Author Topic: "Norbatouch" Round 3.1415 - CNC cases for Novatouch + Cooler Master TKLs  (Read 43973 times)

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
Re: "Norbatouch" Round 3.1415 - CNC cases for Novatouch + Cooler Master TKLs
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 07:09:11 »
Yesterday I got a Novatouch for less than $50. And now I'm tempted to jump in on this round, why are you doing this to me Ryan  :'( :'( :'(

Offline dantambok

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 04:50:14 »
Yesterday I got a Novatouch for less than $50. And now I'm tempted to jump in on this round, why are you doing this to me Ryan  :'( :'( :'(

Hot damn how’d you get one so damn cheap
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 06:50:06 »

Hot damn how’d you get one so damn cheap

Obviously the previous owner did not know its full value, and it was in a quite sorry state - the plastic case is all scratched up, dirty AF, the guy was a construction engineer so tons of dust and stuff, 2 keys only registered if long-pressed. The only good thing is that it was never opened, all the QC seals and stamps over the screws are in tact. Thus I harvested the sliders for my Norbaforce of course (the top of all the stems have scratches, not sure how, but it's still smooth because only the legs make contact to the housing rails), and put KBDfans ones back in with silence rings and lubed everything. And now it is working perfectly, hence my dilemma of getting or not getting a Norbatouch  :mad:
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 August 2018, 06:52:26 by thelaughingman »

Offline letze

• Here I am~
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 21:31:59 »
The group buy still live. Thought it would end in July  :rolleyes:
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site

I ordered a few extras as part of the group buy and figured I would make those available while the order is being manufactured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline letze

• Here I am~

I ordered a few extras as part of the group buy and figured I would make those available while the order is being manufactured.

So if someone join this gb, and accidentally match with ready stock case that you have right now, will you ship that case or we have to wait for new production?
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline norbauer

So if someone join this gb, and accidentally match with ready stock case that you have right now, will you ship that case or we have to wait for new production?

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but the extras I mentioned aren’t in ready stock. They’re just planned extras ordered from the factory as part of the normal GB.

Offline letze

• Here I am~

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but the extras I mentioned aren’t in ready stock. They’re just planned extras ordered from the factory as part of the normal GB.
Understood now. So the extra is from this round gb. Not from previous round  :)

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 00:26:30 »
What was the estimate of shipping time? I caved, will join this at the end of the month when salary comes  :blank:

Offline Idef1x

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 02:55:56 »
I am way too exited, way too soon. Arrgh.
Board: Clueboard 66%, 65g Zealios, /dev/tty caps.

Offline consolation

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 20:17:25 »
Thought I'd share some Enigma Black from round 2 with Red Samurai caps. This case and caps are two, of the very few, purchases I have 0 regrets making.

Despite acquiring many keyboards, of all shapes and sizes, over the years; when serious typing needs to be done, nothing beats my Norbatouch for comfort and satisfaction. You can take it to the office without looking like you got a toy, and it feels so good to use. The subtle texture of enigma makes, running your fingers over the case, almost an erotic feeling. This is from someone who is mostly a buckling spring person; for serious work, I don't need a racket at 3 am - I need the buttery smooth slide of the topre shafts, the sudden collapse of cup rubber and the subtle harshness from the case's hard metal with it's lacey coating...

202627-0

202629-1

It's really hard to do justice to the rich texture of Enigma Black, it's so much more impressive in RL. (Same for Red Samurai's colours.)
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2018, 20:20:47 by consolation »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 22:52:43 »
almost an erotic feeling.

Haha. Now that is quite an endorsement! Thanks for sharing this awesome feedback, and the kind words. :)

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 12:50:40 »
shapes and sizes...beats...feels so good...erotic...shafts...hard...

I concur. Sometimes, I stroke my Norbatouch cases.

Offline dantambok

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 04:14:27 »
202969-0

Need i say more? I also bought a gray case but it got lost in the mail. welp  :(
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 10:46:14 »
Need i say more? I also bought a gray case but it got lost in the mail. welp  :(

Love that blue.

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 08:22:39 »
I just got my hands on a Novatouch in mint conditions and are looking into potential upgrades.
I'm not sure if this is the place for questions, if not please let me know where.

1) What's the sound characteristics compared to the stock case?
2) Will I notice any difference while typing or is it just a cosmetic upgrade?
3) Does it add any extra support for the pcb?

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 23:57:39 »
Ryan, did the "pi" symbol I suggested make its way into the design somewhere (and could we see it) or are you going for a surprise on mail day?

Offline wowremy

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 04:39:22 »
Norb, you are like the high level badass in a video game, everyone admires with their shining steel and sweet horse. Just scored a novatouch on mechmarket and I just wanna say, thank you so much for keeping the Norbatouch GB open past the date posted here. Love you.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 September 2018, 06:31:53 by wowremy »

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 16:06:12 »
are the anodized ones soon to be done manufacturing?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 16:09:19 »
Ryan, did the "pi" symbol I suggested make its way into the design somewhere (and could we see it) or are you going for a surprise on mail day?

