Author Topic: What programming languages do you use for fun or work?  (Read 21943 times)

Offline starhacker

What programming languages do you use for fun or work?
« on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 04:34:22 »
Hey. Im just curious to know the devs within GH.

At work, I mainly use C++ to develop scientific applications. First language to pick up.

I like C# for its reflection, but mainly used for the Unity Engine. Made a some prototype games and tools.
Used to do competitive Java programming in high school, but never really ended up using it in a project.
Python for quick prototyping.

Learned some Haskell, it completely changed how to approach programming. It probably spoiled me, and now I complain about C++.  :))
One of my favorite Haskell articles: Evaluating Cellular Automata is Comonadic

What tech/languages do you all use for fun or work? Any projects you are working on that you would like to share?

Offline Ridingmac

Re: What programming languages do you use for fun or work?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 23:09:36 »
At work i use ABL (previously 4BL) wich is mostly for database applications. Home is Bash and Java mostly (Android apps).

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Offline iri

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 05:26:33 »
Erlang, Python, Haskell.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 05:52:29 »
Mostly Java at work these days, mostly Python at home (plus a fair bit of Python at work too).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nickhudson

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 07:23:41 »
I started learning Python on simplilearn app, any good resource for it?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 11:48:57 »
Mosty plain ole Bash for fun. But I am learning a bit of C (bash scripts are becoming ridiculous) and processing.js (because why not).

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 13:09:57 »
At work, it heavily differs; currently, Java, JavaScript and C#. But I don't work for fun.

My currently preferred "private" languages are C, C++ and Delphi. I'm looking into Racket because it seems to be an acceptable Lisp with a magnificent standard library. It might replace Common Lisp for me.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 05:56:17 »
I started learning Go, but haven't done much with it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 22:12:38 »
Some SQL, C#, VB .Net, C, C++, PowerShell.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline young

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 00:56:06 »
JAVASCRIPT,JAVA,C,C#,C++,PHP

Offline AJM

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 04:33:20 »
You young hipsters!

I use COBOL - like a real man!  :p

(For work - not fun obviously.)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 05:27:03 »
ADA95 [:
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline JP

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 07:53:38 »
You young hipsters!

I use COBOL - like a real man!  :p

(For work - not fun obviously.)

How about machine language for an esoteric machine which I can simulate in my head :p That or brainf*ck
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 08:27:05 »
I write in C.

Of the various variants of C++, only C++14 is worthwhile IMHO but then you would have to enforce strict discipline that everything is in the C++14 style. Good C code is often more clean and readable, because the language is less complex.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 08:27:38 »
C++17 is lovely, actually.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 08:43:13 »
Yeah, you're mostly right. They fixed (more) things that were weird in older C++ but some aspects are starting to make it a bit too heavy. Best to use C++17-compliant compiler but write your code in mostly a C++14 style.
The big proposals for C++20 are just out there IMHO: it would be better to make a new language altogether with those features and keeping conceptually C++ pure.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 08:44:34 »
C++ - just like PHP - has become "fat" by 2018, indeed. But there is too much legacy code to make a fork worth the effort.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 09:03:29 »
Turns out I'm decent at FP but not so much with OOP. Back to Python for a bit to grasp the concepts a bit better I guess. Last year was basically me setting up and learning vim :))

Offline iri

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 04:52:43 »
C++ - just like PHP - has become "fat" by 2018, indeed
C++ was fat in 1989

ADA95 [:
Do you work for the military now?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 05:47:26 »
Bash and a bit of C++ (arduino), still early in the learning process.

Thinking of picking up another one next year. Python3 or GO - what do you think?

Insert Signature without plastics

• actually, this guy
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 05:50:50 »
Pick C.

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 06:46:54 »
Currently doing a bachelor in computer engineering so I am currently learning Java, but I want to learn something else in the future. Haskell seems fun  :p
TP4 fanboy

Offline iri

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 17:53:15 »
Python3 or GO - what do you think?
LOL

NO

GENERICS

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Flame

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 13:47:07 »
I've been learning C++ for the last 2-3 semesters. I want to get better with Python & Java though.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 14:14:00 »
Work: Perl (request-tracker) and C++/Arduino (Kaleidoscope, keyboard firmware) and JavaScript (heavily keyboard related too).
Fun: Clojure, ClojureScript, with a hint of shell and python here and there.

