Author Topic: I'm gonna return my Razer Black Widow Ultimate - Which board as replacement?  (Read 5263 times)

Offline SpitfireX

So first my short history of owning a mechanical keyboard: I got my Razer Black Widow Ultimate two days ago and dazzled by the sheer awesomeness of this whole new input experience I didn't notice some defects on the board. Now I'm going to return the keyboard because of the poor quality of the coating on some keys and two *-keys in the numpad.

And now is my question whether I should give Razer a new try (because the keyboard itself is awesome) or if I should rather go for a Das Keyboard Model S (Although it has not all the cool features of the Black Widow like the illumination or the advanced driver, I'd rather go for good build quality than bling-bling).  

The price itself would make no difference because both keyboards are here 129,99€ (the Das Model S Ultimate 119,99€). Rationally considered the BWU would offer more features for the same price, but in my sight it is a no-go for such an expensive product having flaws I'd only expect from a 10€ cheap ass rubber dome keyboard.

Mainly I use my keyboard for typing but also for gaming. Is the Das Keyboard really better for typing than other mechanical keyboards? Because that is what a guy in a video comparison of some mechanical keyboards mentioned.

Considering the fact that problems with the build quality of the BW(U) are quite common I would rather tend to buy a Das Keyboard but on the other hand I really started liking my BW(U)...

HELP! :(
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 May 2011, 08:58:33 by SpitfireX »

Offline BaconKnight

Don't have first hand experience with either so take what I say with a grain of salt, but from general impressions I've picked up, of the two, Das Keyboard should be a noticeable improvement in terms of pure build quality. That doesn't surprise me as Das is marketed toward a connoisseur market while Razer is a mass market brand intended to be shipped en masse to big box retailers.

Judging by the currency you use, I'm guessing your European (that's anyplace across the Atlantic for us dumb Americans) so another good option might be Filco's from the keyboard.co.  They also have options in tenkeyless format, which I personally prefer (mouse hand is closer to natural arms width) although if you use the numpad alot, for work or hobby, stick with the full size.
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline Human

Quote from: SpitfireX;346116
So first my short history of owning a mechanical keyboard: I got my Razer Black Widow Ultimate two days ago and dazzled by the sheer awesomeness of this whole new input experience I didn't notice some defects on the board. Now I'm going to return the keyboard because of the poor quality of the coating on some keys and two *-keys in the numpad.

And now is my question whether I should give Razer a new try (because the keyboard itself is awesome) or if I should rather go for a Das Keyboard Model S (Although it has not all the cool features of the Black Widow like the illumination or the advanced driver, I'd rather go for good build quality than bling-bling).  

The price itself would make no difference because both keyboards are here 129,99€ (the Das Model S Ultimate 119,99€). Rationally considered the BWU would offer more features for the same price, but in my sight it is a no-go for such an expensive product having flaws I'd only expect from a 10€ cheap ass rubber dome keyboard.

Mainly I use my keyboard for typing but also for gaming. Is the Das Keyboard really better for typing than other mechanical keyboards? Because that is what a guy in a video comparison of some mechanical keyboards mentioned.

Considering the fact that problems with the build quality of the BW(U) are quite common I would rather tend to buy a Das Keyboard but on the other hand I really started liking my BW(U)...

HELP! :(

IMO, the moment you type out the bolded part, you had already made your own decision. You had fallen into the trap and poison of Razer bling bling and there is no cure for it until your pocket is dry...

Offline SpitfireX

Wow, that's what I'd call quick answers :D

@BaconKnight: To Specify "anyplace across the Atlantic", I'm living in Germany. Therefore I'd really prefer to have the German Layout due to characters like ö, ä, ü or ß and unfortunately there is only one Filco keyboard with Cherry Brown switches available directly at a German retailer with German layout. (and also I want to keep my numpad)
Referring to the build quality: The BWU isn't bad built, just some key caps... But it is obvious that the target market of these two products is clearly different and that the build quality of the Das probably is even better.

@Human: Well by now I really think that "falling in the trap of Razer bling-bling" applies. I took the BWU because of the Media Keys and the illumination which could be really helpful if you are sometimes in a quite dark environment... But after noticing that the fn key at the place of the right windows key is quite annoying, I reroutet these functions with Auto Hotkey to the left windows key...
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 May 2011, 09:26:40 by SpitfireX »

Offline canon.tk

If you're just looking for the best typing experience then I'd say get the best keyboard you can.  

I have a BWU and it's not a bad keyboard, it's just not for everyone.  While the media keys are really nice they shouldn't be the reason you stay with a board like that, also don't get stuck on back lighting.  Pretty much all boards that come with it have know issues.  My BWU doesn't have any, so you do stand a chance of getting a good one, but then you're stuck with coated keys.  Also you can get the non-ultimate which has pad printed key caps.  

What I would recommend is getting a Filco.  I can't speak for Das but I know people don't like them because of the finish, and I see people on here trading up to Filco from Das all the time.    

In short: don't get fixated on back lighting or media keys, and don't **** foot about spending money, just get a Filco.
Filco Majestouch 104 Cherry MX Black; Filco Majestouch 87 Ninja Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch Indigo Blue 104 Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Red; Leopold 87 Otaku Cherry MX Brown; Leopold 87 Cherry MX Brown; Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Offline False_Dmitry_II

You could get a deck. They're more, but have backlighting.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Larken

Hi, first time poster here.

