Author Topic: Just tested to "ergo" a couple of my clears.... Verdict:  (Read 3836 times)

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
Just tested to "ergo" a couple of my clears.... Verdict:
« on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 02:37:08 »
I just tested to change some of the springs in my G80-3000LQC Cherry MX Clear board to MX Blue springs. Comparing the modded keys with the unmodded keys I have come to some conclusions:

[*]The tactility of the keys have become much more pronounced. I would even say that the tactility feel more then on actual Blue switches.
    [*]The keys is more sluggish to return. Not so much that it matters for me when I'm writing code. But I would strongly not advice gamers to do this mod. (Not that I believe gamers would ever buy a Clear board anyway)
    [*]It is quite a lot easier to bottom out. That probably have to do with me being used to the much heavier original Clear springs. But still... For the moment I bottom out a lot on the modded keys.
    [*]After just a hour of usage it feels like I'm getting less fatigue in my fingers and my arms while using the keys that have been modded.
    [*][/LIST]

Verdict:
    Even tough I really like the resistance in the original clears, the more tactile feel and the prospect of less fatigue makes me choose the ergo modded keys in favour of the original. So next up is to complete the mod...
    ... also, I will probably be buying some O-rings from WASD for some dampening. I wonder if I should go for the 50A or 40A durometer ones... hmmm...

Some pictures from the modding and result of which keys that have what setup now.. (pictures also available here: https://picasaweb.google.com/103690929877689543487/ErgoClearingCherryG803000LQCKeyboard#)

Yepp.. I'm at a LAN-Party... :)

Green: Clear stem, Blue spring (Ergo Clear)
    Red: Clear stem, Clear spring (Original Clear)
    Blue: Blue stem, Blue spring (Original Blue)
    Purple: Blue stem, Clear spring (Heavy Blue)
    Yellow: Gray stem, Gray spring (Original space switch)

-----

I kept those switches that I use to hit hard with the original clear spring, so I will they'll need a little more force.  I also made some switches that I hardly ever use blue for sound reference. And last of all I made ESC and Num lock keys Blue with Clear springs just for fun. :)
    At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
      • http://www.keyboardlover.com
    « Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 17:57:46 »
    Glad you like them, but I disagree that they are not necessarily a good switch for gaming. In fact clears (ergo and non) are my favorite switch for gaming.

Moreover, I think that the best switch for gaming depends on your fingers/hand as well as your typing style. I have big hands, long fingers and I type fairly heavily. As a result, reds are my LEAST favorite switch for gaming because of accidental keypresses. Even browns I find too light for gaming for the same reason. Blues (with o rings on the keystems) and Clears/Ergo Clears are my favorite.

I plan to write up more about my thoughts on gaming switches in the near future at keyboardlover.com.
    « Last Edit: Wed, 30 November 2011, 20:06:42 by keyboardlover »

Offline Bongoojingie

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 19:48:59 »
    I'm curious on your thoughts with the O-rings.  For some reason, I find the O-rings so much more pronounced on ergo clears, to the point where it practically feels like a scissor switch.  Not sure if it's where the tactile bump meets the dampening or what, but I can't use O-rings on ergo clears, even though I like them on other switches.
    Realforce 87U Black Uniform 30g | Filco TKL Black Ergo Clear | Filco TKL White Ergo Clear | Filco TKL Linear R Limited | Custom Dell AT102W w/ White ALPS | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | TypeNow Solid Blues | SteelSeries 7G

Offline zmurf

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 12:19:11 »
    Quote from: keyboardlover;461565
    Glad you like them, but I disagree that they are not necessarily a good switch for gaming. In fact clears (ergo and non) are my favorite switch for gaming.
    You are of course right. What kind of switches you prefer for gaming is a personal opinion. And I wouldn't really know much about it since the games I play is mostly things like Flashback, Super Frog, Syndicate, The Settlers and Frontier. And none of those requires keyboards since they are played by joystick or mouse.
    But from what I heard of friend that play games like WoW and Counter Strike it is really important with "fast keys". And I experience a slight "hang up" on the tactile bump when the keys return after that I changed the springs. And I guess that most of my friends would like that.

Quote from: Bongoojingie;461636
    I'm curious on your thoughts with the O-rings.  For some reason, I find the O-rings so much more pronounced on ergo clears, to the point where it practically feels like a scissor switch.  Not sure if it's where the tactile bump meets the dampening or what, but I can't use O-rings on ergo clears, even though I like them on other switches.
    That doesn't sound nice at all... Maybe I should rethink putting in O-ring... Or just place O-rings on the "hit hard" keys, such as Return and F5 (Debug in Visual Studio)... :)
    « Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2011, 14:11:23 by zmurf »
    At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline braaaiiins

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 13:16:46 »
    I find my ergos to be superior to reds for typing. I'm just a lot faster and more accurate with ergos. For gaming I was a bit worried but I suffered no adverse affects from the tactility. On blues I had trouble with the spacebar getting stuck for spacebar spamming games. I'm still using a red spacebar for my ergo board.

Offline braaaiiins

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 13:20:30 »
    Im also using orings 50a durometer rating. I love them. They subtly change the bottom out sound and don't really noticably change the length of press.

Offline zmurf

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 08:31:33 »
    Added some pictures of changing the springs.