I have a few Emacs lisp and C projects too, but neither would be my language of choice. I used to use a lot of other languages for both work and fun, but I've settled on the above lately. If I could, I'd write everything in Clojure or a variant, but definitely in a Lisp.

Offline iri

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 05:44:45 »
Lisps are great with their conditions and restarts and image based development and powerful debugging capabilities, but Clojure... errrr

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 08:25:42 »
LOL

NO

GENERICS

Why not? (serious question)

• actually, this guy
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 09:58:54 »
Python is slow and dumb. Go is fast and dumb (basically, a dumb C with non-standard threading).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 13:29:56 »
Hmm, I'm curious as to what folks here like to use for cross platform scripting (I'd guess C for compiled).

Offline iri

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 17:08:57 »
LOL

NO

GENERICS

Why not? (serious question)
Are you asking me why Go does not have generics?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Eldr1tch

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 18:50:42 »
For fun I use C, Perl, and Scheme.

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 05:46:28 »
Are you asking me why Go does not have generics?

No, I misunderstood and am feeling stupid now.

OK so GO is fast but is missing a crucial element and is still young and not widely used, python is popular although dumb and slow... might as well go for C then.

Offline iri

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 02:45:45 »
Java is fast and has generics :P

-Ray Bradbury

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 07:15:26 »
Probably be booted out, but fumbling my way through VBA to make Acess and Excel work more for us in our dreary administrative jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 16:14:03 »
Mostly Python, BASH, and PERL (IBM AS/400 if it counts)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 17:57:41 »
In school I learned JavaScript and PHP but didn’t use it so I forgot most of it. Now I’m trying to get into programming. Learning Python and I’ll look into probably Java sometime.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 17:59:11 »
Python for work and fun. Sometimes you come across Ruby in production and have to tweak it a bit. Golang for fun but I can never stick with it.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline menuhin

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 09:06:06 »
C and Lisp for fun and home, R and Python and JavaScript and PHP for work and recent projects.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Hitotam

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 17:34:23 »
 :)) in 2008 to 2010 i learned VB6 and i made lot of fun application since Windows XP work,
 i also learned HTML and CSS in 2011, but when i was focus to study chemistry at university
 i lost all my knowledge about programming, last year i studied C language,
 but really i like (Field-Programmable Gate Array) FPGA, the language used for many material
 application like Coin Mechanism, ...

Offline yuppie

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 19:18:49 »
Pretty much python. I'm mostly writing infrastructure automation pseudo-languages lately like Puppet and Terraform.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Timbersawdust

• aka snorlax
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 08:42:17 »
Java

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 02:36:49 »
Burn.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 04:32:24 »
Java is written in C++. That's what they told me when I applied for work at Oracle -- about working with Java compilers and tools. :-þ

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 10:21:33 »
I do not use any programming languages, however i would want to learn these things so i could get a job.

Offline mta

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 17:18:05 »
Mostly Python these days, sometimes Java for Android apps

Offline postanthony3000

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 23:55:35 »
For work, Python with some JavaScript. For fun, Python with some JavaScript. I mostly deal with web frameworks. Gotta love the new type hinting and coroutines!

I've done some work with Java which was exciting (the work was, not using the language  :p).

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 09:10:33 »
Oh, I'll chime in.
I'm not a developer, but I wanted to learn some language and thought I'll give Python a go.
Started some course and liking so far.

What do you guys think about Python? Is it good lanugage to learn from scratch, like to make your first and only programming language?
I got so excited with my idea/dream of writing a simple scrolling game, like Mario:)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline iri

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 12:38:51 »
What do you guys think about Python? Is it good lanugage to learn from scratch, like to make your first and only programming language?
Yes.

-Ray Bradbury

• actually, this guy
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 12:40:42 »
No.