Author Topic: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]  (Read 657669 times)

Offline spspencer

Re: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Nexus [In Development]
« Reply #850 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:30:34 »
What I love about my Ergodox is the ability to have so many layers. I could have all the layouts on different layers! What I hate about my Ergodox is never knowing what layer I'm on, so I end up using the default.

I noticed on your 70% you have 10 LEDs, 5 per side. Is the current plan to use those to denote which layer is active? I think having some way to see which layer you are on would be great to include at the base level. I also love backlihgting/color changing LEDs, but that is more "bling" then functional, so I would expect to pay more for that functionality.

Will you be beta testing only the split, or one of the 70% flavors?

Awesome work, Thanks!

Offline wesleyh

« Reply #851 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 03:18:46 »
An interesting tweeet by Carmack (who now works on occulus VR):

If a keyboard had a one bit touch sensor on each key, you could make an effective display and use it in VR.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/375328478603653121

Imagine using this keyboard in Virtual Reality.

Offline bobkare

« Reply #852 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:51:52 »
I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, and have to add my voice to the mob of fans: sooo much awesomeness!

What I love about my Ergodox is the ability to have so many layers. I could have all the layouts on different layers! What I hate about my Ergodox is never knowing what layer I'm on, so I end up using the default.

I noticed on your 70% you have 10 LEDs, 5 per side. Is the current plan to use those to denote which layer is active? I think having some way to see which layer you are on would be great to include at the base level. I also love backlihgting/color changing LEDs, but that is more "bling" then functional, so I would expect to pay more for that functionality.

I've also got enough layers I sometimes forget which are active, and am trying out a possible solution: an RGB LED. Got it soldered yesterday (a bit of a pain since it's really an SMD part and I hand-soldered it to wires), but haven't got the firmware changes done yet. I'm thinking of using it in something like several axes, with base layers giving different hues while overlays control saturation or something like it. Could of course just be an unworkable idea, but at minimum I've definitely got three very different colors.

Oh, and AcidFire: I've been playing with the TMK firmware this weekend, and the debug channel it has is pretty neat, have you considered adding something like it?

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #853 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 13:32:45 »
I hope PayPal doesn't throw a spanner in the works  :rolleyes:
It shouldn't, since I've gotten my Multiplxd paypal account approved as a business account now, and this would be straight up payment for product.

I can't use paypal :(. It would be ideal if we are able to give the payment using credit/debit cards.
Kickstarter (US) edition use credit cards via amazon (at least it did last year). Paypal is too painful to use for me too.
Unfortunately Paypal will probably be the only option to pay for the beta kits, but you should be able to use your credit/debit card for the kickstarter just like any other account. Remember as well that you can pay through paypal without needing an account, there is usually an option to pay without signing into an account, they just don't make it big & flashy.

Agreed. real keyboarders are willing to wait years if necessary.
Good to know :D I definitely want to get this right, and for a good price. That means I can't rush it, as much as I'm tempted to.

An interesting tweeet by Carmack (who now works on occulus VR):

If a keyboard had a one bit touch sensor on each key, you could make an effective display and use it in VR.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/375328478603653121

Imagine using this keyboard in Virtual Reality.
Technically, I could do this as an option down the road with an add-on board. I can only imagine the kind of attention I could get to something like the kickstarter or the boards in general if I were able to show Carmack a working add-on to give touch feedback from the keys.

Will you be beta testing only the split, or one of the 70% flavors?
Awesome work, Thanks!
I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, and have to add my voice to the mob of fans: sooo much awesomeness!

I've also got enough layers I sometimes forget which are active, and am trying out a possible solution: an RGB LED. Got it soldered yesterday (a bit of a pain since it's really an SMD part and I hand-soldered it to wires), but haven't got the firmware changes done yet. I'm thinking of using it in something like several axes, with base layers giving different hues while overlays control saturation or something like it. Could of course just be an unworkable idea, but at minimum I've definitely got three very different colors.

Oh, and AcidFire: I've been playing with the TMK firmware this weekend, and the debug channel it has is pretty neat, have you considered adding something like it?

Yes, that's one of the configurable options for the LEDs. I'm also looking at a small display module that would do something similar without being a stupidly expensive add-on.