I've tried the BWU, but haven't had the chance to get my hands on a DAS yet. But comparing the BWU against the few keyboards that I have tried (filco browns, blues, blacks, ducky browns, and cherry reds), I find the feel of the BWU (supposedly Cherry MX Blues) to be inferior to the blues of the Filco. Unless you want the macro functions of such gaming keyboards, I think you would be would be better off getting the DAS if you're limited to the two choices. I find typing on the BWU to be quite disappointing when compared against the other keyboard I've tried.

Curious: Aren't Cherry Keyboards made in Germany? I've managed to get one of those just a few days ago, and I enjoy it alot. Build seems a little flimsy, but the feel of the switches are superb.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline canon.tk

Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;346170
You could get a deck. They're more, but have backlighting.

Filco Majestouch 104 Cherry MX Black; Filco Majestouch 87 Ninja Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch Indigo Blue 104 Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Red; Leopold 87 Otaku Cherry MX Brown; Leopold 87 Cherry MX Brown; Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Offline pitashen

Seriously pretend that you have never seen and used that razer crap. I guess the only thing worthy of your money in that keyboard are the Cherry switches. :P
If Das is your next choice in line, get it. But do look around and give other brands some thoughts. Living in Germany if I were you I would even consider Cherry.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
wlcm 2 gh
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline SpitfireX

@canon.tk: In fact I also think that the Black Widow is not a bad Keyboard, I am just a bit unsatisfied with the build quality at the moment :/
Filco is also worth a thought. But the problem again is this "pesky" German layout. The only Filco I could buy directly in Germany would be with brown switches. There also would be the possibility to get one with black or blue switches from The Keyboard Company, but all German models are currently currently out of stock.

@ripster: Do you mean the quality of the whole keys or just the quality of the printing? I'm thinking of buying the ultimate version anyway...
Uh... "meh" in German... depends on the context, but in general I think it would be "na ja".
And yes, it would be "Das [Keyboard] ist", but only as long you use it in singular. If you speak of the plural it would be "Das [Keyboards] sind".

@False_Dmitry_II: Deck keyboards are afaik only available with the US layout. As I looked in the catalog of the German Deck reseller there were only US versions available.

@noodles256: Thanks :D

Offline canon.tk

I actually like my BWU, I think it gets a bad rap.

Offline Haes

Actually i found the black widow's (standard) built quality better than anything else from razer and in general good compared to other mechanical keyboards from so proclaimed gaming gear companies like steelseries, etc. But today i switched to filco majestouch 2 and switched most of a keys with cherry doubleshots. now i won't going back ever :) . thinking about buying form elitekeyboard the silencerpads and the roof.

Really like it and i'm wondering why i didn't bought a filco sooner. Now that i've one, i'm curious how the topre built quality can be slightly better than a majestouch 2 (mx blue) with doubleshots. for me it sounds impossible to achieve.
Daily Driver: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Blue) with Cherry ABS Doubleshots | Future Gaming Driver: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Red) with Cherry ABS Doubleshots | Favorite Switches: Cherry MX Blue > Cherry MX Red  > Cherry MX Ergo Clears > Cherry MX Black > Cherry MX Brown | Interessting in: Topre Realforce , Noppoo Choc Mini & KBC Poker[/COLOR]

Offline Haes

Quote from: ripster;346225
Only OCN truly hates the BWU.  And Human I think has some autosearch thing turned on because he's hatin' in anything that says Razer.  Never did see what the big deal  was here.

Ouch, that's unfortunate. I wouldn't buy the bwu because of the coated keycaps. It's the same coat which they use on the keycaps of the lycosa an they wear off pretty fast (first signs after 3 months using it). But you can't go wrong with the standard bw, if you don't need nkro or 6kro. They even use 1.5 sized modifier, so you can switch to winkeyless cherry doubleshots.

Now I looking for 1.25 sized modifier, win, menu - keys. A spacekeycap (dunno the size yet for filco) and a 1.75 sized capslock keycap /w centered cherry sterm in cherry grey /w black letters.
:(
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 May 2011, 13:36:20 by Haes »
Daily Driver: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Blue) with Cherry ABS Doubleshots | Future Gaming Driver: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Red) with Cherry ABS Doubleshots | Favorite Switches: Cherry MX Blue > Cherry MX Red  > Cherry MX Ergo Clears > Cherry MX Black > Cherry MX Brown | Interessting in: Topre Realforce , Noppoo Choc Mini & KBC Poker[/COLOR]

Offline Rockferd

Quote from: Haes;346241
Ouch, that's unfortunate. I wouldn't buy the bwu because of the coated keycaps. It's the same coat which they use on the keycaps of the lycosa an they wear off pretty fast (first signs after 3 months using it). But you can go wrong with the standard bw, if you don't need nkro or 6kro. They even use 1.5 sized modifier, so you can switch to winkeyless cherry doubleshots.

I think you meant can't?

Offline Haes

Quote from: Rockferd;346243
I think you meant can't?

indeed, thanks :)

Offline SpitfireX

So, because the driver of the Black Widow now started acting weird (everytime I open it my keyboard layout changes to Greek and I am basically not able to use any of the macro functions), I finally decided to get the Das Keyboard.
My last question now is: What are your experiences with blank keys? Would you recommend it?
I am not the best touch typist but I think it would be a good way to get better with it. (And the same time you can hold unwanted users off your computer...)

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
I had blank keys and didnt like them, so i peaced out
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
i dont roll w/ iso.

get up on my ansi
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
if i was the solutor, I would have the undying love for armor tanks.

i, on the other hand, like predatorial animals
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Larry Dallas

Quote from: ripster;346704
Damn, that gives me inspiration.  Group Key Buy needs a Tie-Dyed Peace Sign!
Show Image

A gay flag tie-dye peace sign at that!