Author Topic: Teenage Engineering Computer-1 Case  (Read 4476 times)

Offline Shapey Fiend

Teenage Engineering Computer-1 Case
« on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 13:08:02 »
Finally a computer case that doesn't look like every other computer case, to a degree. Wish we had more variety of aesthetics. There's so much cool music making hardware out right now that looks really satisfying, with clicky buttons, dials, HUDs and indicator lights. I guess the difference is those products cost a lot of money whereas computer cases are highly commoditized.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/28/22750729/teenage-engineering-computer-1-mini-itx-case-features-price

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Teenage Engineering Computer-1 Case
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 13:23:58 »
It's like sff, but not implemented in a weird not the best way..
Not sure if I'm a fan of it. Seems a lil stupid to me.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 14:32:23 »
That is interesting, years ago I toyed with building a "steampunk" case out of wood and copper.

But the problem is that the computer case is invariably something that I want to kick back out of the way under the desk.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 15:44:51 »
I always loved TE's aesthetic. It kinda like 70s industrial meets Swedish modern design.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 October 2021, 04:33:23 »
Looks like it'd have poor thermals. A few over on the SFF forum also pointed out the very limiting CPU clearance.

There are any number of better (functionally) designed SFF cases out there but also a range of similarly style over function cases (particularly from China). It would only be if someone really liked the aesthetic that they'd chose this over others I feel.

In terms of an excellent, well-made and thoughtfully considered case that also comes flat-packed there's the FormD T1 (sub 10L). For something cheaper, decently built, widely available and comes in the same color there's the Cooler Master NR200/NR200P in Sunset Orange (18L).

Offline jamster

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 October 2021, 05:16:15 »
Well, it's certainly... different.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 31 October 2021, 05:51:42 »
I'm not a fan of small fans or large gaps between pieces, and lack of dust filters.

And... builders have to bend the tabs themselves ... I've bent aluminium parts at home: it is not that easy to get the angle/alignment right, and it can break easily if you overdo it. That is something that should really have been done in the factory by professionals using a proper sheet-metal bending rig before powder-coating.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 19:17:33 »
cool design but i'm done with buying expensive cases that i gotta work around. it was fun doing an itx build once but i just dread every time i need to go in and do anything with my build and the gpu incompatibility is a huge pain in the tail when you'd be even lucky to find any 30 series gpu in this day

Offline jamster

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 22:03:02 »
Looks like it can only take limited size graphics cards, which seems a bit self defeating for something that looks like it's designed to be an eye-catching, portable gaming rig.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 22:39:10 »
Looks like it can only take limited-size graphics cards, which seems a bit self-defeating for something that looks like it's designed to be an eye-catching, portable gaming rig.
Yeah, this is a bit of a deal-breaker. I'm not sure it is completely meant to be portable, but more rather something like the NZXT H1, where the goal is just to take up a small space. Although yeah, the small GPU seems quite shabby considering even cases half the size can fit a full-size card.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 08:46:00 »

cases that i gotta work around.

Around the turn of the millennium I bought a huge steel tower case that accommodated everything: multiple drives (several each 5-1/4" and 3-1/2" external and at least half a dozen 5-1/4" internal), any motherboard I wanted to put into it, at least half a dozen fans (most with washable filters) and it was fantastic. My only complaint was that it had a pop-up "module" on top for stereo connections and USB ports that kept top from being flat so that I could stack stuff on it. 

At the time my kids were growing up and so a couple of times a year I would upgrade components (resulting in a downstream cascading roundelay of hand-me-down upgrades for everybody else). I didn't buy another "computer system" - the closest I came was to upgrade motherboard and CPU every 2-3 years (often with a new hard drive, too).

Finally, about a year ago, I bought a whole new rig in a slightly smaller and considerably lighter case (I am getting older and the Maxtech is a back-breaker), but the old one is still around as a secondary/backup system.

To me, that is what a computer case should be - a workbench that easily accepts whatever you throw at it.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline jamster

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 09:38:41 »

cases that i gotta work around.

Around the turn of the millennium I bought a huge steel tower case that accommodated everything: multiple drives (several each 5-1/4" and 3-1/2" external and at least half a dozen 5-1/4" internal), any motherboard I wanted to put into it, at least half a dozen fans (most with washable filters) and it was fantastic. My only complaint was that it had a pop-up "module" on top for stereo connections and USB ports that kept top from being flat so that I could stack stuff on it. 

At the time my kids were growing up and so a couple of times a year I would upgrade components (resulting in a downstream cascading roundelay of hand-me-down upgrades for everybody else). I didn't buy another "computer system" - the closest I came was to upgrade motherboard and CPU every 2-3 years (often with a new hard drive, too).

Finally, about a year ago, I bought a whole new rig in a slightly smaller and considerably lighter case (I am getting older and the Maxtech is a back-breaker), but the old one is still around as a secondary/backup system.

To me, that is what a computer case should be - a workbench that easily accepts whatever you throw at it.

I had something similar, perhaps five years more recently. Antec P180 or P183. The case was 15kg, empty. It was fantastic.

Five years ago I downsided and moved to a much smaller and lighter Coolermaster ITX style case with huge amounts of airflow. Nothing fancy, but it's also turned out to be great.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 02:55:47 »
Nah, not pretty. I tell you what's pretty - Nano Tower :P
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::