As for the beta testing, I will only be building enough electronics for around 25 kits, and beta testers will be able to choose which casing they want to test. Beta testers will also be able to opt to pay (cost) for additional cases if they wish, to which they will be able to purchase & add electronics to later when the kickstarter is made available.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to check out the TMK firmware in depth, but I do want to figure out some way of providing a debug channel for the processor. The major difference right now is still learning the ins & outs of the ARM to ensure I can get it working the way it needs to to provide this sort of functionality.

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #854 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 00:21:43 »
Been gone for a while and just thought I would check in. Can't wait for the beta! Looks like your making great progress! Hope you get the PCBs in soon. Also can't wait to start programming the single color keyboard as I had tons of fun working with my kinesis backlit one. LEDs and hoping you continue working on the RGB add on. :)

Offline Piotr Dobrogost

« Reply #855 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 16:21:14 »
@AcidFire
Is beta program still open?
Can people from Europe participate?

Offline Lumune

« Reply #856 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 17:40:15 »
I wish I knew about this project before I dropped my money on Ergodox round3 on MassDrop.... :(
spending too much money on keyboard already....

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #857 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 23:20:41 »
Don't know if anyone mentioned this before. Using the changeable LED to indicate different layer of the keyboard would be a great idea IMHO
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline kaltar

« Reply #858 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 15:15:52 »
We are like kids in a road trip: "are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #859 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 08:08:15 »

Haha! I agree.

Everyday I wait for that PM asking for the money...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #860 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 12:11:21 »

Haha! I agree.

Everyday I wait for that PM asking for the money...
Working on it, learning the ins & outs of the ARM is taking time, but will be well worth it, especially speed wise. I know other input devices I've seen using the same processor family boast some amazingly fast response times, I want to ensure I can offer the same.

@AcidFire
Yes the beta is still open to applications, and is not region limited, as long as you understand that with being in Europe the shipping costs do end up being a bit higher.

Don't know if anyone mentioned this before. Using the changeable LED to indicate different layer of the keyboard would be a great idea IMHO
Already on the main set of features to be included by default in the first firmware.

Been gone for a while and just thought I would check in. Can't wait for the beta! Looks like your making great progress! Hope you get the PCBs in soon. Also can't wait to start programming the single color keyboard as I had tons of fun working with my kinesis backlit one. LEDs and hoping you continue working on the RGB add on. :)
I've gotten the PCBs for the breakout chips in and assembled. Right now as previously mentioned I'm working on getting the ARM firmware running solidly, while trying to spec out a simple communications protocol to allow control of the LEDs from apps running PC side.

Offline Piotr Dobrogost

« Reply #861 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:22:28 »
@AcidFire
Yes the beta is still open to applications, and is not region limited, as long as you understand that with being in Europe the shipping costs do end up being a bit higher.

Then please count me in or tell me where to sign up.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #862 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:54:45 »
I love how this project has inspired at least 5 people to register on GH so they can join the beta.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline spspencer

« Reply #863 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:55:29 »
I love how this project has inspired at least 5 people to register on GH so they can join the beta.

Lol, I was one of those five. Been lurking two-ish years; I love my ergodox, but I need this one.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #864 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 17:00:37 »
I love the look and idea of the ergodox but I don't think I could switch to one. Maybe if someone came out with a single sided one that I could use as a gaming pad...

Offline kaltar

« Reply #865 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 00:12:48 »
Will it be possible to add more keys later on? I'm thinking about the palm buttons that sordna added http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=26579 those are really usefull!

Offline Demonmaker

« Reply #866 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 07:21:07 »
I love the look and idea of the ergodox but I don't think I could switch to one. Maybe if someone came out with a single sided one that I could use as a gaming pad...

This particular Ego is already like that, the two parts are completely separate, so you could in effect use just one part as a gamepad, like the razer products you see, but this being obviously better and much more customizable.  ;D

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #867 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 19:29:31 »
Quote from: AcidFire
As Thinplum mentioned, I do all my designs in Illustrator, which are then cut on a 60w Epliog Helix. I don't use anything for a 3D CAD package, I do all the solid geometry in my head, which admittedly doesn't always work quite the way I want. As for the PCBs, everything is done in Altium Designer, which has a bit of a steeper learning curve but I find far more flexible to use than Eagle. I've been testing a couple of different PCB protyping houses to figure out the best ratio between cost & quality, as well as delivery time.
Dang, that is even more impressive. You are on a different level, up there with Andrew (bunnie) Huang even. <bow> Hopefully I am on your level some day!

