Author Topic: Remington Super Riter review  (Read 7497 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Remington Super Riter review
« on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 16:46:32 »
Think you know old? 8)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Remington Super Riter review
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 17:08:26 »
Per usual, great review. It made me laugh because a lot of your experience was similar to mine when I got a Hermes 2000. Do a Selectric next!

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 14:46:09 »
I am responding to include my standard typewriter disclaimer:  stay away from typewriters  Stay far away.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 15:01:01 »
Heheheheh, yeah, it's quite a faff xD . Fun gadget though, I want to write the acknowledgements page of my PhD thesis with it ^^ .

Offline macguy80

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 15:18:06 »
Doesn't get much more "mechanical" than that!  ;D

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 18:08:59 »
Heheheheh, yeah, it's quite a faff xD . Fun gadget though, I want to write the acknowledgements page of my PhD thesis with it ^^ .

Do it, if small women around the 1940's could use this typewriter with ease then you shouldn't have any problems doing this now.

First used a typewriter back in 1981 which was an IBM selectric and it was a joy to use, especially the return which pushes the paper upwards for the next line of type, still miss it because it gave an instant feel to applying text and numbers upon a page.

You don't get anything when using a PC these days, no feedback whatsoever.

Offline Altis

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 21:19:58 »
Alright, spit it out, chyros... where in the world do you come up with all this stuff you find??
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 03:30:22 »
Alright, spit it out, chyros... where in the world do you come up with all this stuff you find??
;)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 11:06:26 »
Another totally awesome review!  Loved the 'commercial' in the beginning too!

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:53:53 »
Despite this being a great video which entertained me quite a lot, you made quite some misconceptions, it is in fact possible (of cause) to use all 10 fingers for typing , a skilled typist could reach up to 100 WPM, sometimes even more.

A popular video of speed typing is showed here:

Also, IBM didn't  introduced the single-printing element with their Selectric typewriter(s), in fact, typewriters with single-printing-elements such as type-wheels or cylinders, where intruded to the marked MUCH earlier, the Blickensderfer typewriter for example, which was a fully mechanical typewriter which used a interchangeable type-cylinder, was introduced 1893. Blickensderfer also invented the world's first electric typewriter, the "Blickensderfer electric", which also used the characteristic type-cylinder.

Aaaaaand Remington also didn't came up with the Type-bar system. QWERTY was also not specifically designed for Remington typewriters, but for Type-bar typewriters in general.

« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:59:48 by Olumin »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 20:34:45 »
Yeah, but that dude was strong as an ox, lol.  I'm surprised the typewriter didn't break....

Offline Red October

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 00:11:43 »
My grandmother was a secretary and learned in and saw out the age of the manual typewriter in that industry.  She was, like the gentleman in the video, a student-athlete in a game that rewards strong hands (Basketball in her case), and could type with all fingers at a significant rate (80 WPM or more) on typewriters that would make this seem like a dream the same way it makes an electric keyboard seem like a dream.  She also possessed a fantastic manual typewriter (Sears Forecast-12, a typewriter which you'd swear was plugged in but it wasn't).

I actually own several typewriters; from an ancient Remington beast made of black-enameled iron all the way through a tiny Panasonic which is actually a pen-plotter up to a giant fully-computerized Xerox desktop typesetter which I rescued from the side of the road.  It's bizarre, you can essentially turn it on as an electric typewriter, or turn on the computerization along side and compose documents on a small screen, save them to floppy disks, spell-check them, and so forth.