Author Topic: [GB] Weight Insert for Octagon V2 - All Orders Shipped  (Read 72637 times)

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
Re: [GB] Weight Insert for Octagon V2 - SS Only US Orders shipped (except 1)
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 19:27:17 »
Hi OP, any updates? I ordered 2 SS blank plates and I'm just over in Canada.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 20:15:22 »
when do brass plates ship?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:56:32 »
Update

Not much to report, awaiting shipping of package over to me.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 09:12:44 »
UPDATE

Apparently the plates haven't been shipped yet. My manufacturer had some event he was involved in during the past week. Should be shipping today. Sorry guys.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 20:41:48 »
UPDATE!!!

Brass Units are in!!!

There is light at the end of the tunnel! All the scratches and blemishes are gone! Each plate is now a lot more consistent than it was before. Unfortunately, because he didn't work off of pre-polished plates like the SS ones were, these aren't as shiny.

Now that I actually have ALL the plates in, I'm able to compare them with the SS, and the brass units are indeed just a smidgen heavier. its noticeable but not very much.

I had a few people email or ask me regarding making more of these plates for other Duck keyboards. I would be very interested in doing so. I've learned a lot, made lots of mistakes, and I am indeed hoping to learn from those. Once all units have been received and accounted for, I'll put up a GB post-mortem detailing a lot of these things.

Anyway, without further ado, PICTURES!!

151398-0151400-1151402-2

Offline omgar

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 20:44:04 »
UPDATE!!!

Brass Units are in!!!

There is light at the end of the tunnel! All the scratches and blemishes are gone! Each plate is now a lot more consistent than it was before. Unfortunately, because he didn't work off of pre-polished plates like the SS ones were, these aren't as shiny.

Now that I actually have ALL the plates in, I'm able to compare them with the SS, and the brass units are indeed just a smidgen heavier. its noticeable but not very much.

I had a few people email or ask me regarding making more of these plates for other Duck keyboards. I would be very interested in doing so. I've learned a lot, made lots of mistakes, and I am indeed hoping to learn from those. Once all units have been received and accounted for, I'll put up a GB post-mortem detailing a lot of these things.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Wow that's pretty. Can't wait to get mine. Thanks for the update!

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #206 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 21:23:02 »
UPDATE!!!

Brass Units are in!!!

wow really nice merlin  :thumb: :thumb: Thanks for all your hard work for this GB
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline boo

« Reply #207 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 00:00:34 »
so I noticed that my SS plates have  scratches when shined under a light. does the brass do too?

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #208 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 01:04:25 »
Dude. They look frigging awsome!! Well worth the wait. Thanks you!

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #209 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 02:12:19 »
UPDATE!!!

Brass Units are in!!!

Wow! These are sexy.... kinda want a brass and SS one hehe. Just kidding both look great!

Offline breitling

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 02:23:52 »
they look more brushed than mirror but still looking awesome! im happy with either.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 09:04:53 »
I don't think either of them are a true mirror finish, but the SS one is very close as we ordered pre-polished material. I'll state it out here that the brass does not look like the shiny mirror that Duck has posted on his sites. As people have informed me, a true mirror finish is quite an ordeal and would cost twice or thrice the purchase price of my units. Probably thrice because of US prices. The polishing is by far the major cause of the delay as the plates only took 1 week to 2 weeks to cut per material. SS takes longer as it is harder to machine. Looking at the cost of things, for those who bought the SS, they are getting a much higher quality unit than what they paid. The brass unit people are getting what they paid for.

Personally, I still prefer the brass as it looks good in my black base. The contrast really stands out especially with my silver screws in. I'll be sure to take my keyboard apart every weekend so I can look at it.

Here's a recap of the troubles in order

1. Brass Units came in first, very shiny but very scratched. Noticeable without bright lights. I could feel the scratches.
2. Requested better finishing on the already cut SS plates. Those were scrapped and new material (pre-polished) were ordered and then cut/polished
3. Brass Plates returned, SS plates received
4. SS plates shipped to US orders who only got SS. (+1 to someone in Canada  :p)
5. Brass Plates received

Offline gaiden

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 09:12:40 »
@Merlin64,

I feel like right now might be a good time to ask since this GB is pretty much concluded. Would you be in considering doing GB for the Black Bird? I'm sure there are many interested parties since it's between the batch right now.  :thumb:

Offline omgar

« Reply #213 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 09:10:50 »
Received a shipping invoice earlier this past weekend. Thanks!