Offline router.exe

« Reply #868 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 16:44:40 »
subscribed.  very interesting in this keyboard.
TECK 207 MX-Browns

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #869 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 16:52:13 »
I completely forgot to share something as well. Taking inspiration from another design on the forums (I believe it was the GHpad), I retooled the thumb board with some happy results:

The new design is on the left, the old on the right. There are a number of advantages of the new design:
- 21 Cherry MX mount points, maximum usable is 12. The midway spaced spots allow a mix of 1u & 2u keys.
- Ambidextrous, reducing the cost of board production as I only need one PCB stencil, and I would be doubling the number of PCBs to be ordered, bringing down the cost per board.
- Various combinations can be done with a single board. The layout is determined using 6 jumpers to allow the board to identify itself to the controller.
- LEDs are oriented toward the user in a split board configuration, and towards the user when used as a standalone module.

I'm considering doing the same with the main boards, allowing for a couple of different configuration options, however they will still need be two seperate designs. Also, this obviously can affect the RGB addons, but thats something I'll deal with when the time comes.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #870 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 18:59:31 »
Regarding the RGB addon and lesser room for traces, considered making more layered PCB? Not just 2, maybe 3, 4? So you actually minimse the number of PCBS actually needed. This means less sorting as well.

Offline FiskFisk33

« Reply #871 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 02:04:58 »
I completely forgot to share something as well. Taking inspiration from another design on the forums (I believe it was the GHpad), I retooled the thumb board with some happy

are those rotated 90 degrees?
as far as I understand caps doesn't fit well on switches rotated 90 degrees. :/

Offline Neebio

• Dance Master
« Reply #872 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:54:26 »
I completely forgot to share something as well. Taking inspiration from another design on the forums (I believe it was the GHpad), I retooled the thumb board with some happy

are those rotated 90 degrees?
as far as I understand caps doesn't fit well on switches rotated 90 degrees. :/

MX switch stems are symmetrical.  There should be no difference at all to the key cap if the switch is rotated.

Edit: I stand corrected, see MOZ below.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 14:08:03 by Neebio »
RK9000RE w/ Raindrop & DDR arrow keys
Cherry G80-11900LUMEU-2 w/ Red/Black SA keys

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #873 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:41:58 »
Actually they are not, the arms on the + are thinner on the top and bottom ones as  compared to the ones on the left and right.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #874 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 14:36:40 »
True, but typically (at least with the keysets I have here) the + is molded symetrically, and I haven't had any problems with fitment yet, but i will definitely make a note of it.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #875 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 14:42:51 »
I've mounted caps at 90 and 180 degrees.  Certainly feels a bit different when they go on, but haven't had any problems with them not staying on or not coming off, they feel stable enough.

Perhaps I've been lucky.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #876 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 18:13:11 »
Could probably just slap DSA caps on there so rotating it would be no problem.

Are steel/aluminum plate mounts still a possibility? Not sure how layering for the case would work if you had the plates the right thickness so switches could 'snap in'.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #877 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 14:03:50 »

Are steel/aluminum plate mounts still a possibility? Not sure how layering for the case would work if you had the plates the right thickness so switches could 'snap in'.

what I would most likely do with an aluminum or steel plate is go with 3mm, just like the acrylic, and mill the portion around the keys down to 1.5mm. The acrylic case may end up a bit obsolete as the new tech who just started at work has experience designing injection molded cases and is interested in helping me with it, but it's a bit of wait and see as IM is still more expensive to get spun up than laser cut acrylic.

On the development front, I spent the weekend with my new dev boards, and I have a few answers for some of the things we've been discussing.

