Author Topic: Nathan For You - Probably the best show on television  (Read 5052 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Nathan For You - Probably the best show on television
« on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 22:36:24 »
The absolutely absurd lengths this guy goes through to accomplish the most mundane things for his desired outcome is the most entertaining thing I've seen in years.

Offline 9999hp

Re: Nathan For You - Probably the best show on television
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 20:51:02 »
That's surprising since CC has been pretty hit or miss(mostly miss) the past few years. Haven't watched the show in length, but the clips I'm watching on youtube had me laughing.

« Last Edit: Mon, 23 October 2017, 21:06:40 by 9999hp »

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 21:22:10 »
he has a great deadpan.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 21:57:48 »
he has a great deadpan.

Oh my god, it's incredible. I actually have a hard time imagining him out of character.

This has been my favorite this season I think. Although the first one with the waiter tip was pretty good too.
https://watch-series.co/series/nathan-for-you-season-4-episode-3
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 October 2017, 22:00:46 by noisyturtle »

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 08:03:04 »
Nathan Fielder is great, loved his episode on Comedy Bang! Bang! as well.

Have you seen Tour de Pharmacy yet? He's got some bits in there that are a riot.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 08:05:38 »
ya'll gotta becareful..

Fill your boot drives with very badly built programs and settings,  you are setting up for a very sluggish system which can't respond to more advantageous processing opportunities..

Mind-rot  is real.. if we compared people who watched alot of MTV with people who only watched the History channel,  the MTV people has significantly higher prevalence of obesity/ cancer/ heart disease.

No, they weren't EATING TVs,   but what they were doing is succumbing to a set of beliefs and thought process which compelled them to make less healthy choices.

This type of logical programming especially (if consistent through life), affect all areas of decision making..

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 09:20:30 »
ya'll gotta becareful..

Fill your boot drives with very badly built programs and settings,  you are setting up for a very sluggish system which can't respond to more advantageous processing opportunities..

Mind-rot  is real.. if we compared people who watched alot of MTV with people who only watched the History channel,  the MTV people has significantly higher prevalence of obesity/ cancer/ heart disease.

No, they weren't EATING TVs,   but what they were doing is succumbing to a set of beliefs and thought process which compelled them to make less healthy choices.

This type of logical programming especially (if consistent through life), affect all areas of decision making..

all them vegetables are turning you into one, me thinks.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 11:06:41 »

all them vegetables are turning you into one, me thinks.

I was even m0ar crazy+ when I was eating Popeyes and Costco Rotisserie chicken..

Vegetables has only made Tp4 more sane..

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 11:43:22 »
I heard Ethan Klein talking about this show but I couldn't find a full episode anywhere online. I'll see it one day...
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 11:51:40 »
I heard Ethan Klein talking about this show but I couldn't find a full episode anywhere online. I'll see it one day...

check that link I posted above, you can watch 'em all!

Offline ygor

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 11:52:55 »

check that link I posted above, you can watch 'em all!

Doh! Nice, thanks, Turtleman.  :cool:
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 13:04:34 »
ya'll gotta becareful..

Depends on what era of history channel, cause we're all aware of the one that exists now with the reality tv etc..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 13:20:10 »
MTV was doomed as soon as they started doing Real World Road Rules Challenge and gradually stopped playing actual music videos, then it became a wasteland void of reality television for the absolute worst and trashiest young people in the world.
History Channel was doomed as soon as they started doing Ancient Aliens marathons, eschewing shows about actual real history. At which point producers realized people just want junk and lies and started polluting the channel with reality television.

Really reality television ruined television altogether. Only in recent years has it started recovering with well-written dramas and original programming.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 13:40:47 »
MTV was doomed as soon as they started doing Real World Road Rules Challenge and gradually stopped playing actual music videos, then it became a wasteland void of reality television for the absolute worst and trashiest young people in the world.
History Channel was doomed as soon as they started doing Ancient Aliens marathons, eschewing shows about actual real history. At which point producers realized people just want junk and lies and started polluting the channel with reality television.

Really reality television ruined television altogether. Only in recent years has it started recovering with well-written dramas and original programming.

Absolutely agree that reality tv ruined television, it substituted imagination for mediocrity.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 13:36:03 »
People always say MTV is dead but it's just called MTV2 now. There are twenty music channels on my TV.