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #214 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 10:27:05 »
@Merlin64,

I feel like right now might be a good time to ask since this GB is pretty much concluded. Would you be in considering doing GB for the Black Bird? I'm sure there are many interested parties since it's between the batch right now.  :thumb:

I'm considering offering blackbird weights. I have to wait on getting my board to take measurements (I asked in the GB thread, but no one provided dimensions). They would not be polished. I'm considering cast bronze as a material. At the very least I'll do one for myself.

Offline AceRuckus

« Reply #215 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 10:39:05 »
Merlin, any SS extras?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gaiden

« Reply #216 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 10:43:05 »
Merlin, any SS extras?

To my knowledge he only made to match the number of orders with no extras

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline AceRuckus

« Reply #217 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 10:43:54 »
Merlin, any SS extras?

To my knowledge he only made to match the number of orders with no extras

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

someone sell me their weight insert

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #218 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 11:46:27 »
@Merlin64,

I'm considering offering blackbird weights. I have to wait on getting my board to take measurements (I asked in the GB thread, but no one provided dimensions). They would not be polished. I'm considering cast bronze as a material. At the very least I'll do one for myself.

I can give you measurements!  I have digital calipers that have no batteries, I'll pick one up today and give you measurements sometime this week.  I can even send a CAD file if you want.

Offline breitling

« Reply #219 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 18:22:54 »

I would be in on the blackbird weights especially since the blackbird could use some extra weight.. I could measure it but I think a precise measurement from the CAD files or whatever they use is better than a ruler right?

Offline ctrlX

Re: [GB] Weight Insert for Octagon V2 - Brass Has Arrived, shipping to commence
« Reply #220 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 02:01:46 »
So brass plates are yet to be shipped. Do you have a rough estimate when they might be shipped? Especially to EU members. Thanks.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 09:13:55 »
International orders go after the US. I'm currently in the middle of shipping, trying to ship a few everyday and doing bigger chunks on the weekend.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 11:48:05 »
Cool. Thanks for the info

Offline tuco

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 18:26:10 »
Got my brass insert today, it is awesome. Thanks again for all your efforts merlin64!

Offline kenshinjeff

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 08:27:27 »
International orders go after the US. I'm currently in the middle of shipping, trying to ship a few everyday and doing bigger chunks on the weekend.

Could you drop me a note when you're shipping mine out? Tracking number would be greatly appreciated as well : D

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 09:20:22 »
I'm invoicing people for shipping thru PayPal. Once I create the shipping label, you should get some sort of notification when that is done. I try my best to adhere to the ship date printed on the label.

By tomorrow I should have all the single order US Engraved Bras shipped out.

Could you drop me a note when you're shipping mine out? Tracking number would be greatly appreciated as well : D

Offline omgar

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 20:24:24 »
Thanks merlin! :thumb:

Offline kenshinjeff

« Reply #227 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 22:32:54 »
I'm invoicing people for shipping thru PayPal. Once I create the shipping label, you should get some sort of notification when that is done. I try my best to adhere to the ship date printed on the label.

Thanks man! I got the notification via PP a few hours ago, much appreciated. Should be in for the Black Bird if you're gonna run it.

Offline beltet

« Reply #228 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 06:40:53 »
I have not got a notification for the shipping. I and ctrlx was supposed to combine shipping. Have you sent it to him?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #229 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 08:29:10 »
That looks absolutely beautiful....maybe I should have gotten a silver base....but I won't see it on a day to day basis anyway.

Thanks merlin! :thumb:

Show Image

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 08:35:56 »
Orders are getting there. Please check the Order Status link to track my progress on shipments.

I realized that marking things as received only works when people actually tell me they received it haha. Consider SHIPPED/RECEIVED to be about the same thing.