- Yes, I can have the microSD connect & disconnect with a keypress/macro/command
- The current libraries available for the chip don't seem to support SDXC cards (yet.) I'm sure something could be ported, but it's not currently a priority.
- From what I can tell, theres nothing stopping proper NKRO over USB -but- this still needs to be explored.
- Because of the way the clock works on the chip, I keep catching myself making little errors with timing. In the next revision or two I'll be putting together a small library to make this easier on myself and those of you wishing to hack/modify the firmware.

Progress has been steady, despite the development environment being less than intuitive. I'm currently porting & updating libraries for talking to the control chips to take advantage of the faster I2C bus on the ARM. The other good news to share is that the Bluetooth Dev kit I ordered came in today, so I'll have that on hand ready to test when the firmware is done :D

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #878 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 14:33:20 »

what I would most likely do with an aluminum or steel plate is go with 3mm, just like the acrylic, and mill the portion around the keys down to 1.5mm. The acrylic case may end up a bit obsolete as the new tech who just started at work has experience designing injection molded cases and is interested in helping me with it, but it's a bit of wait and see as IM is still more expensive to get spun up than laser cut acrylic.

Sounds like a good plan, 3mm thick aluminum plates would be lovely. May as well go all the way and get a full anodized aluminum case with matching anodized countersunk screws.  :cool:

Offline elllit

« Reply #879 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:37:21 »
I am new... and count me in!

I was looking for a new keyboard and came across the ergodox... and a couple of days later I found this thread.
I really like what you did. :thumb:

Separating the thumb cluster from the other part of the keyboard is a good idea and will facilitate further modding, imho. For instance changing distance and angle between the boards to adopt for different hand sizes - I for, one, don't have very long fingers ;)

What's the progress on the project?

-- elllit

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #880 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:42:02 »

Sounds like a good plan, 3mm thick aluminum plates would be lovely. May as well go all the way and get a full anodized aluminum case with matching anodized countersunk screws.  :cool:

Sounds like an expensive addon  :'(
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #881 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:08:57 »
I am new... and count me in!

I was looking for a new keyboard and came across the ergodox... and a couple of days later I found this thread.
I really like what you did. :thumb:

Separating the thumb cluster from the other part of the keyboard is a good idea and will facilitate further modding, imho. For instance changing distance and angle between the boards to adopt for different hand sizes - I for, one, don't have very long fingers ;)

What's the progress on the project?

-- elllit
Glad to have you aboard. Right now, the prototype cases are designed, the board designs have been updated, and I'm currently working to finish the first edition of the firmware. I may or may not be typing this post on the latest version of the firmware  :rolleyes:. Once the firmware is done, I'll be ordering the next spin of the boards, and once I get the first set of the new boards assembled and tested, I'll be emailing those people I've selected for the first round of beta.

Sounds like an expensive addon  :'(

I'm working on making the aluminum stuff as affordable as possible. As mentioned before, it'll all come down to volume. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if I mentioned this already but I've spoken with a rep from Cherry who has given me a rough estimate of what kind of numbers I would need to order from them to deal with them on an ongoing basis, but still haven't received a price. I was told I'd be looking at a 300K switch order if I want to deal with them right away and get better pricing, otherwise I'd have to spend 6-12months establishing a baseline number of orders before they'd consider it.

So, in order to get you guys the lowest price possible, I'm working out a plan to be able to afford such a large order. Most of that will include making harder to find switch colors available on a regular basis, as well as value packs that I will first offer through the kickstarter campaign, and then later through the web store I'm currently developing. The plan is to price these switches lower than they typically can be obtained for, while not shooting myself in the foot either.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #882 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 15:28:35 »
Does that 300k mean of one switch type, or total with all the switch types cherry can offer? Either way that's still quite a high MOQ.

Maybe check around for how many can provide their own switches? Unless you want to offer the board in the long run and not just a single group buy or something.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #883 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 15:40:47 »
Woa, 300k is a lot of switches, but that's to be expected from Cherry since they are supplying big companies. Maybe you could try to find some suppliers if you intend to go for big numbers while not going for that big a number. You would not get that good of a price, but still maybe get a decent discount. Or maybe contact 7bit, he might be able to help you (or even team up with you). Just giving ideas, but who knows, maybe one could work!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #884 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 15:43:35 »
Just be careful of over extending. I'm hoping to buy plenty of increasingly interesting  stuff from you over the next few years...
Please don't think I'm trying to put you off.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #885 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 15:52:51 »
Woa, 300k is a lot of switches, but that's to be expected from Cherry since they are supplying big companies. Maybe you could try to find some suppliers if you intend to go for big numbers while not going for that big a number. You would not get that good of a price, but still maybe get a decent discount. Or maybe contact 7bit, he might be able to help you (or even team up with you). Just giving ideas, but who knows, maybe one could work!
I haven't talked to 7bit, but the quotes I've gotten back from other suppliers.... Suck. they leave me no room for mark up, not even enough to make it worth my time just to count them out for kits.

Does that 300k mean of one switch type, or total with all the switch types cherry can offer? Either way that's still quite a high MOQ.

Maybe check around for how many can provide their own switches? Unless you want to offer the board in the long run and not just a single group buy or something.
I'm not sure, I believe thats just a number for total number of parts ordered from them. I've already emailed the rep I've been talking to asking for clarification. The MOQ is high, but not unattainable. The biggest thing is to have a plan on how to move them at a reasonable rate, which I think I have.

And yes, thats the other half of the equation. I'm looking to be in it for the long haul with this if it does well, so having a reasonable supply on hand is a good thing. It'll all come down to numbers and what kind of pricing i can get per switch.

Just be careful of over extending. I'm hoping to buy plenty of increasingly interesting  stuff from you over the next few years...
Please don't think I'm trying to put you off.
Not at all. The advantages of working where I do includes such advice. I believe in what I'm working on, and I've had such a solid response both here and externally that the switches are one of the few things I'm willing to take an extra risk on, in part because I know I wouldn't have trouble selling them even at a price to recoup my costs. One of the harder things I've had to deal with, and I've seen be a problem for others, is getting ahold of switches in reasonable lot sizes at what should be lot pricing. I aim to change that, to make it easier for people like myself to worry more about innovation than being able to source parts.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #886 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 16:19:30 »
Have you looked into sourcing keycaps? Black/blank PBT DSA sets from SP are probably the way to go (maybe with blue deep dishes for the home row :cool:).

Also, this really is shaping up to be a fantastic board (it can't be said enough).

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #887 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 16:24:51 »
Have you looked into sourcing keycaps? Black/blank PBT DSA sets from SP are probably the way to go (maybe with blue deep dishes for the home row :cool:).

Also, this really is shaping up to be a fantastic board (it can't be said enough).

Oh yes, the people at SP have been amazing, I already have quotes for everything I need. I have numbers for blanks of both DSA & DCS, as well as sets that have the 1u keys labelled (double shot) and some different options for the 1.5u & 2u keys.

Offline linziyi

« Reply #888 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 17:27:56 »
Would you please include some rarer switches as well? I am particularly interested in grey (tactile) switches :|
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #889 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 17:49:40 »
Would you please include some rarer switches as well? I am particularly interested in grey (tactile) switches :|

Can definitely look at it, which model switch are you looking for?

Offline linziyi

« Reply #890 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 18:18:31 »
I am quite fond on heavy tactile switches, the one I mentioned is this one: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Grey.
Would be great if we can get some info about Cherry MX Super Grey from the company... But I know I am asking for too much there :|
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #891 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 18:59:10 »
The people at SP have been amazing

this

They're great. I once asked them for a quote on some caps. They got back to me in a matter of hours.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline sordna

« Reply #892 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 23:38:30 »
One of the harder things I've had to deal with, and I've seen be a problem for others, is getting ahold of switches in reasonable lot sizes at what should be lot pricing. I aim to change that, to make it easier for people like myself to worry more about innovation than being able to source parts.

Maybe you can work with WASD Keyboards, Kinesis, Mechanicalkeyboards.com, Originative, or other small companies that sell switches, and sell them portions of your 300k switch order.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #893 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 01:38:17 »
One of the harder things I've had to deal with, and I've seen be a problem for others, is getting ahold of switches in reasonable lot sizes at what should be lot pricing. I aim to change that, to make it easier for people like myself to worry more about innovation than being able to source parts.

Maybe you can work with WASD Keyboards, Kinesis, Mechanicalkeyboards.com, Originative, or other small companies that sell switches, and sell them portions of your 300k switch order.

Yup, thats definitely a possibility. Also, you'll be happy to know I've already intergrated & implimented your peizo, does pretty nice for clicking sounds ;)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #894 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 01:52:12 »
That's great.  The sound my kinesis makes when the switch activates was the only thing that got me out of the habit of bottoming out.

Offline elllit

« Reply #895 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 02:45:32 »
Glad to have you aboard. Right now, the prototype cases are designed, the board designs have been updated, and I'm currently working to finish the first edition of the firmware. I may or may not be typing this post on the latest version of the firmware  :rolleyes:. Once the firmware is done, I'll be ordering the next spin of the boards, and once I get the first set of the new boards assembled and tested, I'll be emailing those people I've selected for the first round of beta.

This sounds great. Is the beta still open for applicants?

I'm working on making the aluminum stuff as affordable as possible. As mentioned before, it'll all come down to volume. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if I mentioned this already but I've spoken with a rep from Cherry who has given me a rough estimate of what kind of numbers I would need to order from them to deal with them on an ongoing basis, but still haven't received a price. I was told I'd be looking at a 300K switch order if I want to deal with them right away and get better pricing, otherwise I'd have to spend 6-12months establishing a baseline number of orders before they'd consider it.

Phew... 300k. They certainly play with big numbers.

Offline sordna

« Reply #896 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 10:44:30 »
Also, you'll be happy to know I've already intergrated & implimented your peizo, does pretty nice for clicking sounds ;)

GASP ... I totally did not expect you would actually act upon my old post. This is AWESOME ! 

... typed on my piezo-clicky ergodox :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #897 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 13:36:52 »
I am quite fond on heavy tactile switches, the one I mentioned is this one: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Grey.
Would be great if we can get some info about Cherry MX Super Grey from the company... But I know I am asking for too much there :|

I'd be most interested in the MX Grey switches as well, even if you decide to carry some for add-on sales.  I'm also a tactile switch fan; any of the MX White, MX Clear or MX Green switches would be awesome.

:thumb:

Offline anotherjunkie

« Reply #898 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:32:13 »
once I get the first set of the new boards assembled and tested, I'll be emailing those people I've selected for the first round of beta.

Haha, I check for this email compulsively. Just in case I missed it somehow....

Its great to see that you're using a new version of the firmware, and with all of the different ideas you've mentioned for off-shoots I don't think that you'd have any trouble unloading the excess switches. That being said... I know you said that you'd like to, and I really think you ought to gear up to be in this for the long haul. I mentioned to you in my original email that I've been through numerous keyboards because of my hands, and I just don't believe that anything can compare to the way you've designed this. With the right exposure, these may be trying to go out the door faster than you can put them together.

And now there is the possibility of Aluminum? I think reading that for the first time actually made me start drooling a bit. That would be so damn cool!

I do have a request of you, given that possibility: will you do a good weight comparison (ideally to two decimal places, in grams) between the acrylic body and the aluminum body for us and post the photos? Neither keyboard would need to be assembled, since I'm assuming the inside pieces of each would weigh the same...

Offline doublethink665

« Reply #899 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 19:16:29 »
I also keep checking for the email :-)
I have been too swamped at work the past month to check my email and little demons have been dancing 'round my head, chanting "you're gonna miss the beta!"
I have been following this thread since July and every time I check back in, I get more impressed with this project.
I have been on a quest for the perfect keyboard since the 90s and this is the best one I have ever seen. My biggest problem is that what is 'perfect' for me changes depending on what I am doing. I love the adjustability of the keyboard. The more I can adjust it, the better.

Right now I am typing on a laptop keyboard and it feels like typing on a trampoline. My old keyboards have all had rubber domes of varying stiffness. I like the quietness of them, but the amount of force involved in pressing them hurts my fingers over time. I often spend 10 or more hours a day at a keyboard and I don't want to have to quit because of my hands.
My current keyboard is a cheapo wireless keyboard with rubber domes, but the keys take almost no pressure to press and they are very quiet. I type at all hours of the night and I have very sensitive hearing, so being quiet is a big factor for me. From what I have seen with mechanical keyboards, making them quiet is a challenge, but there are many things to try.