Yes, I added it to the back where it's hidden during normal use. I was intending it to be a bit of surprise, so I'll leave the actual implementation to be seen when the cases show up, but I spent a lot of time trying to find a Pi glyph that I particularly liked. I ended up taking one from an existing font and then massaging it a bit in Illustrator myself. :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 16:09:39 »
are the anodized ones soon to be done manufacturing?

The machining is complete, but there are plenty of other steps to getting these ready—and thus plenty of more waiting—left. :)

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 16:26:49 »
aww shucks the waiting game is no fun to play  :eek: :cool:

Offline letze

• Here I am~
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 04:13:40 »
I just got my hands on a Novatouch in mint conditions and are looking into potential upgrades.
I'm not sure if this is the place for questions, if not please let me know where.

1) What's the sound characteristics compared to the stock case?
2) Will I notice any difference while typing or is it just a cosmetic upgrade?
3) Does it add any extra support for the pcb?
1. Deeper thock. Just search youtube video on typing sound.
2. Any alu case for any keyboard consider as an improvement because eliminates plastic case rattling/ keystroke feel sharp and make typing sound more audible.
3. This case is design for this cm novatouch thus it perfectly fit. Not sure what you means  :)

Offline autobot

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 16:56:23 »
Venice Laaaaaaser!

Holy cow this is vibrant! It's hard to capture in my office lighting though (sun light + florescents)

Norbauer, the finish quality on the case is nothing short of stellar! Perfect 10. Bravo!

Perfect match with Laser and MasterKeys Pro S RGB. Using that "laser" effect. As I type, the LED's snap on, then fade to off:

« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2018, 21:10:55 by autobot »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 18:08:40 »
Venice Laaaaaaser!

Holy cow this is vibrant! It's hard to capture in my office lighting though (sun light + florescents)

Norbauer, the finish quality on the case is nothing short of stellar! Perfect 10. Bravo!

Perfect patch with Laser and MasterKeys Pro S RGB. Using that "laser" effect. As I type, the LED's snap on, then fade to off:

Show Image

Thank you for another amazing review, autobot! This finish/keycap combo is an all-time favorite of mine. Thanks for sharing this! :D

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 06:09:38 »
I was gonna join this round but then I got this  :p :p :p

204596-0

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 06:19:03 »

(Attachment Link)

run it in why don't you?  :eek: :-\ ;D

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 09:33:13 »

(Attachment Link)

if you've got it, flaunt it  ;D ;D ;D

also as of this moment, only Aerospace aluminium and Enigma Gray options are available so it seems like Ryan's planned extra are running out soon. Get in while you can people, this is the last round already  :eek:

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 09:45:46 »

(Attachment Link)

haha i got the tactical black...couldnt justify enigma grey to myself.
if you've got it, flaunt it  ;D ;D ;D

also as of this moment, only Aerospace aluminium and Enigma Gray options are available so it seems like Ryan's planned extra are running out soon. Get in while you can people, this is the last round already  :eek:

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 10:18:14 »

haha i got the tactical black...couldnt justify enigma grey to myself.

I've got Tactical Black for my Norbaforce, very smooth and nice to touch. I think you'll love it  :thumb:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 16:58:17 »
Quick update. Machining is complete on these and they're just now working on finishing. They had a few issues with anodizing on the clear parts and are re-running a few of those, so still a few weeks left on production, I'd guess.

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 11:50:21 »
@ryan any further updates?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 12:30:58 »
@ryan any further updates?

Same as before, but I do have a more precise timeline now. They expect to have the refinishing complete by the end of November, since they're actually re-making some of the cases from scratch in order to meet my (somewhat rigorous) anodizing cosmetic finish standards. That still leaves plenty of time to ship within my stated time frame, but it's nonetheless behind what I was hoping for (i.e., to ship early). This is why I leave plenty of buffer relative to what the factories originally promise. I don't think I've yet ever had a factory ship machined parts exactly on the originally-promised timeline.

After the manufacturing is complete in November, there are still several downstream steps, so shipping of anodized cases is likely to occur in December at some point and then powder in January (a or a bit later for powder, given the holiday shutdowns).

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 12:40:49 »
thanks! it feels infinitely better to have a more concrete date  ;D

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 02:47:30 »
Hey Ryan, I saw that there were a lot of rejects with glossy powdercoats for the norbaforce GB and that it could potentially affect this GB because it's too expensive to keep it up and is a huge pain.

What's the situation looking like?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 00:29:14 »
Hey Ryan, I saw that there were a lot of rejects with glossy powdercoats for the norbaforce GB and that it could potentially affect this GB because it's too expensive to keep it up and is a huge pain.

