerings especially compared to just plain recolors & such that we see so much. :thumb:

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 November 2023, 21:25:47 »
I expect this Slay to be great after a hands-on experience with Sillyworks Hyancith v2u! Looking forward to it!
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 November 2023, 22:47:42 »
Very cool.  Ordered the Type-A to try them out  :thumb: