Author Topic: Back from middle ages  (Read 1605 times)

Offline sandywind

Back from middle ages
« on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 06:40:36 »
Hello! I'm the proud user of a few Model M keyboards which survived the retirement of the IBM PC.

After a dark period of low end keyboards and mice, I'm interested again in serious input hardware. Owner of a Corsair K65, I'd like  to further experiment lots of variations of the mechanical keyboard theme.
Corsair Vengeance K65 w/ SP DCS Twilight Keycaps | Poker II w/ Danger Zone keycaps | HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87UW55 | IBM PC BS 80's | OLKB Planck | IC WhiteFox | Varmilo VA87ML

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Back from middle ages
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 06:45:41 »
Welcome to GeekHack! :cool:

'just curious but what Model Ms do you still have?

Anyway, you've come to the right place to expand your mechanical keyboard experience! :thumb:

Offline sandywind

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 11:36:03 »
Externally they all look identical, however the hardness of the switches differs. My preferred one is PN 1391401 dated 1987-03-04. Another one is PN 1396790 dated 1992-06-29. A third one lost its tag, it is similar in feel to the second one. They are all US layout. The softest one is the first one. I do not know whether it had been used a lot, or the spring specs changed from 1987 to 1992.

I wonder, should I customize them, can I expect modern keycaps manufactured by Unicomp to be compatible?
Corsair Vengeance K65 w/ SP DCS Twilight Keycaps | Poker II w/ Danger Zone keycaps | HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87UW55 | IBM PC BS 80's | OLKB Planck | IC WhiteFox | Varmilo VA87ML

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 01:32:26 »
Externally they all look identical, however the hardness of the switches differs. My preferred one is PN 1391401 dated 1987-03-04. Another one is PN 1396790 dated 1992-06-29. A third one lost its tag, it is similar in feel to the second one. They are all US layout. The softest one is the first one. I do not know whether it had been used a lot, or the spring specs changed from 1987 to 1992.

I wonder, should I customize them, can I expect modern keycaps manufactured by Unicomp to be compatible?

I'm still trying to find a Model M locally...I always assumed it would be easy considering how much e-waste there is around here...I need to try harder! :p

About the keycaps; yes they will fit.  Confirmed by CPTBadAss in the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread.

Are unicomp keycaps compatible with original ibm model M keyboard?

Yup, I have Unicomp keycaps on my SSK.

Offline sandywind

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 05:09:39 »
I'm still trying to find a Model M locally...I always assumed it would be easy considering how much e-waste there is around here...I need to try harder! :p
I got them from my colleagues upgrading to newer machines maybe more than fifteen years ago. I never tried to find one on the market. As it may happen sometimes with old stuff, at the time I was uncultured and totally unaware of their technical value, but after trying one I immediately had the feeling it was superior to all the keyboards I had. Maybe because I had been a piano student I felt all those mushy rubber dome keyboards very uncomfortable.
About the keycaps; yes they will fit.  Confirmed by CPTBadAss in the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread.
I should have looked there in the first place  :-[

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 03:29:40 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There is much love for Model M around here - I have two! :))

But variety is the spice of life, so don't let us stop you from spending your money on lots of different keyboards :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sandywind

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 06:22:26 »
But variety is the spice of life, so don't let us stop you from spending your money on lots of different keyboards :p
Don't even try---you could not possibly stop me. :))

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 15:29:22 »
Welcome and enjoy your stay!
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar