Author Topic: ALPS stabilizers?  (Read 9193 times)

Offline VinnyCordeiro

ALPS stabilizers?
« on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 11:29:04 »
I'm starting to look for Cherry alternatives, ALPS switches being one that I want to try. Yes, I know that ALPS switches are discontinued and only third-party companies produces clones now (hello, Matias!), and that it is hard to find new keycaps for those switches, common practice being cannibalizing old keyboards for new ones.

That leaves also a question: what about ALPS stabilizers? From what I've researched, the keycaps made by SP that have ALPS inserts uses Cherry stabilizers. Is there anyone who still produces ALPS stabilizers or is it an extinct beast, leaving cannibalization as the only option?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: ALPS stabilizers?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 11:39:14 »
Matias has been teasing new caps and stabilizers for alps for ages. Until they finally sell them, you either get to harvest old boards or try and get costar working.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 14:17:45 »
They sell ABS sets already
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 16:57:12 »
Matias produces rectangular stabilizer mounts (as seen on Dell AT101x keyboards).

Cherry (cruciform) mounts are also seen on alps boards like the Chicony 5181. These are obviously readily available.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 17:09:50 »
Matias produces rectangular stabilizer mounts (as seen on Dell AT101x keyboards).

Cherry (cruciform) mounts are also seen on alps boards like the Chicony 5181. These are obviously readily available.
Are those available for purchase separately?

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 17:19:26 »
They have a "Stabilizer and Hook" set for $10 on their online store [1] but I don't know it the inserts come with the stabilizer set or the key caps.

If you're just looking for just inserts I'd suggest emailing them and then let us know if they'll sell individually!

[1] http://matias.ca/order/#keycaps

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 17:20:36 »
Ok, looking at Matias site I've found that they sell keycaps and stabilizers, or at least it is possible to order them. $30 for international shipping to Brazil is a bit expensive, though. :(

EDIT: 200 Matias Quiet Click switches + Black ABS Keycap Set + Stabilizer & Hook Set + shipping to Brazil = USD 164.90 OUCH!
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2015, 17:24:36 by VinnyCordeiro »

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 17:21:37 »
They have a "Stabilizer and Hook" set for $10 on their online store [1] but I don't know it the inserts come with the stabilizer set or the key caps.

If you're just looking for just inserts I'd suggest emailing them and then let us know if they'll sell individually!

We were looking at it at the same time, it seems. XD

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 17:39:10 »
Oh ****, I didnt realize the Matias stuff is finally for sale!!

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 14:04:14 »
but wait - the rabbithole goes deeper!

Matias keyboards use Costar stabs (with cruciform mounts on the underside of the keycap, same as cherry mx) on the spacebar and Alps stabs (with rectangular mounts) on all the other stabilized keys. Same deal with the new Alps boards from KBParadise.
I'm assuming the stabs listed on Matias' site will match this arrangement.

If you need parts for a Alps-style spacebar, or for any other key with Costar-style stabs (for example keycaps sold by SP), then the Matias set is probably not going to completely fit the bill.

It's not 100% clear to me what exactly is included in the stab set from Matias. Hopefully it includes all the plastic bits that you might need for any arrangement - you might need to talk to Matias if you need extra costar-style stabs because I guess the set would only include enough of those for a single spacebar. So if have some other non-Matias-standard stab arrangement, and you can get all the plastic bits from Matias, you can try to bend your own balance-bars for the other-sized keys if needed.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 01:09:03 »

We were looking at it at the same time, it seems. XD

If you don't mind my asking, what did Matias include in their stabilizer kit?

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 07:05:58 »
If you don't mind my asking, what did Matias include in their stabilizer kit?

I didn't made the order, too expensive for me. :(

Offline primered6

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 16:37:41 »
Hi there I too have been looking around but am unsuccessful in finding stand alone stabilizers, am even having difficulty with trying to find donor or
'victim' keyboard for salvage. I know they're not in production any more but at this rate being in the ALPS club is going to become as expensive as the
Topre cult, perhaps more so if indeed it's not already..

Btw, does anyone know what stabilizers the Tao Bao ALPS sets use? I've been abusing Massdrop again..
GNU Terry Pratchett.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 18:22:06 »
Hi there I too have been looking around but am unsuccessful in finding stand alone stabilizers, am even having difficulty with trying to find donor or
'victim' keyboard for salvage. I know they're not in production any more but at this rate being in the ALPS club is going to become as expensive as the

Btw, does anyone know what stabilizers the Tao Bao ALPS sets use? I've been abusing Massdrop again..

I think that most folks are using Costar stabs and custom bending the wires to suit the application.

Matias is rumored to have stabs that look like the old Apple hardware, but apparently no one has ever seen them in the wild.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 18:45:41 »

I am pretty sure that they are the same as the v60/v80 in that the spacebar is costar and the rest of the stabilized keys are alps inserts. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:17:24 »

I think that most folks are using Costar stabs and custom bending the wires to suit the application.

Matias is rumored to have stabs that look like the old Apple hardware, but apparently no one has ever seen them in the wild.
I will post pictures of the samples they sent me, if I can find them in my closet. :)

I knew I put them somewhere easy to find...

« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:29:41 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline primered6

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 08:36:23 »

I will post pictures of the samples they sent me, if I can find them in my closet. :)

Show Image

Thanks for the info.. It would not be too impractical of me to use Costar but does anyone have a source for the rectangular ALPS inserts?
I should not think they would be too hard to make, I can imagine them being part of a similar niche as the ALPS to MX adapters on shapeways.
GNU Terry Pratchett.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 09:18:07 »

Show Image

Thanks for the info.. It would not be too impractical of me to use Costar but does anyone have a source for the rectangular ALPS inserts?
I should not think they would be too hard to make, I can imagine them being part of a similar niche as the ALPS to MX adapters on shapeways.

try emailing Matias directly. Or maybe try asking KeyboardCo if they have any.

BTW - nice avatar img! I'm halfway thru watching "Space Dandy" right now.

Offline primered6

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 12:46:47 »

Will do..I will send off an email to both and see if they have any, or where I could possibly find a supplier.
And YES!! I love Space Dandy, it's an awesome show (Meow is my definite favourite though).
GNU Terry Pratchett.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 14:41:36 »

Will do..I will send off an email to both and see if they have any, or where I could possibly find a supplier.
And YES!! I love Space Dandy, it's an awesome show (Meow is my definite favourite though).
Space Dandy is pretty fantastic, just started it a few weeks ago but I'm all caught up.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done