Yes, I'm going to talk to the powder shop this week and see if it'll be possible to get the exact same color but with a matte finish. If I decide to make that switch to get better surface finish quality control, I'll send an email to affected folks and ask them if they want to stay with matte Retro, to switch to another finish, or to cancel.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 02:37:59 »

Yes, I'm going to talk to the powder shop this week and see if it'll be possible to get the exact same color but with a matte finish. If I decide to make that switch to get better surface finish quality control, I'll send an email to affected folks and ask them if they want to stay with matte Retro, to switch to another finish, or to cancel.

Will this affect Retro Refrigerator only or all glossy powdercoats? Personally, I'm okay with the switch to matte (Astro Purple). I'm just curious, is all. Thanks!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 10:32:38 »
Will this affect Retro Refrigerator only or all glossy powdercoats? Personally, I'm okay with the switch to matte (Astro Purple). I'm just curious, is all. Thanks!

No. Only Retro Refrigerator and Venice Beach. Those two are particularly difficult finishes to apply, apparently, and the gloss exacerbates the problem. The purples all came out perfect in the Norbaforce batch.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 18:20:12 »

No. Only Retro Refrigerator and Venice Beach. Those two are particularly difficult finishes to apply, apparently, and the gloss exacerbates the problem. The purples all came out perfect in the Norbaforce batch.

Sounds good. Thanks for the quick replies!
Though, it is a shame I won't be able to get a glossy Venice beach in the R2 Force run but a matte version would still be appreciated if you run that color :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 21:54:47 »
Hi all. I just wanted to provide an update that production is now complete and assembly and inspection is occurring next week.

For fun, here is an image of what the laser engraving process looked like:

Offline letze

• Here I am~
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 05:25:09 »
Any update on venice beach and retro color?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 12:14:59 »

I actually spent four hours driving on Monday to visit the powder coating facility out out on the other side of the Bay, and we met for quite a long time sifting through various ways of ensuring the highest possible QC, and they agreed with me that a switch from the glossy Venice and Retro finishes to a more matte version is our best bet to address the coverage and non-uniformity issues I've been seeing on the gloss versions of those colors (and which I have rejected rather than shipping to GB participants.) The result of this is that we're conducting an experiment next week where they'll strip and re-shoot 20 Norbatouch housings with flat Retro that had cosmetic problems in the glossy version of the same finish. If the reject rate is much lower, as they suggest it might be, I'll notify people who ordered those colors and ask them if they're cool switching to matte. If the reject rate is still high, I'll cancel the orders and/or give people the opportunity to switch to a texture finish.

Offline letze

• Here I am~
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 09:10:46 »
Nice. Thanks for the update.  :thumb:

Offline Cloudnine25

• Chilling
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 13:01:49 »
Will there be photos for the matte Retro finish when the experiment done? :p
Thanks for the info btw~

Offline pasclerasc

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 11:45:47 »
Thanks for all the updates Ryan! I'm really looking forward to my case. Are you making a "behind the scenes" photo album or video to post after? I'm sure we'd all love to see the gritty details.

Offline datfroyodoe

I actually spent four hours driving on Monday to visit the powder coating facility out out on the other side of the Bay, and we met for quite a long time sifting through various ways of ensuring the highest possible QC, and they agreed with me that a switch from the glossy Venice and Retro finishes to a more matte version is our best bet to address the coverage and non-uniformity issues I've been seeing on the gloss versions of those colors (and which I have rejected rather than shipping to GB participants.) The result of this is that we're conducting an experiment next week where they'll strip and re-shoot 20 Norbatouch housings with flat Retro that had cosmetic problems in the glossy version of the same finish. If the reject rate is much lower, as they suggest it might be, I'll notify people who ordered those colors and ask them if they're cool switching to matte. If the reject rate is still high, I'll cancel the orders and/or give people the opportunity to switch to a texture finish.
Would love to see pics of the matte finishes for Venice beach :)

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Offline Sythe

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 00:04:10 »
Any updates? Especially on the Venice Beach?

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 00:21:05 »
So I read somewhere I can use my Norbauer case (optionally) as a home defense weapon. Is this accurate?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 00:22:27 »
So I read somewhere I can use my Norbauer case (optionally) as a home defense weapon? Is this accurate?

i don't belive that it is a recommended use of it, but they're hefty for sure
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline norbauer

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 15:46:58 »
Any updates? Especially on the Venice Beach?

I sent out an email to everyone in the group buy (maybe check your spam filter if you didn't get it). I had to push out the delivery estimate by a month or so due to my rejecting some of the anodized units due to minor cosmetic issues and asking the factory to remake them. All the machining and anodizing are complete and the units are at the third-party inspection firm being checked over thoroughly and assembled. I have been nagging them to get that turned around quickly (so far that process has taken longer than I would have liked or hoped, frankly).

Regarding the powder, I'm also still waiting on the samples back from the powder workshop (their excuse for the delay was being closed for a couple of weeks for the holiday). However, I am operating on the assumption that the switch to matte will have addressed my concerns. Once I have any photos to share, I will. I only got them to sample the matte Retro, but they're otherwise the same and from the same vendor, so one should be indicative of the other.