Reality TV was a cheap solution to fill up our 600 channel cable subscriptions. Same with syndicated self contained shows. We're swamped with expensive original drama right now cos of all the silicon valley money being thrown at it to drive subscriptions.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 14:02:51 »
People always say MTV is dead but it's just called MTV2 now. There are twenty music channels on my TV.

Reality TV was a cheap solution to fill up our 600 channel cable subscriptions. Same with syndicated self contained shows. We're swamped with expensive original drama right now cos of all the silicon valley money being thrown at it to drive subscriptions.

Television is a primary driver in the 'Murican Obesity epidemic..

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 03:15:37 »

Television is a primary driver in the 'Murican Obesity epidemic..

I would argue that was caused by the push for carbohydrates as a necessity for proper nutrient intake, and then supplemented by tv.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 18:54:20 »
The latest episode was pretty good, right up to the very end where it became brilliant. The entire scheme was seemingly almost totally centered around making that douchey guy seem like an idiot.

Offline ygor

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 18:56:25 »
I watched the first two seasons, Turtle. Did not disappoint.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 03:40:05 »

I would argue that was caused by the push for carbohydrates as a necessity for proper nutrient intake, and then supplemented by tv.

Sighhhh... ... . . .. . . . . .........................

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 09:39:42 »

:)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 11:00:59 »

Where did you hear carbs are bad.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 03:18:28 »

It's not that they are bad necessarily, but we eat them at levels which aren't optimal, even those of us who are not obese.

Generally, this kind of goes along with the keto fads, there are researchers from that community that bring up pretty salient points. However, with any of this kind of stuff there are logical points to both sides.

The basic premise of my point is that we as a culture consume far in excess the required amount of carbs our bodies need per day. Individuals who frequently use anaerobic movements (athletes generally), of course need to supplement the extra carbs, but the layperson shouldn't need to go that far. Most glucose requirements, if needed, can be synthesized into glucose from protein, or simply use ketone bodies.

So where physical performance isn't a factor, it seems like the risks (inflammation, normal flora adulteration, cancers, effects of neurological disease, dopamine fluctuations/mood destabilization..++) of excessive carb consumption outweigh its benefits (dopamine).

I won't go so far as to say a lower-carb diet is what everyone should aspire to, however eating excessive carbs makes about as much sense as filling your gas tank so much it spills onto the ground.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 07:12:15 »

It's not that they are bad necessarily, but we eat them at levels which aren't optimal, even those of us who are not obese.

Generally, this kind of goes along with the keto fads, there are researchers from that community that bring up pretty salient points. However, with any of this kind of stuff there are logical points to both sides.

The basic premise of my point is that we as a culture consume far in excess the required amount of carbs our bodies need per day. Individuals who frequently use anaerobic movements (athletes generally), of course need to supplement the extra carbs, but the layperson shouldn't need to go that far. Most glucose requirements, if needed, can be synthesized into glucose from protein, or simply use ketone bodies.

So where physical performance isn't a factor, it seems like the risks (inflammation, normal flora adulteration, cancers, effects of neurological disease, dopamine fluctuations/mood destabilization..++) of excessive carb consumption outweigh its benefits (dopamine).

I won't go so far as to say a lower-carb diet is what everyone should aspire to, however eating excessive carbs makes about as much sense as filling your gas tank so much it spills onto the ground.

What are your thoughts on heart disease and diabetes with regards to nutrition.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 08:57:54 »

Generally, I think a lot of contemporary nutrition science is dated, as least as far as what is known/accepted in the public.

Heart diseases has far too many causes to 100% secure prevention. Diabetes is a tricky one for sure. Mainstream medicine has people believing people will die if you can't consume sugar. However, ketogenic diets (medium intake of protein, high in take of fats, no sugar/complex carbs) are becoming increasingly popular to treat Type 1 diabetes among those dedicated enough to make it a lifestyle, as well as show efficiency in helping people lose weight ( Which may help those trying to put Type 2 into remission.). Evidence of that will vary dependent on the individuals undergoing the diet as well as variables like exercise etc.

Eat within context of your activity level, avoid foods that send your brain into chemical spirals. Mainly avoid habitual use of sugar, it's as close as you can get to crack cocaine in the food world. And your body treats it like a drug.