I have not got a notification for the shipping. I and ctrlx was supposed to combine shipping. Have you sent it to him?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #231 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 10:39:44 »
FYI for those who have inquired about the Duck Black Bird weight insert. I have an IC going for it. Please visit

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85641.0

for more info.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 13:43:38 »
UPDATE

Productive weekend! Almost all US orders packed/shipped. Only 2 are left to ship, waiting for invoices to be paid.

I'll be working on international orders this week!

Offline chili14

Re: [GB] Weight Insert for Octagon V2 - US Shipping just about done, Intl next!
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 15:20:08 »
Received my brass weight this afternoon and it looks great. Thanks again for running this group buy. Anything new on the switch top plate GB? Saw you have the IC for the blackbird weight so I thought I would ask.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 18:23:56 »
I must apologize to the latest group of people I shipped stuff to. I ran out of packing paper, so I ended up tearing apart my wife's women's fitness magazines that she was going to recycle. I apologize if any of the images depicted are offensive to anyone.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #235 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 22:12:41 »
I must apologize to the latest group of people I shipped stuff to. I ran out of packing paper, so I ended up tearing apart my wife's women's fitness magazines that she was going to recycle. I apologize if any of the images depicted are offensive to anyone.

works for me. in fact, i was just about to pm you and specifically request women's fitness magazines as packing material.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 08 November 2016, 01:07:05 »
Hahaha!

Offline SaySo

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 09 November 2016, 12:51:22 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:53:44 by SaySo »

Offline SaySo

« Reply #238 on: Wed, 09 November 2016, 13:20:00 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:53:56 by SaySo »

Offline AceRuckus

« Reply #239 on: Wed, 09 November 2016, 13:20:14 »
Hi there,

I am selling my spot (Stanless steel non engraved).
If someone is interested before Merlin64 shipped it, please PM.

Cheers

Bought :)

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #240 on: Wed, 09 November 2016, 15:51:20 »
Anyone willing to sell their spot or already arrived stainless steel insert, I'm happy to buy it! Engraved or not doesn't really matter.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 11:52:11 »
UPDATE

US orders ALL shipped. Madly trying to pack the international orders so I can ship them out this Saturday.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: [GB] Weight Insert for Octagon V2 - International Shipping Commencing
« Reply #242 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 10:36:21 »
UPDATE

Failed to ship out all the international orders. I was quite busy this week. However I did get all the Canadian orders out.

My goal for this week is to get all the remaining orders invoiced and get at least the European orders out.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #243 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 09:42:13 »
UPDATE

All the remaining orders have been packed. Waiting on replies/payments/etc.

Meanwhile for you Orion owners..
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85723.0

and Black bird owners...
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85641.0

Offline tuco

« Reply #244 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 15:26:07 »
I just got around to taking my board apart to install the plate, I "swore" I put the extra screws included with the board in a safe place so I could install the plate once it came. Sure enough, they are no where to be found. Does anyone know the specs on those screws?

Thanks!

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 16:42:05 »
tuco they are M2.5 6 mm. Though someone else mentioned 4 mm. You might want to measure the screws you currently have to be sure.

Offline tuco

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 18:36:17 »
tuco they are M2.5 6 mm. Though someone else mentioned 4 mm. You might want to measure the screws you currently have to be sure.

Thanks merlin64!

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 07:28:36 »

Installed a while ago but forgot to post, loving the extra weight! At some point I want to get an engraving done for it but it's really not a priority since it's hidden inside the case most of the time.

Thanks a ton merlin64 for the buy! Really ties the octagon together :thumb:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #248 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 13:08:44 »
UPDATE

So I've got almost everyone shipped out. Here's a public confession of what's taking so long.

I forgot to check flat rate shipping boxes when making the labels for ctrlx, beltet, and nguyenkimtam. So I voided the labels after they had paid, and I am currently waiting on PayPal to reimburse me the payments. My apologies to you guys. Your packages are all packed and ready to go, just a mess up on my part regarding the labels. Trying to resolve this soon.

Offline xauser

« Reply #249 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 13:44:36 »
Just received my plate, looks great. Thank You.