Author Topic: Passive USB-to-PS/2 adapters: does more than one type exist?  (Read 791 times)

Offline Donut

Passive USB-to-PS/2 adapters: does more than one type exist?
« on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 11:27:11 »
Some USB keyboards and mice have dual-protocol controllers, allowing them to be connected to a PS/2 port with a simple passive adapter. Sometimes the keyboard would have come with an adapter when new.

But, is there one de-facto standard pinout for these passive adapters? Or are different converters needed for different makes/models of keyboard and mouse? I've seen turquoise adapters with a mouse symbol on, and purple adapters with a keyboard symbol on. Are they actually identical internally?

I have some USB keyboards and want to check whether they're dual USB- & PS/2-compatible. But I only have a turquoise mouse-symbol adapter here, which doesn't work for them. It is worth buying a purple passive adapter to test?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Passive USB-to-PS/2 adapters: does more than one type exist?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 11:34:36 »
I have had good luck with the cheap-o passive ones, but you do need the keyboard type.

As I recall, a mouse has 3 connections and a keyboard has 4.

Just because there are pins visible in the plug does not mean that they are actually connected to anything.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"