(Good) Fats are significantly more important than most people give them credit for, as they help synthesize hormones and hormones regulate your body. If you wonder why old celebrities look so damn young sometimes, many of them take hormones. (They made trade years off their life for this.)

Protein for muscle/tissue/cell synthesis etc.

Sugars, for athletic/mental exercises activity that requires short term high performance. Meaning, eat to fill your glycogen reserves and/or to use during the activity.

Vitamins/electrolytes/minerals are important for normal function.

You're not gonna prevent everything, however you can decrease the likelihood you'll be affected by some disease. Body/mental health can be cumulative and often weird stuff affects that as well. Also, should your body be running in order, then treating yourself to unhealthy things will make less of an impact than otherwise.

If you're trying to increase your life span, Some of the smartest people in the world barely eat anything and subsist on pills mostly afaik. There is a famous inventor like that. He's waiting for the singularity. Still intermittent fasting has it's benefits as well.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 10:07:50 »

Generally, I think a lot of contemporary nutrition science is dated, as least as far as what is known/accepted in the public.

Heart diseases has far too many causes to 100% secure prevention. Diabetes is a tricky one for sure. Mainstream medicine has people believing people will die if you can't consume sugar. However, ketogenic diets (medium intake of protein, high in take of fats, no sugar/complex carbs) are becoming increasingly popular to treat Type 1 diabetes among those dedicated enough to make it a lifestyle, as well as show efficiency in helping people lose weight ( Which may help those trying to put Type 2 into remission.). Evidence of that will vary dependent on the individuals undergoing the diet as well as variables like exercise etc.

Eat within context of your activity level, avoid foods that send your brain into chemical spirals. Mainly avoid habitual use of sugar, it's as close as you can get to crack cocaine in the food world. And your body treats it like a drug.

(Good) Fats are significantly more important than most people give them credit for, as they help synthesize hormones and hormones regulate your body. If you wonder why old celebrities look so damn young sometimes, many of them take hormones. (They made trade years off their life for this.)

Sugars, for athletic/mental exercises activity that requires short term high performance. Meaning, eat to fill your glycogen reserves and/or to use during the activity.

You're not gonna prevent everything, however you can decrease the likelihood you'll be affected by some disease. Body/mental health can be cumulative and often weird stuff affects that as well. Also, should your body be running in order, then treating yourself to unhealthy things will make less of an impact than otherwise.

If you're trying to increase your life span, Some of the smartest people in the world barely eat anything and subsist on pills mostly afaik. There is a famous inventor like that. He's waiting for the singularity. Still intermittent fasting has it's benefits as well.

How ol' r ya 9999hp.   Have you been on ketogenic and low carbs for long ?

At what point did you begin to amass this information on health and nutrition, highschool, college, career ?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 10:15:16 »
lol why does every OT thread wind up being about eating habits?

Offline Calza

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 11:17:21 »
Unfortunately being in the UK strikes again.. not on our TV

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 12:36:56 »

How ol' r ya 9999hp.   Have you been on ketogenic and low carbs for long ?

At what point did you begin to amass this information on health and nutrition, high school, college, career ?

:) About 30

I'm not doing a diet currently, still I ration my carbohydrates typically to a single meal, with no preference as to which meal or what type of carbs (sugar is sugar) to minimize weight gain. I'm not really doing much physical training currently, so I'm a bit lackadaisical with my intake.

I think keto is very interesting, and have cycled it with success. I find that I'm generally less lethargic when my carb consumption is low. If it's any help for context, I'm a stimulant kind of guy (caffeine, nicotine). I also do what would be considered "Intermittent Fasting", for a variety reasons, sometimes inadvertently.

I started taking interest in the condition of my body at 20. Started with aesthetics, then strength, now performance. Also, I'm a lab tech in a clinical setting, so I'm around this information alllllll the time.

Also, I was incorrect. Type 2 is where keto proven to be successful, type one is unsubstantiated so far looks like. Yet people still doing it are met with success. I'm sure it varies.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 12:37:35 »
lol why does every OT thread wind up being about eating habits?

lol he's always the most outspoken, the conversation follows those who speak

Offline iri

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 17:49:58 »
Ok, I watched 1.5 episodes of that thing (Frozen Yoghurt and another one about a liquor store) and it's boring and fake as ****. Though certainly not the worst content Turtle posted here.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury