Author Topic: [IC] ROTR Macro Pad and Knob - GB LIVE  (Read 76571 times)

Offline kwlodarczyk

[IC] ROTR Macro Pad and Knob - GB LIVE
« on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 12:24:35 »
ROTR and ROTR LITE GB is starting on December 11!

ROTR - https://mechboards.co.uk/shop/group-buy/polarity-works-rotr/

ROTR LITE - https://mechboards.co.uk/shop/group-buy/polarity-works-rotr-lite-group-buy/

Extra Knobs - https://mechboards.co.uk/shop/group-buy/rotr-extra-knob-group-buy/

Colour Options

ROTR is a 3 key macropad with a big knob.

After almost 6 months of development and prototyping the ROTR has arrived. The 3 man team at polarity works have been working almost non stop to make this the last macro pad with knob you’ll ever need. Drop some switches into the minimalist anodized aluminium housing, connect the usb C connector and the ultra bright RGB lights blaze into life and you’re ready to go!

After 4 revisions the knob mechanism has been perfected, using a pair of Japanese NMB bearings to float a precision machined steel shaft underneath a beautifully anodized and tactile knob. Underneath the shaft sits a magnet and under that some air. The only contact between the knob and the shaft is through the bearings. Unlike our cheaper competitors this means there is no notchiness, no clicks and almost no resistance. You can spin this knob by blowing on it gently! If greater resistance is desired there is the provision to put magnets in the knob to allow for eddy current braking. This has previously been used on Japanese shinkansen and German ICE3 high speed trains. The resistance can be varied through 12 levels by varying the position of the magnets, and it doesn’t make a difference to the silky smooth nature of the mechanism.

The knob on the ROTR is swappable, its non-contact mechanism meaning you can just pull the magnetically attached knob off and snap on a new one. We custom machined a tapered precision interface, the design of which we will release to the community to allow for third party knobs. We will offer replacement knobs made out of aluminium, brass and copper so you can make your ROTR fit your chosen aesthetic

The ROTR is fully programmable, using QMK firmware you can set up a wonderful combination of layers and macros to your heart’s content. The profile is online on the QMK configurator so making tweaks trivial and allows for an endless amount of customisation, volume knob, scrolling through the timeline in editing software or a cad controller, the options are limitless. If you decide that even that is not enough we broke out 8 I/O pins, the programming header and the led data out pin, allowing for hacking and modification to truly make it your own, add extra buttons, a second encoder, RGB underglow. It’s all possible without tricky surface mount soldering.

We would also like to introduce it's baby brother, the ROTR LITE, with the same ludicrously over-engineered encoder! the ROTR LITE has identical pcb and knob mechanism as the ROTR, but no aluminium case. This means eddy current braking would not exist (as there is no aluminium to create those eddy currents).

Group Buy Dates:

Start Date: 11th December 2020 12:00 AM GMT
End Date: 11th January 2021 12:00 AM GMT / when spots are filled

GB limits:

ROTR - 200 units max
ROTR LITE - 500 units max
Knobs - 1400 units max

Buying limits:

ROTR - limited to 1 per person
ROTR LITE - no limits
Knobs - no limits

Pricing:

Kits

kits do not come with a magnet kit, which is required for eddy current braking
ROTR with alu knob: £168.00
ROTR with brass knob: £180.00
ROTR with copper knob: £186.00

ROTR LITE with alu knob: £108.00
ROTR LITE with brass knob: £120.00
ROTR LITE with copper knob: £126.00

Optional extras:

ROTR case only: £120.00
Knob only (alu): £48.00
Knob only (brass): £60.00
Knob only (copper): £66.00
Magnet kit (6 countersunk magnets + screws): £14.40

Color options:

Silver aluminium anodized case
Black aluminium anodized case

Silver aluminium anodized knob
Black aluminium anodized knob
Brass sandblasted knob
Copper sandblasted knob

Vendors:

Worldwide: Mechboards https://mechboards.co.uk/shop/group-buy/polarity-works-rotr/
Page will be up soon

Estimated Dates:

11th Dec 2020 - Start GB
11th Jan 2021 - End GB
Q1 2021 - Manufacturing
Q2 2021 - assembly by Polarity Works, delivery to mechboards
Q3 2021 - shipping to buyers

17 October Update - Final Prototypes are Here!
I didn’t think I’ll be making a ROTR post this quick, but I am ecstatic to announce that the final prototype has gotten to us and it is perfect! This time we worked very closely with the manufacturer to get the finish we were after and it has really paid off.
The prototypes will be sent to me from Japan on Monday and I will assemble them with the PCBs and do a final inspection. Be sure to keep an eye out for a GB announcement in the near future!
05 September Update:
Hey everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates lately, my package with the prototype parts got held up at customs. Now that I have my hands of them I am very pleased to say that everything works and it looks great! The PCB took a bit of fiddling with to get working but after a few bodge wires, it fired into life.

Unfortunately, under the closer inspection of the CNC parts, we found many defects and problems that just couldn't be overlooked. The majority of these were cosmetic problems with the parts, things like deep tool marks on the knobs and cases or less than brilliant tolerances. In short, we no longer feel that the CNC company that made the prototypes can be trusted with large scale production and we are looking at another company. This will set the schedule back a bit but should ensure that the products that get to you guys are of high quality. We are also taking this time to try a new way of mounting the knobs that will let them be interchangeable, here's a video of a 3d printed prototype spinning!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SAGFUmZ65JX3VOrx6Qc7cpZHrHblcji6/view?usp=sharing

We know that not all of you want the knob to spin quite as much so we are also working on a way that will let you tune how much resistance there is on the knob. We'll keep you updated on this but I can promise you that it's very cool!

There are also a few other projects that we have been working on during all of this waiting around, keep an eye out for them in the next few weeks!

I am also very excited to announce that the vendor for the ROTR will be Mechboards!

And finally, we want to thank you all for the huge amount of interest and support you have shown for this project. I would have never been possible if not for you guys!

21 July Update:
The anodizing is now done, it's looking pretty good! There was a slight mix up and the CNC company accidentally made the knobs in copper instead of brass. What do you guys think of the sandblasted copper knob?

16 July Update:

The CNC company is done machining our initial prototypes, they just need to be anodized before they're ready!
Check out our Discord for more updates like these!

Here's a look at the prototype PCB too!

Concepts
Here are some renders of the ROTR with the KAT Iron and GMK Copper keycaps. A huge thank you to @fatboycarney for all of the help!
Be sure to check out the KAT Iron IC - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105689.0
As well as The Carnival Discord, he designed the beautiful keycaps you see here and more! - https://discord.gg/sb6jsyQ

GMK Copper

KAT Iron

If you like how these look it would be really useful if you could tell us here - https://forms.gle/e7nyy8VqFjZz9W8V7

ORIGINAL POST

Hey everyone!

Thank you for the huge amount of interest and feedback after the last post. We are turning this idea into reality!

Design Inspiration
The design takes inspiration from 20th century industrial design, with heavy references to the work of designer Dieter Rams and products like the Leica IIIg Chrome.
The ROTR sports gentle curves that cup your fingers when using the knob, while the rest of the case has quiet, rounded corners meant to pair well with most aluminium keyboards.

PCB

Features:

INTERCHANGEABLE KNOBS!
USB C
CNC milled aluminium case
Solid brass / aluminium knob
Free spinning magnetic rotary encoder
Rubber feet

Extra features (based on the amazing feedback from you guys since the last post):

QMK support, will ship pre-programmed and ready to use!
Hot swap switch sockets
RGB LEDs for switches
New black and brass colour scheme

https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/rotr

Pricing

The pricing will be announced when we receive the new case and knob prototypes from the CNC company.
As there were many requests for this, I am happy to say that there will be international shipping!

Moving forward
Case prototypes have been ordered, and will be delivered in roughly 3 weeks.
The PCB prototype has been ordered and will be delivered in roughly 2 weeks.
Fully working prototype assembled in hopefully 4 weeks.
If the finish of the machined parts is high enough quality then GB will start.

Update Summary

23/06/2020 Initial IC post
01/07/2020 More renders added, features confirmed
16/07/2020 Case and knob ready to be anodized, PCB prototype pictures
21/07/2020 Case and knob have been anodised, suprise copper knob
05/09/2020 Prototypes received, fully working prototype, new prototypes to be ordered, vendor announced

Feedback

We’d love to hear your guy's thoughts and comments on this project so far, any suggestions would be super helpful!

The IC form has been updated to give you guys a better look at the knob options, as well as some other info we think would help in planning our upcoming Group Buy.

https://forms.gle/UgeRqf52kf83DHKj6

Join our Discord server for the latest updates!

https://discord.gg/nuknf9K

Check out our Instagram here!
https://www.instagram.com/polarityworks/

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 18:07:32 by kwlodarczyk »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
Re: [IC] ROTR Volume Knob
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 12:38:00 »
Looks really nice. If the price is decent, I am all in!

Offline kyounger

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 13:04:01 »
Is the knob an infinite turn, or can you turn only so far clockwise/counterclockwise?

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 13:20:14 »
Is the knob an infinite turn, or can you turn only so far clockwise/counterclockwise?

It's infinite turn

Offline breckstar

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 13:37:02 »

It's infinite turn
If its infinite turn, I would suggest the knob have no notch for indication as it does not have any meaning.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 13:48:48 »

It's infinite turn
If its infinite turn, I would suggest the knob have no notch for indication as it does not have any meaning.

The idea behind the notch is as a place for your finger to grab when you're turning it. One of the knobs we're considering has no notch, if people prefer that, then that's what we'll go with.

Offline lamonayon

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 14:00:56 »
Lots of potential, depending on the app-support (if any) and price! Good idea!

Offline nebluh

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 15:27:20 »
love this

Offline ArtVandelay

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 15:55:47 »
I really love this. I filled out the feedback form and noted that a polished black case with the matte brass knob would be a really slick option! But I understand options are limited. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 16:00:07 »
I really love this. I filled out the feedback form and noted that a polished black case with the matte brass knob would be a really slick option! But I understand options are limited. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Thank you! A lot of people have been asking for the black and brass colour scheme, there seems to be enough interest for another run in the future!

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 16:08:03 »
Very cool.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 16:22:37 »

It's infinite turn

I agree with this but looks great either way

Offline kimchijody

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 16:44:14 »
Been looking for a pad like this so very interested. Filled out the form. I would love another row of keys for a total of 6. Also I assume the USB would be on the knob-side of the case? Additionally, I have to assume that this uses a custom PCB?

This would also probably need a custom PCB with QMK/VIA support. Do you have a proto in the works for that as well or is that still in the works?
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 June 2020, 16:50:12 by kimchijody »

Offline S3LQ

• Designer and keyboard enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 16:48:50 »
Reminds me a lot of the CU7, but somehow I like this better, I think what's buying me is the knob, love the design of the knob. For me to buy it I would like more renders, how it's looking behind, inputs ect. Also the price is important!

Offline Bax

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 17:15:24 »
Instant buy!

Offline Surface

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 23:33:44 »
Interested, love to see how this develop

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 03:12:54 »
Any details on the specific encoder? Less pulses = larger throw distance, good for big knobs  ;D

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 03:36:01 »
This is pretty dope. Loving the design of the rendered knob (bottom left in the form). Hope to see this progress

Offline manaorme

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 03:37:55 »
I do really need this 1knob+3keys macro pad for sure.
More than 3keys is too much for me.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 03:41:25 »
Been looking for a pad like this so very interested. Filled out the form. I would love another row of keys for a total of 6. Also I assume the USB would be on the knob-side of the case? Additionally, I have to assume that this uses a custom PCB?

This would also probably need a custom PCB with QMK/VIA support. Do you have a proto in the works for that as well or is that still in the works?

Yes, there's a USB C port on the knob side of the case. I'm designing the pcb at the moment and it'll have QMK support, I'll make an update when I make more progress on it!

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 03:43:53 »
Any details on the specific encoder? Less pulses = larger throw distance, good for big knobs  ;D

I'm actually making my own encoder! It will use a magnet and a sensing chip, I'll be able to program the number of pulses. Also, none of the parts will be in contact with each other so it will be really nice and smooth!

Offline Shiro

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 03:47:05 »
oh my god, she is beautiful! 

Offline holer

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 03:49:03 »
Looks great! :D

Are you planning on making it wireless?

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 03:53:44 »
Where would i place this? no idea. What do i need it for? no idea.

Gimme(unless its very expensive)

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 05:32:18 »
Looks great! :D

Are you planning on making it wireless?

I'd love to in future runs!

Offline manaorme

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 05:52:45 »

I'm actually making my own encoder! It will use a magnet and a sensing chip, I'll be able to program the number of pulses. Also, none of the parts will be in contact with each other so it will be really nice and smooth!

Extra encoder available?
I would like to have one or two extra encoders.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 06:21:46 »

Extra encoder available?
I would like to have one or two extra encoders.

I'd love to send you some but the encoder is an integral part of the knob. Unfortunately you'd have to machine an enclosure for it

Offline Pach

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 07:47:28 »
I hope the knob is as smooth turning as I imagine :cool:

Offline Solotov

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 08:35:22 »
Add an extra row to make it 6 keys please. And I'll be definitely in!  ;D
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 08:41:44 »
Add an extra row to make it 6 keys please. And I'll be definitely in!  ;D

If you leave your email on the feedback form I'll let you know if we do it!

Offline nebluh

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 09:39:38 »
A silver case black knob version would be perfect :o

Offline cypis666

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 16:43:39 »
Love it. I'm in if price is decent.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 22:26:18 »
A light blue version with a black knob would be awesome

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Offline riterdando

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 01:50:31 »
Really like the design with the big knob!
I would like to have 6 keys, like someone else mentioned above.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 04:36:31 »
I'd like to also suggest both anodized parts for the case and the knob. I much prefer a sandblasted look everything. So no polished aluminum or brass.

For the knob, aluminum or steel would be best.

Offline syke

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 05:27:30 »
subscribed.

Offline TacoTypes

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 15:44:50 »
Looks really nice. If the price is decent, I am all in!
^^^

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 20:48:59 »
What sets this apart from something like the CU7 from capsunlocked?

Offline 1corazon

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 23:44:02 »
PLEASE MAKE THIS !!! For the love of god PLEASE - This look  wicked!!!.

Some advise  - If this is CNC out of a solid piece of aluminium i will definitely buy this.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 03:59:52 »

The knob! I have designed my own magnetic rotary encoder so that it doesn't have detents and feels frictionless to turn. Like the scroll wheel on a Logitech MX Master mouse.
As for the functionality. It also has qmk, hot-swap sockets and USB C, just the one though. RGB is also a possibility.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 04:02:33 »
PLEASE MAKE THIS !!! For the love of god PLEASE - This look  wicked!!!.

Some advise  - If this is CNC out of a solid piece of aluminium i will definitely buy this.

Thank you! Yes, the case is CNCed from a solid piece of aluminium. Solid brass knob too!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 05:56:00 »
I can see you are from the UK but are you also considering selling this from the EU. Asking because of taxes!

Offline Solotov

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 06:33:24 »

- Knob
- Material (brass)
- Color
- Faster GB (maybe)  ;D
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 06:35:30 »

- Knob
- Material (brass)
- Color
- Faster GB (maybe)  ;D
So then I would be interested depending on the price so kind of a paradox lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 07:35:22 »
I can see you are from the UK but are you also considering selling this from the EU. Asking because of taxes!

Sorry, not for this run. Potentially in the future though!

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 07:37:32 »

- Knob
- Material (brass)
- Color
- Faster GB (maybe)  ;D

Will be announcing the price as soon as we have a prototype from the CNC company!

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 07:38:21 »

- Knob
- Material (brass)
- Color
- Faster GB (maybe)  ;D

Will be announcing the price as soon as we have a prototype from the CNC company!
Is there a rough ETA on that or is it up in the air due to covid?

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 08:02:48 »
Do you have an estimated price point for this?

Offline simimax

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 08:34:00 »
Since this render looks like it's made from a solid block of aluminum, and that'll probably be really expensive, would it be possible that there's a cheaper version made from cheaper materials such as Acrylic?

Offline DogSpark

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 14:05:50 »
I agree with some of the above comments regarding 6 instead of 3 keys.  I would also love to see it wireless if possible.